• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
There is likely already to be Isaac who is going to mix sword attacks in his with magic/psychic attacks.
So that makes two of them. Add in the vastly different physics that I think we could expect them to have, and you still have two unique characters. Generalized movesets aren't everything when it comes to unique playstyles.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He said "seemed positive," not "voted for."
OK.

Anyway to change the topic.

I have brought up Isaac and Sami as possible choices. However, I am curious about several limitations in regards to the Clone Engine in regards to adding in reps for entirely new series.

Namely:
1. What should there series symbol be (I think for Isaac it should be the Golden Sun, while for Advance Wars it should be a silhouette of a tank).
2. How feasible is it to create a new series icon?
3. Can we create new victory jingles (since these are new series)?
4. Will new series characters need stages made for them (the example of Marth/Roy from Melee makes me think they can go without one)?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, the more I think that the Masked Man's identity wasn't meant to be hard to figure out, at least from the perspective of the older audience. I'll try to explain what I mean:
Much of the Mother series, in my interpretation, is designed to look very different to children than to adults. Certain parts are supposed to feel confusing to a younger audience, yet there is a lot of childhood nostalgia worked in, seemingly to remind the adults that they were kids once. Mother 3 seems to have a common theme of childlike vs. adult perspective throughout.
Relevant example: Flint, the primary adult figure in Lucas's life, is the first person to actually tell you who the Masked Man is. Its easy for him to see, without a doubt, the reality of the situation.
There are a lot of hints dropped about The Masked Man/Claus; to a child they would probably at least form suspicions, but the older audience is going to easily connect the dots. At this point, I get the feeling that Itoi is trying to get the player to ask "why" and "how," not "who." Why does Lucas have to fight his brother, and how did two brothers get torn away from each other to become enemies? Knowing who the Masked Man is does not make this situation any less amazing, enjoyable, or deep.
Hopefully this doesn't come across as overly self-interpretative or off-topic, I just felt that calling out Masked Man as a spoiler is sort of overlooking how the game itself portrays his identity. Claus is mysterious, but not a secret (to everybody). I would be okay with spoiler-free, but I'd ultimately prefer a more honest depiction.

Also, not having an unmasked alt costume for the sake of spoilers would sort of irk me.
Also also, my first +1 vote to Claus/Masked Man.

I guess you make a good argument. Dammit it all makes sense.

I still think that he shouldn't be referred to as anything other than Masked Man so fans of him can learn his real identity themselves, instead of having his name right there. That also means his helmet is always on.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I guess you make a good argument. Dammit it all makes sense.

I still think that he shouldn't be referred to as anything other than Masked Man so fans of him can learn his real identity themselves, instead of having his name right there. That also means his helmet is always on.
I agree with this. He's better known as Masked Man and his helmet kinda makes the costume.

splat

Smash Lord
There is likely already to be Isaac who is going to mix sword attacks in his with magic/psychic attacks.
I don't want to question your authority on the matter (you're more or less the master in Smash discussions), but where did you get this from? Gut feeling? Or is Isaac smashing the competition in terms of votes?

Don't be a Debby Downer
No need for that, man, discussion is something different then calling names.

I have brought up Isaac and Sami as possible choices. However, I am curious about several limitations in regards to the Clone Engine in regards to adding in reps for entirely new series.

Namely:
1. What should there series symbol be (I think for Isaac it should be the Golden Sun, while for Advance Wars it should be a silhouette of a tank).
4. Will new series characters need stages made for them (the example of Marth/Roy from Melee makes me think they can go without one)?
1/2. I too wonder if the PMBR is even capable of adding series symbols. They probably can though, they're brilliant.
For Isaac, it should be the Golden Sun, anything else would just be silly. A lighthouse could work, but why not use the namesake?
For Sami, I'd prefer her to represent the entire Wars series - I think the wheel/star thing would work pretty well:

If you'd go with Advance Wars by itself, I think a wrench would be best.

3. Probably, yes. We know that the PMBR can inject sounds (as shown with Dr. Mario) - and we know they have great composers who compose music for the videos they put out there.
4. Please so, yes. I've always felt like stages have been getting the back seat in Smash for too long (so much that I started working on them myself). I'm hoping that the PMBR will put out some stage expansion so that every character can get a "home-stage".

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't want to question your authority on the matter (you're more or less the master in Smash discussions), but where did you get this from? Gut feeling? Or is Isaac smashing the competition in terms of votes?

I would not say that I am "THE master", but I am definitely the "fossil" as far as Smash Bros. speculation goes. :laugh:

For Isaac, yeah, he is stomping everyone else in terms of votes, with the only other character touching him being Ridley. Although Ridley is a very highly requested character, I am not optimistic on him getting into Project M. I think his requests would need to shoot even higher than they are now.

Also, really good answer.

The only problem I have with stages is that I don't want to see any of the stages that are in Project M right now get replaced (aside from the new stages they added in).

As it stands, the mix of Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl stages they have in Project M is an extremely superb combo. I am extremely happy they brought in the Metal Cavern (I always wanted to play on this), as well as bringing back Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, and Four Side.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Although that mod is fantastic you have to remember that waluigi is one the most stupid, pointless, and worthless characters ever made in a mario game. A clone of wario to be a rival of the main characters brother, its really dumb if you think about it. And then there's the fact that there are already a lot of mario characters in the game. And in a mario all-star game waluigi would be fine, but this is a nintendo all-star game and waluigi in no way fits the bill. He doesnt represent anything special

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For Sami, I'd prefer her to represent the entire Wars series - I think the wheel/star thing would work pretty well:

If you'd go with Advance Wars by itself, I think a wrench would be best.

Going to comment on this thing specifically.

I think the star wheel is from Battalion Wars right? I don't think it has been used as a symbol in any Advance Wars title. However, it may be a good choice nevertheless since the nation Sami hails from is called Orange Star.

Still I think:
1. Tank silhouette.
2. Star Wheel
3. Wrench

are all good possible choices for possible symbols for this the Advance Wars series.

splat

Smash Lord
I would not say that I am "THE master", but I am definitely the "fossil" as far as Smash Bros. speculation goes. :laugh:

For Isaac, yeah, he is stomping everyone else in terms of votes, with the only other character touching him being Ridley. Although Ridley is a very highly requested character, I am not optimistic on him getting into Project M. I think his requests would need to shoot even higher than they are now.

Also, really good answer.

The only problem I have with stages is that I don't want to see any of the stages that are in Project M right now get replaced (aside from the new stages they added in).

As it stands, the mix of Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl stages they have in Project M is an extremely superb combo. I am extremely happy they brought in the Metal Cavern (I always wanted to play on this), as well as bringing back Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, and Four Side.
Yeah, I still remember you from the pre-Brawl days and how well-read you seemed on, well, everything Smash related.

It was to be expected that Isaac would do well. People have been expecting him since the announcement of Brawl as far as I'm aware - mentioning him as the 'next' release since the first trailer.

While the current selection of stages is really nice - I agree, bringing back Metal Cavern was splendid - there's a couple of stage I would personally want to go - every stage with walk-off edges, more or less: Mario Circuit, Onett (which I love aesthetically, but from a gameplay POV it's just not my stage), Flat Zone and Shadow Moses Island.
I'd like to see Delfino and Castle Siege changed in such a way that there'd be no walk-off transformations, either. CS frozen on 1 or 3 would both be fine to me.

But as I said, I'm hoping they'll find a way to add stages without the clunkyness of most of the current expansion sets. As said, I hope every character can get a home-stage, which is not possible even with the current list of characters (41 characters, 41 stages - with some being character-neutral, like FD).

I'd say Isaac should get the Venus Lighthouse - it's the most recognizable GS location, I think?
Sami is a bit harder for that matter - most of the game takes place on flat battlezones. Perhaps something inspired by the final mission, like this (excuse the cruddy paint artwork):

It's supposed to be one of the many bridges in the game - with some sort of city in the background. But instead of fighting along the length of the bridge like with Eldin, you'd be fighting the short side of it - so you'd be able to fall off at both sides of it. Drawing is lacking platforms, as I'm terrible at competitive stage layouts.

Going to comment on this thing specifically.

I think the star wheel is from Battalion Wars right? I don't think it has been used as a symbol in any Advance Wars title. However, it may be a good choice nevertheless since the nation Sami hails from is called Orange Star.

Still I think:
1. Tank silhouette.
2. Star Wheel
3. Wrench

are all good possible choices for possible symbols for this the Advance Wars series.
Yep - though I believe the Famicom Wars games were associated with stars as well.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman

Namely:
Alright, let's talk Isaac. Let's assume this is all possible, which I'm sure it is, what would Isaac representation look like?

1) Series Symbol: (from this topic http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...ogo-icon-database-and-requests-thread.326025/)

3) Golden Sun Victory Fanfare for the jingle.

4) Series stage would very likely be the Venus Lighthouse.

What do you guys think?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, I still remember you from the pre-Brawl days and how well-read you seemed on, well, everything Smash related.

It was to be expected that Isaac would do well. People have been expecting him since the announcement of Brawl as far as I'm aware - mentioning him as the 'next' release since the first trailer.
I actually have been around since the pre-Melee days. :laugh: Though that was on GameFAQs. I migrated over to SmashBoards during pre-Brawl because GameFAQs was (and still is) becoming increasingly stupid, fanboyism, and insufferable in general.

As for Isaac, I think other reasons for why he is doing so well is because:
1. Pessimism regarding his chances for Smash 4 (thinking he is going to be outprioritized by Shulk)
2. Being an Assist Trophy in Brawl (many people who voted think this is an edge to be considered).

Overall, I definitely think Isaac is among the best characters they could choose, and is perhaps the best low hanging fruit.

As to the "poll". I don't think it will influence the team as much as people think. I do think they probably had a "pool" of possible characters that they were looking at, and that a lot of the Assist Trophy characters were on it. That Isaac, Lyn, and Dixie Kong are doing well does not mean they will get in because they are doing well, but rather, they probably already had those characters considered, and ultimately decide to go with them out of the pool since they seem to be the most popular and would be the most well-received.

For example, I don't think Ridley is/was a character they are considering (likely due to a combination of being more time consuming than other choices as well as the expectation that many have that he will be playable in Smash 4, though personally I think that is really iffy) despite his very strong poll performance.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I found a couple choices among SSBB stickers that I haven't seen brought up within this thread and I believe the past thread as well that I'm quite interested in and so I've included them among my half votes. One especially since I believe she used to have a pretty decent following for SSBB.

Micaiah:

She has got to be my favorite choice for a new pure magic user within Smash (Lets please not bring up the Mary Sue subject. Ike is far more a Gary Stu than she is a Mary Sue, end of subject). She has access to both light magic, staffs, and dark magic thanks to Awakening. She also has a neat ability in Sacrifice that heals units while dealing damage to herself. I could see her becoming an extremely useful partner in team battles if they decided to incorporate this somehow into her moveset.

She would have to remain true to her RD roots, meaning speed and durability would not be her strong suite. Translating this into Smash terms, she'd most likely have a slow movement speed while also being light weight. Those two attributes combined usually spells out failure for a character though, so to offset this, she would need to have a high damage output, great OoS options, and a distance game that's more combo oriented than purely spacing oriented.

This already spells out a completely different character than our one and only pure magic user Zelda. Zelda's excellent ability in controlling space in tangent with WL out of Teleport provides her with a ton of movement options and a more up close play style once she has set up her fireballs. Micaiah would not have these options and instead would have to play around connecting with distant light bursts and chaining them into damaging combos while staying out of harms way unless she wishes to die and die fast.

So far our only glass cannons of Smash need to get up close and personal to get KOs. I'd love to see how the PMBR could handle a distance glass cannon through and through.

The other character that's much more out there but I think would be a blast would be none other than:

Kamek

I can't help but love this spectacled, magical, "I'm on a broomstick b****" magikoopa. His first appearance in Yoshi's Island quickly cemented him as a hilarious yet occasionally annoying baddy, which is everything you'd ever want from Bowser's top dawg.

It's extremely easy to envision this guys moveset. UpB would similar to MKs shuttle loop, SideB would be Magic Blast, Neutral could be a charge like Lucas. He's got so many games to pull ideas from that they shouldn't have a problem filling them out.

The only bad thing about him is he's not nearly as important as the rest of the Mario cast, but I'd have to admit a Yoshi vs Kamek grudge match would be a site to see.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Despite some cool character possibilities, the Mario series feels done and done when it comes to reps at this point. The argument has been made that Diddy Kong, Wario, Donkey Kong, and the like represent completely different series, and in technical terms, this is true. However, they all are associated deeply with Mario's series to the point of a different franchise logo not changing anything. This is wear Micaiah, Andy, and the like have the edge. They further push the image that Nintendo is not JUST Mario, and many other franchises and genres have yet to receive full representation.
But you knew that already. Now that I've spilled my spiel.......
LET THE MICAIAH VOTES FLOW UPON THY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!
(HECTOR COULD WORK TOO!!!!!!!)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In regards to the above post, there is a reason why I said I think it would be for the best for two of the five slots to be series without a playable character in Project M. It exposes much more people to a wider world of Nintendo, and universes that many people have not seen before.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Calling Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong Mario characters................I don't even know what to say to that.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Previous vote reasons and details
I would like to revise my previous votes (if I may), considering some very recent upbringings.
Click da arrow ting' or just go to my first post to see my reasons behind them.

UpVotes:
  1. Isaac
  2. Lyn
  3. Ridley
  4. Tom Nook
  5. MASKED MAN!!! :

I want it..........I want it......I....I.....I want it............
I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, there is SOOO much versatility to be had with a character like this. He is EXTREMELY doable in terms of a moveset. As I've said in an earlier post though, there is the issue that he isn't a very popular pick (outside of this thread at least) and some people would rather see another Mother rep. Personally, I think Masked man just offers so much more than anyone else. The idea of his possible moveset makes me super hype.

1/2Votes:
Sukapon: Aw shucks. Masked Man takes priority over a Dhalsim-like character for me. Sorry Sukapon.
Waluigi
Krystal
Paper Mario
Andy
Dixie Kong and King K. Rool: TOTALLY forgot about them in my previous post. I think the DK series could use some love.
Palutena/Kid Icarus character: ^ see that
Indifferent and Down votes: Unchanged
Sorry I'm a bit off topic, but I haven't been able to post until now.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
In regards to the above post, there is a reason why I said I think it would be for the best for two of the five slots to be series without a playable character in Project M. It exposes much more people to a wider world of Nintendo, and universes that many people have not seen before.
I agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately, I believe Isaac is the only character that has a chance of making it in that is from a series unrepresented. Sami or Saki would be amazing, but the amount of work that would go into creating Saki is ridiculous and I just don't see Sami having enough support for the PMBR to consider making her into a character. She seems to be doing well within this thread but I doubt that it will have much effect upon their decisions.

Calling Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong Mario characters................I don't even know what to say to that.
I feel the same way, but Nintendo has been mixing the two series quite often recently. Although DKR and Tropical Freeze seem to be trying to remedy that. Hopefully Tropical Freeze does well, I'm excited that David Wise is returning as the composer (although I really enjoyed Eveline Fischers more ambient/environmental approach).

Pertaining to Donkey Kong, would Funky Kong be considered as an alternate costume since they have the same body structure or would he have to be a Clone? For some reason I can't seem to justify either since they are so damn similar, but are different characters, but they're just big giant gorillas.

Oh who cares, you can't deny that DK mains everywhere would immediately convert.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Pertaining to Donkey Kong, would Funky Kong be considered as an alternate costume since they have the same body structure or would he have to be a Clone? For some reason I can't seem to justify either since they are so damn similar, but are different characters, but they're just big giant gorillas.

Oh who cares, you can't deny that DK mains everywhere would immediately convert.

I believe that if DK wears Funky's clothes, it's a suitable Alt. However, Clone Engine Funky is..........mmmmm......

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just don't see Sami having enough support for the PMBR to consider making her into a character. She seems to be doing well within this thread but I doubt that it will have much effect upon their decisions.
I actually wrote a detailed essay on this exact topic. Its a very long read, so read it only when you have the time:
http://smashboards.com/threads/clon...-results-updated.341479/page-18#post-15944487

As for a DK newcomer for Project M, there is already a far better choice for a possible DK semi-clone and she is among the most popular requests (as well as having been planned for Brawl like Mewtwo and Roy were):

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I like Funky Kong he's my favorite kong. Are they adding costumes? That's a very good idea.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
DK wearing Funky's bandana, clothes and shades? YES! That'd be a sick costume. It would basically just be funky, haha, I guess they have subtle differences in fur or something but they've always looked the same to me.

I still love the Masked Man concept everyone came up with. He sounds like a character I'd play a ton. If he never gets officially made, we're gonna have to use the clone engine to make him a reality, too. : D

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Adding a half-vote for Kamek. Yoshi's all by his lonesome as the one Mario spin-off franchise no one bothers thinking up extra characters for, but Kamek would definitely be pretty appropriate.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I just dont understand how ridley could possibly work as a character. It just wouldn't fit the game, not even a little bit. The only thing that would really bother me is another pokemon character, unless they had something really unique to offer. I honestly dont really care what franchise that its from, I just want something interesting. To be honest, I would like to see something kind of like ice climbers. They have such a unique design, and its really cool what they have to offer. The new mewtwo design is a good example, since he has his floating. I want something to be character specific, it's not important whether its Fire Emblem or Sonic based.

The Metroid franchise and Ice climbers are under-represented though. It might be cool to see a metroid hunter, but I really don't know what they could possibly do with the ice climbers.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Adding a half-vote for Kamek. Yoshi's all by his lonesome as the one Mario spin-off franchise no one bothers thinking up extra characters for, but Kamek would definitely be pretty appropriate.

Haha, yeah, that's one of the reasons I like baby bowser - you could technically chalk him up as a Yoshi villain, so then it's like Yoshi has a second rep, too. (Kamek would also be awesome, tho)

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I actually wrote a detailed essay on this exact topic. Its a very long read, so read it only when you have the time:
http://smashboards.com/threads/clon...-results-updated.341479/page-18#post-15944487

As for a DK newcomer for Project M, there is already a far better choice for a possible DK semi-clone and she is among the most popular requests (as well as having been planned for Brawl like Mewtwo and Roy were):
To be honest, I've already read your post. I've been sitting on this thread since it's first inception. In fact I've been lurking on these forums for at least a year, I'm just usually not one to make a post. Occasionally I'll get this spur of the moment feeling where I JUST HAVE TO GET MY OPINION OUT THERE and then I'll post on the forums for a couple weeks but the need usually dies down quickly xD.

But back to your post, I love the idea of Sami being one of the clone characters. I just don't have the feeling that she'll make it unfortunately... Which is pretty sad since she'd represent a new series in Smash and she'd be another female rep.

And as for Dixie, she's already in my top 5 votes. To be honest, I hope Funky get's in as an alt since wasting a clone slot for him doesn't seem worth it. It's just the PMBR rules might get in the way.

For reference, these were my votes since they are already a page back. Damn this forum moves fast. Don't count these whenever you tally up the totals again please.

[collapse=JCOnyx Votes]
Full Votes
Issac
Masked Man/Claus
Dixie Kong
Lyn
Bowser Jr.

Half Votes
Sami
Saki
King K Rool
Ganondorf//Black Shadow
Dark Samus
Krystal
Kamek
Micaiah

Negative Votes
Skapon

[/collapse]

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Hey Anti Guy, is it easier to read if I use 1/2 vote instead of half vote? Don't want to make this polling tough on you, especially when you have to calculate weird candidates with barely any representation or backing.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
The biggest thing I have with Ridley is I just don't know how the hell his standing and crouching animations would work. Sadly, the only Metroid experience I have is Super Metroid and although I've gotten quite far I've yet to finish it, so I don't have much to work with when trying to envision him in-game. And if I can't envision something as simple as that...

I do have to admit he has a lot of potential as a Charizard clone though, and if I could see some mockups that show his basic movement principals, I'm sure I could lighten up to the character more. For the time being, Dark Samus would be enough for me as another Metroid rep.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Ridley crouching would look pretty cute, imo - like a lion about to pounce on its prey, or something. : D

Actually, I love the way Chari crouches, where he tucks in his tail and all that. It's so adorable. : >

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Oh dear. Another Too Bigot.

Looks like we are going to need Ridley: Ace Space Pirate Attorney

That pic is just too good.
However, I don't think he was talking about size, but rather just his overall look, feel, and moveset potential.
If he was talking about size, feel free to call me an idiot.

Edit: does that qualify as being ninja'd? idk

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
However, I don't think he was talking about size, but rather just his overall look, feel, and moveset potential.
Yeah, that's my concern with Ridley too. I wouldn't want him to feel.... like...kinda smushed in, you know? If he's hunching his head in tight and hugging his body close together just so he's not extending out too much, he's gonna look weird and a little gimp - as though he's holding back or something. And that'd be a weird look.

He's got some crazy things going on with his proportions, too. The enormous wingspan, tail, and head.... mmf, it's tough.

I bet a really sharp artist/designer could figure out something that would flow really well, for sure. I think it's more of a design challenge than a reason to exclude him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That pic is just too good.
If he was talking about size, feel free to call me an idiot
Ridley wouldn't be any more out of place than Solid Freaking Snake.

The fact that none of the PMBR team has shown any interest in any Ridley discussion about how he would work (like hitboxes, animations, etc.) despite how highly requested he is, I think is a sign that they do not have even have him considered.

Honestly, I think the only way he's getting into Project M is if Sakurai de-confirms him. I think that is going to open up an absolutely massive deluge of requests for Ridley to be in this, and Ridley is going to even blow away Isaac in terms of requests at that point.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Yeah, that's my concern with Ridley too. I wouldn't want him to feel.... like...kinda smushed in, you know? If he's hunching his head in tight and hugging his body close together just so he's not extending out too much, he's gonna look weird and a little gimp - as though he's holding back or something. And that'd be a weird look.

He's got some crazy things going on with his proportions, too. The enormous wingspan, tail, and head.... mmf, it's tough.

I bet a really sharp artist/designer could figure out something that would flow really well, for sure. I think it's more of a design challenge than a reason to exclude him.
Took the words outta my mouf

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I do think if Ridley does end up getting in, he will definitely be the last character of the five spots shown off.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
I think we should add this recognizable fellow

not only would he be representing Zelda he could represent his own game series as well, I feel that with enough time and creativity we could come up with a marvellously fun move-set for him that wouldn't be seen in another character besides some one as unique as Tingle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom