• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
One of the main reasons I brought Claus up is because there are plenty of characters in Brawl to mold his moveset from, like Samus, Metaknight, Lucas, and Ness.

I.E. his down air could easily be an adjusted vBrawl MK dair.

If this was Smash 4 I probably wouldnt probably sggest him. But because this is project M with a set of parameters which eliminate a lot of characters(i.e. Toad could be eliminated if he is revealed for smash 4 in the next month) he fits a signifigant amount of the PMBR criteria for adding a charaacter.

ANd honestly this is his only shot of being in a smash game because he WONT get into Sm4sh or any future games beyond that, so ya.

Claus/Masked Man FTW

+1 vote

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
In regards to the Leafeon discussion, why not Vaporeon instead?

Super Smash Land seemed to justify the concept. Of course I'm speaking in 'what ifs', I really don't want another Pokeman (Pichu I'm indifferent towards) in P:M.

Malion

Smash Ace
I didn't mean what was his name, I meant how would the announcer say his name.

and if any eeveelution gets in it should be a type uncovered... we already have a fire, grass, water, psychic, fairy and electric pokemon... that leaves Umbreon and Glaceon.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace

Super Smash Land seemed to justify the concept. Of course I'm speaking in 'what ifs', I really don't want another Pokeman (Pichu I'm indifferent towards) in P:M.
Unfortunately, Vaporeon isn't a trophy or sticker, so she's not an option.

Honestly, Leafeon probably isn't the greatest choice for PM considering the other options and the number of Pokemon already present in the game.

Regardless, I absolutely adore the guy and would love to see him in the game. I suppose that's fairly subjective reasoning guided largely just by my love for Leafeon, but I just can't help myself.

Make our dreams come true PMBR!

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

Wow, I did not even know that existed, that's adorable/awesome!

TBH, it's pretty much just me being biased - since I wanna mess around with the clone engine/character creation, but I don't want to make a character that somebody else would be making, Leafeon seems like a pretty good choice.

Honestly, I'd love it if one day all of the Eevee evolutions were playable. Of course, that's way outside of the scope of what the PMBR is trying to do, but maybe years from now, a bunch of fans will have gotten together and each contributed 1 evolution to brawlvault, so it'll be something feasible.

You'd still need to write over a few characters to get all 8 of them in at once, though. <_<

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I didn't mean what was his name, I meant how would the announcer say his name.

and if any eeveelution gets in it should be a type uncovered... we already have a fire, grass, water, psychic, fairy and electric pokemon... that leaves Umbreon and Glaceon.
I don't think Umbreon is an option, but I may be wrong. Glaceon would be a great choice though. I'd prefer Leafeon, but that's just personal bias.

Honestly, I'd be happy with any Eeveelution.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Claus obviously.

If you didn't know that dude was Claus the first time you saw him, then Scooby Doo must be the most exciting show for you, god damn.
Yeah, how the **** would someone not know who he is instantly. I Don't know why we couldn't have him making noise either. I mean the least we could do is have him grunt and make the same attack noises he does when he attacks in Mother 3.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Mmm, I think the announcer would call him Masked Man, since it was like a different Identity for him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want him to be named Claus, cause Masked Man sounds so generic.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
It's kinda spoilerish though. : > Either way that one'll be tough to do, since I don't think the announcer ever did a voice-over for him?

splat

Smash Lord
It's kinda spoilerish though. : > Either way that one'll be tough to do, since I don't think the announcer ever did a voice-over for him?
I don't think a missing voice-over should hold the PMBR back. They could try and find someone with a similar voice and let him do the voice-over. Or they could get a new voice-over altogether, I reckon there'd be enough volunteers should they opt for that.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I don't think a missing voice-over should hold the PMBR back. They could try and find someone with a similar voice and let him do the voice-over. Or they could get a new voice-over altogether, I reckon there'd be enough volunteers should they opt for that.

Ya, I totally agree. I'd much rather have MM than just stick to the list of characters that one guy did extra voices for, haha. I wonder how the PMBR would handle that, tho.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I really don't see the big deal in the spoilers. If this was a full game release like Smash 4, then maybe, but this is a mod. We should be less worried about a spoiler aspect and more excited about being able to play as Masked man in the game. I mean if spoilers is all that gets between him being in the game or not, that would be a real shame.

red9rd

Smash Ace
I really don't see the big deal in the spoilers. If this was a full game release like Smash 4, then maybe, but this is a mod. We should be less worried about a spoiler aspect and more excited about being able to play as Masked man in the game. I mean if spoilers is all that gets between him being in the game or not, that would be a real shame.
shhh Sheik is Zelda.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about it, the more I think that the Masked Man's identity wasn't meant to be hard to figure out, at least from the perspective of the older audience. I'll try to explain what I mean:
Much of the Mother series, in my interpretation, is designed to look very different to children than to adults. Certain parts are supposed to feel confusing to a younger audience, yet there is a lot of childhood nostalgia worked in, seemingly to remind the adults that they were kids once. Mother 3 seems to have a common theme of childlike vs. adult perspective throughout.
Relevant example: Flint, the primary adult figure in Lucas's life, is the first person to actually tell you who the Masked Man is. Its easy for him to see, without a doubt, the reality of the situation.
There are a lot of hints dropped about The Masked Man/Claus; to a child they would probably at least form suspicions, but the older audience is going to easily connect the dots. At this point, I get the feeling that Itoi is trying to get the player to ask "why" and "how," not "who." Why does Lucas have to fight his brother, and how did two brothers get torn away from each other to become enemies? Knowing who the Masked Man is does not make this situation any less amazing, enjoyable, or deep.
Hopefully this doesn't come across as overly self-interpretative or off-topic, I just felt that calling out Masked Man as a spoiler is sort of overlooking how the game itself portrays his identity. Claus is mysterious, but not a secret (to everybody). I would be okay with spoiler-free, but I'd ultimately prefer a more honest depiction.

Also, not having an unmasked alt costume for the sake of spoilers would sort of irk me.
Also also, my first +1 vote to Claus/Masked Man.

Psst. If you're here making a decision over the Masked Man, feel free to follow this quote for my potential moveset exploration, of sorts. From the future.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I've been watching this thread since it's creation, figuring out witch characters I would like to vote for. I think I've finally made my decisions.

Full Votes
Issac: His earth psyenergy and sword play would combine to make a very interesting character. Not to mention my girlfriend is bat**** crazy over Golden Sun and I've grown to actually have a liking for it as well. Gotta love biased votes. Also represents a new series amongst the cast.
Masked Man/Claus: Basically the same thing as Issac, psy powers plus sword = amazing. For both of these characters I have no idea how they would make disjointed hit boxes for their swords especially since Claus would most likely use one of the other Mother characters as a base, but these characters are just too awesome to pass up.
Dixie Kong: Donkey Kong Country 2 was my favorite of the DKC series. Mostly because of the amazing environments and music, but also because of Dixie. She could FLY for goodness sakes. I have no idea how the hell they'd implement her copter-like abilities into her moveset, but it's just amazing to think of the possibilities this could grant a DK character in smash. Also, more female/DKC rep (but that's not nearly as important as the rest).
Lyn: Do I even need to explain.
Bowser Jr: This little guy has so much going for him. His dad is already in the game and rocking it hardcore with his new armored abilities, and Squirtle is a pretty damn good base for him. Plus I'd love to rock a farther/son Bowser + Jr. team battle and cause the Mario brothers problems.

I seem to have run out of time so I'll return to edit this post and place some half votes when I get the chance.

EDIT: Alright, since I feel lazy and don't want to explain my reasoning behind half vote characters, I'll make a list of all of my votes in the standard GYR format people have been seeming to use. In no particular order:

Full Votes
Issac
Masked Man/Claus
Dixie Kong
Lyn
Bowser Jr.

Half Votes
Sami
Saki
King K Rool
Ganondorf//Black Shadow
Dark Samus
Krystal
Kamek
Micaiah

Negative Votes
Skapon

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

Oh yeah - I'm just saying call him the Masked Man, not Claus. There's really no benefit in calling him Claus, and that would totally spoil it - whereas if it's Masked Man, people could probably figure it out if they wanted to, but if they just take it as "oh, another EB character", that works too.

I dunno.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really think it would be weird for Mother to have as many characters as it has games (and very likely won't ever have a fourth one considering how many times Itoi has declared the series finished).

If there is anyone that should be added in as the third Mother character, it should be the character that binds Ness and Lucas together in terms of story, which is Porky. Though that might be a tad difficult.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Another problem is that I don't think we should load up over half the slots with sword newcomers, and as it stands Isaac and Lyn are far more requested than Masked Man/Claus (as well as far more well known).

I think diversity in terms of the newcomer slots should be one of the ideals strived towards.

And as a said before, I do think one of the slots should represent a long running franchise and be a character that is more unconventional yet would be popularly received (I suggested Sami, Lip, and Tom Nook). Between the three, I think Sami is definitely the most feasible.

Malion

Smash Ace
What I was actually wondering about earlier actually applies to Mewtwo and Roy as well... who will be filling in as Announcer. Will they just be using soundbytes from those games? Seems like they wouldn't fit that well.

Also the audience chanting... if they put Slippy or Deku Link or Goombella in there who will be the ones cheering their name? haha I guess there are more important questions but it has been eating away at the back of my mind.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Another problem is that I don't think we should load up over half the slots with sword newcomers, and as it stands Isaac and Lyn are far more requested than Masked Man/Claus (as well as far more well known).

I think diversity in terms of the newcomer slots should be one of the ideals strived towards.

And as a said before, I do think one of the slots should represent a long running franchise and be a character that is more unconventional yet would be popularly received (I suggested Sami, Lip, and Tom Nook). Between the three, I think Sami is definitely the most feasible.

Being a sword character shouldnt even be considered when adding characters. When people refer to a character as having a sword they usually think of ike and marth, having that dangerous range and zoning capabilities. But if you compare all the sword characters together only 2 have that range, and every sword character plays way different. It would be like saying there are to many punching characters, bottom line the cast is very diverse, and if they added a sword character it would make the cast even more diverse.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't think Paper Mario would need to basically have custom sprites for all of his attacks, and that is more time consuming than animating a 3D model (see what the Skullgirls developers have said).

I mean they would not just have to animate Paper Mario, but also bring in spites for his allies (to use for possible specials).

There are a few that say the character could be a Game & Watch clone, but really there only similarity is that they are both flat beings. In terms of moves, Paper Mario would need to be much different, and he has fluid animation unlike Mr. G & W.

splat

Smash Lord
I really think it would be weird for Mother to have as many characters as it has games (and very likely won't ever have a fourth one considering how many times Itoi has declared the series finished).

If there is anyone that should be added in as the third Mother character, it should be the character that binds Ness and Lucas together in terms of story, which is Porky. Though that might be a tad difficult.
In the case of Smash 4, then yes - I'd agree.

However, I think the way Project M should pick their characters should be vastly different compared to an official Smash game. Sakurai's fairly limited in having to choose from the biggest, most important characters from a series - only after that is he capable of looking what they can bring to the table.
Project M, though, is limited in having to choose from characters that were in Brawl in some way - but can opt for less important characters should they bring something interesting to the game. You've talked about Lyn and Sami before, both are 'semi'-important in their games; not the main character by any means - but both could potentially be an interesting addition to Project M.

I'd say Masked Man is in the same boat. He's a sword wielding kid with wings, a blaster and a jetpack. I think his moveset potential is through the roof.
Also, looking at the last bunch of replies, many people seem to like him.

I think that's a valid point. Keep in mind though, we've seen Masked Man without his sword on various occasions - it's a weapon, not necessarily [the] weapon of choice. It could be used for only a few attacks. They could also keep the sword relatively short, making him less sword-user-like than most sword users, if that makes any sense.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Being a sword character shouldnt even be considered when adding characters. When people refer to a character as having a sword they usually think of ike and marth, having that dangerous range and zoning capabilities. But if you compare all the sword characters together only 2 have that range, and every sword character plays way different. It would be like saying there are to many punching characters, bottom line the cast is very diverse, and if they added a sword character it would make the cast even more diverse.
Its been a complaint by quite a few people. Throw in the fact that we already have Roy in as well.

So basically its possible that at minimum that we have three out of seven characters being sword wielders (I think Isaac and Lyn are going to be the top priority for consideration in my opinion simply due to how high their popularity is).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, looking at the last bunch of replies, many people seem to like him.

Not really, he is behind a whole lot of characters in terms of votes. His fans are just very, very loud (see that one guy that keeps posting artwork of him in nearly every post).

Malion

Smash Ace
Rather than picking Paper Mario I'd rather be able to play as an ally from that game in a non paper form... like Goombella or Vivian or Bow.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Rather than picking Paper Mario I'd rather be able to play as an ally from that game in a non paper form... like Goombella or Vivian or Bow.
Those characters have the same problems as Paper Mario, though with much less move diversity.

However, with Paper Mario, he theoretically could use the partners for moves (talking about what Sakurai could do with the characrter), and have Goombella/Goombario's tattle as a sort of Snake codec taunt special.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman

I can understand your viewpoint, but I think distilling Claus into a "sword character" for the sake of this discussion is a bit too much. Personally, a combination of technological, magic/psionics, and sword sounds unique enough to me. It's the combination of different styles that makes him seem like a good choice. He's a chimera, if you will.

My opinion on the subject of representation differs, I must admit. There is no arbitrary characters per game released ratio in place, and the fact stands that three characters is not excessive. I would not mind Porky, I'd prefer Claus but I can't deny Porky as the more iconic character (and arguably the main villain of the series) but he comes with a whole slew of problems that Claus does not (more difficult to draw a moveset from the games, difficult to animate said moveset, would likely require a voice, getting a giant spider mech to properly merge with the environment of a platform fighter). If it makes you feel any more open to his inclusion, the Masked Man is as much a representative of Porky as you can get, really.

Malion

Smash Ace
Those characters have the same problems as Paper Mario, though with much less move diversity.

However, with Paper Mario, he theoretically could use the partners for moves (talking about what Sakurai could do with the characrter), and have Goombella/Goombario's tattle as a sort of Snake codec taunt special.
They wouldn't have the same problem if they were non-paperized... and unlike paper mario... unpaperizing them doesn't make them into a currently existing character.

I was going to suggest one of the Koopa characters like Koops but they'd basically just be a non-water Squirtle.

Imagine the kind of mayhem you could ensue with Admiral Bobbery as a character. Explosions everywhere!

splat

Smash Lord
Not really, he is behind a whole lot of characters in terms of votes. His fans are just very, very loud (see that one guy that keeps posting artwork of him in nearly every post).
Yeah, red9rd is fairly loud. I thought I filtered out most of his posts, but there's still quite a lot of other people who've posted multiple times discussing im.

I don't think he was properly brought up until page 28, and from that page onwards we have this list of people who've seemed positive on Masked Man as a character:
- red9rd
- Diddy Kong
- Xebenkeck
- PsionicSabreur
- JCOnyx
- Celestis
- BronzeGreekGod
- Hero_42
- Alfonzo Bagpipez
- B.W.
- EdgeTheLucas
- Chzrm3
- l3thargy (though giving him 1/2 a vote)
- splat

In comparison, you appear to be the first one who doesn't really seem to like him.

Granted, the list is not as big as Lyn's and Sami's probably are - but for a character that's been mostly under the radar I think he's doing fairly well so far.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I can understand your viewpoint, but I think distilling Claus into a "sword character" for the sake of this discussion is a bit too much. Personally, a combination of technological, magic/psionics, and sword sounds unique enough to me. It's the combination of different styles that makes him seem like a good choice. He's a chimera, if you will.
There is likely already to be Isaac who is going to mix sword attacks in his with magic/psychic attacks.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, red9rd is fairly loud.

I don't think he was properly brought up until page 28, and from that page onwards we have this list of people who've seemed positive on Masked Man as a character:
-List

Granted, the list is not as big as Lyn's and Sami's probably are - but for a character that's been mostly under the radar I think he's doing fairly well so far.
I think a good chunk of those are half votes, or "that would be nice" kind of deal. Considering several of the names on that list already used up their five upvote quotas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom