• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
All right, that's kinda cool. If they could implement that, I'd be intrigued. I still think there are better choices, and my personal preference is still Knuckles, but Tails could be fun.

How is SSF, by the way? Does it have controller support? How's the balance and character selection? I've never paid it much attention.
You can set its controls to any key on the keyboard, and use an app like joy2keys to assign the keys to buttons on the controller. It's still in progress, and I believe the current demo has 25 characters or so. The next demo is going to be adding Marth, ZSS and Chibi Robo as well as special brawls and an Online mode. I haven't played with others very often, so I'm not quite sure about balance, but it was at Apex this year, so take that how you will.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You can set its controls to any key on the keyboard, and use an app like joy2keys to assign the keys to buttons on the controller. It's still in progress, and I believe the current demo has 25 characters or so. The next demo is going to be adding Marth, ZSS and Chibi Robo as well as special brawls and an Online mode. I haven't played with others very often, so I'm not quite sure about balance, but it was at Apex this year, so take that how you will.
Wow, I'm impressed they managed to get that at Apex! O_o Well, I'll look into it. I have a friend to play with as well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So, has the clone thing been officially deconfirmed?
I have absolutely no idea. I'm so confused! :drshrug:

Really hoping it's true though. All of those choices are so...good! (Granted, Knuckles is slightly objectionable, but I still find him the least objectionable Sonic character they could go with. And easy to clone. )

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of the Knuckles debate, wouldn't Dr. Robotnik/Eggman or Tails better fulfill a new Sonic character representation? They have greater seniority and more involvement with the plot and gameplay of most Sonic games, not to mention the superior moveset potential of both characters with gadgets and other inventions in mind. Tails' incarnation in SSF2 is a great example of this possibility, and also demonstrates how much can be reused from Sonic in Brawl/P:M clone engine-wise.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Eh, I like the idea of Knuckles. I think he offers the most out of Sonic's rivals. Shadow's nice and all, but he would be a little too much of a clone, and I'd imagine some of the changes would be similar to knuckles (slower, more knockback) anyways. Tails would be projectile heavy and would have to be cloned from like snake or samus, which seems odd to me. Knuckles can provide the power increase clone that shadow would and he would fly like tails would.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Aren't the Chao more like the Toads of the Sonic series? Sonic's the Mario, Tails is the Luigi, Amy is the Peach, Shadow is the Wario, Eggman's the Bowser, Knuckles is the.... uh, um... Donkey Kong? Old rival turned friend? Sounds right.
Basically how I see it. If Sonic's getting a character I'd like Tails more than anyone else. And unlike the Chao, you can picture Toad fighting with a little imagination.

Not that either characters are likely at this point.

Arteen

Smash Lord
You know which games Tails uses gadgets in? The bad ones.

Tails with a gadget-based moveset sounds really lame. Robotnik sounds like a pretty awful choice too. He fights with Eggmobile, not random gadgets.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Tails would be projectile heavy and would have to be cloned from like snake or samus, which seems odd to me.
For the record, this is not necessarily the case. There's a pretty decent Tails based on Meta Knight on the Vault, and it works pretty well. Just one or two articles for a blast from his blaster and a bomb would be more than enough, and even the second isn't really necessary. Any character with just 1 or 2 articles is enough. The rest of his devices aren't projectiles and don't need to act on their own, so they don't need to be articles at all. Even Sonic (with just his spring) would suffice.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace

Tails with a gadget-based moveset sounds really lame. Robotnik sounds like a pretty awful choice too. He fights with Eggmobile, not random gadgets.
Sonic Fighters (the gba game), Sonic Chronicles, and Sonic Adventure 2. :I
If they didn't have his megaman like gun, it wouldn't feel like Tails to me...

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Sonic Fighters (the gba game), Sonic Chronicles, and Sonic Adventure 2. :I
I never played Sonic Fighters, but Chronicles is awful and the Tails sections of Sonic Adventure 2 are lame, especially given how fun they were in the first Adventure.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Just because a game is bad doesn't mean great moveset potential can't be derived from it. I haven't played any of the games Gen Epic listed, but I'm sure you would be able to find something fun about Tails that could stay fun in Project M.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Sonic Fighters (the gba game)
I want to cut your tongue out SO badly right now...

No. Sonic the Fighters is the arcade fighting game.

Sonic Battle is the GBA fighting game.

And yeah, I'd much prefer any move resources be taken from that game for anyone who was in it. I don't wanna see another ****ty moveset based off of the Sonic the Fighters game like how Sonic's is. Sonic Battle is the better game of the two anyway. >_>

Needs more Sonic Battle.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Why would I want Tails to have a bunch of moves that remind me of his bad games?

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I want to cut your tongue out SO badly right now...

No. Sonic the Fighters is the arcade fighting game.

Sonic Battle is the GBA fighting game.

And yeah, I'd much prefer any move resources be taken from that game for anyone who was in it. I don't wanna see another ****ty moveset based off of the Sonic the Fighters game like how Sonic's is. Sonic Battle is the better game of the two anyway. >_>

Needs more Sonic Battle.
That's why I put the GBA Game, because the names are kinda similar. Either way, **** the card system, I played that game forever and still didn't get all the **** I wanted. I liked the game, but getting the freaking God cards was impossible. I only got like 4.
But if battle moves can be derived from sonic fighters or battle, then by all means, go for it. Take from everything you can... except for Sonic 2006...

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Two Advance Wars characters would be less offensive than one Sonic character.

However, if we have to get Knuckles, make him a fast faller, low jump height, yellow spring for decreased vertical recovery. It's canon.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Two Advance Wars characters would be less offensive than one Sonic character.

However, if we have to get Knuckles, make him a fast faller, low jump height, yellow spring for decreased vertical recovery. It's canon.
I kinda hope he has a really bad recovery but a nasty game. Like, I really want him to be the falco of hte close relationship.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
On the one hand, I would be fine with all five characters included in the "leak" (I was a major supporter or Sami, and I believe I was the first to bring up Skull Kid in this thread - after I was the first to suggest Vaati and we all know how that didn't pan out. I was won over on Lyn because of the possibility of her being a Vergil/Setsuka-type character with fast strikes and an Iaido style, and I've always liked Isaac as a suggestion but wasn't particularly adamant on his place in my +1's. Knuckles is meh to me just because we could've gotten another Nintendo character when a third 3rd-party) On the other hand, I'm a little disappointed that Sukapon isn't the fifth character over Knuckles, because Sami, Skull Kid and Sukapon were my S-Tier wanted picks. Haha, that's just me, though, but if the "leak" does end up being true, then I really wish that they would've decided to tackle making Sukapon from scratch as like the final Clone Character and made a completely awesome moveset and character from him/her/it/wumbo (and it's not like planning a moveset would be hard considering that there was a completely sprited-out moveset for Sukapon as an Expansion Character in SSF2 that they could draw from; it's making the moves that'd be the difficult part, as they'd probably have to do basically everything from scratch).

But again, that's just me, haha. I'll accept Knuckles, and I'll probably even have fun playing him, but I just wish his slot could've gone to a Nintendo character (and for me personally, that character would be Sukapon).

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
One special is infantry, another is artillery. Sami and Andy have a buffed version of their respective specialties.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace

Putting all the characters next to each other really shows you how unique and varied the characters that were picked ended up being. While I'd rather have Saki instead of Knux, that's just me, I really have nothing wrong with the choices listed in the "leak".

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
People be ******** about Knuckles really aren't talking about why he would have a bad play-style, they are just complaining that they don't like Sonic or they don't like a third party character.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Isaac may be an interesting character, but I have to ask, does anyone actually like Golden Sun? Every impression I've heard is that it's just a mediocre JRPG.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Isaac may be an interesting character, but I have to ask, does anyone actually like Golden Sun? Every impression I've heard is that it's just a mediocre JRPG.
I love it. The battle system is really great, and it doesn't take itself overly seriously like many JRPGs.
People be *****ing about Knuckles really aren't talking about why he would have a bad play-style, they are just complaining that they don't like Sonic or they don't like a third party character.
Yup.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Every impression you've heard is wrong.

Even though it's just an opinion no matter what.

Golden Sun is awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom