• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malion

Smash Ace
Well I was specifying Goobella for a reason. What with her head bonk ability. Or her Rally Wink (which could be used as a stat modifier. Her helmet light could be used to stun enemies. And she could use tattle as a counter move... identifying projectiles and sending them back at opponents.

Anything is possible with a little imagination I suppose. lol

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
Well I was specifying Goobella for a reason. What with her head bonk ability. Or her Rally Wink (which could be used as a stat modifier. Her helmet light could be used to stun enemies. And she could use tattle as a counter move... identifying projectiles and sending them back at opponents.

Anything is possible with a little imagination I suppose. lol
True..So that means is possible so that means Primid is possible

Malion

Smash Ace
True..So that means is possible so that means Primid is possible
True I wasn't arguing possibility so much as preference really. Which I can understand is debatable. I just feel like the Primid in question would have to have some sort of defining characteristic to set him apart from the other standard enemies. Perhaps I was being a little silly suggesting he wear a tie but it was just an idea. lol

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
True I wasn't arguing possibility so much as preference really. Which I can understand is debatable. I just feel like the Primid in question would have to have some sort of defining characteristic to set him apart from the other standard enemies. Perhaps I was being a little silly suggesting he wear a tie but it was just an idea. lol
Lol maybe a cape

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Just an informative update about how things are going with Fire Emblem here. I'm actually getting into it the more I play. I could easily see myself picking up other installments if I run by them. Even if Shadow Dragon isn't exactly the best game I've played, I'm sure the others feel much better. And from the vibe I'm getting here, those popular installments must be really good.

Like I said. I'm not a harsh critic. I just wanted to know the vibe of this series. And so far it is very promising. I've ran into a lot of characters I enjoyed, then felt crushed when they got ganged up on or crit slain. I look forward to getting my hands on Shinmegami Tensei X Fire Emblem when it comes out.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Just an informative update about how things are going with Fire Emblem here. I'm actually getting into it the more I play. I could easily see myself picking up other installments if I run by them. Even if Shadow Dragon isn't exactly the best game I've played, I'm sure the others feel much better. And from the vibe I'm getting here, those popular installments must be really good.

Like I said. I'm not a harsh critic. I just wanted to know the vibe of this series. And so far it is very promising. I've ran into a lot of characters I enjoyed, then felt crushed when they got ganged up on or crit slain. I look forward to getting my hands on Shinmegami Tensei X Fire Emblem when it comes out.
Fire Emblem (the first installment in the west), and Path of Radiance are among my favorites.

Additionally, if you have a GBA Emulator download an English patched version of FE: Binding Blade. It's hands down my favorite one, and it's also the origin of Roy.

The series is great, and I'd love to see it be move back to console setting, while the portable games are great, the system limitations do the immense world full of great characters absolutely no favors.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Fire Emblem (the first installment in the west), and Path of Radiance are among my favorites.

Additionally, if you have a GBA Emulator download an English patched version of FE: Binding Blade. It's hands down my favorite one, and it's also the origin of Roy.
I always hear Roy is the weakest of the lords... but honestly one thing I don't care about is weakness. If anything, that pushes me to make the weakest character my strongest solider.

The series is great, and I'd love to see it be move back to console setting, while the portable games are great, the system limitations do the immense world full of great characters absolutely no favors.
The same could be said about just about any good handheld game really.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I always hear Roy is the weakest of the lords... but honestly one thing I don't care about is weakness. If anything, that pushes me to make the weakest character my strongest solider.
Roy being weak can be overcome by overleveling him compared to others, but his late promotion and whatnot would basically result in you short-changing the rest of your army. Calling him the weakest might be an exaggeration, but not much of one.

Of course, it's largely up to the RNG. I've had people tell me Chrom was weak in Awakening. I had to make sure they were being serious.

But yeah. Shadow Dragon gets a pretty harsh rap, but I think that's largely because it had a lot to live up to. I enjoyed it enough to replay it a time or two, just not like 7 (about thirty-odd replays and own three carts due to old ones breaking), and Radiant Dawn.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been confirmed, but is it possible to make two clones of the same slot? Like can they clone Lyn off of Marth, when we already have Roy?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I don't know if this has been confirmed, but is it possible to make two clones of the same slot? Like can they clone Lyn off of Marth, when we already have Roy?
I don't see why not.
They are "cloning" characters.

Either way, I wouldn't want Lyn based on Marth.
That means no Bow shenanigans :(

Exodo

Smash Ace
Roy being weak can be overcome by overleveling him compared to others, but his late promotion and whatnot would basically result in you short-changing the rest of your army. Calling him the weakest might be an exaggeration, but not much of one.

Of course, it's largely up to the RNG. I've had people tell me Chrom was weak in Awakening. I had to make sure they were being serious.

But yeah. Shadow Dragon gets a pretty harsh rap, but I think that's largely because it had a lot to live up to. I enjoyed it enough to replay it a time or two, just not like 7 (about thirty-odd replays and own three carts due to old ones breaking), and Radiant Dawn.
Roy is not weak.... roy is da besttttt!!!
Edit: derp doble post my bad :ohwell:

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Can someone here explain to me why an alternate costume can't, for instance, have a cape (if they don't already have one)? I just need a strait answer.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Can someone here explain to me why an alternate costume can't, for instance, have a cape (if they don't already have one)? I just need a strait answer.
I just answered.

In the Alt Costume Thread.

That's where we discuss Alt Costumes.

That's where you should ask about Alt Costumes.

I understand that that thread and this one overlap frequently, but if it isn't about a Clone Engine Candidate, or especially if it's about the Alt Costume Engine's restrictions, then please keep it out of this thread.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nice job, you got the joke.

he wasn't talking about PM Roy, he was talking about Roy in the Fire Emblem setting, rather than Smash
That I was. Roy in Smash is great. Similar enough to Marth for me to re-transition (even though I mained Roy at one point in Melee), but with a distinct feel, especially after being partially de-cloned.

In other news, and clearly I haven't skimmed the numerous hundreds of posts, but has Impa been considered as a clone-in for Shiek? Or is she not given a sticker/trophy?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
That I was. Roy in Smash is great. Similar enough to Marth for me to re-transition (even though I mained Roy at one point in Melee), but with a distinct feel, especially after being partially de-cloned.

In other news, and clearly I haven't skimmed the numerous hundreds of posts, but has Impa been considered as a clone-in for Shiek? Or is she not given a sticker/trophy?
I think the consensus was that everyone thought she would be too simular to Shiek or something and moved on.

They prolly wanted Blackendorf more

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
I don't post in this thread often, but how come there isn't a character in Project M who plays like Minus Bowser(3.5)? I like Grapplers in other games, and Bowser feels pretty good in minus. I could see that type of character working well in Project M, but with a few moveset changes, like making Utilt into a 45° angle anti air grab move that can only hit airborne oppenents, so no silly platform shenanigans with it. I have more suggestions but I'm currently trying to think of a Nintendo character aside from Bowser that would make sense doing these types of things.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I don't post in this thread often, but how come there isn't a character in Project M who plays like Minus Bowser(3.5)? I like Grapplers in other games, and Bowser feels pretty good in minus. I could see that type of character working well in Project M, but with a few moveset changes, like making Utilt into a 45° angle anti air grab move that can only hit airborne oppenents, so no silly platform shenanigans with it. I have more suggestions but I'm currently trying to think of a Nintendo character aside from Bowser that would make sense doing these types of things.
Well PM Bowser, DK and Ganondorf pretty much qualify as grapplers.
I guess more could be cool.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Well PM Bowser, DK and Ganondorf pretty much qualify as grapplers.
I guess more could be cool.
I always wanted a grapple based character. But I would say they more qualify as having some grapple moves. Cant think of anyone but pokemon that eould make a good grapple based character though atm

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I always wanted a grapple based character. But I would say they more qualify as having some grapple moves. Cant think of anyone but pokemon that eould make a good grapple based character though atm
Cargo Throw is like 85% of DK's game.
Bowser can hardly combo without Koopa Claw.
Ganondorf has a chain grab on pretty much everyone, and Flame Choke is a great tech chase option.
I'd call those grapplers.

I can't really see many of our options being grapplers, without having the concept being forced on them.
I could see Ridley having a sick air-grab.
I dunno a lot about K.Rool, but he could be the type.
I could see Krystal having some command grab cheese with her staff.
That's all I can think of though.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Primid is very meh, IMO. A better suited and much more badass character would be this guy:

image.jpg

As a throwback to the original smash, the Fighting Polygon is the Ultimate smash rep. It also has a connection to Master Hand (potential Final Smash?) and would look awesome with a purple liquidy texture effect. (It even has cool little elf ears!) Declare your allegiance to the almighty Polygon!

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Primid is very meh, IMO. A better suited and much more badass character would be this guy:

View attachment 18060

As a throwback to the original smash, the Fighting Polygon is the Ultimate smash rep. It also has a connection to Master Hand (potential Final Smash?) and would look awesome with a purple liquidy texture effect. (It even has cool little elf ears!) Declare your allegiance to the almighty Polygon!
No can do. None of the meleers will accept it.

You're gonna have to go fightjng wire frames or bust...

Cargo Throw is like 85% of DK's game.
Bowser can hardly combo without Koopa Claw.
Ganondorf has a chain grab on pretty much everyone, and Flame Choke is a great tech chase option.
I'd call those grapplers.

I can't really see many of our options being grapplers, without having the concept being forced on them.
I could see Ridley having a sick air-grab.
I dunno a lot about K.Rool, but he could be the type.
I could see Krystal having some command grab cheese with her staff.
That's all I can think of though.
They have one move that's a command grab, that's hardly a grappler. And since almost every character has a chain grab on someone, I dont see that really adding to it.

When I think of a grappling character, the majority of their attacks are grabs, not one or two. A good example would probably be that Abel guy from SF4 (At least I think he's a grappler.)
Just because Ganon/Bowser have "a" command grab that is central to their play doesnt mean they are grapplers.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
When I think of a grappling character, the majority of their attacks are grabs, not one or two.
Well, I can tell you a character like that won't work in Smash.
It's not like other fighters where you only have one or two options to get away from command grabs.
You have like 18 options to get out of a grab situation in Smash.

A character like that will suck, will be boring to fight, and will be boring to watch.

DK is the closest you gon' get.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Also, remember that giving characters more command grabs isn't currently possible. They're just like true projectiles in that regard.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

View attachment 18060

It's a very original idea, I actually kind of like it. It could have an awesome art style.

Don't pay attention to what that other kid was saying. As someone whose main Smash game was Melee for a long time, having this guy but not wireframes is a-okay.

That was a silly assumption.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's a very original idea, I actually kind of like it. It could have an awesome art style.

Don't pay attention to what that other kid was saying. As someone whose main Smash game was Melee for a long time, having this guy but not wireframes is a-okay.

That was a silly assumption.
It was a joke about how many people have that melee or bust idea

But i guess it didn't get through.
I dont appreciate being called a kid for that though... ;-;

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
There is something I've felt I need to say about things as of recent, so:

Hey guys, I just wanted to post an apology if I've been acting strangely to you all here as of recent. Those of you who know of what happened to me recently should already know why. I can't really say it is an excuse I am proud of, but I've just had a hard time keeping my head clear enough to make reasonable conversation. I end up saying odd or stupid things without realization, or get unnecessarily defensive about certain topics. Normally I'm a very sensitive person. But a lot of my sensitivity as of recent has begun to harden a bit, and I don't like that. So as stated before, I'm sorry. I'm trying my best to offer decent conversation to this thread without being extremely harsh in the process. It is going to take me some time to shake this off. I hope you all understand.

Also pretty sure that Minus did something to Bowser's koopa claw thing

Not sure though
Bowser has always had a command grab in Vanilla Brawl. You can modify existing commands if the character has them, but you can't give a character something that doesn't exist on said character. That being said, you can only modify Bowser's existing command grab to do something else. You can't give him another command grab. I do believe this also means that you can remove the grab from a command grab at the very least though.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
There is something I've felt I need to say about things as of recent, so:

Hey guys, I just wanted to post an apology if I've been acting strangely to you all here as of recent. Those of you who know of what happened to me recently should already know why. I can't really say it is an excuse I am proud of, but I've just had a hard time keeping my head clear enough to make reasonable conversation. I end up saying odd or stupid things without realization, or get unnecessarily defensive about certain topics. Normally I'm a very sensitive person. But a lot of my sensitivity as of recent has begun to harden a bit, and I don't like that. So as stated before, I'm sorry. I'm trying my best to offer decent conversation to this thread without being extremely harsh in the process. It is going to take me some time to shake this off. I hope you all understand.

Bowser has always had a command grab in Vanilla Brawl. You can modify existing commands if the character has them, but you can't give a character something that doesn't exist on said character. That being said, you can only modify Bowser's existing command grab to do something else. You can't give him another command grab. I do believe this also means that you can remove the grab from a command grab at the very least though.
Don't you worry one bit Sol. You haven't been acting strangely, and I even think it's out of place to bring it up like that. You've been through something big that I can't fully understand, but I can see why it could make you feel the way you do. Nonetheless, you're a-ok in my book.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Yes, but they changed it so that he goes into a special grab animation or something on the ground, which gives him different throws from normal...

What if you could throw flame choked people upwards...imagine the shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom