• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I think Knuckles is a good choice because I'm looking forward to a gliding character that can also wall cling. I'm thinking either like an ice climbers like wavedash or a peach like wavedash; he is great or he sucks.
I'm hoping Knuckles is the (Luigified) Ganondarf to Sonic's Captain Falcon. But perhaps instead of speed, combos, and a ground game Knuckles focuses on power, wavedashing, and air.
The nair, dair (maybe drilling animation), and B-down could easily be cloned, just make it more powerful. Heck his glide attack could be taken from Sonic's vBrawl FAir.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yknow, Knuckles strikes me as one of the, or perhaps the only Sawnic character that won't make the general Project M fanbase go "Ugh, god damn it." While still satisfying the voracious hunger of crazy ass Sanic fans.

That's if this is true, if course. (I sure hope so.)

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I think the poll results of this thread are enough to demonstrate why red sonic shouldn't be in.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Hey, at least it's better than Sassy Woman Peach.

I heard about that rumour when I got back home. They had pretty interesting choices, although I don't know if I agree with some of that wishlist. I remembe rone of them had Little Mac and another had Banjo. That one made me laugh.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I remembe rone of them had Little Mac and another had Banjo. That one made me laugh.
The fact that there's no Banjo in Smash made you laugh? :(

It makes me cry on the inside.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Yknow, Knuckles strikes me as one of the, or perhaps the only Sawnic character that won't make the general Project M fanbase go "Ugh, god damn it." While still satisfying the voracious hunger of crazy *** Sanic fans.

That's if this is true, if course. (I sure hope so.)
That's a weird way to spell Miles Prower.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

In a perfect world, Microsoft wouldn't have bought Rare, we would've gotten Banjo-Threeie on the GameCube, and Banjo and Kazooie would be in Smash.

That's a weird way to spell Miles Prower.
He sure makes ME go "ugh".

"SUUUAAAWNIK PLEEEEEASE LET ME GO ADVENTURIN WIF YOOOOOOOU"

I know that's not how he acts. But he's booooooooring. Like, even for a Sonic character he's boring.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
He sure makes ME go "ugh".

"SUUUAAAWNIK PLEEEEEASE LET ME GO ADVENTURIN WIF YOOOOOOOU"
Okay, so we look at Knuckles classic form when referring to him "Back in the good ol' days he was Sonic's rival, that was cool!"
But we're only supposed to look at bad voice acting for Tails in recent years, instead of treating it like Knuckles and going "Back in the good ol' days he was Sonic's sidekick, that was cool!"
But no, it's fine. Carry on, please.

Vigilante

Smash Lord

I like Banjo Kazooie, but anything past Tooie hasn't been good. Plus, it would be unreasonable for us to include a character from one of Nintendo's competitors if we want to stay on their good side.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I know that's not how he acts. But he's booooooooring. Like, even for a Sonic character he's boring.
I think the opposite. Tails is more of the more interesting Sonic characters to me, because I find rival characters to be typical and boring. Not to mention, I feel like Tails has a wider moveset potential than Knuckles does because of all the gadgets and devices he can build and use. Blasters, bombs, that thing he uses in SSF2 that resembles a boxing glove of some kind (not sure what it's called). Plus his tail-based abilities like tail whips and flying, and a perfect Final Smash that's not just another Super Form in the Tornado, which could easily be cloned from Snake's.

Of course, that may be why they chose Knuckles. All things considered, a clone more similar and less unique to the original takes less work. They've already got unique characters in Isaac and Skull Kid, and possibly Sami and Lyn, so it makes sense, really.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Tails annoys the hell out of me. It's the same reason I despise Toad, really. :p And while he might be an interesting fighter, it sounds to me from the way you described that he would be kinda similar to Snake. Which is not bad! But Sami is probably already gonna fill that role. Plus Knuckles has some interesting abilities of his own, and a weird Sonic clone is a fun idea too.

But big is the most popular sonic character, don't tell me you didn't cry when he wasn't in sonic lost world.
Tears of joy, my friend. :awesome:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I like Banjo Kazooie, but anything past Tooie hasn't been good. Plus, it would be unreasonable for us to include a character from one of Nintendo's competitors if we want to stay on their good side.
Look I'm not asking you to include them, because I understand the rules.

I was just partially astounded anyone could not love them enough to laugh at the idea of them being in Smash.

That said, lets discuss something else.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Look I'm not asking you to include them, because I understand the rules.

I was just partially astounded anyone could not love them enough to laugh at the idea of them being in Smash.

That said, lets discuss something else.
I wish Nintendo hadn't let Rare go. Banjo and Kazooie would've been super fun in Smash...

Shin F.

Smash Master
Tails annoys the hell out of me. It's the same reason I despise Toad, really. :p And while he might be an interesting fighter, it sounds to me from the way you described that he would be kinda similar to Snake. Which is not bad! But Sami is probably already gonna fill that role. Plus Knuckles has some interesting abilities of his own, and a weird Sonic clone is a fun idea too.
I actually imagined him pretty much exactly as he is in SSF2, if you've ever played that. His fighting style in that game is pretty unique among the characters. If you want to see him how I do, just play him in a match of that game a couple of times.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I actually imagined him pretty much exactly as he is in SSF2, if you've ever played that. His fighting style in that game is pretty unique among the characters. If you want to see him how I do, just play him in a match of that game a couple of times.
I never have played it. Wanna link me to some good videos?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Smash Flash 2... ahh... I'm not sure how to describe that game, I'm so mixed on it.
But never go on those forums...never again...

So yeah, I think Knuckles would have Meta Knights shuttle loop if he were to be put in. The spring article could be used for... something. I don't know Sonic canon too well, but I feel there is some potential.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Smash Flash 2... ahh... I'm not sure how to describe that game, I'm so mixed on it.
But never go on those forums...never again...

So yeah, I think Knuckles would have Meta Knights shuttle loop if he were to be put in. The spring article could be used for... something. I don't know Sonic canon too well, but I feel there is some potential.
On the one hand, it's a Brawl clone... on the other, it's the best made-from-scratch fan-game of the SSB series. (Project M excluded, of course). Also, it's got some pretty interesting characters. It used Mega Man in an SSB game before SSB4 made it cool.

Also, Chibi-Robo's going to be in the next demo, so there's that.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Hmm, he looks interesting, but that video doesn't show off a lot of gadgets. What does he use mainly? Sorry to keep asking so many questions. :p

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hmm, he looks interesting, but that video doesn't show off a lot of gadgets. What does he use mainly? Sorry to keep asking so many questions. :p
Hang on, I found a better one, I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpOrXlzTzAM

He has a blaster as his B attack that sends enemies upward when the blast hits (he aims it at a downward angle in the air), as well as a couple that he uses in his Smash attacks. It looks like some kind of boxing glove on a machine arm? Not sure what it actually is. It's in the vid, though. There's also a Brawl PSA that has him use bombs, but those aren't in SSF2. And his Final Smash is the Tornado. Other than that, he mostly uses his tails and spin dash in SSF2.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
On the one hand, it's a Brawl clone... on the other, it's the best made-from-scratch fan-game of the SSB series. (Project M excluded, of course). Also, it's got some pretty interesting characters. It used Mega Man in an SSB game before SSB4 made it cool.

Also, Chibi-Robo's going to be in the next demo, so there's that.
I like that they are representing those "smaller" Nintendo franchises, though i'm not a fan of 4th party charcters.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I like that they are representing those "smaller" Nintendo franchises, though i'm not a fan of 4th party charcters.
They don't have any 4th party actually, just 3rd. They said they'll only use character that have been on a Nintendo system before, which all of them have. 4th Party would be something that isn't even on a Nintendo console, I believe, like Master Chief or Crash.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
They don't have any 4th party actually, just 3rd. They said they'll only use character that have been on a Nintendo system before, which all of them have. 4th Party would be something that isn't even on a Nintendo console, I believe, like Master Chief or Crash.
Master Chief for clo*shot*...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think the opposite. Tails is more of the more interesting Sonic characters to me, because I find rival characters to be typical and boring. Not to mention, I feel like Tails has a wider moveset potential than Knuckles does because of all the gadgets and devices he can build and use. Blasters, bombs, that thing he uses in SSF2 that resembles a boxing glove of some kind (not sure what it's called). Plus his tail-based abilities like tail whips and flying, and a perfect Final Smash that's not just another Super Form in the Tornado, which could easily be cloned from Snake's.

Of course, that may be why they chose Knuckles. All things considered, a clone more similar and less unique to the original takes less work. They've already got unique characters in Isaac and Skull Kid, and possibly Sami and Lyn, so it makes sense, really.
It's a massive stretch to call Knuckles Sonic's rival, because he isn't, at least not anymore. I don't like generally care for rivals besides the more villainous kind, like Metal Sonic or Venom. Friendly rivalries are overdone, I much prefer the kind where one "rival" is trying to destroy the other for one reason or another.

If anything, he's the "Toad" of the franchise, the one they bring along when Mario (Sonic) and Luigi (Tails) are already involved or otherwise occupied. I like Knuckles because he does his own thing, he's never been especially annoying, and he represents what is by far the greatest Sonic game to ever exist (S3&K).

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
My bad! but yeah my point is that i don't like the anime character, but they can do what they want.
Also the Dracula's Castle Stage looks very inspired from the one in Project: M, i see what they did there.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If Super Smash Flash 2 is the one with Naruto and whatever anime character the kids are getting off to these days, then it does, in fact, have 4th party characters. Master Chief is a 1st Party of Microsoft, while Crash is a 3rd Party with more of a relation to Sony. Crash has appeared on Nintendo consoles, so he would be more viable than anime/cartoon characters.

The term "4th Party" is a fan-created term used to refer to a character who is from another medium, which would refer to characters like Naruto or Bleachman or Goku or Mr. Incredible or whoever else. My main problem with all of these flash games is that they forget that Smash is about Nintendo.

My bad! but yeah my point is that i don't like the anime character, but they can do what they want.
Also the Dracula's Castle Stage looks very inspired from the one in Project: M, i see what they did there.
It wasn't your bad, just a misunderstanding.

Shin F.

Smash Master
If Super Smash Flash 2 is the one with Naruto and whatever anime character the kids are getting off to these days, then it does, in fact, have 4th party characters. Master Chief is a 1st Party of Microsoft, while Crash is a 3rd Party with more of a relation to Sony. Crash has appeared on Nintendo consoles.

The term "4th Party" is a fan-created term used to refer to a character who is from another medium, which would refer to characters like Naruto or Bleachman or Goku or Mr. Incredible or whoever else.

It wasn't your bad.
Ah, my bad then. Still, they don't use any 4th party characters unless they've been in a Nintendo console game, so I would still call them 3rd party. At the very least, they're keeping them to a minimum. There's only like 3 of them, I think.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ah, my bad then. Still, they don't use any 4th party characters unless they've been in a Nintendo console game, so I would still call them 3rd party. At the very least, they're keeping them to a minimum. There's only like 3 of them, I think.
It's their game, they can do what they want to it. :p

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Hang on, I found a better one, I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpOrXlzTzAM

He has a blaster as his B attack that sends enemies upward when the blast hits (he aims it at a downward angle in the air), as well as a couple that he uses in his Smash attacks. It looks like some kind of boxing glove on a machine arm? Not sure what it actually is. It's in the vid, though. There's also a Brawl PSA that has him use bombs, but those aren't in SSF2. And his Final Smash is the Tornado. Other than that, he mostly uses his tails and spin dash in SSF2.
All right, that's kinda cool. If they could implement that, I'd be intrigued. I still think there are better choices, and my personal preference is still Knuckles, but Tails could be fun.

How is SSF, by the way? Does it have controller support? How's the balance and character selection? I've never paid it much attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom