• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Just gonna throw this out there as well.

Shadow has heavy stigma because of his status as an Edgemaster and being homage to a mostly horrible fanbase. Before MLP, sonic was probably the most hated fanbase of all time.

all sonic characters have this too.

Now looking at them from the players of Super smash brothers and from people that are uneducated in Sonicology .

Shadow is...
  • Completely the same as sonic but edgy
  • Unnecessarily vulgar.
  • A Sonic Character
Now Pichu on the other hand only really has hate because he is bad. If Pichu was top tier then he'd probably have a lot more wanting him back because he would be playing well.

Since he doesn't he's just seen as an inferior Pichu, which only gets amplified by the fact that he is Pikachu's pre evolution.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Just gonna throw this out there as well.

Shadow has heavy stigma because of his status as an Edgemaster and being homage to a mostly horrible fanbase. Before MLP, sonic was probably the most hated fanbase of all time.

all sonic characters have this too.

Now looking at them from the players of Super smash brothers and from people that are uneducated in Sonicology .

Shadow is...
  • Completely the same as sonic but edgy
  • Unnecessarily vulgar.
  • A Sonic Character
Now Pichu on the other hand only really has hate because he is bad. If Pichu was top tier then he'd probably have a lot more wanting him back because he would be playing well.

Since he doesn't he's just seen as an inferior Pichu, which only gets amplified by the fact that he is Pikachu's pre evolution.
God damnit, I do not know what you people have against Shadow the man.

He was like the best character in Sonic Adventure 2, and that game was still more fun than all the old sonic games. (OPINION)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal I don't understand.

I was saying things for people who are newer here.

I still stand by the fact that Shadow is the best character in Sonic Adventure 2 and ****ing deserves a spot in smash.

But he's got the stigma of the gods that will do everything to prevent his inclusion. WHICH SUCKS.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

I still stand by the fact that Shadow is the best character in Sonic Adventure 2 and ****ing deserves a spot in smash.

But he's got the stigma of the gods that will do everything to prevent his inclusion. WHICH SUCKS.
Just throwing in my two cents here.
I personally don't have anything against the Sonic characters. Some, like Shadow, could provide interesting movesets and playstyles. However, it is highly unlikely that any of them could be added due to their third party status, which sucks, but I personally am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
The current Pikachu is canonically Melee's Pichu. So.. what happened to 64/Melee's Pikachu?

:026:

Hey PMBR, if you're considering Pichu, you should go this far instead. Adding Pichu would technically be adding a new character, so... why not bring back a true veteran? I guarantee you Raichu would have a better response than Pichu, because he's Pichu in spirit (Pikachu clone), but is thunderstoned and fully evolved and NEW.

Last edited:

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
The current Pikachu is canonically Melee's Pichu. So.. what happened to 64/Melee's Pikachu?

:026:

Hey PMBR, if you're considering Pichu, you should go this far instead. Adding Pichu would technically be adding a new character, so... why not bring back a true veteran?
Let's get Raichu, Pichu, Pichu Duo, Plusle and Minun, and another Pikachu.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

I don't even know anymore man. I was going somewhere with my statement and lost it. I've had a terrible day and my mind has literally been all over the place, so I'm struggling with my reasoning.

I know that what you are saying about Shadow isn't completely accurate though. Characters in the Sonic series share similarities with Sonic all the same, but they all have unique traits. This shouldn't seem so alien of a concept considering that is how the Mario Series, Donkey Kong Series, Metroid Prime Hunters, and many other series, have functioned since the beginning of gaming. Characters from the same game series like these are going to have similar gameplay styles to one another, because those elements are essential to that game. Yes, Shadow in his first and second appearance was exactly like Sonic. Luigi was exactly like Mario in his first and second appearance. Each character had likable, defining traits to distinguish themselves from one another.

And as for the vulgarity, that was a single game. It was a very bad decision. Nintendo CD-I was a bad decision, Virtual Boy was a bad decision, the Nintendo 64 DD was a bad decision, dropping Playstation for Philips was a bad decision, the games that came with those systems were bad decisions. Nintendo has made a lot of questionable decisions before. Yes, Sonic is a single series with a lot of bad decisions. It is also a series with a lot of good decisions.

-Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 & K
-SegaSonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic SatAm
-Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
-Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3
-Sonic Battle
-Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure
-Sonic Colors
-Sonic Generations
-Sonic CD Remake
-Tails Adventure
And probably a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Heck. If Nintendo acknowledges a good majority of the Sonic characters enough to allow Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games exist, allow Sonic to be in Brawl / Smash 4 along with a handful of his friends as trophies and backdrop characters, and make Shadow an assist trophy character, then clearly there is something "right" with the series and these characters. I just think the obnoxious, loud, rude, unfaithful, Sonic fans are noisy and it leaves a bad reputation on the unvocal, large handful of good Sonic fans.

It is like...1:39 a.m. and a lot of what I'm saying probably doesn't matter or make sense, so meh. Whatever. I gave up on believing Shadow, or any Sonic character, stood a chance of making it into P:M ages ago. People just hate this series and it is probably going to end up staying that way.

Last edited:

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I say we add in Pichu and young link into the game that way all the people who played them in melee will be happy :D

if not for those people then for the people who want three Links and eight Pokemon open up your hearts and accept Arceus into your lives

Debatable. After all, Pikachu is well-known for stealing clothes :p Just look as his Trainer hat. Could be the same with his "Pichu" costume.
to be fair he had to have evolved from a pichu in order for him to know volt-tackle

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I read somewhere that Sakurai's cat's name is Koopa. Not sure how true that is.
If that is true, then we must have him playable in Smash as the rep for Smash Memes. THIS MUST HAPPEN. WE NEED SMASH MEMES!

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'd love Raichu. Pikachu is too quick and twitchy for me to really handle, so a heavier, slightly slower, and stronger one with a similar weight as Smash 64's Pikachu (compared to the lighter Melee Pikachu) would be perfect for me.

Not that I'm clamoring for the return of 64 Pikachu's giant, blatantly invisible hitboxes that didn't match the attack animation at all. But maybe just the power of some of them.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Raichu. Pikachu is too quick and twitchy for me to really handle, so a heavier, slightly slower, and stronger one with a similar weight as Smash 64's Pikachu (compared to the lighter Melee Pikachu) would be perfect for me.

Not that I'm clamoring for the return of 64 Pikachu's giant, blatantly invisible hitboxes that didn't match the attack animation at all. But maybe just the power of some of them.
Raichu could be cool, I honestly love how Project M handles the Pokemon, using so many classic moves, Raichu could have Thunderbolt, Zap Cannon, Wild Charge, Charge Beam ...

Victini could be an interesting addition, instead of Pichu, more powerful, but just as small and fast!

As for the Sonic debat, I'd prefer to see Tails over Shadow, I think Tails would bring more to the table than Shadow would, although I could see a lot of Shadow's smashes involving flaming rocket sneaker kicks ... Tails flight would just be more useful, give Tails an Up Special flight, and a Peach/Mewtwo style hover!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Sakurai's Cat, a conglomerate of requested and ditched moves combined with popular Smash Memes. And just look at this cat's skills.

Masahiro Sakurai @ Sora_Sakurai 27 Jan 2013
However, I poke weaknesses accurately.

Easily top tier material. Proof of concept.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I legit wouldn't mind Pichu.

People, stop looking at Pichu as opportunity cost. (Like, for some reason no one mentioned that the main reason that people are against Pichu is because him being in means another, subjectively more deserving character didn't make it in. Ridly, Dixie, Lyn, K. Rool, Sami, Takamaru, whoever. The key word being subjective.)

We all have characters we want in and characters we f***ing hate, it's the nature of fandoms. Let it go. Let's consider ourselves lucky that we're getting any new characters at all. And let's stop having this pissing contest. I could maybe understand if the resolution of this argument would influence the final outcome, but guess what? We're flarking all over a SPECULATION thread. The decision, at least on Pichu specifically, was probably made in the BR a while ago and there's literally nothing anyone can say anymore to influence that.

Like, even if you could, what would be the point of making, for example, Saito admit that Pichu doesn't deserve inclusion? What would the end result be? The votes are in, the PMBR can look at them and take into account as much as they wish. If we're going to continue this, let's do it in a more constructive fashion. I revel in online debate but this is literally pointless.

Jesu Crepes this thread. Y'all are seriously de-hyping me at this point.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
You and Cool Blue weren't around for it, so I'm going to put the BEST idea I've ever seen for Pichu here.

This idea was what made me give Pichu a half-vote.

Those feels when you get props on the internet

Nothing like a good :pichumelee: party to lift one's spirits :denzel:

Unrelated::zelda: actually has her own icon now guys-- OH SNIPPETY SNAP

Shin F.

Smash Master
Those feels when you get props on the internet

Nothing like a good :pichumelee: party to lift one's spirits :denzel:
Totally props-worthy idea deserves major props :p
Unrelated::zelda: actually has her own icon now guys-- OH SNIPPETY SNAP
I looked for this *****'s icon for like half an hour last weekend for my Alt Costume thread list, and I couldn't find it. Just uploaded one to imgur. At least she has one now, though :p

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I did just notice, though, that in any case Raichu is only mentioned in-game in Pikachu's trophy description.
I wonder if this counts? The Raichu IP is included in Brawl, albeit as a textual reference. I'd like a member of the PMBR to de/confirm this inclusionary method please, because to my knowledge it hasn't been addressed. If this is allowed, it may open up many more possibilities as we comb over trophy descriptions for characters otherwise not represented in any form.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I wonder if this counts? The Raichu IP is included in Brawl, albeit as a textual reference. I'd like a member of the PMBR to de/confirm this inclusionary method please, because to my knowledge it hasn't been addressed. If this is allowed, it may open up many more possibilities as we comb over trophy descriptions for characters otherwise not represented in any form.
It's come up before when discussing E. Gadd, but no one ever said either way. Would certainly be nice to know for sure.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's come up before when discussing E. Gadd, but no one ever said either way. Would certainly be nice to know for sure.
Take all this sadness and confusion, and replace it with Sakurai's Cat. Cats make everything better. Especially Smash Bros. related cats.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I'd like to see: King K. Rool, Tails, Black Shadow, Claus and Bowser Jr/ shadow Mario.

Shadow, Dark Samus, Red Falcon, Lyn and Dixie can be skins like Dr. Mario.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I'm gonna go out on alimb and guess you're a Mother fan Shin xD.

What would you think of a Starman for clone engine?

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm gonna go out on alimb and guess you're a Mother fan Shin xD.

What would you think of a Starman for clone engine?
I dunno, calling me a Mother fan might be a bit of a stretch... :p

Starman would be alright. I'd still prefer Ninten or Masked Man, but Starman would be about the same level of awesome for me as Jeff (who had some pretty cool ideas for him)

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Well I just missed out on the whole Raichu thing, but I think it is a great idea!
While It would be a little bit sad to not have Pichu, having Raichu being based off of Pichu's moveset could work like how Tink's moveset is inspired by Young Link's.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I don't even know anymore man. I was going somewhere with my statement and lost it. I've had a terrible day and my mind has literally been all over the place, so I'm struggling with my reasoning.

I know that what you are saying about Shadow isn't completely accurate though. Characters in the Sonic series share similarities with Sonic all the same, but they all have unique traits......
Let me stop you right there.

Yes, we know this.

As sonic fans we understand the differences between these characters, but to the uninformed, misinformed, and haters all of the evidence that these characters are really different from each other doesn't matter.

It's dumb and biased to be blunt.
Only difference is that these people don't have a vocal minority. They have a Vocal Majority. Which is RARE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom