• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I think the reason they cant be used is that their files are similar to the polygons, in that their directories dont allow certain actions. The polygons cannot grab ledges for example. The same probably applies to Warioman and Giga Bowser directories. They are not allowed to do things "standard" characters would be able too. Which is something that can't be changed.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Made some changes to the moveset so Project M wouldn't have nightmares about trying to code pokemon trainer catching opponents, along with a new up-smash and all-around changes.

[collapse=Red's FULL moveset]
[collapse=how I'm rating the size and stuff]
Real Low---Low---Below average---Little below average--Average--Little above average---Above average---High---Very high
example, size
Squirtle---Pikachu---Pikmin and Olimar---Ivysaur--Mario--Link---Snake---Charizard---Bowser
[/collapse]
Size: [little above average] about the same as snake, if not a bit shorter.
Weight: [average] he does have a bag with so much in it, it really shouldn't all fit.
Friction: [little below average] his shoes don't look like they would have any good traction on many surfaces.
Air Mobility: [Low] it's RED. he only jumps when going off cliffs. which, might I add, is the OPPOSITE of what smash is supposed to be.

Grapple (Old Rod):
Red pulls out the old rod and uses it to try to nab opponents and pull them closer. missing will leave red vulnerable. works like link's grapple, although it may be closer to Samus'.

Jab:
just a basic one-two punch. like snake's but without a kick. possibly could be cloned?

Tilts:
Side Tilt (Strength): Red uses the power of his pokemon and does a good shove.(taken from the way strength is used in the field) does high knockback for a tilt.
Down Tilt (PAcK): Red crouches down and opens his pack to look for something. does multiple hits
Up Tilt: Red raises his pokeball high in the air.

Smashes:
Side Smash (Cut): Red uses the power of his pokemon and a slash effect is seen in front of red, while he holds a pokeball up high .(taken from the way cut is used in the field)
Down Smash (Bait): Red places a bait on the ground, like in the safari zone. will heal teammates if eaten, and will stun opponents if stepped on. longer the charge, better the heal/stun. Could be cloned partially from snake's down B or dsmash.
Up Smash (Max Repel): Red brings his can up and releases a spray of repel.

Specials:
Down Special (I choose you!): Red brings out a pokeball item, which has been altered to only bring out weaker pokemon like Torchic, Piplup, or Chicorita. it has a charge time of about 30 seconds in-between uses.
Side Special (Bike): Red rides a bike. when he starts this move, a familiar "ding" can be heard. Works just like Wario's bike.
Neutral Special (Rock Throw): Red throws a rock. it travels in an arching motion. could possibly be cloned off snake's grenade throw.
Up Special (Rod Tether): Red uses his trusty fishing pole to try and grab the ledge. works just like a mixture between Ivysaur and ZSS's up specials.

Taunts:
Up Taunt: Red tosses his pokeball up and catches it, all while tipping his hat and facing the screen.
Side Taunt: Red checks his pokedex for information.
Down Taunt: Red ties his shoe.
[/collapse]

Krigeris

Smash Rookie
1.Gannon/Black Shadow
2.Dark Samus
3.Bowser Junior
4.Paper Mario
5.King K Rool

Half votes for
Tom Nook
Toon Zelda
Shadow
Waluigi
Knuckles

Downvotes for
Issac and lynn - because I feel we have enough sword users as it stands
Sami and Andy - Never was really a fan of snake so semi-clones for him I probably wouldnt enjoy
Skapon - don't think his character has as much potential as the other top ones

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I feel like I need to put in an extra rule that you have to have a decent recent for downvoting characters...
I think the purpose of requiring a reason is lost when the votes are presented as aggregate scores. I've been thinking about a solution, and this is the best I've got:

Create a record where you list each voting user, and under each name copy/paste their votes and reasoning, along with links to the relevant posts. Upload this list to Google Docs or something, viewable only by you and the BR, so it's not so easy to game the system by copying other people's reasons. This way, if the BR wants to know whether the public opposes a character for having limited potential or for being likely to be in Smash 4, they can simply look at the votes themselves. A method of sorting the list to prioritize all votes for a single character - or even all votes of a certain type for a single character - would be a handy organizational tool, but I don't know of any format that supports that besides, like, Wordpress or something. Ctrl+F works well enough, though, so it's not a big deal. At this point such a list would require some work to bring up-to-date, but should be easily maintained after that.

There may be a better method, but this at least should allow for quality assurance on the votes, without any subjectivity from anyone but the decision makers.

Also, I'm updating my own votes:
+1
Sukapon
Waluigi
Ganondorf
Ridley
+1/2
Paper Mario
King K. Rool, this one's new
Third Party Characters

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Am I the only one here that thinks Lip from Panel de pon would make for a sick character?

As I doubt she's getting in Sm4sh, and the fact that the lip's stick has been an item since melee, she'd be a cool obscure choice.

Not to mention it'd fuel my unhealthy addiction to puzzle league/tetris attack.

Still not a wanted as Saki for myself, but I'd be pretty hyped if she was even considered.

Gotta show how her moveset can work first

I think the purpose of requiring a reason is lost when the votes are presented as aggregate scores. I've been thinking about a solution, and this is the best I've got:

Create a record where you list each voting user, and under each name copy/paste their votes and reasoning, along with links to the relevant posts. Upload this list to Google Docs or something, viewable only by you and the BR, so it's not so easy to game the system by copying other people's reasons. This way, if the BR wants to know whether the public opposes a character for having limited potential or for being likely to be in Smash 4, they can simply look at the votes themselves. A method of sorting the list to prioritize all votes for a single character - or even all votes of a certain type for a single character - would be a handy organizational tool, but I don't know of any format that supports that besides, like, Wordpress or something. Ctrl+F works well enough, though, so it's not a big deal. At this point such a list would require some work to bring up-to-date, but should be easily maintained after that.

There may be a better method, but this at least should allow for quality assurance on the votes, without any subjectivity from anyone but the decision makers.

Also, I'm updating my own votes:
+1
Sukapon
Waluigi
Ganondorf
Ridley
+1/2
Paper Mario
King K. Rool, this one's new
Third Party Characters
Good idea, but geez, I don't have that much time o_o

Downvotes for
Issac and lynn - because I feel we have enough sword users as it stands
Sami and Andy - Never was really a fan of snake so semi-clones for him I probably wouldnt enjoy

Skapon - don't think his character has as much potential as the other top ones

Andy wasn't billed as a Snake clone. Only Sami. And I don't understand how Skapon doesn't have as much potential, especially when you're comparing him to clones. All characters have good potential. In fact it's the ones that are too specific like King K. Rool that have reduced potentials because they might not be able to match their movesets in the game. Don't forget that they work under limitations here, they can't pull moves out of their asses. Only moves that have already been pulled out of someone else's ass.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Are you against Ganondorf getting his new "Sword" styled moveset? or Black Shadow getting his traditional moveset?
I'm against the idea of Ganondorf being split in two.
Especially now that stance changes with taunts are possible, people should be asking for that instead of using a clone engine slot.
Also, who honestly wants Black Shadow as a character? A lot of people only want him because he would fill Ganon's vacant moveset, and not because he is meaningful to them.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I'm against the idea of Ganondorf being split in two.
Especially now that stance changes with taunts are possible, people should be asking for that instead of using a clone engine slot.
Also, who honestly wants Black Shadow as a character? A lot of people only want him because he would fill Ganon's vacant moveset, and not because he is meaningful to them.
Yeah, I agree with this........Thats why I voted for Goroh instead.........If people want Sword Ganon in this game (Which I believe is going to be in SSB4 because of Twilight Princess still being represented) I was going to suggest why not give Ganon the option of using his sword from the Taunt where he takes it out...........A double moveset for him, rather than eliminating his original moveset which still has its visual differences from Falcon like Side B...........Both have their playstyles, advantages and disadvantages............maybe he would play even slower with a sword but more powerful...or reach in attacks

Theres like at least 3 PSAs that show what I'm talking about

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Yeah, I agree with this........Thats why I voted for Goroh instead.........If people want Sword Ganon in this game (Which I believe is going to be in SSB4 because of Twilight Princess still being represented) I was going to suggest why not give Ganon the option of using his sword from the Taunt where he takes it out...........A double moveset for him, rather than eliminating his original moveset which still has its visual differences from Falcon like Side B...........Both have their playstyles, advantages and disadvantages............maybe he would play even slower with a sword but more powerful...or reach in attacks

Theres like at least 3 PSAs that show what I'm talking about

Typically three dots is good enough.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Why can't Mii be a character? :0 there's plenty of stuff mii is in, like Mario kart, find mii, etc.
Maybe because Brawl doesn't call the Mii data? And that there are so many different wii shapes and sizes that it's near impossible to make a single moveset without desyncing online? Just my thoughts/

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Why not open a poll so people can actually vote, since I haven't seen an actual vote happen in the weeks I've seen this poll thread open?

Unless the actual vote happened a long time ago and then you closed it quickly, in which case this all seems so pointless.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Why not open a poll so people can actually vote, since I haven't seen an actual vote happen in the weeks I've seen this poll thread open?

Unless the actual vote happened a long time ago and then you closed it quickly, in which case this all seems so pointless.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
So you won't open a REAL poll so you can do your dumb aggregate fanwank system instead? Got it Anti- All Good Things.

Alright. Why don't you finish your middle school math and reading courses first, then reread the OP and tell me how a poll would work for this system?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
A poll works based on popularity. Simple really. If your system can't handle that then ditch the system.

But hey go bs some more rules instead about character downvoting or whatever else you make up.

Malion

Smash Ace
So you won't open a REAL poll so you can do your dumb aggregate fanwank system instead? Got it Anti- All Good Things.
Well we are up and down voting different things... and this is a discussion thread as well... so having an open poll to discuss and validate votes makes it more meaningful than just a Poll anyone could click on without a second thought.

Especially when you consider we can vote for characters not yet suggested. If we were to make a poll and put OTHER on it you can bet your @ss that would have the most votes regardless.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Well we are up and down voting different things... and this is a discussion thread as well... so having an open poll to discuss and validate votes makes it more meaningful than just a Poll anyone could click on without a second thought.

Especially when you consider we can vote for characters not yet suggested. If we were to make a poll and put OTHER on it you can bet your @ss that would have the most votes regardless.
On top of that, if there wasn't an "other" option, the only characters that would have relevant results are Isaac and Ridley, with Isaac having something like 60 - 70% of the votes. That doesn't give us much to work with at all.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
A poll works based on popularity. Simple really. If your system can't handle that then ditch the system.

But hey go bs some more rules instead about character downvoting or whatever else you make up.

I'll spell it out for you.

A poll can only count votes, period. If you do a poll with multiple options, then either you're limited to a number or all of them. There's no control. Second, I put in downvotes for the purpose of assessing unpopularity, which is just as important as popularity. This isn't a one-or-the-other binary system where if you don't vote for something, then you clearly don't support it. There are also 5 slots, so it's important to weigh that in, so this isn't a blanket vote-all situation, but rather pick-and-choose your weight. In other words, this isn't just a simple popularity poll. A poll conducted the way you want would be absolutely meaningless.

Poll
Pro:
-Everything is counted automatically

Cons:
-Anonymity
-You can only count positive votes.
-You can't differentiate weights of votes
-Is not flexible with vote choices

Pro/Con:
-It's not updated realtime. The good thing is that is that it's blind until I post the results.

Posts - I don't know if you're blind, you can't read, or you actually didn't look at any of the posts, but people have actually been voting. There are over 120 votes.

Pros:
-Can include reasoning and match each person to their vote.
-No anonymity, so you can't rig the votes
-You can weigh votes, both positive and negative
-Fosters discussion
-Can add new vote choices that are not on the poll

Con:
-I have to count them up

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I'll spell it out for you.

A poll can only count votes, period. If you do a poll with multiple options, then either you're limited to a number or all of them. There's no control. Second, I put in downvotes for the purpose of assessing unpopularity, which is just as important as popularity. This isn't a one-or-the-other binary system where if you don't vote for something, then you clearly don't support it. There are also 5 slots, so it's important to weigh that in, so this isn't a blanket vote-all situation, but rather pick-and-choose your weight. In other words, this isn't just a simple popularity poll. A poll conducted the way you want would be absolutely meaningless.

Poll
Pro:
-Everything is counted automatically

Cons:
-Anonymity
-You can only count positive votes.
-You can't differentiate weights of votes
-Is not flexible with vote choices

Pro/Con:
-It's not updated realtime. The good thing is that is that it's blind until I post the results.

Posts - I don't know if you're blind, you can't read, or you actually didn't look at any of the posts, but people have actually been voting. There are over 120 votes.

Pros:
-Can include reasoning and match each person to their vote.
-No anonymity, so you can't rig the votes
-You can weigh votes, both positive and negative
-Fosters discussion
-Can add new vote choices that are not on the poll

Con:
-I have to count them up
Another Con: "Unpopularity" (as you put it, for the Down-Voting) can easily be misconstrued for hate.......which I figure will be hard to tell among the many.

Malion

Smash Ace
+1 For Anti-Guy. Someone mod a tomato into the game plz.
Technically the maximum tomato is in the game so it should be ok to base a character on a tomato.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Maybe because Brawl doesn't call the Mii data? And that there are so many different wii shapes and sizes that it's near impossible to make a single moveset without desyncing online? Just my thoughts/
I didn't mean your actual Mii. I'm talking about just Miis. Get some generic ones.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
If the poll system here really is that crappy, I do understand not wanting to use it. But don't change the rules you've established after the fact, that really is what I found annoying about it.

If your counting all these names I apologize for implying they aren't real votes.

Malion

Smash Ace
how strict are forum rules around here? I don't see why we couldn't try multiple polling formats to see what works... or if you don't like the way it's run you can run it your way... etc.

I'm not encouraging anarchy here but since the polls are unofficial anyway I don't see the need for any formal limitations.

And in everything they're in you know what you can do? I'll give you a hint: it starts with 'C' and ends in 'ustomize them'
Can't customize them?
Sorry I'm not good with hints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom