• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
RIDLEY IS DA NEW FINAL FIVE HE'S SO BIG THAT HE TOOK UP AWL UV DA SLAWTS

You gotta select which part of Ridley you wanna play; the rest of him just sits in the background while his head/arms/torso/feet/tail do the fighting, depending on which part you select.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Any Advance Wars characters would definitely benefit from some goofier specials like unit summons. A commando moveset fits Sami fine, but silly specials capture the series' light-hearted nature well. Still, Sami could match Snake's moveset 1:1 and still feel in-character.

I'd agree that out of respect for the hard work of the PMBR the best thing to do would be to stop discussing the leak, whether or not it's real.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I wonder how people would react to Masked Man if he had double jump canceling like the other Mother brothers in combination with sword aerials. The_NZA came up with this idea and I think it's pretty sweet.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Yep, quality of posts back to normal
Let's break that then.

+1 to Pichu.

He has...
  • An established moveset
  • Sound effects
  • Unique gimmick
  • Untapped potential
He also has animations that the PMBR can draw a ton of inspiration from and like stated above; a lot of untapped potential that the PMBR could bring out in their own fashion.

>P-Pichu was just a joke character!

Doesn't mean he would have to be bad in this.

>Man, no one even liked Pichu!

Opinion =/= fact

>There are way better choices than Pichu!

Popularity wise, sure.
Gameplay wise though? That completely depends on how the metagame for each specific character develops.

>We have enough Pokemon! it's gonna end up being Project Pokemon at this rate!

I bet this would not be said nearly as much if Pichu was in and they were thinking about adding Mewtwo back.

>It's a waste of the PMBR's time!

You can't determine that. Only they can.

>Implying the PMBR could make me want to play as Pichu.

Not every character is for everyone. But whatever they do to the character is likely to spark new interest in them. I mean, look at all the new Roy mains as an example.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Let's break that then.

+1 to Pichu.

He has...
  • An established moveset
  • Sound effects
  • Unique gimmick
  • Untapped potential
He also has animations that the PMBR can draw a ton of inspiration from and like stated above; a lot of untapped potential that the PMBR could bring out in their own fashion.

>P-Pichu was just a joke character!

Doesn't mean he would have to be bad in this.

>Man, no one even liked Pichu!

Opinion =/= fact

>There are way better choices than Pichu!

Popularity wise, sure.
Gameplay wise though? That completely depends on how the metagame for each specific character develops.

>We have enough Pokemon! it's gonna end up being Project Pokemon at this rate!

I bet this would not be said nearly as much if Pichu was in and they were thinking about adding Mewtwo back.

>It's a waste of the PMBR's time!

You can't determine that. Only they can.

>Implying the PMBR could make me want to play as Pichu.

Not every character is for everyone. But whatever they do to the character is likely to spark new interest in them. I mean, look at all the new Roy mains as an example.
I cannot fathom why you would make this post. There's no joke, only insult and an instant argument bonfire. Pichu talk was banned for a fraction of the strife this has potential for.

Just, go to your room. Your mother and I are extremely disappointed in you.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I cannot fathom why you would make this post. There's no joke, only insult and an instant argument bonfire. Pichu talk was banned for a fraction of the strife this has potential for.

Just, go to your room. Your mother and I are extremely disappointed in you.
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'd like to repeat something of mine. If Pichu comes back, I want the Pokémon Trainer commanding him. Why? Because it would immediately quiet any outcries that "Pichu is just a weaker Pikachu, he's not supposed to recieve buffs to match him and all the other characters!"

In the games, wild Pokémon are canonically weaker than those raised by a trainer. Since all 7 Pokémon so far are wild (now that Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are independent), and since Pichu's naturally very weak, he's gonna need help :( and recieving the strength and guidance from the Pokémon Trainer would not only be a great way to bring both of them back, but would also be a clever, canonical excuse for why such a terrible character is now kicking top tier threats around. He'll finally be on par with everyone else.

Obviously Pokémon Trainer would stay in the background like he did before, for those confused about his implementation.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'd like to repeat something of mine. If Pichu comes back, I want the Pokémon Trainer commanding him. Why? Because it would immediately quiet any outcries that "Pichu is just a weaker Pikachu, he's not supposed to recieve buffs to match him and all the other characters!"

In the games, wild Pokémon are canonically weaker than those raised by a trainer. Since all 7 Pokémon so far are wild (now that Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are independent), and since Pichu's naturally very weak, he's gonna need help :( and recieving the strength and guidance from the Pokémon Trainer would not only be a great way to bring both of them back, but would also be a clever, canonical excuse for why such a terrible character is now kicking top tier threats like everyone else.

Obviously Pokémon Trainer would stay in the background like he did before, for those confused about his implementation.
They should call him "Pokemon Hacker". :p

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Or pichu and Trainer can be an IC clone, tag teaming everyone with dual poke-trainer action, and their final smash could put the opponent into a super-electric-red hat'd-double suplex hold of doom.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Man, look at everyone down there. Usually it's just 8 people at the most. More people to become subject to the Pichu influence, then :troll:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The main reason I don't want to see Pichu is because of gameplay concerns. His gimmick makes him very swingy. If he gets enough buffs to be able to attack himself for 50 damage worth of missed attacks on evasive characters and still win the match, he will be blowing the less dodgy characters out of the water.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman

In the games, wild Pokémon are canonically weaker than those raised by a trainer. Since all 7 Pokémon so far are wild (now that Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are independent), and since Pichu's naturally very weak, he's gonna need help :( and recieving the strength and guidance from the Pokémon Trainer would not only be a great way to bring both of them back, but would also be a clever, canonical excuse for why such a terrible character is now kicking top tier threats around. He'll finally be on par with everyone else.

I've always thought it'd be neat if all the Pokemon had different trainers in the background. I'd probably put Ivysaur with Red, Squirtle with Leaf(/Blue/Green), and Charizard with Blue(/Green/Gary). Pikachu could have Yellow. I'm not sure what trainer would go with Jigglypuff. Lucario would probably either have Riley, Korrina, or Sir Aaron, though I would prefer to avoid the anime. Mewtwo would have no trainer.

Though this would sort of conflict with your idea, unless Pichu has a better trainer than the others. Gold, perhaps? He beat Red, but he's not a clearly superior trainer, regardless.
Pichu's trainer should really probably just be Goomy.

Edit: That said, I'm not too big on the idea of Pichu, anyway.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The fact that the leak hasn't been disconfirmed is interesting. I'm not gonna put any stock into it though, because the PMBR stressing the difficulties of unique characters, and then choosing what are likely at least 3 unique characters baffles my mind. That, and they've said before they might not even use all the slots.

Unless of course they changed their mind given how ****ing popular the idea was and/or they were incredibly bored. I dunno though.

Still, if this is the roster they chose, by some crazy possible...stuff, I'm perfectly OK with everything on it except for Knuckles, but even then, he's probably the best choice of any Sonic character.

And I'd totally ignore everything else just to play as Skull Kid anyway. So there's that.

Edit: Just to clarify, the leak said:

Lyn, Isaac, Skull Kid, Sami and Knuckles, right? That's pretty..bitchin'.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how people would react to Masked Man if he had double jump canceling like the other Mother brothers in combination with sword aerials. The_NZA came up with this idea and I think it's pretty sweet.
Definitely something I could see being used in the rather hypothetical event of his inclusion.
I play a lot of Roy and Lucas, so I can't pretend to stand objectively for people as a whole, but I'd be extremely interested in seeing how a combination of the two styles would play out at highly competitive levels. As for my reaction upon release, I'd probably be doing the Wess dance.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Or like, they all come on here and prove it wrong.

They could very well show us a WiP character not mentioned in the leak.

Something like, "Hey, *******s, that ****'s fake, here's Dark Samus, Saki, Ray, Waluigi, and Fifth Guy to prove it".
Oh man. I *LOVE* Fifth Guy. Can't wait to main him.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd be down with the leaked roster if it were real. I can't say no to any roster with Isaac on it.
  • Isaac: He's by far my most wanted character in Smash and he'd be a ton of fun to play. His psynergy might be tricky to get into the mod, but hopefully PMBR can handle it. Golden Sun deserves a spot.
  • Sami: She'd be a great choice too, and she also has no chance at making it into SSB4. She's got potential as a Snake clone. Snake's got one of the most unique movesets in the game, but I'm not a fan of the character. It'd be great to have a unique moveset like that on a character I actually like. As far as Sami vs Andy goes, Andy is the face of the franchise, but Sami is a major character too. She's also got more clone potential, as she can easily draw from Snake. Having another female on the roster, especially one who isn't a) a princess; or b) wearing a skintight bodysuit; would be nice.
  • Lyn: I didn't play her game, so I have no attachment to her character. I'm a bit worried that she'd end up playing too much like every other Fire Emblem character, but hopefully PMBR can make her unique. She probably won't be very hard to get into the game, either, since the PMBR already has experience with Roy. And like Sami, it'd be nice to have another strong female fighter.
  • Knuckles: My general feeling is that the mod should stick to Nintendo characters, but I'd actually be pretty hyped for Knuckles. Tails has seniority over him, but Knuckles has much better moveset potential so he'd be a better choice for the mod. Obviously he'd be a clone of Sonic, but he's got his own unique tools as well. He's got gliding and punching and rock crushing and other moves to draw from. He's also hard as nails. It ain't hard to tell.
  • Skull Kid: Meh. I never played his game and I don't know what he'd bring to the table. Personally I'd prefer Pichu or Dark Samus, but if Isaac's on the roster I hardly care who else makes it.

JediLink

Smash Ace
He's also hard as nails. It ain't hard to tell.
This. And to anyone who might think that Knuckles would just be a pointless clone of Sonic and wouldn't bring anything new to the table, you've got to remember that there's one pretty significant difference.

Unlike Sonic, he doesn't chuckle.
He'd rather flex his muscles.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'm totally fine with the leaked list. It only has one character I actually care about (Lyn), but you really can't say no to 5 new characters.

(My other two choices would have been Krystal and decloned Ganondorf).

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I mean, I think it would be cool on a human like Lynn. Nothing inherently says you have to be psychic to have a DJC (yoshi/peach). I think it would fit her pretty well, since do we really need another marth?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Just because a character has a sword doesn't mean they're automatically Link/Marth/Ike.

A cloned character can have a highly edited moveset, just look at Mewtwo. Any character with a sword could be vastly different in many cases. Maybe Lyn would have a bunch of horizontal slash animations more similar to Ike's f-tilt or b-air, or Roy's b-air. That would make the hitboxes in more of a straight line in front of her unlike the rest of the swords users that have tons of slashes that basically create whole walls in front of them.

NWRL

Smash Ace
The best part about this leak is Pichunerd tears. Drown me in them, it feeds me.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Just because a character has a sword doesn't mean they're automatically Link/Marth/Ike.

A cloned character can have a highly edited moveset, just look at Mewtwo. Any character with a sword could be vastly different in many cases. Maybe Lyn would have a bunch of horizontal slash animations more similar to Ike's f-tilt or b-air, or Roy's b-air. That would make the hitboxes in more of a straight line in front of her unlike the rest of the swords users that have tons of slashes that basically create whole walls in front of them.
I meant more that I imagine Lyn's sword style to closely mirror marth's (quick and elegant) and I bet a DJC playstyle might be cool to play with (and kind of make sense with her agility and jumps. I mean, her crit hit as a lord basically implies a ton of aerial manueverability).

Burnsy

Smash Lord
That sounds like it has the potential to be really broken. Mite be cool i guess.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I meant more that I imagine Lyn's sword style to closely mirror marth's (quick and elegant) and I bet a DJC playstyle might be cool to play with (and kind of make sense with her agility and jumps. I mean, her crit hit as a lord basically implies a ton of aerial manueverability).
Most people see their life flash before their eyes before they die.

Those killed by Lyn just see her sheathing her sword, all the while wondering when she'd drawn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom