• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
hi i just wanted to point out that people have varying opinions~ ; v ;
1. just because you think all of those are the same as a sword, doesn't mean that they really are. c'mon, each weapon has different speeds, range, and attack power. sure they're similar, but it does create variety in a sense.
2. it's true that he's a very unknown character to many these days. but just because you don't know him, doesn't mean others don't! (plus, smash tends to bring back old school characters such as pit and ice climbers!)
3. (music really doesn't have anything to do with him being in p:m, you're right) but i'm assuming marakatu was just trying to say that back in the day, the game was fairly popular.
4. some of it really wouldn't translate well into smash, you're right again. buut, the other "some" would be pretty interesting to see~
5. again, im assuming that he was just trying to say that the game was fairly popular world-wide, so it would be nice to see it get some representation in a more popular game.
6. (same as 5)

sorry if this came off as a bit rude, i'm not trying to start anything. i just wanted to let you know that people will always have different opinions on things. and just because their opinion might be different from yours, doesn't mean you should be a "douche" as you call yourself. again, sorry if i came off as rude. have a good day sir ; v ;
1) That's reallly more of a playstyle thing so whatever unique normals Takamaru can have can be translated into another character with a gimmick.
2) It's MY vote.
3) This is not Smash 4. It's not popular now and it's my vote and I don't know him.
4) Would it really be as cool as Issac or Lyn or Epidermolyctic hyperkeratosis?
5) Same as 3
6) Same as 3
No you're finemyou weren't rude :)
1) I agree. And that's why it would be so easy to clone his moves.
2) and 3) I'm just saying that he's liked by multiple fanbases. Fans of retro games like him. Fans of good videogame music like him. If there's a reason to include more characters in Project M, that reason is "fandom". I'm sure they think "how would people react to this character?" when choosing a character for the clone engine.
4) We are not programmers. They would make it work. They made Mewtwo work. They made Project M work.
5) Err, I know? What do this have to do with what I said?
6) Fans of Golden Sun and Advance Wars would kill for a reference in Nintendo Land or Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS. Or anywhere, really.

Anyway, you said you didn't know why people wanted him, and know you know.
1) Issac and Lyn
2/3) But I don't like him.
4) Would walking on water translate well to Smash? Would becoming invisible translate well to Smash? Would riding a bear?
5) It's more like your explaining his chances of being in Smash 4 than convincing someone to retract their downvote.
6) See 5. I'd kill for a Photo Dojo reference in Nintendo Land or anywhere:troll:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Finally updated the OP! There still have a been a ton of new votes since that tally though.

Last edited:

muleet

Smash Apprentice
I am sorry if this question has already been asked, but, will there be a reset of the votes? After the announce of the first new character, for example.
A reset of the votes could be important since it would reset the inertia of the votes (any new voters is voting according to precedent votes, so there is an inertia where most people votes/downvotes on the same characters, while more character than that can be interesting). That would also be easier for people who voted a long time ago to "refresh" their opinions.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
If a reset happens after or even before the next character is revealed, i think the following should be considered -

1. LOCKING THE CANDIDATES. Even considering the characters that probably warrant being dropped from the current choices, We have a large pool of characters to vote on now. Adding candidates halfway through a voting process is just rediculous.

2. As mentioned, trim some of the obviously not happening characters ie. With the inclusion of hector armour ike, we can logically dictate hector isn't going to be in.

3. A proper points tallying poll, not this Reddit/Youtube comment upvote downvote bull****. this way every character gets rated in some form or another, and there's less room for arguing over downvote "legitimacy".

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
1) Issac and Lyn
4) Would walking on water translate well to Smash? Would becoming invisible translate well to Smash? Would riding a bear?
5) It's more like your explaining his chances of being in Smash 4 than convincing someone to retract their downvote.
6) See 5. I'd kill for a Photo Dojo reference in Nintendo Land or anywhere:troll:
1) They are really cool aren't they?
2/3) Why?
4) They ability to walk on fluids could work as a recovery move, since air is a fluid. Invisibility would work as a evasion move (like Lucario's down b, Greninja's down b or even Sheik's up b). Bear riding wouldn't really be necessary, despite the fact that it would look cool. But, if you ever played Jump Ultimate Stars, it could work like the 3-koma helper of Katsura, from Gintama, A running-around-the-stage move. The closest thing to that in Smash would be Yoshi's forward b.
5) It's more like I'm saying why I think he deserves the slot.
6) That would actually be really cool.

Seriously though, you are making legitimate questions, you don't sound like a hater, you actually sound like you are indifferent to him. Why downvote a character you are indifferent to?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If a reset happens after or even before the next character is revealed, i think the following should be considered -

1. LOCKING THE CANDIDATES. Even considering the characters that probably warrant being dropped from the current choices, We have a large pool of characters to vote on now. Adding candidates halfway through a voting process is just rediculous.

2. As mentioned, trim some of the obviously not happening characters ie. With the inclusion of hector armour ike, we can logically dictate hector isn't going to be in.

3. A proper points tallying poll, not this Reddit/Youtube comment upvote downvote bull****. this way every character gets rated in some form or another, and there's less room for arguing over downvote "legitimacy".
All those will probably happen. I'm not sure how the points will change, but I don't see what's wrong with the current downvote system. It's actually working in the sense that we're exposing unreasonable votes that shouldn't have happened.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
All those will probably happen. I'm not sure how the points will change, but I don't see what's wrong with the current downvote system. It's actually working in the sense that we're exposing unreasonable votes that shouldn't have happened.
It's more like if you downvote something everyone turns into a wild starving pack of dogs and you just suddenly happen to smell like bacon

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It's more like if you downvote something everyone turns into a wild starving pack of dogs and you just suddenly happen to smell like bacon
Case and Point, anything about Dark Samus, and apprently Takamaru. People tend to equate their opinion with fact when you challenge something they like, like somehow your opinion makes theirs less valid

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
well, as PlateProp put it, everywhere I've seen them downvotes lead to intense ****flinging. a poll that works on ratings just seems like it will lead to a lot less >Opinions arguing. i'd rather see someone give a low rating a character they don't particularly want/like rather than putting across a dumb justification. people vote/ rate characters they want high, the ones they don't particularly want low and be done with it. leave the arguing to extra comments.

I mean, for a hypothetical way to do it.

we have 5 CE slots left. the last amount of characters counted on the poll was 44. Making the total number of candidates dividable by 5 would be ideal, so I (PERSONALLY) think we can easily trim this to 30.

so, we divide the 30 choices into 6 tiers of 5 characters. the 5 characters we are most keen on seeing in the game are in the highest tier, and of course each tier following that are our other choices in order of preference. each tier nets a character so many points, and they are added in a simple points tally.

to be completely barebones about it, it's basically Mario Kart scoring. the points would be something along the lines of -

S - 9 points
A - 6 points
B - 4 points
C - 3 points
D - 2 points
E - 1 point

This way a character that is voted 3 times S tier and one time E tier is still outranks a character that has been voted A tier 4 times.

this way, you have to give a value to EVERY character eligible, it's a much easier way to see a general consensus and would help "separate the wheat from the chaff" concerning the candidates. and at most, it would take maybe a spreadsheet to keep track of.

I know that this thread and everything that happens/is discussed in it is something the PMBR are very seldomly going to take any serious note of (example; Black Shadowdorf reaaaally doesn't look like it's going to happen, no matter how high it's rated) but they're still here to pop in, fill us in on intricacies and what not, and not to mention keep us in line - and like it's been stated before, it's at least a decent sized sample of the community and could just yet effect how some thing/s turn out. we are here to give a general idea on how it should hopefully go, after all.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
2) It's MY vote.
3) This is not Smash 4. It's not popular now and it's my vote and I don't know him.

I'm not sure how these are responses to his points, seeing as this all started with you saying "why do people want him?" If your reason for downvoting Takamaru is that there are no reasons why someone could vote for him, then his reasoning should be enough to convince you otherwise.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
There is clearly a hierarchy in most of the character votes we make, we prefer to have some characters than other we'd like, so there should be a hierarchy in the points too. I saw a lots of polls based on this principle and it worked well.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
well, as PlateProp put it, everywhere I've seen them downvotes lead to intense ****flinging. a poll that works on ratings just seems like it will lead to a lot less >Opinions arguing. i'd rather see someone give a low rating a character they don't particularly want/like rather than putting across a dumb justification. people vote/ rate characters they want high, the ones they don't particularly want low and be done with it. leave the arguing to extra comments.

I mean, for a hypothetical way to do it.

we have 5 CE slots left. the last amount of characters counted on the poll was 44. Making the total number of candidates dividable by 5 would be ideal, so I (PERSONALLY) think we can easily trim this to 30.

so, we divide the 30 choices into 6 tiers of 5 characters. the 5 characters we are most keen on seeing in the game are in the highest tier, and of course each tier following that are our other choices in order of preference. each tier nets a character so many points, and they are added in a simple points tally.

to be completely barebones about it, it's basically Mario Kart scoring. the points would be something along the lines of -

S - 9 points
A - 6 points
B - 4 points
C - 3 points
D - 2 points
E - 1 point

This way a character that is voted 3 times S tier and one time E tier is still outranks a character that has been voted A tier 4 times.

this way, you have to give a value to EVERY character eligible, it's a much easier way to see a general consensus and would help "separate the wheat from the chaff" concerning the candidates. and at most, it would take maybe a spreadsheet to keep track of.

I know that this thread and everything that happens/is discussed in it is something the PMBR are very seldomly going to take any serious note of (example; Black Shadowdorf reaaaally doesn't look like it's going to happen, no matter how high it's rated) but they're still here to pop in, fill us in on intricacies and what not, and not to mention keep us in line - and like it's been stated before, it's at least a decent sized sample of the community and could just yet effect how some thing/s turn out. we are here to give a general idea on how it should hopefully go, after all.
This is reasonable I like it

If we restart the poll we should leave Black Shadow out of it. It most likely won't happen. Deconfirmed characters like Hector, Tails, Shadow, and Bowser Jr should also be left out for more obvious reasons.

EDIT: However once we do restart the poll there will only be 4 slots left, since we plan to restart once the 3rd character is revealed.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
The problem with the current downvote system is that people downvote for stupid reasons.
I downvote [insert name here] because he looks like an anime character, despite the fact that I can't point why it is bad to look like an anime character. Heck, Link and Zelda look like anime characters. Everybody looks like anime characters if you choose the right anime.
I downvote [insert name here] because his series is overrepresented, despite the fact that his series still have lots of interesting characters that would be awesome to play as.
I downvote [insert name here] because his artstyle wouldn't fit the game, despite the fact that I can make Solid Snake fight Mr. Game & Watch.
I downvote [insert name here] because we don't need more swordsmen, despite the fact that most of the roster is comprised of gunners and barehanded fighters.
I downvote [insert name here] because he's from the same series as a character I want, despite the fact that I should just upvote the character I want.
I downvote [insert name here] beacuse he looks like a character that's already playable, despite the fact that he's not the same character.
I downvote [insert name here] because his series doesn't need representation, despite the fact that it is a Nintendo series with its fair share of fans.
I downvote [insert name here] because he wouldn't work, despite the fact that the PMDT knows what would work and what wouldn't.
I downvote [insert name here] because he's ugly / I don't want him / I don't like him / I don't like his name / I don't like his haircut.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
since recent downvotes have turned into unreasonably sized arguments, I'd like to remind everyone that just downright loathing a character is a good enough reason for a downvote.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If we keep downvotes next time, we'll hopefully limit the number of them. Since people will only be limited to a small number, we probably won't even need a reason to downvote. Plus, by not having to justify your own downvotes, people won't hound each other for reasonable and unreasonable purposes concerning said downvotes, causing discussion here to be a bit more tame.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
If we keep downvotes next time, we'll hopefully limit the number of them. Since people will only be limited to a small number, we probably won't even need a reason to downvote. Plus, by not having to justify your own downvotes, people won't hound each other for reasonable and unreasonable purposes concerning said downvotes, causing discussion here to be a bit more tame.
I've been saying we should do that since like page five.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
To be quick since I just woke up and I'm super groggy, I believe we discussed the next voting system would be 4/8/2 upvotes, halfvotes, and downvotes. This was just a quick concept we came up with. TBH I wish we could have the voting thread separated from the discussion thread but that'll never happen.

Shin F.

Smash Master
To be quick since I just woke up and I'm super groggy, I believe we discussed the next voting system would be 4/8/2 upvotes, halfvotes, and downvotes. This was just a quick concept we came up with. TBH I wish we could have the voting thread separated from the discussion thread but that'll never happen.
We did, indeed.

Since the number of downvotes would be limited to a small number, we would no longer require reasons for them, since we're pretty sure you're probably gonna use those limited votes for characters you're truly against.

The only reason downvotes required an explanation in the first place was because they were unlimited, and people used them on characters they weren't truly against solely to boost their own favorites. They were playing the system. If they become limited, this is no longer an issue and reasoning is no longer required.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I should also point out for people who are going to say that reasoning for downvotes fixes that problem to, it's not difficult to make up a reason or even just steal someone else's reason.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I still think it should be 4/3/1 with the 4 and 3 changing according to open slots and slots already used respectively.
The 1 downvote could also be changed to 2 downvotes.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
We could very well do 4/4/2 and it wouldn't change too much, just limit half votes even further. 3 half votes just feels weird and a little too restricting to me for some reason, but I might not be the best person to decide on this matter since I have a metric ton of half votes...

Shin F.

Smash Master
We could very well do 4/4/2 and it wouldn't change too much, just limit half votes even further. 3 half votes just feels weird and a little too restricting to me for some reason, but I might not be the best person to decide on this matter since I have a metric ton of half votes...
4/4/2 definitely feels too restrictive to me. Half votes are only worth half the value of full votes, so it makes sense to me to double them. 4/8/2 is the best balance IMO.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well it doesn't make sense to vote for more slots than there are/were.
Half-votes are sort of like backup votes. "If the first four guys I want aren't going to get in, I'd still like it if any of these guys did".

At the same time, because they're not your top choices, they don't have as much value as full votes. Since they have less value, you can get more of them.

Makes perfect sense to me.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I think having less downvotes than upvotes is a really bad idea and will obscure the votes, even if less so than having infinite downvotes.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Half-votes are sort of like backup votes. "If the first four guys I want aren't going to get in, I'd still like it if any of these guys did".

At the same time, because they're not your top choices, they don't have as much value as full votes. Since they have less value, you can get more of them.

Makes perfect sense to me.
I understand what you're saying.
I just think my way is more efficient.
4 Full votes- Who I want to occupy the remaining slots
3 Half votes- If those other spots were still open then this is who I'd want in them.
1 Down vote- Guarantees that downvotes won't be misused. Maybe 2 just to ensure one character doesn't get **** on.

Hell, I think it'd be best if we just had 4 upvotes and nothing else. But if we intend to keep the full/half/down system this is what I'd go with.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
All I want is for Ridley, Isaac, and King K. Rool to be added for sure. Waluigi's pretty low on the rankings, so its pretty ambiguous as to if he's gonna be added or not.
And lastly, I'm not sure exactly which CE character I want and like the best.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I just don't want any more "Yeah he's kinda cool" half-votes.
I want a legitimate measure of how much people want certain characters in PM.

And I still think it's a good idea to narrow it down to 30 or so characters. Maybe knock it down to 28 because it's divisible by 4. We could have 7 tiers of popularity.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I just don't want any more "Yeah he's kinda cool" half-votes.
I want a legitimate measure of how much people want certain characters in PM.
You likely won't get those any more. People will only have a total of 12 positive votes with the 4/8/2 or 4/8/4 system. That's not even half the characters we have, even if we cut the numbers down to the levels you're suggesting.

Which I don't think should happen, by the way. Every character in the results has at least some degree of support. We shouldn't be picking and choosing which characters can no longer be voted on. At the same time, I agree that we can't keep letting people suggest new characters. It would be best to simply restrict characters to the ones already in the votes.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I understand what you're saying.
I just think my way is more efficient.
4 Full votes- Who I want to occupy the remaining slots
3 Half votes- If those other spots were still open then this is who I'd want in them.
1 Down vote- Guarantees that downvotes won't be misused. Maybe 2 just to ensure one character doesn't get **** on.

Hell, I think it'd be best if we just had 4 upvotes and nothing else. But if we intend to keep the full/half/down system this is what I'd go with.
I see where you are going with this, there were 7 CE slots so why not 7 total "possitive" votes for people to use. I just don't see the point in the half votes though in that situation, and they'd barely make any sort of impact. Even less so then they already do now.

Half votes are really the only way for people to show what characters they'd also be interested in seeing added to the game that aren't amongst their top 4. For someone like me, who's literally played almost all the games from which these CE characters originate, I have a long list of characters I'd like to legitimately see implemented into a smash game but some more than others. Currently my list is rather long, and bringing it down probably wouldn't be too difficult, but with how little impact they make in the long run I don't see why we can't have 4-8 half votes. People don't even have to use all of their votes to begin with, and limiting them will make people like me think more carefully over who they half vote so they can't just vote for whoever they think is "kinda cool". At least that is the way I see it.

I will admit that the current system we have doesn't have to be the one we use again after the reset. The Mario Kart system wouldn't be too bad, but I just fear that less people will be inclined to vote if they had to list all the CE characters from top to bottom like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom