• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I alway hesitant about third party character because of the copyright issue... And I think PMBR should focus on the veterants before.. (including Pichu >__>)

Pichu is the character I want the most and I firmly believe that he should be the 3rd clone engine character. But yeah, copyright issues is a good point on the 3rd party guys. Sega has been known to throw down the ban hammer pretty hard on fan projects, so I'm going to revoke my approval of any Sonic characters (unless they were the 7th character and the game was 100% done :p )

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Toad (as a clone, it would be easier for the Project M Backroom)

I actually like this idea. Toad is very popular and would work as a Wolf-type clone for Mario/Luigi because of New Mario Bros. I think his down B should be a clone of Peaches, whereby he pulls turnips out of the ground, with the only difference being he can throw them farther. I think that's more suitable than the spore attack. Then give him the added ability to hold down and charge a jump like SMB2. So it would only be useful if you are still on the stage.

Neutral B would work as you suggest. Side B could maybe be an grab, scoop them up and toss them like DK (would also make sense considering SMB2). Up B would work like you suggest too. Something like a headbutt version of Mario/Luigi's up B, but I would have it do a single hit with no sweetspot. Essentially just take a fully charged Luigi missle (not a misfire) and make it go up. Probably a bit weaker than that though.

And I don't see why it couldn't be red by default. We will have a plethora of colors for him anyway, and red is necessary for teams.

Also he should say "I'm the best!" as much as possible.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Shadow was significant to Sega's movement to 3rd party and largely supported as the 2nd best character beside Sonic. Any child growing up a Sonic fan would be utterly shocked about Sonic being anywhere near a Nintendo console around that time. So saying Shadow is of little importance is almost insulting to Sonic's history with Nintendo. Not to mention Shadow's impact on Brawl hacks entirely, as I have said many times before. I would play P:M 1,000,000 times over if they could help me relive the nostalgia of my two favorite Gamecube games by marking Shadow's inclusion. This is honestly how I feel.

It's amazing how SA2 touched and inspired so many people, no wonder why a lot of fans say there's never been another good Sonic game since that one. (Personally, it's not my favorite, but I aknowledge it as a superb video game experience).

I really don't get the hate for Shadow. He's not my favorite character, but he's far from my hate list. In fact I think SEGA could spice up his character quite bit. Sadly nowdays, Shadow is almost as important as anyone not named Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. Which is a real shame.. A lot of people hate Sonic's friends for all the wrong reasons.

For P:M, I think he's a pretty solid clone. Perhaps he could be a tad heavier (since he's sorta andoid-ish.. or something) and with a lot less traction due to the rocket shoes.
I loved giving Dark Fox a Shadow reskin because IMO it's where he fit the best (Fox Illusion = chaos teleport, the blaster, and the whole fighting style which kinda reminds me of Sonic Battle)

But yeah, you do well in defending him. Especially since people aren't aware of the less vocal, but sane portion of the Sonic fanbase.
It's one heck of an uphill battle, but I can endure it. :)

(For the record, I am kind of getting tired of the "Original the Character" jokes going on, let alone the misplaced furry insults... They're getting anoying so I'm going to have to start asking people to stop that, thanks).

Anyway, wonder how the final grading system will play out like... say there's 50 final votes for a Sonic character, and 50 negative ones as well.

---

I forgot to comment on that Toad moveset.

For a Mario clone... it sounds pretty AWESOME. I especially like the Green Missile variant as a vertical recovery move because it's like copy+pasted from SMB2... and I LOVE it!

I am now convinced Toad would be an EXCELLENT addition to the Clone Engine.
It's actually the first suggestion I've seen that convinced me so quickly... I think I'm going to give him a 1/2 vote.

Ice Balls for neutral B
Blue Missile for Up B
Spores for either Tilt B or Down B sounds about right.

I could suggest that the remaining special be used for... a Mario Party star, or a Mario Kart KART ride (like Wario's bike except the Kart would get destroyed instead of Toad getting off of it)
He could also throw a Hammer Bros. hammer. Or a Boomerang Bros. boomerang.

As for his default color, definitely blue I say. He's the most playable one in most mainstream Mario games, and the color variants would be: Classic Red (red), Yellow, Green, Purple, Black and White (game boy-ish)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
You people are forgetting that there are restrictions to the clone engine. There's no character who spawns items, shoots projectiles, and has a command grab so that moveset wouldn't work.

Rick Rockmann

Smash Cadet
You people are forgetting that there are restrictions to the clone engine. There's no character who spawns items, shoots projectiles, and has a command grab so that moveset wouldn't work.
...doesn't Diddy Kong do exactly that?
He spawns bananas, shoots peanuts, and his side-B is a command grab.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Their are alot of characters that Toad could feasibly pull moves from. Mario, Luigi, Peach, as others have mentioned. But Toad is very similar in body shape to Ness and Lucas, so transplanting animations from those two would also be fairly easy to accomplish. Like a Uair or Ness' dash-attack to mention a few.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I just woke up, looks like there's support for Toad even though he's a negative pick (barely)! I agree that Bowser Jr. will probably be in SSB4 so putting him in would be too risky, leaving an opportunity for Toad open. Not discrediting any talk about him of course, as a smaller faster bowser clone DOES sound neat!

Having read your comments on him, I like the movesets you all came up with, though I want to chime in with a possible moveset of my own:

Again, his default color should be blue so as to differentiate him from Peach's Toad

Basically he could be the Wolf to Mario's Fox and Luigi's Falco. I know it's not totally accurate (Luigi and Mario have wildly different physics, different side-B's, etc.) but since Mario, Luigi and Toad were all in the New Super Mario Bros. games it can be appropriate. Basically, he'd have a different down-B (can't see him using a tornado attack like M&L) but keep Luigi's side-B. That way, all 3 could have a unique special move. Overall, save for a few of his moves, he'd have the least range but would be the fastest.

...Also, since PMBR wants to make Brawl into Melee with Project M it wouldn't be out of the question to include a second Mario clone like in Melee, as we lost Dr. Mario as a character, now a costume.

Specials:

-I say the down-B could be mushroom spores coming out in front of him as a reference to how Peach uses him. It can be like Squirtle's Bubble attack, only it would be stronger, have a little more startup lag, and cover more range.

-His own version of the fireball would be the ice ball from the newer games, and it could work like Mario's fireball trajectory wise. It could be slower than the fireball but Toad could act out of it quicker even than Mario can, so using them could be more for positioning and startups...like Wolf's new Blaster, now that I think about it.

-Toad's up-B would work like Luigi's up-B in that it only hits once, though it wouldn't be as powerful. It would go a little slower than either bro's jump punches so he wouldn't "pop" like they do. Trajectory wise it could be more diagonally oriented than Mario's. Also it wouldn't be a punch, but the powered up crouch jump from Super Mario Bros. 2. (Second to last row in the picture)

-Toad's version of Luigi's side-B could actually work like Luigi's up-B in that it can't be charged, goes straight forward, does okay damage when it hits. In a reversal of Luigi's up-B, however, it could be stronger the farther into the move you hit the opponent. Kind of like Wario's Shoulder Bash move, though obviously you don't run or jump with it.

ok i wanna say a bit more than just his specials but quoting your whole post would be a bit much. his moveset is good but i just wanna suggest some things i think would fit better in my opion ^_^

Up-B i sorta have a problem with this, because it seems a little too basic to me, he doesn't have the ability to wall jump out of it and he doesn't have a kill sweetspot, plus i think this would fit better
but what about the propeller hat from the new smash brothers? he does a multihitting ascending move and he can float freely afterward, and act out of it with any aerial.

side B- i think this one should be the spores you mentioned but i don't think it should trip like bubble. but letting him hold it down, like maybe a spread shot flame thrower? i think that would be really cool!

down-B i think letting toad have turnips would do him alot of good, but why should he just copy peach entirely? in SMB2 toad has the fastes pull strength, so i kinda feel like the turnips belong with him as much as the do peach. but to mix this up, he'd pull small turnips 1/10 pulls, the small turnips are very fast, like snakes grenades and deal decent damage and cover some good distance. the unique pull would be the giant turnip, which behaves like a crate or barel, which toad could throw and get kills off of. not to make it totally useless though, the big turnip should bounce along the ground a bit allowing him to AGT it and even follow behind defensively. (wait can you AGT heavy items?)

also, luigi to falco and mario to fox, their down airs are spike, and multihit combo starters respectively, why not give toad a spin that bounces the enemy off the ground like wolf's?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

I wonder if ZSS would also count - does the armor she sheds when she comes out of a Smash Ball count as part of her character? If so, that actually gives them a lot to work with.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

Dang, yo. You're right. I don't exactly know how flexible the engine is with changing all of that stuff, but I could see that working.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I know hes 3rd party, his games suck, hes a dark clone, ect. But shadow is one of my favorite video game characters to date, ever since I saw him as a little kid he has been the embodiement of everything cool. He is like pure badassery. It would mean a lot to me if he was in sb, I know this is an irrelevent post bug I just had to say it

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think his Side+B should be spores (if possible) and that it should inflict "Flower" status on the opponent.

... Just saying, if Toad's going to be super light, might as well provide some status changes that might hurt the opponent a bit more.

Cloning Peach's turnip is not a bad idea per-se... But I'd give him one kind of turnip only, or perhaps just the faceless ones (like the raddish, or the cactus-plant like ones) so it feels a bit different.
I still feel as if this one is too much of a "sacred" move to be copied... but hey, Peach was using TOAD to protect herself... Toad could afford to steal her special (or use Baby Peach to protect himself).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am still waiting until next month to see if Toad shows up for Smash 4.

I still think its suspicious that we have seen all of the Mario veterans confirmed so early on for Smash 4.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I think his Side+B should be spores (if possible) and that it should inflict "Flower" status on the opponent.

... Just saying, if Toad's going to be super light, might as well provide some status changes that might hurt the opponent a bit more.

Cloning Peach's turnip is not a bad idea per-se... But I'd give him one kind of turnip only, or perhaps just the faceless ones (like the raddish, or the cactus-plant like ones) so it feels a bit different.
I still feel as if this one is too much of a "sacred" move to be copied... but hey, Peach was using TOAD to protect herself... Toad could afford to steal her special (or use Baby Peach to protect himself).

well i kinda feel it'd be a little boring that way... i mean his big turnip would have killing power but it's not like it's stitch face. and the little turnips wouldn't ever be transcendent like peach's dot-eyed turnips.

although having him give the flower effect is a great idea!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Here's a thought...

And it's a completely ridiculous thought, but I got to get it out of my system...

Flower throwing. Toad throws a random flower, with a random effect.
Fire: Low damage, low knockback, burn effect.
Ice: Low damage, medium knockback, 1/4 freeze effect
Metal: Turns opponent Metal. (Imagine turning a recovering opponent Metal) XD

Ok, ok, I know it's not exactly a cool idea, but I just love the idea of inflicting Metal status on the opponent when he's coming back to the stage. :)

well i kinda feel it'd be a little boring that way... i mean his big turnip would have killing power but it's not like it's stitch face. and the little turnips wouldn't ever be transcendent like peach's dot-eyed turnips.

although having him give the flower effect is a great idea!

Well to be fair, the giant turnip was my favorite part about it, lol. So yeah.
I guess those could work too.

I was wondering if a recovery move based on the Subcon red door potion would be viable (at least as far as animation goes). It could work like Metaknight's Down+B.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Here's a thought...

And it's a completely ridiculous thought, but I got to get it out of my system...

Flower throwing. Toad throws a random flower, with a random effect.
Fire: Low damage, low knockback, burn effect.
Ice: Low damage, medium knockback, 1/4 freeze effect
Metal: Turns opponent Metal. (Imagine turning a recovering opponent Metal) XD

Ok, ok, I know it's not exactly a cool idea, but I just love the idea of inflicting Metal status on the opponent when he's coming back to the stage. :)

Well to be fair, the giant turnip was my favorite part about it, lol. So yeah.
I guess those could work too.

I was wondering if a recovery move based on the Subcon red door potion would be viable (at least as far as animation goes). It could work like Metaknight's Down+B.

as broken as that would be, i'd have to agree. stuffing their recovery like that would be side-splitting hilarity. and thank you very much ^_^ my turnip appreciates it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Just got back on, happy to see my Toad post went over great with everyone! Shinhed-echi's flower effect for the spores sounds cool, actually. They could take Ivysaur's on-hit flower effect properties for this.

I am curious as to who mentioned turnips, as I left them out of my post. I could kind of see it for Toad but I feel that if it happened he'd have too many projectiles. I wanted to make Toad the Wolf of the Mario clan, and I think giving him an extra projectile would outclass Mario and Luigi in versatility and make it him too focused on zoning, when I thought Toad should work best as the faster, more close-range Mario.

...Not discrediting the idea though! I liked your other ideas for his down-B as well, like the troll-ish flower attack (the metal flower thing would cause millions of recorded replays every time it happened).

I'm also a bit confused as to whether people understood my up and side specials. Up special would use the flip jump animation from Super Mario Bros. 2, specifically the Super Mario Advance version, and it would work like a sourspotted Luigi up-B, only slightly more powerful in knockback and damage (though, now that people mention it, i think it could be neat if you could charge it for more power like in SMB2). Side-special is like an uncharged Green Missile with the distance of a fully charged one. You wouldn't be able to charge it by holding the B button like with Luigi, but to compensate it gains more power the farther into the attack you connect with it, kind of like Wario's Shoulder Bash attack.

Hopefully this cleared some things up. I'm loving these cool ideas :)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Also my last post was #777. Lucky!

...Speaking of which, if Toad had to get a Final Smash (assuming we can dream about one), a popular idea for one could be Chance Time from Mario Party. Just think of how gamebreakingly bad or good it could be, especially in teams! XD

though other ideas could be cool and not totally trollish. For raw power he could summon a POW block or a giant vegetable (doesn't have to be a turnip, as those are Peach's thing). Or it could be a copy of Diddy's FS replacing peanuts with ice balls and the jetpack with the propellor suit.

I'd love to see what other ideas you guys have!

Fortress

Smash Master
I just woke up, looks like there's support for Toad even though he's a negative pick (barely)! I agree that Bowser Jr. will probably be in SSB4 so putting him in would be too risky, leaving an opportunity for Toad open. Not discrediting any talk about him of course, as a smaller faster bowser clone DOES sound neat!

Having read your comments on him, I like the movesets you all came up with, though I want to chime in with a possible moveset of my own:

Again, his default color should be blue so as to differentiate him from Peach's Toad

Basically he could be the Wolf to Mario's Fox and Luigi's Falco. I know it's not totally accurate (Luigi and Mario have wildly different physics, different side-B's, etc.) but since Mario, Luigi and Toad were all in the New Super Mario Bros. games it can be appropriate. Basically, he'd have a different down-B (can't see him using a tornado attack like M&L) but keep Luigi's side-B. That way, all 3 could have a unique special move. Overall, save for a few of his moves, he'd have the least range but would be the fastest.

...Also, since PMBR wants to make Brawl into Melee with Project M it wouldn't be out of the question to include a second Mario clone like in Melee, as we lost Dr. Mario as a character, now a costume.

Specials:

-I say the down-B could be mushroom spores coming out in front of him as a reference to how Peach uses him. It can be like Squirtle's Bubble attack, only it would be stronger, have a little more startup lag, and cover more range.

-His own version of the fireball would be the ice ball from the newer games, and it could work like Mario's fireball trajectory wise. It could be slower than the fireball but Toad could act out of it quicker even than Mario can, so using them could be more for positioning and startups...like Wolf's new Blaster, now that I think about it.

-Toad's up-B would work like Luigi's up-B in that it only hits once, though it wouldn't be as powerful. It would go a little slower than either bro's jump punches so he wouldn't "pop" like they do. Trajectory wise it could be more diagonally oriented than Mario's. Also it wouldn't be a punch, but the powered up crouch jump from Super Mario Bros. 2. (Second to last row in the picture)

-Toad's version of Luigi's side-B could actually work like Luigi's up-B in that it can't be charged, goes straight forward, does okay damage when it hits. In a reversal of Luigi's up-B, however, it could be stronger the farther into the move you hit the opponent. Kind of like Wario's Shoulder Bash move, though obviously you don't run or jump with it.

Normals:

-Jab: Does a 3-hit combo with kicks similarly to how Lucas' jab is in vBrawl. It could also have similar knockback.
-Forward Tilt: Swings his two fists in front of him like how when he was held by Peach. Like Ivysaur's f-tilt, it would be more of a trapping attack that racks up damage, and wouldn't have a lot of knockback.
-Forward Smash: One of Toad's stronger moves, he'll swing that big ol' head in front of him, with his mushroom spores coming out for added visual effect when fully charged. Could be copied from Bowser's forward smash (though it wouldn't be that powerful)
-Dash Attack: A slide attack like Mario's dash attack, though Toad can act out of it quicker.
-Up Tilt: Like Mario's u-tilt, only Toad would use both of his arms and it would be animated similarly to Ness' u-tilt.
-Up Smash: Like a more powerful version of Mario's u-smash, though it'd have slightly slower startup.
-Down Tilt: A little kick in front of him, it would be the fastest d-tilt of the three. Could maybe use Ness' d-tilt animation.
-Down Smash: Toad does a breakdance like Mario and Luigi, though he stands on his head during the attack. Knockback wise it could have a strong initial hit that sends foes flying but would work as a multihit move with minimal knockback after that.
-Grab Pummel: Same as the Mario Brothers' (is there even a difference between those two?)
Forward Throw: Same as Mario's, but much quicker
-Back Throw: Similar to the other two's back throws but it would send at a more straight angle in contrast to Mario and Luigi's upwards ones.
-Down Throw: Same as Mario and Luigi's down throws but would release the opponent at a more diagonal angle.
-Up Throw: Same as Mario's, but quicker

Toad would move the farthest horizontally in the air, in contrast to Luigi's vertical air prowess

-Neutral Air: Toad sticks out his little foot as a sex kick. It's hard to land because of it's small range, but it sends foes at a sharp, powerful angle behind him.
-Forward Air: Like Luigi's f-air, though it would be a little easier to connect. It could also have ice particles as a visual effect, like this Toad's standard special.
-Back Air: Toad does a flip kick. It could work like Lucas' current b-air but quicker and weaker.
-Up Air: Like Mario and Luigi's but with shorter range
-Down Air: Like Mario and Luigi's d-air but quicker.

Sorry for typing a lot, but if you read everything then more power to you!
This was a really good read, and I enjoyed seeing what could possibly be brought to the table with Toad. With that in mind, I wonder, for Toad's Side-B, instead of working like Wario's, would it at all be possible for it to have a very strong hitbox only at the start of the attack, before Toad goes flying forward? I figure the move would be more combo-oriented if that was the case. Do some throws, get a nair in, and POP you just blew your opponent up with your side-special. Just a thought that came to mind.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I would love to see Toad in Project M (and Smash 4). Aside from Ridley and the DK duo (K. Rool and Dixie Kong), he is definitely the most iconic Nintendo character from a veteran franchise not yet playable in Smash Bros.

However, there is the possibility he may be confirmed for Smash 4 three weeks from now to tie in with the release of Super Mario 3D World.

Fortress

Smash Master
Personally, I would love to see Toad in Project M (and Smash 4). Aside from Ridley and the DK duo (K. Rool and Dixie Kong), he is definitely the most iconic Nintendo character from a veteran franchise not yet playable in Smash Bros.

However, there is the possibility he may be confirmed for Smash 4 three weeks from now to tie in with the release of Super Mario 3D World.
Even so, let's talk what I'm sure is on everybody's mind; recolors.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Just got back on, happy to see my Toad post went over great with everyone! Shinhed-echi's flower effect for the spores sounds cool, actually. They could take Ivysaur's on-hit flower effect properties for this.

I am curious as to who mentioned turnips, as I left them out of my post. I could kind of see it for Toad but I feel that if it happened he'd have too many projectiles. I wanted to make Toad the Wolf of the Mario clan, and I think giving him an extra projectile would outclass Mario and Luigi in versatility and make it him too focused on zoning, when I thought Toad should work best as the faster, more close-range Mario.

...Not discrediting the idea though! I liked your other ideas for his down-B as well, like the troll-ish flower attack (the metal flower thing would cause millions of recorded replays every time it happened).

I'm also a bit confused as to whether people understood my up and side specials. Up special would use the flip jump animation from Super Mario Bros. 2, specifically the Super Mario Advance version, and it would work like a sourspotted Luigi up-B, only slightly more powerful in knockback and damage (though, now that people mention it, i think it could be neat if you could charge it for more power like in SMB2). Side-special is like an uncharged Green Missile with the distance of a fully charged one. You wouldn't be able to charge it by holding the B button like with Luigi, but to compensate it gains more power the farther into the attack you connect with it, kind of like Wario's Shoulder Bash attack.

I read your post and understood what your design was quite well but i was elaborating what i felt would be more suited to the character :p i was the one who mentioned turnips because i kinda felt with toad's strength in SMB2, giving him small fast throwable projectiles would help his game, and a large heavy one because no other character can do it, making him unique. and i felt his recovery would be more suited as the helicopter hat from supermario bros4, cuz off stage i kinda feel like just a straight upward jump with a hitbox would be too easily gimpable :p
but giving him a focus on zoning wouldn't be to bad an idea, given toad's anatomy, his normals would be pretty pikachu sized, sans being able to rely on electricity for the boost in range. having him focus on zoning would help diversify his gameplay. do you wanna rushdown with quick moves and AGTed turnips? or play it safe with ice balls, carefully placed spores and loads of turnips to continuously rack up damage?
just my two cents, being a clone doesn't necessarily mean they have to resemble anything of what their original did.

D

Deleted member

Tbh, I'm a bigger Bowser Junior supporter than I am a Toad one...for Smash4 at least. The reason I want Toad in this game is because Bowser Junior is the most likely Mario character to get into the next Smash and the picture below has already been revealed practically deconfirming him.
Why is Peach so cute in that pic?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
1 vote:
Sukapon
Andy (or any other Advance Wars character)
Lyn
Hector
Paper Mario

1/2 vote:
Isaac
Krystal
Knuckles
Samurai Goroh
Ridley
Saki

downvote downvote downvote:
Pichu
Tails
Dark Samus
Dixie Kong
changed Ganondorf

Black Shadow would be awesome, but don't change Ganon. I would've preferred him with a sword in vBrawl, but the PMBR has already done a great job with bringing awesome Ganon back. Giving Black Shadow his moveset wouldn't feel right.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

This was a really good read, and I enjoyed seeing what could possibly be brought to the table with Toad. With that in mind, I wonder, for Toad's Side-B, instead of working like Wario's, would it at all be possible for it to have a very strong hitbox only at the start of the attack, before Toad goes flying forward? I figure the move would be more combo-oriented if that was the case. Do some throws, get a nair in, and POP you just blew your opponent up with your side-special. Just a thought that came to mind.

That's a cool idea, as I DID imagine Toad fighting more close-range. I just thought it would be a bit overpowered because Toad would be the fastest of the three and thus have an easier time getting close to the opponent. It can still work, though, as long as its power is lessened for maybe a higher knockback or something.

Yeah I'm kinda worried about that too :( Nonetheless I'm excited for Super Mario 3D World as I loved the first game on 3DS. People who just want another Galaxy are missing the point: we've wanted simultaneous multiplayer in a 3D Mario for years and we're finally being given it!

I read your post and understood what your design was quite well but i was elaborating what i felt would be more suited to the character :p i was the one who mentioned turnips because i kinda felt with toad's strength in SMB2, giving him small fast throwable projectiles would help his game, and a large heavy one because no other character can do it, making him unique. and i felt his recovery would be more suited as the helicopter hat from supermario bros4, cuz off stage i kinda feel like just a straight upward jump with a hitbox would be too easily gimpable :p
but giving him a focus on zoning wouldn't be to bad an idea, given toad's anatomy, his normals would be pretty pikachu sized, sans being able to rely on electricity for the boost in range. having him focus on zoning would help diversify his gameplay. do you wanna rushdown with quick moves and AGTed turnips? or play it safe with ice balls, carefully placed spores and loads of turnips to continuously rack up damage?
just my two cents, being a clone doesn't necessarily mean they have to resemble anything of what their original did.

I DO like these ideas, actually. I actually imagined Toad's normals to be Pikachu-sized like you said, neat how some people can read minds 0_0 I really wanted to make Toad have a unique moveset but I figured PMBR wouldn't go about working on a completely new character that wasn't all that popular anyway. I figured out that Toad would be more liked if he was a clone of Mario and Luigi since that's how he's represented in New Super Generic Bros.

...and while coming up with a cloned moveset I grew attached to the idea of Toad as a clone because I knew it was more likely, as PMBR would only have to work as hard as they did with Roy (yeah I know 300 hours is still a bit much...). I'd like some Super Mario Bros. 2 representation with vegetable attacks, though, so maybe it COULD replace the spore attack I made up for his down-B. It's just I wanted Toad to have a completely unique special not borrowed from many Mario characters like Peach's down-B.

On a completely unrelated note, my ride to high school (I'm a senior) never came, and I HATE being absent for school because it means more work to make up. Oh well, at least I'll have more time to look at this forum.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
by the way I'm not familiar with spoiler collapsing but I never used any tags for it, yet I have an unorganized spoiler mess. Can anyone tell me why this happened? Does it always happen when you reply to 3 people at once?

If anyone lets me know I'll edit my post to look better

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion

I mentioned the turnips. I think that would be a more recognizable projectile. I never played New Super Mario Bros. so I'm not 100% sure how that iceball thing would work. In any case, turnips would make Toad feel less cloney. He might not even need a neutral B, it could be something like press B to begin charging his jump, something like Wario Waft. SO then he would only have turnips as a projectile. And I still think side B should be some sort of grab, it would fit in line with SMB2 style Toad. He'd grab you and be able to toss you in any direction.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oo, and Toad's upsmash should be like Wario's, where he uses his head. It'd probably make more sense for Toad, hahaha.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I mentioned the turnips. I think that would be a more recognizable projectile. I never played New Super Mario Bros. so I'm not 100% sure how that iceball thing would work. In any case, turnips would make Toad feel less cloney. He might not even need a neutral B, it could be something like press B to begin charging his jump, something like Wario Waft. SO then he would only have turnips as a projectile. And I still think side B should be some sort of grab, it would fit in line with SMB2 style Toad. He'd grab you and be able to toss you in any direction.

Did you read my unintentionally collapsed spoiler reply up there?

I like the idea, actually; remember I just made a CLONE moveset, I like the other discussions about a different Toad moveset where he wouldn't be a clone. My idea isn't the only one--if you want to discuss non-clone Toad you can totally do that as a separate discussion. I'd love to read a super comprehensive list of ideas for original Toad

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
LOL so basically Toad would be a clone to DDK, but play like Mario/Luigi.

Mind. blown.
It would simply use Diddy Kong as the character slot to load. Everything beyond that can be changed. Its just Diddy would be needed because he has the required articles needed for, as people suggested, a projectile, command grab, and item spawn.

Ganondorf has no articles(that im aware of) so they couldnt use him as the slot to load for a character who would use a projectile for example.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong as a base, huh? I was thinking of using either Ness or Lucas as a base purely because their body shapes are all alike. Though for original non-clone Toad Diddy Kong WOULD make more sense article-wise.

As for mostly-clone Toad, I think he could use Ness or Lucas for body shape but mostly work off of what Mario and Luigi have basically got right now.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Replaceing Diddy Kongs model with Lucas/Ness', is extremely easy, its as simple as altering the FitDiddy01/02/03/04/05 files.

The problem comes with altering the FitDiddy.pac file which draws all the animations and psa data. That is the file needed for the articles and is what takes the longest to alter. Model swapping/changing is easy. Chaging animations and psa is the hard part.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Never have seen so much fruitful discussion on Toad. I wouldn't mind, especially after if he wouldn't show up in SSB4.

Crusade's Toad though didn't leave too good taste for some reason. But I'd love him to appear in the official iteration of SSB if some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom