• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Since we are at it, why is Sami more requested than Andy? I mean, I've never played Advance Wars, but I see Andy pretty much everywhere. Is Sami a deuteragonist or something?
1. Because she's a girl (I'm not kidding. This has been given as a/the reason so many times)
2. Apparently her character would fit a fighting game better
3. Andy's character is not that likeable -- because he's an idiot.

She's not a deuteragonist. Andy's definitely the main character, although he disappears in the third game (whose protagonist is Jake). Both Sami and Max are Andy's allies and last through the third game.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I would drop a vote for Takamaru, but I'm not crazy for him. I don't down vote simply because it seems ungrateful. And, I don't want to accidentally get him in the way of a character I support, so I'll just remain neutral to him. I swear I'm not trying to be hateful or resentful. Please understand. Also, if you were mostly joking when you said that, I apologize for being a huge idiot XP.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I honestly don't understand why Ray MK III isn't further along. He is basically an air-dashing Samus gone pure-spacie.... Kinda. All things of which are apparently hype in Project M. I mean have you SEEN how fast that assist trophy hauls ass and how rapid his shots are? Make him match the height of Luigi, give him a pure accuracy based range game that relies on distance for his combos, and you got yourself one of the most intriguing characters in the game. He would basically be the Mega Man of this group.

Amazing/10. Do want.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I honestly don't understand why Ray MK III isn't further along. He is basically an air-dashing Samus gone pure-spacie.... Kinda. All things of which are apparently hype in Project M. I mean have you SEEN how fast that assist trophy hauls *** and how rapid his shots are? Make him match the height of Luigi, give him a pure accuracy based range game that relies on distance for his combos, and you got yourself one of the most intriguing characters in the game. He would basically be the Mega Man of this group.
Amazing/10. Do want.
Incidentally, Sol, you were absolutely right about his size. I've recently started playing with Squirtle a lot, and a lot of the people I play against have trouble hitting me when I use him because he's so small and fast. If there was a character who was even smaller and faster than Squirtle... I shudder to think.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Incidentally, Sol, you were absolutely right about his size. I've recently started playing with Squirtle a lot, and a lot of the people I play against have trouble hitting me when I use him because he's so small and fast. If there was a character who was even smaller and faster than Squirtle... I shudder to think.

:demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
See? Sol knows stuff. But seriously. If Ray was scaled to about the size of a toy, you would be basically fighting Vanilla Meta Knight mixed with Melee Fox using Falco's blaster. That would be too much to handle. Size him up, give him some reasonable balance, and let him go to work. Ray is honestly the type of character Project M NEEDS!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hmmm... This character. I haven't thought about him much, but from the way you describe him, I kinda want him now. The whole accuracy based game intrigues me. Now, I'm sure there's a workaround for this, but the projectiles may be an issue. Naturally, you can modify speed, power, and appearance to a degree, but what about things like size and hitboxes? I can see him using a green, more powerful version of Falco's Laser. Would it be possible to rip moves from different characters to create a composite? Also, could he possibly shoot shoot a version of the Laser ITEM'S or his Assist Trophy projectiles? I don't know if I want him, let alone need him, but he seems to be worth learning more about...

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hmmm... This character. I haven't thought about him much, but from the way you describe him, I kinda want him now. The whole accuracy based game intrigues me. Now, I'm sure there's a workaround for this, but the projectiles may be an issue. Naturally, you can modify speed, power, and appearance to a degree, but what about things like size and hitboxes? I can see him using a green, more powerful version of Falco's Laser. Would it be possible to rip moves from different characters to create a composite? Also, could he possibly shoot shoot a version of the Laser ITEM'S or his Assist Trophy projectiles? I don't know if I want him, let alone need him, but he seems to be worth learning more about...
Not sure about his AT projectiles, but it's possible to have a character use item projectiles (like Ray Gun or Super Scope shots) without actually having the item. That said, it feels kinda jank to me when I use PSAs that do that.

You can rip moves from different characters easily enough, but if the move uses an article, then it won't work unless the character is a clone of the character it was taken from. That's why Snake would probably be the best Ray base - he has more articles than any other character.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm actually one of Ray's biggest enthusiasts in this thread, and yeah I've considered all of those things. Ray's attacks could be balanced and a lot of his attack effects can be salvaged from his assist trophy, or made from existing projectile effects if need be. You see, Custom Robo is an arena fighter where your robots have nearly nothing more than traps and guns, with the exception of a few minor moves. Ray's moveset in particular would be forced around his range game and keeping away. Literally his biggest weakness would be getting too close to his opponent. And things like his grabs would also be modified for keeping opponents away. His Smashes would be a lot like Vanilla Brawl Snake, which require precise accuracy to land. Think of Snake's up-smash for instance. Now imagine a moveset revolving around that gaping concept.

Ray's attacks up close would likely wiff the opponent, but they can be used as anti-airs, lock downs, and with other moves he can set up combos that lead into this attack if done properly. This is just a basic concept though. I've got MANY other ideas in mind that have been steadily changing over time that would make for a more balanced character, and unique without requiring too much work on top of that.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Cool! That makes sense and sounds pretty awesome. You could probably modify Snake's Tranquilizer Gun to shoot projectiles farther and function like "normal" projectiles. I can see Ray becoming a truly unique character with a gameplay style completely different from the rest of the cast. He could become a pretty cool character. Also, I like that concept art. It resembles Snake's D-Smash, but the concept is his F-Smash, so I'm assuming you can change assigned moves. Nice! Even more possibilities. I always loved Snake's D-Smash, and that concept art makes it look even cooler, what with all the range in front of Ray, yet it still plummets straight down, almost like an ambush. I like it!

GeZ

Smash Lord
I honestly don't understand why Ray MK III isn't further along. He is basically an air-dashing Samus gone pure-spacie.... Kinda. All things of which are apparently hype in Project M. I mean have you SEEN how fast that assist trophy hauls *** and how rapid his shots are? Make him match the height of Luigi, give him a pure accuracy based range game that relies on distance for his combos, and you got yourself one of the most intriguing characters in the game. He would basically be the Mega Man of this group.
Amazing/10. Do want.

Plus if you played the game (which NO ONE has) you have this awesome appreciation for his design and general thought process behind his being made.

I'm actually one of Ray's biggest enthusiasts in this thread, and yeah I've considered all of those things. Ray's attacks could be balanced and a lot of his attack effects can be salvaged from his assist trophy, or made from existing projectile effects if need be. You see, Custom Robo is an arena fighter where your robots have nearly nothing more than traps and guns, with the exception of a few minor moves. Ray's moveset in particular would be forced around his range game and keeping away. Literally his biggest weakness would be getting too close to his opponent. And things like his grabs would also be modified for keeping opponents away. His Smashes would be a lot like Vanilla Brawl Snake, which require precise accuracy to land. Think of Snake's up-smash for instance. Now imagine a moveset revolving around that gaping concept.

Ray's attacks up close would likely wiff the opponent, but they can be used as anti-airs, lock downs, and with other moves he can set up combos that lead into this attack if done properly. This is just a basic concept though. I've got MANY other ideas in mind that have been steadily changing over time that would make for a more balanced character, and unique without requiring too much work on top of that.
Mary me solbliminal? Please desu?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Plus if you played the game (which NO ONE has) you have this awesome appreciation for his design and general thought process behind his being made.
I've actually played Custom Robo. Pretty Damn Good / 10. Story could use some work though. Needs that Sakurai touch.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Cool! That makes sense and sounds pretty awesome. You could probably modify Snake's Tranquilizer Gun to shoot projectiles farther and function like "normal" projectiles. I can see Ray becoming a truly unique character with a gameplay style completely different from the rest of the cast. He could become a pretty cool character. Also, I like that concept art. It resembles Snake's D-Smash, but the concept is his F-Smash, so I'm assuming you can change assigned moves. Nice! Even more possibilities. I always loved Snake's D-Smash, and that concept art makes it look even cooler, what with all the range in front of Ray, yet it still plummets straight down, almost like an ambush. I like it!
I'll take this as a vote for Ray then? Because I'm all about supporting this lil' guy. The Custom Robo series has been a huge underdog that has been around since the N64 (In Japan). Feel free to spread the support if you guys like, because Ray is likely never getting another chance after Project M.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'll take this as a vote for Ray then? Because I'm all about supporting this lil' guy. The Custom Robo series has been a huge underdog that has been around since the N64 (In Japan). Feel free to spread the support if you guys like, because Ray is likely never getting another chance after Project M.
Okay, this is the first time I kick in a damn vote, but me2.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
What I mainly want to know is why do the Custom Robo games have such a small following here in the States?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Dis Ray support.... It is so beautiful... Have a stock

What I mainly want to know is why do the Custom Robo games have such a small following here in the States?
Poor advertisement. Fans weren't incredibly vocal.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Only a few games in the series came out here, the Gamecube game and the DS one, if it came out on N64 in the US I think it would have had a bigger following.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
No vote quite yet. There are so many characters to consider that I'm not sure about who to cast my +1's for yet. Ray's being considered, but just give me a little bit longer before I make my decision. I'm near a good idea of who I want, so it shouldn't be too long. I really hope I don't come off sounding mean. Please understand.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Also. I've done this many times through out the duration of this thread, but this is a dump of sketch concepts I've developed for Ray MK III's moveset. These are likely to change, as my ideas have evolved a bit since their original creation.

Only a few games in the series came out here, the Gamecube game and the DS one, if it came out on n64 in the US I think it would have had a bigger following.
Based Mansta8 is super freaking based. Thank you. Yes this is one of Custom Robo's biggest issues. They never localized the 2 most popular games in the series, that being the first 2. They were said to be greater than the two we got overseas.

No vote quite yet. There are so many characters to consider that I'm not sure about who to cast my +1's for yet. Ray's being considered, but just give me a little bit longer before I make my decision. I'm near a good idea of who I want, so it shouldn't be too long. I really hope I don't come off sounding mean. Please understand.
I completely understand man. I'm just being vocal because this series has been over looked so many times. Had this game taken off properly, it would be at the calibur of Golden Sun and Advance Wars.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Sol coming in behind me and sweeping up votes when I was looking to snag more for #TakaSquad... I see you. :p

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sol coming in behind me and sweeping up votes when I was looking to snag more for #TakaSquad... I see you. :p
Broham. I was getting votes before you were even part of this thread. Take that weak sauce Takamaru support back to the SSB4 thread dawg. Owait :troll:

EDIT: Jk. Yew know I dig ya bro.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
+1-Pichu [Bros.]-Important because he is a veteran and the only Melee veteran that has not been added. Preferably as the Pichu Bros. But any form of Pichu is fine by me.

+1-Ridley-A major Metroid villain. Metroid has no representation other than Samus and needs more reps.

+1-Ray MK II-A rep from an incredibly overlooked series. Could play unlike any other character in the the series. Could have long range projectiles with an accuracy based combo system.

+1-Sami-An excellent choice for a female rep and introduces a new series. She could play fairly uniquely and could set traps. Often overlooked.

+1-Sukapon-An outstanding character from Nintendo's first fighting game. He deserves representation as the Nintendo's first fighting-game star.

+1/2-Ninten-Almost made it. He was so very close. Could quite play uniquely. In a saturated series and looks like he could work as a Ness Alt. Still a great Clone Engine character choice
+1/2-Black Shadow/Ganondorf
+1/2-Ashley-Also very nearly made it. Could work as low-poly summoner along with her friend Red. Very unique.
+1/2-Waluigi
+1/2-Toad
+1/2-Knuckles-Almost very nearly made it. Could glide and wall climb. Heavy and unique.
+1/2-Paper Mario
+1/2-King K. Rool-Close call. Could be very unique. Rather well-known DK rep.
+1/2-Shadow
+1/2-Tails
+1/2-Claus/Masked Man
+1/2-Lyn
+1/2-Takamaru-Close. But no dice. Could play uniquely due to projectiles.

It's been a long day. +1/2 to rest because I don't have the patience or energy to write them all down.

No down-votes because I don't want to hurt anyone's chances.

GeZ

Smash Lord
You know if you give one to a few characters, and a half to everyone else, the end result is just a half point to the characters you voted for. Jus' sayin.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
You know if you give one to a few characters, and a half to everyone else, the end result is just a half point to the characters you voted for. Jus' sayin.
I know I probably sound utterly stupid right now, but how would giving 1 to a few and 1/2 to everyone else result in 1/2 to everyone? I don't mean to sound cocky or arrogant, and I hope I don't, I just don't see how that could happen. I'm really sorry for the trouble.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
So to make Takamaru unique, he needs more than just "swordsman with projectiles" - how would he be different from Link? How would he differ from Isaac, if he makes it in?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
So to make Takamaru unique, he needs more than just "swordsman with projectiles" - how would he be different from Link? How would he differ from Isaac, if he makes it in?
If he's going to be a clone, then not much aside from parameters (just like every other clone). If he's made unique, then he had his katana, which should play differently than most sword users. Typically, the sword will stay sheathed (unlike most swordfighters, who carry their swords around). When he attacks, he'll pull it out for quick strikes. The way I'd imagine it, his attacks would come out very fast, but his initiation would have a significant delay (and even longer for charged smashes, obviously), allowing players to react. However, since he'll be pulling from his sheath for many of his attacks, he can turn it into any particular strike -- so while the player will have time to react to an attack, they might not be so sure which attack it'll be until the very last second.

The same style applies to Lyn.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
as much as i love mewtwo, i aknowledge the fact that he is a 7TH pokemon for the damn roster. at least he brings his own **** to the table though.

we really don't need a smaller electric rat. that will do pikachu stuff, except smaller.

but then again, the april fools vid where they showed off the double character thing with ike, and the challenger approaching thing later...

1408022566520.jpg

...we're getting the pichu bros, aren't we.

pessimistic ass mode engage.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Knuckles: I'll believe it when I see it. Knuckles is one of if not perhaps my favorite Sonic character.
Just imagine Sonic, slower (like Fox to Wolf, not Fox to Falco), with Stronger attacks, defined Tilt game, and an easier Recovery, albeit he's a bit heavier (fall wise not KB wise).

I dig it. More so than a lot of ideas on BrawlVault for Shadow..

Or however you invisioned him, i know nothing ~.~

GeZ

Smash Lord
I know I probably sound utterly stupid right now, but how would giving 1 to a few and 1/2 to everyone else result in 1/2 to everyone? I don't mean to sound cocky or arrogant, and I hope I don't, I just don't see how that could happen. I'm really sorry for the trouble.
S'fine, I'm saying your adding 1 point to a few characters, and half a point to everyone else, which really just means that the characters you gave one point are only getting ahead a half a point because everybody else rose half a point. Relativity, you dig?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Everyone is ignoring the greatness that would be Ukelele Pichu

-1 to normal Pichu, +1 to Ukelele pichu
(Lul dont count this for realz...)

Seriously though, if Pichu did make it in, I feel like the Ukelele would diversify him enough from Pika with what they could do with it.

I.e, Pichu could steal Jig's Sing, but it would be a quick and light damaging move. An off key sound could be played and the soundwaves could be modified to be sort of scratchy looking

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Can I just say... that at this point the thought of any Sonic character making it as a CE character would literally make my stomach curl in unimaginable ways...? Because it really does. And I'm a freaking Sonic enthusiast. I would rather deal with Pichu than have to deal with seeing someone like Knuckles make the cut. I see far much more potential in characters from Nintendo's repertoire, and would much rather see someone from that list.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
S'fine, I'm saying your adding 1 point to a few characters, and half a point to everyone else, which really just means that the characters you gave one point are only getting ahead a half a point because everybody else rose half a point. Relativity, you dig?
Ohhhh... I see what you did there! Because since each character is 1/2 ahead and 1/2 behind, that leaves 1/2 in between the top votes and the bottom votes. Therefore, each vote is only worth the difference (1/2) because you have to subtract the bottom votes from the top votes to get how much each one is worth! Very clever! Very clever, indeed...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Try forward hydroplane f smashing back and forth

You pretty much turn into a flying hit box moving faster than Sonic

Too bad you can't actually use it in a match :u

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Can I just say... that at this point the thought of any Sonic character making it as a CE character would literally make my stomach curl in unimaginable ways...? Because it really does. And I'm a freaking Sonic enthusiast. I would rather deal with Pichu than have to deal with seeing someone like Knuckles make the cut. I see far much more potential in characters from Nintendo's repertoire, and would much rather see someone from that list.
I'd actually be fine with it if we got a Metal Gear character as well, because we shouldn't just give Sonic special attention without giving any to MGS--provided we go out of our way to give third-parties extra characters at all.

I'm inclined to agree, though.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I'd actually be fine with it if we got a Metal Gear character as well, because we shouldn't just give Sonic special attention without giving any to MGS--provided we go out of our way to give third-parties extra characters at all.

I'm inclined to agree, though.
I would actually have my stomach curl even more from a MGS character than a Sonic character. Snake is fine, but really the whole Metal Gear series is not very Nintendo at all. Snake already is somewhat out of place in Smash Bros and is in mainly because Sakurai was like "lol, okay" to Konami wanting Snake to be in. IMO, characters like Gray Fox and Liquid Snake do not belong at all. Sonic characters at least fit in better as they're more cartoony and have had an extensive history with Nintendo, most importantly, a number of crossover games.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I would actually have my stomach curl even more from a MGS character than a Sonic character. Snake is fine, but really the whole Metal Gear series is not very Nintendo at all. Snake already is somewhat out of place in Smash Bros. IMO, characters like Gray Fox and Liquid Snake do not belong at all. Sonic characters at least fit in better as they're more cartoony and have had an extensive history with Nintendo, most importantly, a number of crossover games.
The only Sonic characters I would find to be fairly good additions are Tails and Eggman. The others would feel out of place to me, don't know why. I guess because it's so iconic seeing Sonic and Tails together and since Eggman's been there forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom