• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You guys, Dark Samus would be cool as cake in Smash Bros, and it's too bad Smash 4 only went half way with an AT and an alt skin.

In Project M, Dark Samus could be fully realized and fleshed out. She might share many animations and some moves like Missiles and Charge Shot, but her other two specials would likely be different. Anyone who has played the Prime games knows she moves much differently from Samus. Additionally, she should float around the stage like Mewtwo does. After all is said and done, she would probably be at most a Luigi clone, or maybe even less, and that's much better than many of these clone candidates.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
+.5 Dark Samus
Metroid as a series has been mishandled pretty badly by Sakurai (wth does KI:U have more characters), so it's about time Metroid gets some love. If the PMDT doesn't want to add Ridley, Dark Samus would be just as good a choice. Yes, she would be a clone, but the PMDT have lives and the majority of the added characters will probably be clones anyway. And Dark Samus would be one of the most interesting clones, taking the slow, methodical camping of Samus and inverting it into a more fast, aggressive, rapid-fire type of gameplay. She has plenty of ways to differentiate herself from Samus: hovering, Phazon energy, ice pillars, shock waves, etc. If anyone is annoyed by the fact that there would be three Samuses, she could be called Metroid Prime instead, as that is basically what she is.

4tlas

Smash Lord
+1 Black Shadow/Ganon - Ganondorf has a lot of potential for his own moveset, but I think his current moveset is still cool and should be retained. I am one of the people who would rather Ganondorf have a thematic moveset than keep the current one for Smash tradition, and I think most people would agree. Also, F-Zero needs another character, why not Black Shadow?

+1 Issac - Golden Sun was a great RPG, and Issac would have a lot of potential to be made however the PMBR sees fit. I don't entirely understand how the projectile limitations are, but I'm sure there could be a good way to represent his magic attacks even if projectiles are inflexible. Also there's a model for him in-game already, if that helps.

+1 Ray - I loved Custom Robo, and Ray (if possible) would make for a great projectile-heavy character. It would be appropriate (and unique) if he only had one jump but could use Rob's side-B, making it difficult for him to run and spam all day but allowing him to still maneuver laterally. With such a varied arsenal to draw inspiration from, I hope he could be our Megaman.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Seriously, just cause Damus and Samus look alike doesn't automatically mean they are clones. She has EVERYTHING going for her. She's unique but not too unique so that it would be hard to do. I mean if you really want something unique, she'll go beyond Wolf and Luigi so her moveset can be changed based on preference. She's representing a BIG underrepresented series and is arguably more important than Ridley but I don't wanna go into that cuz I love Ridley. There's no chance of DLC with her since she is an Assist Trophy. She is technically female( even though it doesn't matter in Project M ), so you feminists out there will be happy. Not asking to up vote her but now that you have been educated in the ways of the Damus, consider retracting that down vote. Come on we have argued this to the ground! The only way you can really justify your down vote is that you choose a really nitpicky reason even though it was totally different from your original statement to make me look bad *cough*Saikyoshi*cough*.
( lol ). I'm not gonna follow up since everything has been covered about her. It's fine if you don't want her but just don't be stuck up about it( *cough*you probably think imma put Saikyoshi here well I just did lol*cough* )

MLGF

Smash Lord
PM alt costume delay, may be doing some character reveal... doubt it though.

Maybe big house?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I support Balloon Fighter, if I recall the rules, that means I can give him +.5.

As for sound effects, simply loudening the balloon sound on Smashville may suffice.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I figured I might as well vote for once.

+1 Ridley
+1 Sukapon
+1 Balloon Fighter
+1 Tom Nook
+1 Baby Bowser (clearly not Bowser Jr.)

.5 Waluigi
.5 K Rool
.5 Baby Peach
.5 Baby Mario

-1 Ninten : Waste of a slot. He's too similar to Ness who was basically meant to be an updated version on Ninten. And considering Mother already has 2 representatives from it's series of 3 games, adding another Mother character would be silly. At most, he could be an alt costume for Ness, but even then a costume like that would be pretty redundant.
-1 Ray : Custom Robo was a horrible game and I don't want to be reminded of it. The amount of work it would take to create an accurate representation of this character far exceeds the character's worth for this roster.
-1 Lyn : Waste of a slot. There shouldn't be 2 clone engine characters from the same series. I don't care if she is your waifu.
-1 Dixie Kong : I think her moveset potential is uninteresting and would rather have a more interesting character/playstyle than what she would bring.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hah, so Art Tuesday shows Ganon animations confirm that Ganon is still being a bare fist kinda guy.

Good.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Takamaru- Why do people want him? Again, this is not Smash 4 and people only brought him cause of his chances. I don't see him being as unique as Issac or Lyn and the reception would probably be who is Takamaru and why didn't >insert character name < get in instead?:080:
I know if this thread had highlighted more characters around the time I started paying attention to it and voted earlier in the year, I'd have thrown Takamaru a ball even before my Smash 4 hype for the character. It was in the interest of securing a pressure based fast drawing swordsman/woman (or even my own idea of a stance based Eastern swords person) versus the current fencing and "knighted/sword & shield" sword character styles that both Takamaru and Lyn got top billing from me. Over time though and especially after playing the Virtual Console release of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, I began to think that not only was Takamaru a better option (IMO, I see you @DEM GREEN EYES, don't hurt me!) for not only being a new franchise representative (versus saturating the roster with more Fire Emblem characters, as awesome as they are/could be) but for also being relatively easy to do and also spearheading a design for a more offense oriented "jack of all trades" type versus Link who skews to the defensive side by nature.

The reception thing is the only real slight but I'd hope that it wouldn't matter to the extent that it'd oust potentials out just because they aren't sitting at the cool kids table for multiple years.

Also, I hope you don't take this as an attack or me preaching over you, but I'd really love it if you would read this post (or you could skip to the good stuff and read my moveset here) and let me hear your opinion on Takamaru afterwards. Don't feel obligated to agree but I'd love to hear what you have to say afterwards.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Something I'm wondering, would it be possible to make a Zelda and Sheik that transform quickly by creating versions that store both sets of moves and art in one file, and just controls which to use with a boolean? Would a clone slot be necessary for this? Or is the modding limited enough that this wouldn't work anyway?

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I know if this thread had highlighted more characters around the time I started paying attention to it and voted earlier in the year, I'd have thrown Takamaru a ball even before my Smash 4 hype for the character. It was in the interest of securing a pressure based fast drawing swordsman/woman (or even my own idea of a stance based Eastern swords person) versus the current fencing and "knighted/sword & shield" sword character styles that both Takamaru and Lyn got top billing from me. Over time though and especially after playing the Virtual Console release of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, I began to think that not only was Takamaru a better option (IMO, I see you @DEM GREEN EYES, don't hurt me!) for not only being a new franchise representative (versus saturating the roster with more Fire Emblem characters, as awesome as they are/could be) but for also being relatively easy to do and also spearheading a design for a more offense oriented "jack of all trades" type versus Link who skews to the defensive side by nature.

The reception thing is the only real slight but I'd hope that it wouldn't matter to the extent that it'd oust potentials out just because they aren't sitting at the cool kids table for multiple years.

Also, I hope you don't take this as an attack or me preaching over you, but I'd really love it if you would read this post (or you could skip to the good stuff and read my moveset here) and let me hear your opinion on Takamaru afterwards. Don't feel obligated to agree but I'd love to hear what you have to say afterwards.
Dude I don't even care. I'm hype at the possibility of Lyn, she has more much more people who support her in smash than there are against her, she's a popular choice within the PMBR from what i've heard and as much as i'm not a huge fan of him, M2k Likes the idea. Besides, it's not like you downvoted her.

Hell, even Jontron wanted her to be in smash 4.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Dude I don't even care. I'm hype at the possibility of Lyn, she has more much more people who support her in smash than there are against her, she's a popular choice within the PMBR from what i've heard and as much as i'm not a huge fan of him, M2k Likes the idea. Besides, it's not like you downvoted her.

Hell, even Jontron wanted her to be in smash 4.
JonTron should be best Brawl Falco lol
Don't you just hate it when your fav youtubers are casuals?

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
+.5 Dark Samus
Metroid as a series has been mishandled pretty badly by Sakurai (wth does KI:U have more characters), so it's about time Metroid gets some love. If the PMDT doesn't want to add Ridley, Dark Samus would be just as good a choice. Yes, she would be a clone, but the PMDT have lives and the majority of the added characters will probably be clones anyway. And Dark Samus would be one of the most interesting clones, taking the slow, methodical camping of Samus and inverting it into a more fast, aggressive, rapid-fire type of gameplay. She has plenty of ways to differentiate herself from Samus: hovering, Phazon energy, ice pillars, shock waves, etc. If anyone is annoyed by the fact that there would be three Samuses, she could be called Metroid Prime instead, as that is basically what she is.
Dude seriously, she is not even close to a semi clone. She could be but depends on how the PMBR wants to do. You yourself are mentioning all the unique stuff Damus can do. Dark Samus is Dark Samus and I'd highly doubt anyone is bothered THAT much.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Well if you had just explained, you wouldn't have to ask. I don't know crap about ***** Takanuva so there's a chance you could convince me. Did anyone get that Bionicle reference?:yeahboi:
Well, there's a number of reasons:
1) He's a samurai. We have western-style swordsmen in Project M, but we have nobody with a katana.
2) He's a cool retro character. Fans of old-school, hard as a hell 8-bit games tend to like him.
3) His game have a GREAT soundtrack by Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox). Really, you should listen to it.
4) He have a great moveset potential. He can become invisible, walk on water, throw multiple multi-directional kunais, fireballs and windmill swords, summon lightning, ride bears and, last but not least, attack with quick-drawing sword techniques. His moves could easily be cloned from other characters, and yet he would still unique.
5) His game got a worldwide release, so he's not Japan-only.
6) He's been waiting many years to appear in Super Smash Bros. Link, Samus, Pit and him were created on the same year. And really, with all those cameos in recent games, not having him playable feels wrong. There's a minigame based on him in Nintendo Land! That puts him in the group as F-Zero, Pikmin and Animal Crossing. And, if you look at the tracklist of Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS, you will see that two series got music tracks despite not having a stage: Tetris and The Mysterious Murasame Castle. That's how much Nintendo cares for this series.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I figured I might as well vote for once.
-1 Ray : Custom Robo was a horrible game and I don't want to be reminded of it. The amount of work it would take to create an accurate representation of this character far exceeds the character's worth for this roster.
I don't know if personal opinion on a game should come into it, and I imagine you have no idea how much work it would be to make an accurate representation of any character you voted for or against. I don't think you can accurately judge whether Ray would be more difficult than other characters to implement.

D

Deleted member

I just want to point out that according to the suggested Value and Effort grades, the best choices would be Dark Samus, Dixie, and perhaps Samurai Goroh. Just saying.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I just want to point out that according to the suggested Value and Effort grades, the best choices would be Dark Samus, Dixie, and perhaps Samurai Goroh. Just saying.
I seem to remember one of the PMDT actually coming by to mention that a true to form Dixie would be one of the hardest characters to implement just because of the animation and instance coding that'd go into her ponytail mechanics.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Well, there's a number of reasons:
1) He's a samurai. We have western-style swordsmen in Project M, but we have nobody with a katana.
2) He's a cool retro character. Fans of old-school, hard as a hell 8-bit games tend to like him.
3) His game have a GREAT soundtrack by Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox). Really, you should listen to it.
4) He have a great moveset potential. He can become invisible, walk on water, throw multiple multi-directional kunais, fireballs and windmill swords, summon lightning, ride bears and, last but not least, attack with quick-drawing sword techniques. His moves could easily be cloned from other characters, and yet he would still unique.
5) His game got a worldwide release, so he's not Japan-only.
6) He's been waiting many years to appear in Super Smash Bros. Link, Samus, Pit and him were created on the same year. And really, with all those cameos in recent games, not having him playable feels wrong. There's a minigame based on him in Nintendo Land! That puts him in the group as F-Zero, Pikmin and Animal Crossing. And, if you look at the tracklist of Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS, you will see that two series got music tracks despite not having a stage: Tetris and The Mysterious Murasame Castle. That's how much Nintendo cares for this series.
Imma be a douche and argue against your points :troll: i use this smiley too much:troll:
1)I already mentioned SEVERAL times that axes ,lances, spears, etc are basically the same as a sword.
2) I don't know him and it's an opinion more than anything.
3) What does music have to do with this?
4) Some of what you said would not translate well to smash.
5) This is not Smash 4.
6) Again this is not Smash 4. Oh yeah, a minigame and a song that's so caring of Nintendo#obvioussarcasmisobvious

Still not convinced sorry

h y o

Smash Rookie
Imma be a douche and argue against your points :troll: i use this smiley too much:troll:
1)I already mentioned SEVERAL times that axes ,lances, spears, etc are basically the same as a sword.
5) This is not Smash 4.
6) Again this is not Smash 4. Oh yeah, a minigame and a song that's so caring of Nintendo#obvioussarcasmisobvious

hi i just wanted to point out that people have varying opinions~ ; v ;
1. just because you think all of those are the same as a sword, doesn't mean that they really are. c'mon, each weapon has different speeds, range, and attack power. sure they're similar, but it does create variety in a sense.
2. it's true that he's a very unknown character to many these days. but just because you don't know him, doesn't mean others don't! (plus, smash tends to bring back old school characters such as pit and ice climbers!)
3. (music really doesn't have anything to do with him being in p:m, you're right) but i'm assuming marakatu was just trying to say that back in the day, the game was fairly popular.
4. some of it really wouldn't translate well into smash, you're right again. buut, the other "some" would be pretty interesting to see~
5. again, im assuming that he was just trying to say that the game was fairly popular world-wide, so it would be nice to see it get some representation in a more popular game.
6. (same as 5)

sorry if this came off as a bit rude, i'm not trying to start anything. i just wanted to let you know that people will always have different opinions on things. and just because their opinion might be different from yours, doesn't mean you should be a "douche" as you call yourself. again, sorry if i came off as rude. have a good day sir ; v ;

Marakatu

Smash Ace
5) This is not Smash 4.

1) I agree. And that's why it would be so easy to clone his moves.
2) and 3) I'm just saying that he's liked by multiple fanbases. Fans of retro games like him. Fans of good videogame music like him. If there's a reason to include more characters in Project M, that reason is "fandom". I'm sure they think "how would people react to this character?" when choosing a character for the clone engine.
4) We are not programmers. They would make it work. They made Mewtwo work. They made Project M work.
5) Err, I know? What do this have to do with what I said?
6) Fans of Golden Sun and Advance Wars would kill for a reference in Nintendo Land or Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS. Or anywhere, really.

Anyway, you said you didn't know why people wanted him, and know you know.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
i KNOW ME TOO :cry::cry::cry::cry:
I'm actually excited about the animation changes always liked the moveset but hated how his moves look the same as Falcon's. I'm hoping all his animations receive change that would reflect Ganon's personality more.

And since Samus has her Ice Beam stance that changes 5 of her moves I'll always hold out hope that maybe Ganon can receive that treatment and have a Sword Stance using down taunt. (But I'll always have the Triforce mod if he doesn't).

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I'm actually excited about the animation changes always liked the moveset but hated how his moves look the same as Falcon's. I'm hoping all his animations receive change that would reflect Ganon's personality more.

And since Samus has her Ice Beam stance that changes 5 of her moves I'll always hold out hope that maybe Ganon can receive that treatment and have a Sword Stance using down taunt. (But I'll always have the Triforce mod if he doesn't).
That new animation of Ganondorf's looks absolutely sick tho. A lot of people were comparing it to a Street Fighter 4 focus attack, it would be awesome if it had something like heavy armor during the charging animation. I'm guessing it's going to be his new FSmash.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
And I type a long post to get completely ignored again...

*Floats away in the breeze with a sigh*

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
And I type a long post to get completely ignored again...

*Floats away in the breeze with a sigh*
You're definitely not getting ignored bksbestbwoy, you can't be with a post that large (insert Ridley meme here). I'm not sure if I've half voted him or not yet... and since I'm not at my cpu I can't check. If I haven't I'm going to since I love his design and possible playstyles. Anyone with a Katana is okay in my book lol.

Also, I still have a new +1 vote to use since my vote for Jr. is null and void. I'm going to go ahead and finally use it.

+1 vote for Dark Samus (changing from a 1/2 vote)
+1/2 vote for Takamaru

Last edited:

Golf Actual

Smash Rookie
If anyone is annoyed by the fact that there would be three Samuses, she could be called Metroid Prime instead, as that is basically what she is.
I really like the idea of her/it being called Metroid Prime. Much better than "Dark Samus."

Cpt.

Smash Lord
If anyone is annoyed by the fact that there would be three Samuses, she could be called Metroid Prime instead, as that is basically what she is.
That's semi-true, but it would be cool to see the actual metroid's themselves repped in some way so I'm cool with it.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking a lot about this, and I'd like to retract my downvote for Ridley. I'm not really opposed to him like I once was.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
If we get a character with a katana it should be The Bride

Her final smash would be that siren noise that plays when ever it zooms in on her face and then everyone is suddenly dead

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
If we get a character with a katana it should be The Bride

Her final smash would be that siren noise that plays when ever it zooms in on her face and then everyone is suddenly dead
And since we can incorporate abilities from other characters in the same franchise, her side special would be a handgun that she fires through a box of cereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom