• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
The only characters I'd want to see from the Sonic franchise is Knuckles, Mecha Sonic, and
Bean the Dynamite cause he's a badass.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
You have that out of context.

Issac was said to be in the rules of the clones. Not confirmed to be wanted by that statement.

The avatar from FE: Awakening was asked as what character would warchamp would like in Smash 4.

Yup, I just thought it was interesting that he seems to like that sword-using spellcaster fighting style.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yup, I just thought it was interesting that he seems to like that sword-using spellcaster fighting style.
but Isaac ROCKS!

no really, that's the kinda spells he uses, really don't think it's the same as what he wants.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Before I even cast my votes, I just want to say that I have no bias against any of these franchises. Truthfully, I haven't played a single entry in most of these franchises, so I spent the last hour or so looking up gameplay of these characters in action. I also don't care very much about representation. All the Pokemon are unique, viable characters, and no one can say otherwise. All I'm looking for in new characters is functional, but unique, gameplay. Thus, I am fully against clones unless they can be Luigi-fied or Roy-ified. I have no doubt that the PMBR can do a great job differentiating characters from their respective clones, as they've shown with Roy (Marth clone) and Mewtwo (Lucario clone), but you won't see a Pichu vote here. With that said,

+1 Votes
Isaac - Sword + Psyenergy has insane potential for a moveset unlike anything we've seen. I was thinking he could be similar to Ike but with projectiles/long range psyenergy moves.
Masked Man/Claus - He's got a sword, a cannon, wings, lightning, and psy powers. That's MK, Samus, Pikachu, and Ness/Lucas rolled into one crazy moveset.
Ridley - He's big, he flies, and he's a dragon. But he has potential and can definitely be differentiated from Charizard while still using Charizard as a base.
Saki - A gunblade. C'mon. He'd be somewhere between ZSS and Pit. If there's a way to change the amount of jumps a character has, I think the best clone base for Saki would be Pit. Pit's already got the two swords and a projectile built in.
King K Rool - Super unique. He's got a projectile, a rushdown move, and plenty of places to draw inspiration from.

1/2 Votes
Dark Samus - A fast projectile user is something that's not in P:M yet. Maybe this could fill that hole. I know the PMBR will differentiate this character a lot from Samus if they decide to pursue this idea.
Bowser Jr. - This could be the Toon Link to Bowser's Link. A lot of animations could be reused (just resized), and brand new moves could also be considered to make this character unlike any other in the cast.
Waluigi - After seeing the PSA in the OP, I have full faith in the PMBR to develop Waluigi into a character unlike any other in the cast. Like I said, oversaturation or representation isn't an issue for me as long as the character can stand on his/her own two feet.
Tails - Anything Andy can do, Tails can do better. He could be a speedy character like Sonic, but he'd have lots of jumps, more range, and even use his wrench or some machines in his moveset.

-1 Votes
Pichu - Pichu plays exactly like Pikachu, except she's awful in comparison. People are talking of making her a glass cannon, but that's not as easy to implement in a smash game. You'd have to design Pichu in a way where EVERY single matchup is extremely volatile. Pichu has to be able to wreck AND get wrecked by every character. And, frankly, I just don't see that happening, nor do I want to see it.
Black Shadow/Ganondorf - I was originally going to vote for this idea, but, after reading some of the responses, I've come to realize that Ganondorf is actually pretty representative of his incarnations from the LoZ franchise. Ganon may have started as a clone, but his gameplay style is nothing like Falcon's. He's got huge power and uses dark magic for all of his specials. Although I'm not completely opposed to a second Ganon that uses swords, I think other sword users deserve the spotlight before a second Ganon.
Toad - I just don't see how this character could possibly earn the spotlight in such a varied cast. Frankly put, he's boring. He doesn't deserve the spot over others on this list.
Tom Nook - My two main reasons for opposing Tom Nook are, 1) Tom Nook sounds like a Game and Watch clone. He'd just pull out furniture and a bunch of random objects to hit his foes. And 2) With the VIllager already confirmed for SSB4, this could be taken the wrong way by Nintendo. It'd be nearly impossible to differentiate Nook's moveset from both SSB4's villager AND G&W.
Sami - I don't know anything about this character, but Andy should be a character before Sami simply because he's the main character. It'd be like including Tails and not Sonic.
Sukapon - I first saw this character and thought it'd be really cool. But, upon further inspection, I've decided this character would be an unbalanced addition to P:M. He's got huge range AND lacks limbs. This means there won't be much of anything to hit that isn't trying to hit you. Also, this character seems a lot like Olimar + Pikmin, except the Pikmin are his hands, return to him, and never die.

I'm completely indifferent to everyone else on the OP's list. I have a lot of faith in the PMBR to make topnotch characters, even if they are clones.
Samurai Goroh
Lyn
Hector
Andy
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario
Krystal
Knuckles
Shadow

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Another interesting comparison is that the default name for the FE13 avatar is Robin, and Isaac's Japanese name happens to be Robin.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
do you know why I want red in the OP? because everyone completely ignores him otherwise.

Maybe I need to be more specific, it's that the thought never crosses their mind.

Another interesting comparison is that the default name for the FE13 avatar is Robin, and Isaac's Japanese name happens to be Robin.
is it really? do you think it's a hint then?

...naw, probably not.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
do you know why I want red in the OP? because everyone completely ignores him otherwise.

Maybe I need to be more specific, it's that the thought never crosses their mind.

is it really? do you think it's a hint then?

...naw, probably not.
It's just a bit more odd, trying to imagine the trainer himself entering the fray. Can you imagine? "POKEBALL USE TACKLE!"

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I'd be able to get behind Red as a playable character if I thought he could use a bunch of different Pokemon for each different attack (think Game and Watch) and he wasn't directly competing with Pichu. Personally I'd much rather have a character I know I love than one that sounds maybe cool in theory.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's just a bit more odd, trying to imagine the trainer himself entering the fray. Can you imagine? "POKEBALL USE TACKLE!"
well he's obviously not going to say stuff like that, as cheesey as it is. besides, I kinda see him as an oddball character anyways, kinda like villager in ssb4 or Phoenix Wright in UMVC3.

I don't know, it's just someone who I think has potential, and a bunch of people agree, it's just I see him glazed over just because he's not in the OP.

I did have a thing last page, it had a bunch of positives and negatives. it's mostly positive.

I'd be able to get behind Red as a playable character if I thought he could use a bunch of different Pokemon for each different attack (think Game and Watch) and he wasn't directly competing with Pichu. Personally I'd much rather have a character I know I love than one that sounds maybe cool in theory.
that's another thing, I really wish that people would either forget about pichu or accept the fact that they are both veterans and let them both in.

but I digress.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
They may both be veterans, but the Red's new moveset would be entirely new and that's really what people mean when they talk about veterans vs newcomers (I think). Red's moveset is still in the game in the form of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. True, he may not be in the game anymore but he never did anything of note aside from be slightly distracting during battles.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Sukapon - I first saw this character and thought it'd be really cool. But, upon further inspection, I've decided this character would be an unbalanced addition to P:M. He's got huge range AND lacks limbs. This means there won't be much of anything to hit that isn't trying to hit you. Also, this character seems a lot like Olimar + Pikmin, except the Pikmin are his hands, return to him, and never die.

He doesn't have any huge range. All his normal attacks are... normal attacks. Just imagine Mario fighting, but you make his arms and legs transparent. They could make it so that he has a little longer reach, kinda like less than swordslength, but proportion-wise, he's not Dhalsim. His attacks where he does stretch out are his projectile attacks, where he throws out his head. So yeah, not Olimar-like or anything.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
alright...
I respect your opinions, but I really do think that Red would be better as a playable character then a BG element. mostly because I've overhyped myself to the point of no return. also because the background thing was stupid anyways.

@Trojanpooh
Alright, maybe people are expecting veterans to have movesets, but he's still a veteran. (I don't even care if that's pretty much what you said, but re-worded in my favor)

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
My positive votes will go for Waluigi, Ridley, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong, King. K Rool, Tails, and Knuckles.

I'm indifferent about Masked Man/Claus, Tom Nook, Saki Amamiya, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Isaac, Dark Samus, Sami, Andy, Sukapon/Skapon, Hector, Lyn, Samurai Goroh, and Pichu.

Negative against Shadow, Toad, and Krystal.

As for a character suggestion, I'll go with Meowth.

+Pros.
-Is both a Trophy and a Pokeball Pokemon in Brawl.
-Was a planned character for SSB64.
-Might not have a chance in SSB4.
-Somewhat popular (Team Rocket's Meowth).

-Cons.
-Another Pokemon.
-Might have a chance in SSB4.
-Moveset might be diverse.
-Geting proper SFX might be difficult.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
My positive votes will go for Waluigi, Ridley, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong, King. K Rool, Tails, and Knuckles.

I'm indifferent about Masked Man/Claus, Tom Nook, Saki Amamiya, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Isaac, Dark Samus, Sami, Andy, Sukapon/Skapon, Hector, Lyn, Samurai Goroh, and Pichu.

Negative against Shadow, Toad, and Krystal.

As for a character suggestion, I'll go with Meowth.

+Pros.
-Is both a Trophy and a Pokeball Pokemon in Brawl.
-Was a planned character for SSB64.
-Might not have a chance in SSB4.
-Somewhat popular (Team Rocket's Meowth).

-Cons.
-Another Pokemon.
-Might have a chance in SSB4.
-Moveset might be diverse.
-Geting proper SFX might be difficult.

You have to choose 5 of your positive votes to get the full vote, and the rest get half votes.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I was thinking they could have Red chilling in the background just like in vBrawl whenever you play as Squirtle/Ivy/Zard. Only difference would be that you can't switch.

Yeah, that'd be pretty sick. I do kinda miss having him around. I wonder if it's difficult to have him floating around in custom stages? They could probably figure it out pretty easy.

Or maybe Red can return as the trainer of Pichu? He's the champ after all - if anyone can make Pichu viable, it's Red.

/so based

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
My apologies. I must have missed that part... <.>

My positive votes go to Waluigi, Ridley, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong, and Tails.
Holy Crap its King Jiggly Puff from Kitty Forums!! How you doing man? =D

OOHHHH SHOOTT YOU MESSED UP and I live to see it!! YEEESS!!!

(*Whispers* KingJigglyPuff secretly hates me lmao)

Saki - A gunblade. C'mon. He'd be somewhere between ZSS and Pit. If there's a way to change the amount of jumps a character has, I think the best clone base for Saki would be Pit. Pit's already got the two swords and a projectile built in.
Btw.....Saki can also have some Fox/Falco too with the Grab Throws...........like when they throw shoot their enemies (Especially Back Throw)........This will be helpful if its hard to give Saki his proper projectiles as seen from the Assist trophy action

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
he probably hates you more now.
maaaaybbee lol........I'd probably be under special supervision on KC-MM while he's in the Super Computer Room..........plotting and.......plotting
==================================================================================
1/2 VOTE
BTW I'm going to update my voting post and add "Masked Man/Claus" whom I was missing........I will "1/2 Vote" him.

Explanation:

I initially thought that Earthbound had enough reps with Ness and Lucas........but seeing some of your posts about this Claus dude and Masked Man........I can tell that he is a pretty unique character.........I've also seen his name before on dream rosters from users in the past. Of all Earthbound characters, I feel that He'd make the best 3rd character of the series (Other then Ninten.......who can be sort of an Alternate Costume of Ness since they already look like the same person......So i don't know if the "Avoiding Alternate Character" as Alt. Costume applies here) He seems to show easy cloning paths and very much value that I don't even have to know Too much about Mother 3 or his positioning in the plot. The mere view of his appearance strikes much potential in my eyes. There is no PSA mad for this character that I know of. I really don't think his chances are likely as a Full character in SSB4 for some reason so his inclusion here is very righteous.

YOU GUYS CAN THANK YOURSELVES FOR THIS 1/2 VOTE......because I was thinking Down Vote but I have a very open mind

=================================================================================

The only slightly Bias thing with me is that I haven't given anything for Waluigi and I won't because I don't want to vote him down. He's the one I truely want the most but I don't see the point of the addition here if the PSA made for him is perfect and the creator is even making it PM-friendly (Notice the last part of his trailer reveal) and we can easily add him in............He's already too far down enough and I don't want to be affiliated with the notation that he doesn't deserve it...............This is the only character that I will say indifferent

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Every time I see a Black Shadow/Ganondorf up-vote, it hurts my soul.
I literally feel emotional pain.
This is the only idea that does that.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
.....!

That means you are okay with red?

+1 FOR THE ROBMIESTER

...uh, I mean red, of course.
Red is cool. He is like the digital embodiment of cool in the pokeyman world.
I just think there may be more potential with other characters.
If the moveset you proposed earlier was a little more tangible (not that they were bad ideas), I woulda 1/2 voted.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Just goes to show that the popular opinion is sometimes really really stupid.
yeah, like pichu

Red is cool. He is like the digital embodiment of cool in the pokeyman world.
I just think there may be more potential with other characters.
If the moveset you proposed earlier was a little more tangible (not that they were bad ideas), I woulda up-voted.
That reminds me, I was going to edit that moveset to take into account project M limitations and stuff. I originally created that moveset with no limits on the posibilities. project M has limits. that's why it won't work.

I'll be right back.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If they really wanted to go all-out with the characters beyond the five reminaing clone slots, there are the four alloys, Giga Bowser and Wario Man (they could give the both of them new, non-transforming Final Smashes), and Pokemon Trainer (EDIT: Sandbag as well, don't know why I forgot him). That's another 7 8 characters possible right there.

Obviously, though, none of them are getting replaced. I'd like to see a standalone Trainer fighting, however, as that would be awesome and definitely not seemingly as much work as creating other characters from scratch. (EDIT: And standalone Sandbag as a fighter would be, like, amazing.)

I kinda wish, too, that Palutena wasn't as likely for SM4SH only from the standpoint that she could be added to Project M and then wouldn't simply be the only NPC non-boss character in the SSE.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
If they really wanted to go all-out with the characters beyond the five reminaing clone slots, there are the four alloys, Giga Bowser and Wario Man (they could give the both of them new, non-transforming Final Smashes), and Pokemon Trainer (EDIT: Sandbag as well, don't know why I forgot him). That's another 7 8 characters possible right there.

Obviously, though, none of them are getting replaced. I'd like to see a standalone Trainer fighting, however, as that would be awesome and definitely not seemingly as much work as creating other characters from scratch. (EDIT: And standalone Sandbag as a fighter would be, like, amazing.)

I kinda wish, too, that Palutena wasn't as likely for SM4SH only from the standpoint that she could be added to Project M and then wouldn't simply be the only NPC non-boss character in the SSE.
I was wondering if Metal Mario (As we know him from/since SSB64) could be a good "alloy" character since he didn't really use B-moves to my knowledge

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
yeah, like pichu

Haha, I'm not above admitting that I laughed. I don't think adding Black Shadow is inherently a bad idea, but changing a pre-established character is a bad idea. Taking Ganondorf's moveset and slapping it on Black Shadow would be upsetting to current Ganondorf mains which isn't an issue that exists with adding new characters. A slightly more appropriate discussion would be on adding a 2nd Ganondorf. Not an idea that I personally support, but it's less idiotic than putting a fan favorite moveset of a legendary character on a nobody from [currently] dead series.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
==================================================================================
1/2 VOTE
BTW I'm going to update my voting post and add "Masked Man/Claus" whom I was missing........I will "1/2 Vote" him.

Explanation:

I initially thought that Earthbound had enough reps with Ness and Lucas........but seeing some of your posts about this Claus dude and Masked Man........I can tell that he is a pretty unique character.........I've also seen his name before on dream rosters from users in the past. Of all Earthbound characters, I feel that He'd make the best 3rd character of the series (Other then Ninten.......who can be sort of an Alternate Costume of Ness since they already look like the same person......So i don't know if the "Avoiding Alternate Character" as Alt. Costume applies here) He seems to show easy cloning paths and very much value that I don't even have to know Too much about Mother 3 or his positioning in the plot. The mere view of his appearance strikes much potential in my eyes. There is no PSA mad for this character that I know of. I really don't think his chances are likely as a Full character in SSB4 for some reason so his inclusion here is very righteous.

YOU GUYS CAN THANK YOURSELVES FOR THIS 1/2 VOTE......because I was thinking Down Vote but I have a very open mind

=================================================================================

The only slightly Bias thing with me is that I haven't given anything for Waluigi and I won't because I don't want to vote him down. He's the one I truely want the most but I don't see the point of the addition here if the PSA made for him is perfect and the creator is even making it PM-friendly (Notice the last part of his trailer reveal) and we can easily add him in............He's already too far down enough and I don't want to be affiliated with the notation that he doesn't deserve it...............This is the only character that I will say indifferent
I'm just going to quote myself

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Am I the only one here that thinks Lip from Panel de pon would make for a sick character?

As I doubt she's getting in Sm4sh, and the fact that the lip's stick has been an item since melee, she'd be a cool obscure choice.

Not to mention it'd fuel my unhealthy addiction to puzzle league/tetris attack.

Still not a wanted as Saki for myself, but I'd be pretty hyped if she was even considered.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
That might depend on the amount of data stored for each of those characters. Sandbag, for example, might not have enough space for overwriting a complete character onto him. I'm unsure if the alloys are actually characters and not just reskins (if they are separate as far as game data goes at least one should be consumed to expand the roster. I'd say yellow, maybe green).
I'd also like to see if they can either switch Giga Bowser and Wario Man to being self-contained in the character or swap them out entirely, even though I'm sure numerous people would object.

Still, having even just one more clone slot would be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom