• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Eh, I think I remember Vigilante saying they could use more animators to help speed up development. I'm currently on mobile, could someone confirm that for me real quick, it could have been a different PMBR/DT member.
I remember as well that he said they were really limited in good animators. He specifically mentioned that Haloedhero did Mewtwo pretty much / entirely on his own.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As a completely random side note, the reddit community is actively ********. Right now I'm getting downvoted for explaining that DACUS and Gatling aren't the same thing.

A PMBR member tried to weigh in and he's getting the same treatment.

Basically this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ
I feel the same way on this site. Its EXTREMELY obvious Ridley is not a playable character in Smash 4, and I have been supporting him longer than anyone else (over 15 years), yet I get shouted down and called a Ridley-hater and troll because I state the obvious.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I feel the same way on this site. Its EXTREMELY obvious Ridley is not a playable character in Smash 4, and I have been supporting him longer than anyone else (over 15 years), yet I get shouted down and called a Ridley-hater and troll because I state the obvious.
The intrinsic difference is that that kind of bandwagon boo'ing is reserved to certain parts.

You're getting particularly rough treatment in the Smash 4 section because there's not much to say about the game yet, so none of the reasonable players/ forum goers have started checking those forums yet. Instead you've got lots of casual players hype masturbating and screaming at nay sayers.

Smashboards deserves credit for having a generally good environment, provided you browse the right areas. Reddit has no right areas.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Bit of a tangent but no lies, there are times where I wish that Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo would just be announced not because of any particular desire I have to see them in playable roles, but because I just want this chapter of the Smash fan base's desires to end. That and I never want to hear from [strike]children[/strike] people sporting K. Rool avatars about how I'm deluded because liking and wanting to see Takamaru (or Lip, Mike Jones, Andy/Sami/Max, Saki/Isa/Katchi, Wonder Red, etc) in a playable role is more laughable than the idea that K. Rool is anything but a sure thing because DKC revival that didn't involve the character whatsoever and Dixie Kong "wouldn't make sense".

/salt

On the topic of Project M and the clone engine characters, I'd really like it if more P:M members would actually say who they'd back if they themselves weren't in charge of things. I love peeks into people's minds.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Bit of a tangent but no lies, there are times where I wish that Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo would just be announced not because of any particular desire I have to see them in playable roles, but because I just want this chapter of the Smash fan base's desires to end. That and I never want to hear from [strike]children[/strike] people sporting K. Rool avatars about how I'm deluded because liking and wanting to see Takamaru (or Lip, Mike Jones, Andy/Sami/Max, Saki/Isa/Katchi, Wonder Red, etc) in a playable role is more laughable than the idea that K. Rool is anything but a sure thing because DKC revival that didn't involve the character whatsoever and Dixie Kong "wouldn't make sense".

/salt

On the topic of Project M and the clone engine characters, I'd really like it if more P:M members would actually say who they'd back if they themselves weren't in charge of things. I love peeks into people's minds.
People are always going to contradict themselves bk. There is no way around it. The only delusion there is, is the fact they can't see that they are being hypocrites for calling someone else out when the thing they are supporting is just as unlikely. But I hear ya. I'm all about this logic. Getting K. Rool and Ridley out of our hair would definitely shut a lot of people up, at the very least.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
People are always going to contradict themselves bk. There is no way around it. The only delusion there is, is the fact they can't see that they are being hypocrites for calling someone else out when the thing they are supporting is just as unlikely. But I hear ya. I'm all about this logic. Getting K. Rool and Ridley out of our hair would definitely shut a lot of people up, at the very least.
It's not even like I'm going out of the way to be some stalwart of "Sakurai logic" so much as in my time spent checking Smash news on multiple sites leading to the Smash 4 release, I've never run into a more brazen and inflammatory set of people. I'll avoid painting with wide brushes as much as I can but it's just somehow infuriating (and mildly hilarious) that even though in discussion I've never outright called a pick or desire "bad" and want everyone to get theirs, dudes still want to pick fights because "you're on the wrong squad". :lol

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's not even like I'm going out of the way to be some stalwart of "Sakurai logic" so much as in my time spent checking Smash news on multiple sites leading to the Smash 4 release, I've never run into a more brazen and inflammatory set of people. I'll avoid painting with wide brushes as much as I can but it's just somehow infuriating (and mildly hilarious) that even though in discussion I've never outright called a pick or desire "bad" and want everyone to get theirs, dudes still want to pick fights because "you're on the wrong squad". :lol
Oh trust me. I know.... I know... Ridley has been a huge can of worms in this threads existence since day one, so I can imagine it is just as bad elsewhere. And many other characters like K. Rool are like that too, but to a lesser degree. It is very frustrating to argue about something that may not be relevant to your interests. But people are always quick to say, "If it isn't this character than LOL NOPE! This guy deserves it more". Which is hardly fair when a majority of those people aren't even fans of that series. I know I get pretty boiled up when someone says "Character A deserves it more than Character B" but that person has no interest or ties to the series they are arguing against. In their eyes, if it is anything but what they want, it is stupid. That is the internet for you. But I sincerely hope the non-mouthy Ridley and K. Rool fans eventually get what they want. They are pretty overdue for an appearance.

And one last thing about this topic. It is honestly best to keep to yourself on this general topic. People are always going to act this way because... well... it is the internet. Just ignore anyone giving you **** dude and go about your day. There is no point in fighting stupidity. Still though. You have my respect.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Guys my hype for 3.5 died.

Idk what to do now
Go look at the OP of the Alt Costume thread and look at all the new costumes again.

If that fails, watch all the Project M videos since the Turbo Mode announcement. Pay special attention to Roy and Mewtwo reveals, and then remember that you've got five more of these possibly coming in addition to more costumes, and possibly more modes.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Go look at the OP of the Alt Costume thread and look at all the new costumes again.

If that fails, watch all the Project M videos since the Turbo Mode announcement. Pay special attention to Roy and Mewtwo reveals, and then remember that you've got five more of these possibly coming in addition to more costumes, and possibly more modes.
Idk, I just have a ton of doubts about 3.5

I really think that it will be the make or break it update, and if it fails the p:m scene is gonna be damaged <_>

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

I really think that it will be the make or break it update, and if it fails the p:m scene is gonna be damaged <_>

..........Damaged? Lol. Dude the P:M fans have been around since the first version demanding Samus. They aren't going anywhere.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724

That's why there are things like updates and fixes :p . If they don't get it right the first time, then try again in 3.5b or 3.51. I hope there will be an update system for Sm4sh also because the 3ds and the Wii-U has support for updates so they have no excuse to abandon their game on release.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
for a change of pace.

I was thinking about how Roy, while based off of Marth, uses Ike's Bair today. Started me on thinking what moves (primarily A moves) could be cut and paste from other existing characters onto any of the possible clone engine characters.
unless i'm completley wrong and they made the Bair animation from scratch, surely the PMBR look for this stuff to try and keep the need for new animations as low as they can, while making more easily noticable cosmetic differences between the clone and it's base.

i'm assuming there must be restrictions and criteria that need to be met in these cases.
on top of that, i'm assuming they can just export and import existing animations.

can anyone shed some light on this? i'm legit curious.

1406246102274.jpg

Shin F.

Smash Master
for a change of pace.

I was thinking about how Roy, while based off of Marth, uses Ike's Bair today. Started me on thinking what moves (primarily A moves) could be cut and paste from other existing characters onto any of the possible clone engine characters.
unless i'm completley wrong and they made the Bair animation from scratch, surely the PMBR look for this stuff to try and keep the need for new animations as low as they can, while making more easily noticable cosmetic differences between the clone and it's base.

i'm assuming there must be restrictions and criteria that need to be met in these cases.
on top of that, i'm assuming they can just export and import existing animations.

can anyone shed some light on this? i'm legit curious.

View attachment 21658
As long as the characters have similar bone structures, it shouldn't be any trouble to import/export animations. Ness and Lucas, for instance, have very compatible and nearly identical bone structures, so it would be absurdly easy to take animations from one to use on a clone of the other. (I've even been playing with doing this myself for these two - so far, I've encountered no issues with doing so.) I think Marth and Ike have fairly similar bones, so it's possible they used that animation as a base for Roy's, but I don't know for certain. I think Mario and Luigi have similar bones as well, and it's likely that the Spacies do, too, but I'm not sure on that.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
so basically, the more similar they are, the more they can borrow from. much more compatability with characters of a similar build. gotcha.

cmart

Smash Lord
@ Shin F. Shin F. @ GunBuster GunBuster
Roy's bair was made from scratch by Silent Doom. I believe concepting was done by Jiang although I could be mistaken.
As for your the thrust of your question tho, yes you can port animations between characters with similar bone structures.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Welcome to the dark side of the PM boards. Where we eat cookies and most one time posters probably don't even know how to L Cancel.

Real talk though, if we had more known faces actually post about what characters they'd be interested in or what archtypes could be better represented, it wouldn't be nearly as... unappealing in here. We could also hold back on discussing extremely niche character options, but I think most of us are just trying to keep ourselves hyped up for the next clone engine character to be announced.
Would a summoner archtype (Andy perhaps :p) be a possibility or is that outside the realm of feasibility/PM competitives hate summoners

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Would a summoner archtype (Andy perhaps :p) be a possibility or is that outside the realm of feasibility/PM competitives hate summoners
Feasible or not, I like to play Smash (and PM) because I want to fight. I don't think summoning things and letting them fight is very fun, and I think most of the elite/pro players and PMBR would probably not be inclined to make attacks like that either.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Feasible or not, I like to play Smash (and PM) because I want to fight. I don't think summoning things and letting them fight is very fun, and I think most of the elite/pro players and PMBR would probably not be inclined to make attacks like that either.
I always imagined a summoner more as someone who invokes for their attacks. Like they wouldn't bring a thing out and just control them, they'd have a lot of moves like smash 4 Zelda's down B. individual attacks attached to different summoned things, without the inherent protection on them like smash 4 zeldas knight, but with some interesting property.

Pure caster, or summoner is such a kickass archetype that I'd be a bit sad to not see it appear in any smash game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I always imagined a summoner more as someone who invokes for their attacks. Like they wouldn't bring a thing out and just control them, they'd have a lot of moves like smash 4 Zelda's down B. individual attacks attached to different summoned things, without the inherent protection on them like smash 4 zeldas knight, but with some interesting property.

Pure caster, or summoner is such a kickass archetype that I'd be a bit sad to not see it appear in any smash game.
I was thinking this, as well. A summoner's attacks don't need to be summons that act independent of the character itself and fight for you like an Assist Trophy - they could just be attacks that happen to summon something to carry it out. Phantom is a good example, but there's also Waddle Dee Toss / Gordo Toss, or Robin's FS with Chrom as examples of attacks that are comparable to summons.

Isaac could somewhat fit the bill of a summoner if his moveset focused on Djinn, although for him I would prefer that he uses more of his own Psynergy attacks.

Edit: Thinking of it, Yuna in Dissidia 012 has a moveset like this. Her attacks are summons, but they only stick around for the one attack, so she's not that different from a standard fighter. I could see this transferring to Smash, although I'm not sure if it would be possible in the limits of the Clone Engine.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

I can agree with that. I guess the best way to make that work for an Advance Wars character would be pretty much summon a tank/soldier on the spot while holding down the attack, but then have that disappear after... rather than having it as an actual summoned minion?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Get off the Sm4sh boards.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Summoner..

Pretty much Jump All Stars (DS) Yamo Yugi.

It's all he did was swing with each normal being a different monster or trap card.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

I can see a summoner type being interesting. Project M doesn't have one, so it's certainly worth considering and putting in the game. I myself have never been a summoner-type person, but I guess they're pretty cool. I'd like to appeal to everyone. Andy, naturally, is the first person to come to mind because he just fits it so perfectly. So, yeah, Andy is a great choice of character, not only in general, but especially for this role. (Part of me wants to say Sami just because I think she's sexy :p)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
One caveat is that you're not really going to be able to have a true "summoner" character. From what I understand, being able to summon different things requires articles, and to be a summoner, you'd need an obscene amount of articles.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
They could take an article-happy character like Snake and change the properties of the articles, couldn't they? but even then, it would only account for the special moves...

GeZ

Smash Lord
Summoner..

Pretty much Jump All Stars (DS) Yamo Yugi.

It's all he did was swing with each normal being a different monster or trap card.
Someone else played that game. Neat. Yeah, Yamo Yugi works really well. I'd be down with that.

But just to see if this is unfeasible now, @ cmart cmart how impossible would a summoner based character as I described here:

be?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
They could take an article-happy character like Snake and change the properties of the articles, couldn't they? but even then, it would only account for the special moves...
Actually I think the articles can be reassigned from the base to different attacks. I may be wrong though.

Shin F.

Smash Master
One caveat is that you're not really going to be able to have a true "summoner" character. From what I understand, being able to summon different things requires articles, and to be a summoner, you'd need an obscene amount of articles.
If the summon needs to act independent of the character, that would certainly be true.

If they can find a believable way so that the summon merely attacks without ever doing anything independent of the character, then you could cheat a bit and do this without articles by making the summon invisible until used, then making it visible for the attack, then invisible again. It wouldn't be able to act by itself like a true article, but it would work essentially as an extension of the character.

That's provided they can fit that many models and animations into the characters' files without going over their file size limits. That's the real challenge, I think.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Too bad there aren't many characters that would fit the bill anyways. I don't think an Advance Wars character should be a summoner type (if it's Andy, he's mainly gonna fight his wrench, and if it's Sami, she's gonna Snake-clone it). The only ones that reasonable fit the bill are Isaac (and he has quite a few moves that don't require summoning) and Wario Ware's Ashley -- and she's not even that popular here.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Too bad there aren't many characters that would fit the bill anyways. I don't think an Advance Wars character should be a summoner type (if it's Andy, he's mainly gonna fight his wrench, and if it's Sami, she's gonna Snake-clone it). The only ones that reasonable fit the bill are Isaac (and he has quite a few moves that don't require summoning) and Wario Ware's Ashley -- and she's not even that popular here.
Yeah, it's quite unfortunate really. The Advance Wars characters could get away with it for their specials, but it wouldn't really fit their normals all too well. Isaac's better off as a spellsword type characters, and Ashley - I didn't even know she could summon. I'd figured she'd be a more Zelda-esque magic user.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'd be down for Isaac to have Physical and Magic based normals, and summon based specials. That'd be the most **** combo.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Yeah, it's quite unfortunate really. The Advance Wars characters could get away with it for their specials, but it wouldn't really fit their normals all too well. Isaac's better off as a spellsword type characters, and Ashley - I didn't even know she could summon. I'd figured she'd be a more Zelda-esque magic user.
Ashley could summon Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom