• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Today's unveil makes me even more grateful for Project M. We only received the return of our boy Roy as a result of it. Roy was revamped in a way that while he was still a clone of Marth, he was still a very clearly different character in how he played (and plus MOAR PH1R3). All of us Roy fans are now more grateful than ever to have Project M after today (since its obvious that Roy won't be returning for a game with already four playable Fire Emblem characters).

Already, we have Roy, Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur as characters that are in Project M but not Smash 4. Who knows what others there will be.

Its for this reason, I hope that Smash 4 picks up the few gems left after Smash 4. Ridley and Isaac are the two biggest glaring ones, but unfortunately, they will also both be very time consuming to make (especially Ridley).

That is one of the reasons why I support Sami as the representative for Advance Wars. Not only I think the character would be more appealing to people unfamiliar with Advance Wars, but I think there should at least be some characters that are Project M-style Roy clones among the remaining five slots, so as to ease up the work load for the Project M team (especially considering if they decide to pursue both Ridley and Isaac).

I also think we will be seeing Lyn for sure after today. Project M's Roy looks to be a more interesting Marth clone than Smash 4's Lucina (people are already debating whether or not she is an alternate costume due to how similar she seems to be to Marth). It seems only fair that after Lucina and a female Robin, that Project M will have their own female rep for Fire Emblem.

With Ridley, Isaac, Sami, Lyn, as well as the assortment of veterans likely not to return for Smash 4 (Roy, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur) we already have a roster that contrasts quite a bit from Smash 4, yet also feels like a legitimate Smash Bros. game.

I am not too sure on who the final clone engine slot should go to. For me, its a toss up between Skull Kid and Dixie Kong. Or we can just give it to Pichu if the team feels overwhelmed from just having Ridley and Isaac alone (Pichu is a clone that wouldn't need to be balanced properly since he is supposed to be bad).

Last edited:

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
I don't know how to feel about the fact that Isaac has a chance again. On the one hand, he deserves it and would be awesome. On the other hand... I want him badly in PM.
I know what you mean. I want a good competitive Issac though..

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Alright where to start. I'll go step by step.
There is no reason for you to defend yourself when you are just as much in the wrong, but okay.

True this is an opinion but it is a very accurate one to the point where I can argue that this is a fact. F.Blue's post was an attack with no reason behind it so already I don't see why I'm labelled the same as someone with no sense of logic.
It is still just an opinion. You were free to ignore his and he would have still looked just as much of an idiot if you didn't say anything at all.

This already counters what you said but to reinforced my claim I ask that you reread all my posts about this topic. I did not deny Pichu, I only stated that Pichu in his latest form (Melee) is worthless. I never implied he was "a lost cause" or not worthy of getting another chance. While once again F.Blue's post is used to deny and attack a franchise which I might add...with no reason for the attack.
Okay, but you still rag on his opinion of Pichu. That is his preference. And you're telling me it is completely justified to bash on another person's opinion because they did it to you? That is childish. It is the basis of a lose / lose argument. Period.

So I will ask once more, are you sure you read my post?
Boy, don't talk to me in a condescending tone. Just because you back your argument does not mean it was justified to respond to his outburst. It is outright childish no matter how you slice it. I don't care how many ways you explain it. Attacking a character in response to someone attacking a character is a poor basis for an argument. And if you read your own post well enough, you will see that you are still doing just that. Attacking his character preference with little regard to his own opinion. And yes. That does make you about as shallow as he is for making the statement.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
People talk **** about Fox clones in Smash, even tho there are only two true Fox clones
But now smash has 3 true Marth clones and noone's saying ****

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
People talk **** about Fox clones in Smash, even tho there are only two true Fox clones
It hasn't been determined rather or not she is a skin over Marth. Because if that is the case, she is not a clone at all.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Also, it's worth noting that the Marth clones are spread across different games and not all in the same one. I suppose it's a bit more acceptable to people that way.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Its prolly cause they all wanna bang Lucina, and because Roy's our Boy. You cant hate on him :)

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Also, it's worth noting that the Marth clones are spread across different games and not all in the same one.
Even still, noone complains about two Links, noone adamantly calls Lucas a clone, noone complains about Gano-well you got me there.
Even if you find one person who does any of these things, you'll find 3 more Spacie haters.
Grinds my gears
Slippy for PM

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
My hopes for clone engine characters are Tails or Shadow (honestly as much as I like Shadow I'm more interested in tails) from the Sonic franchise, and maybe Waluigi. I don't really care about Waluigi too much but I still think he'd be an interesting character nonetheless.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Even still, noone complains about two Links, noone adamantly calls Lucas a clone, noone complains about Gano-well you got me there.
Even if you find one person who does any of these things, you'll find 3 more Spacie haters.
Grinds my gears
Slippy for PM
Pfft. You are going somewhere with this. But in all seriousness. A reskin and a clone are two completely different things. If Lucina is indeed a clone though, I understand your point. It actually would make me very furious to be honest, because they ditch one Marth clone in favor of one that is even less different to Marth than Roy was.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It hasn't been determined rather or not she is a skin over Marth. Because if that is the case, she is not a clone at all.
Pretty sure she's her own character, they would have said if she was just a skin. Also her dolphin slash has a curved arc upwards compared to Marth's diagonal one i

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Pretty sure she's her own character, they would have said if she was just a skin. Also her dolphin slash has a curved arc upwards compared to Marth's diagonal one i
Oh? So you've played Smash 4 to be able to determine that?

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Pfft. You are going somewhere with this. But in all seriousness. A reskin and a clone are two completely different things. If Lucina is indeed a clone though, I understand your point. It actually would make me very furious to be honest, because they ditch one Marth clone in favor of one that is even less different to Marth than Roy was.
You speak the truth brother.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Doesn't matter if he has, either way. Customizable movesets, people.
My point is still relevant. It does matter. Because unless it is outright said or shown by someone who has played the game, we know nothing.

Booster

Smash Lord
Since Chrom and Shulk have both been debunked/cut, I say we should open up polls now to see how many people want them.

+1 to Chrom
+1 to Shulk

Shin F.

Smash Master
My point is still relevant. It does matter. Because unless it is outright said or shown by someone who has played the game, we know nothing.
Just sayin' - even if there are differences between their moves, it could be explained as being caused by customized moves. You're right - as of now, we know nothing except that they're very, very similar and Lucina gets a Veteran-sized block and not a Newcomer-sized block.
Since Chrom and Shulk have both been debunked/cut, I say we should open up polls now to see how many people want them.

+1 to Chrom
+1 to Shulk
No can do. Both characters were created after Brawl came out, so they're not eligible for PM.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

+1 to Chrom
+1 to Shulk
1. Shulk has not been de-confirmed.
2. Both Chrom and Shulk don't qualify for Project M since they made no appearance in that game.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The main theory is that his source had outdated information. Lucina looks to be a Marth clone, so she could easily have been created within the last few months. Robin on the otherhand, I don't know how he overlooked that.

With four playable Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4, I think it is high time that the sister series of Fire Emblem, Advance/Famicom Wars, gets one in Smash Bros., and its certainly not going to happen in Smash Bros. 4 (Sakurai has already said we are nearing the end for newcomer unveils).

Hopefully, Project M fulfills that and gives this legendary Nintendo franchise its due in Smash Bros.
Keep clinging, the leak is currently debunked. =D

Still wanting a Famiwars char for PM.

Also, while we can't tell for sure til release or Sakurai says so, Lucina's animations are all near-identical or identical to Marth's, and she didn't get the usual newcomer's 3x wide box on the site, so it's probably safe to say she's a total reskin with an identical moveset.

Not that this is an issue.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Um, I've seen both of their up specials, plus the matter that Marth's Dolphin Slash has gone diagonally upwards in every game so far helps?
Doesn't matter if he has, either way. Customizable movesets, people.
You were saying? We have no solid evidence she is anything more than a skin yet.

Why so salty?
You don't even know the meaning of salty to even try to arm yourself with that statement.

Just sayin' - even if there are differences between their moves, it could be explained as being caused by customized moves.
I'm not disagreeing with you in the slightest. If anything, what you are saying just reinforces my previous statement. We know nothing until we either get the games ourselves, or unless it is show / explained to us.

It ain't like we got some gameplay footage of Lucina earlier today.

Nope, not at all.
Yup. Because that is totally playing the game first hand. Totally. I mean it isn't like we haven't gotten a customizable character feature or anything... oh wait.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Keep clinging, the leak is currently debunked. =D

Still wanting a Famiwars char for PM.
No its not. I am waiting on an explanation on what went wrong with Chrom. The source got every character prior to being confirmed except Rosalina, Robin, and Lucina. Lucina could easily have been a last minute addition considering how much of cloney-clone she is of Marth.

I still think we are getting Shulk and Chorus Men.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Just sayin' - even if there are differences between their moves, it could be explained as being caused by customized moves.

No can do. Both characters were created after Brawl came out, so they're not eligible for PM.
They havent shown any customized moves outside of thw trailers detailing them...and I dont think they would waste and option giving the move a curved arc when all the other customized moves shown so farhave vastly different properties.

And another thing, Lucina doesn't change colors during her DED, but i'm not sure if Marth still does or not

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
There is no reason for you to defend yourself when you are just as much in the wrong, but okay.

It is still just an opinion. You were free to ignore his and he would have still looked just as much of an idiot if you didn't say anything at all.

Okay, but you still rag on his opinion of Pichu. That is his preference. And you're telling me it is completely justified to bash on another person's opinion because they did it to you? That is childish. It is the basis of a lose / lose argument. Period.

Boy, don't talk to me in a condescending tone. Just because you back your argument does not mean it was justified to respond to his outburst. It is outright childish no matter how you slice it. I don't care how many ways you explain it. Attacking a character in response to someone attacking a character is a poor basis for an argument. And if you read your own post well enough, you will see that you are still doing just that. Attacking his character preference with little regard to his own opinion. And yes. That does make you about as shallow as he is for making the statement.
Solbliminal, you have a decent head on your shoulders for the most part but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

1. I have every reason to defend myself because F.Blue attacked me which I will add for no reason (pay attention "no reason" is the entire point of this argument). If he had stated a reason I wouldn't need to have responded to him in the way that I did.

2. Why should I overlook what he said when he attacked me? Like I said in 2 other posts before I usually never have a problem with anything but when someone says something that doesn't make sense (has no logic) then I questioned it. My post was not meant to attack, if it was I would have just said, "Says the person that likes a worthless character *insert Pichu Face". Instead I added more ( a reason) because only reason can be countered with reason. If he stood his ground and gave me a satisfying reason then that would have been that. Do you see me attacking every person who +1 votes Pichu? No, because most, if not all, gave their reason that satisfied me. And lets say if I wasn't satisfied, I would question to the point where I would stop if I find the person has no sense of logic (I wouldn't call the person an idiot, I would walk away).

3. Rag is defined as to tease, joke with or nag. When have I ragged at his opinion of Pichu? Never. I did not tease, joke, or nag at him for liking Pichu, as if I would use Pichu to insult someone. If I insulted anything it would be his taste in character balance (wanting an exact form of a terrible character to fight against characters which the PMBR constantly balances and improves. Tell me if that makes any sense to you). I'm surprised that people are even for Pichu being **** tier in Project M.

4. How do you know my tone? I never meant to even sound remotely condescending. You replied to my question of asking if you read my post with only 2 sentences signifying that you didn't read my post properly because your reply was flimsy confirmation for your flimsy statement before. How do you expect me to act as if you read anything if you left no reasoning to prove that you did? I guess that makes you condescending, calling another childish, I bet that makes you feel so much better about yourself.

Fact of the matter is you assume too much. After reading my post to F.Blue you assumed I was attacking him and that has been your motivation for this farce. Your problem is you don't look at both sides of the coin which is why I will continue to have something to say because you have a one tracked mind. Your whole point is based on the assumption that I was attacking F.Blue, now I ask that you think about if I wasn't trying to attack F.Blue. What do you see?

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I like Fire Emblem as much as the next guy, but you gotta admit it's being over-repped in Smash 4.

This is one area that PM should not draw inspiration from Nintendo.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You were saying? We have no solid evidence she is anything more than a skin yet.

You don't even know the meaning of salty to even try to arm yourself with that statement.

I'm not disagreeing with you in the slightest. If anything, what you are saying just reinforces my previous statement. We know nothing until we either get the games ourselves, or unless it is show / explained to us.

Yup. Because that is totally playing the game first hand. Totally. I mean it isn't like we haven't gotten a customizable character feature or anything... oh wait.
Okay really, it just seems like you're trying to defend something that has substantial evidence against it. MWFT trainer doesnt have its own character page on the site while Lucina does. MWFT trainer didnt get a join picture, Lucina did.

Also don't tell me I dont know what being salty is and saying i'm trying to arm myself with it. Salty is being angry and your posts are coming off as pretty angry for no reason than your argument has several things against it.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Okay really, it just seems like you're trying to defend something that has substantial evidence against it. MWFT trainer doesnt have its own character page on the site while Lucina does. MWFT trainer didnt get a join picture, Lucina did.
Lucina is also special in that she's the only Alt (if she is one) that would change who the character is.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
I like Fire Emblem as much as the next guy, but you gotta admit it's being over-repped in Smash 4.

This is one area that PM should not draw inspiration from Nintendo.
How is 4 characters in one franchise overrepped? 4 characters in one franchise is pretty much the baseline between overrepresentation and underrepresentation in Smash

Lucina is also special in that she's the only Alt (if she is one) that would change who the character is.

If that's true that doesn't make her an alt. That's like saying Zelda and Shiek before Sm4sh were alts

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
How easily those of a little faith lose hope.

Has everyone forgotten that there WILL be unlockable characters? Everytime we swear that that's it for new character reveals here comes sakurai riding down hype lane with his bag full of goodies. I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest Fire Emblem afficionado but what this reveal did do for me is confirm that the cast this time around will not only be diverse but absolutely massive. The number of confirmed characters already surpasses melee's character count and is steadily reaching brawl's. I'm sure there are at least 7-10 secret characters already done.

Consider sakurai's decision to include both shiek and zss as seperate characters. The man obviously wants to bring back every character from brawl even if he has to modify them slightly. When i took drawing classes a looooong time ago my professor always told me "don't erase. fix what's there then move on". I think sakurai has a similar mindset. For those hoping for an advance wars character, i don't think he's forgotten you. He could easily kill two birds with one stone by releasing an advance wars character that played just like snake from brawl/pm then releasing another with a completely new moveset. Sami and Andy would fit the bill and then there wouldn't be any bickering over which he should add. For those hoping for Ridley, even if he isn't a regular playable character the potential is still there to add a playable bosses mode. Mewtwo? He's one of the most important pokemon ever. I doubt he'll leave him in the dust. Roy might get added just because pm has picked up enough steam and made a large enough impact on the smash community.

Even if I'm totally wrong about his character choice, you still have to appreciate that the man is listening to the community and trying to create a fun game for everyone with a diverse cast of characters. The invitational showed this and the amount of work that went into that trailer is incredible. I commend the team for the very impressive visuals and the very likable art style they presented during the reveal.

The only worry i have about smash 4 at this point is not having enough money to buy it day 1.
/rant
Anyway Back on topic.

I still really want to see a smash rep specifically but lyn for pm is looking better than ever right now.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Solbliminal, you have a decent head on your shoulders for the most part but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

1. I have every reason to defend myself because F.Blue attacked me which I will add for no reason (pay attention "no reason" is the entire point of this argument). If he had stated a reason I wouldn't need to have responded to him in the way that I did.

2. Why should I overlook what he said when he attacked me? Like I said in 2 other posts before I usually never have a problem with anything but when someone says something that doesn't make sense (has no logic) then I questioned it. My post was not meant to attack, if it was I would have just said, "Says the person that likes a worthless character *insert Pichu Face". Instead I added more ( a reason) because only reason can be countered with reason. If he stood his ground and gave me a satisfying reason then that would have been that. Do you see me attacking every person who +1 votes Pichu? No, because most, if not all, gave their reason that satisfied me. And lets say if I wasn't satisfied, I would question to the point where I would stop if I find the person has no sense of logic (I wouldn't call the person an idiot, I would walk away).

3. Rag is defined as to tease, joke with or nag. When have I ragged at his opinion of Pichu? Never. I did not tease, joke, or nag at him for liking Pichu, as if I would use Pichu to insult someone. If I insulted anything it would be his taste in character balance (wanting an exact form of a terrible character to fight against characters which the PMBR constantly balances and improves. Tell me if that makes any sense to you). I'm surprised that people are even for Pichu being **** tier in Project M.

4. How do you know my tone? I never meant to even sound remotely condescending. You replied to my question of asking if you read my post with only 2 sentences signifying that you didn't read my post properly because your reply was flimsy confirmation for your flimsy statement before. How do you expect me to act as if you read anything if you left no reasoning to prove that you did? I guess that makes you condescending, calling another childish, I bet that makes you feel so much better about yourself.

Fact of the matter is you assume too much. After reading my post to F.Blue you assumed I was attacking him and that has been your motivation for this farce. Your problem is you don't look at both sides of the coin which is why I will continue to have something to say because you have a one tracked mind. Your whole point is based on the assumption that I was attacking F.Blue, now I ask that you think about if I wasn't trying to attack F.Blue. What do you see?
All I see is a river of blue, insecure text that is trying to defend itself and speak as if it is of greater intellect. All I'm saying is that attacking another post just because someone else did is childish. I'm not going to waste my time reading a wall of defensive text that tries to tell me otherwise, because I understood the original statement well enough to understand an argument was taking place. What makes no sense is why you tried to respond by attacking.

And to be completely honest with you, I'm not in the mood to argue with you or the lot of people who want to keep taking jabs at me. I've got enough to deal with. I don't need people stacking my plate full with pointless debuts. My goal was to stop you from progressing into the realm of a stupid argument, which you proceeded to allow yourself to fall in.

When custom moves are shown off, THEY ARE LISTED AS SUCH. Can you name one example where they aren't?
Can you show me evidence of when Sakurai said he would preview character trailers that way?

Booster

Smash Lord
How is 4 characters in one franchise overrepped? 4 characters in one franchise is pretty much the baseline between overrepresentation and underrepresentation in Smash

If that's true that doesn't make her an alt. That's like saying Zelda and Shiek before Sm4sh were alts
If anything the Mario series is over repped, it's out of control. I had to come back to say this, now back to homebrew

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Can you show me evidence of when Sakurai said he would preview character trailers that way?
Can you answer my question first? When are they not listed as such? I remember when custom moves were shown off in the april direct, during E3, in Palutena's trailer, and the POTD with Donkey Kong and his tornado punch and they were listed as such.

If anything the Mario series is over repped, it's out of control. I had to come back to say this, now back to homebrew
Kill them before they multiply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom