• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
If Isaac and Lyn get made characters would it be possible for them to make some other characters assist trophies in their spots to replace them there?

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Duon, Metal Ridley, and Galleom.
I thought it was only Duon and Galleom. I haven't unlocked Boss Battles in regular Brawl yet so I can't check for myself(had to get a new Wii to play PM, totally worth it imo).

On the topic of Shadow, he's one of the few Sonic characters I can't stand, and I love the Sonic games. When we look at design and abilities, he's pretty cool. But look at his personality and dialogue and you've ruined it. "I'm so tormented my backstory is so tragic MARIA"
and then you see the rest of the cast and it's like a whole different world. Silver comes close but its not really his personal struggles it's his setting so he doesn't seem whiny and he's not trying too hard to be badass. Look at the main characters, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, and Amy. All fairly simple characters who fit into whatever situation, they have stock character roles, which work very well and have room for creativity, like the Mario crew. Then you have Shadow. My favorite Shadow from any Sonic game is Sonic and the Black Knight Shadow because it's not actually Shadow and they were able to use his really cool base model in a bearable way. While playing as Shadow would be cool the personality he would bring would ruin it, as it ruined him in the Sonic games.

Wow I didn't mean to rant so much sorry guys.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I thought it was only Duon and Galleom. I haven't unlocked Boss Battles in regular Brawl yet so I can't check for myself(had to get a new Wii to play PM, totally worth it imo).

I'll redo boss battles again, but I thought I heard some audio changes for Meta Ridley. I'll get back to you.

Edit: That was convenient. Meta Ridley was the first boss I came to. Definitely has some sound changes to him. Kinda sounds like a lightsaber sound effect. I assumed that was from Mewtwo. Could be the beam sword. Dunno. I'll play with Mewtwo to see if I can replicate the sound.

Edit 2: Wasn't Mewtwo. Kinda sounds like Beam Sword. Testing Boss Battles in vBrawl to see if I'm just misremembering Meta Ridley sounds.

Shin F.

Smash Master

On the topic of Shadow, he's one of the few Sonic characters I can't stand, and I love the Sonic games. When we look at design and abilities, he's pretty cool. But look at his personality and dialogue and you've ruined it. "I'm so tormented my backstory is so tragic MARIA"
and then you see the rest of the cast and it's like a whole different world. Silver comes close but its not really his personal struggles it's his setting so he doesn't seem whiny and he's not trying too hard to be badass. Look at the main characters, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, and Amy. All fairly simple characters who fit into whatever situation, they have stock character roles, which work very well and have room for creativity, like the Mario crew. Then you have Shadow. My favorite Shadow from any Sonic game is Sonic and the Black Knight Shadow because it's not actually Shadow and they were able to use his really cool base model in a bearable way. While playing as Shadow would be cool the personality he would bring would ruin it, as it ruined him in the Sonic games.

Wow I didn't mean to rant so much sorry guys.
No, please - do go on. I find myself agreeing with every word - including, incidentally, the one about Boss Battles. I played through it, and Meta Ridley seems to have his normal SFX. Though, it's hard to tell if something like, say, an explosion was replaced with another explosion effect.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Wasn't so lucky in the vBrawl run. Meta Ridley was 7th and definitely has modified audio between vBrawl and Project M. And it sounds similar to Beam Sword.

MLGF

Smash Lord
You know, a big benefit of Ridley would be that all the sounds he needs are literally already in game.
Just sayin'

Ginge

Smash Ace
You can just use the Sound Test and go to the Boss section and listen to their SFX there. No need to go through Boss Battles multiple times.
Again, I keep forgetting Sound Test is a thing because I NEVER use it ^^;;

Edit: I find it quicker to go through Boss Battles (4mins when I'm having a slow day) than looking through the 6 sets of Subspace Emissary Boss sound effects lists and listening for where Meta Ridley falls in the list. I also find it more noticeable when the sound effect is played repeatedly during the fight (like in the Duon fight when he dies and it sounds like Roy is getting thrashed over and over again). There's a drastic difference to the sounds Meta Ridley makes in the two versions of Boss Battles.

((It also doesn't hurt that Boss Battles was my favorite thing about Brawl so I enjoy playing through it))

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
After all this I feel like it would be a crime for the PMBR to not include Issac.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The only idea I have for Isaac's moveset is this: His Down-B or Down-Smash has an animation cloned from Ike's Eruption, except when he slams it into the ground we get a Charizard Earthquake effect. Good for edgeguards and tech-chases as per use and makes more sense canonically than Ike's Eruption attack.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You know, we're so eager for Ridley, but when it comes down to it we can only have him in Project M or Smash 4. Granted, we have no clue whether or not he'll be playable in SSB4, but considering the PMBR's cloning rules: which game would you prefer Ridley be playable in?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You know, we're so eager for Ridley, but when it comes down to it we can only have him in Project M or Smash 4. Granted, we have no clue whether or not he'll be playable in SSB4, but considering the PMBR's cloning rules: which game would you prefer Ridley be playable in?

That's a really tough choice. On the one hand, we can have a competitive-oriented Ridley, yet with many limitations hindering his full potential. On the other hand, there's the chance for a Rosalina-like creative moveset, but there's also the very real possibility of poor character design choices by the devs.

Honestly, I'd be happy either way, and having both would be so hype. There is no doubt however that the PMBR would do an extraordinary job with him, and seeing as Ridley's chances for SSB4 are not looking good with all that stage hazard business, PM might be his only chance to shine alongside fellow all-stars.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What's unfortunate is that the PMBR may not get a chance to work on Ridley for many months. However they may reveal his inclusion in SSB4, be it playability, AT, boss, stage hazard, etc., they could wait a very long time to do so. As such, development for him just cannot start yet—not without risk of violating their cloning rules.

At this point, any more characters would simply be bonus. Mewtwo and Roy are amazing enough as is. I expect nothing more for PM than some character tweaking, maybe new stages/refining of existing stages, and maybe some new music. They've given us so much as is, I feel bad 'asking' for anything else.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Ok so what happens if,lets say PM released a character then a couple months later Smash 4 announced them.

Do we need to take the character out of PM or what?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Agreed. If anything, they would most probably go for polishing and finalizing the game before even thinking about adding new chars. I would already be more-than-satisfied if 3.0 was the final release.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I feel like they'll wait to make new guys until Smash 4 is released just to be safe. Unless they're making a removed character, as was the case with Mewtwo and Roy.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Ok so what happens if,lets say PM released a character then a couple months later Smash 4 announced them.

Do we need to take the character out of PM or what?

That's a terrible situation to be in. I think they should probably work to avoid that situation. Probably come up with a list of the 5 (if not, at least 3) choices and then start work on the safest ones for now. A few months should pass anyways and Smash 4's roster should hopefully be mostly revealed...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So nobody what they would do?

The PMBR has to have a plan for this situation.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My understanding was that they didn't care if, say, they made Ridley (or any character) first, and it turned out they were in Smash 4.

I mean, if he turned up right now, they couldn't really cause a fuss about it, because we have no idea if Ridley is actually IN Smash 4.

Though granted, it would probably be safest to do a character like Lyn first, (mayb Bowser Jr. If they decide to go that route?) just because Ridley, Isaac and the DK newcomers are much more likely to show seemingly. Just to play it safe, because I've been wrong before.

Shin F.

Smash Master
My understanding was that they didn't care if, say, they made Ridley (or any character) first, and it turned out they were in Smash 4.
That was my impression, as well - that they wouldn't work on anyone already revealed, but if someone was already part of P:M, they wouldn't take them out just because they were later revealed for Smash 4.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Okay, so I'm kind of late here but y'all are wrong about Shadow. He's not a cliched dark/evil version of Sonic. His backstory doesn't even have anything to do with Sonic. Metal Sonic is the cliched dark/evil version of Sonic. Shadow's actually one of the more developed Sonic characters, and one of the better written ones as well. If you call Shadow bland and generic, then you have to call everyone in Sonic bland and generic. Except for Eggman. He's awesome.

Arteen

Smash Lord
After all this I feel like it would be a crime for the PMBR to not include Issac.
As popular as Isaac is, and as fitting as he'd be on the roster, his inclusion heavily depends on whether anyone on the Project M team actually cares for Golden Sun. Even if Isaac's the most popular choice by a wide margin (which he is), I can't imagine the Project M team devoting hundreds of hours into character they're all indifferent towards. It's a fan mod after all, so the characters they're passionate about will come first.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Okay, so I'm kind of late here but y'all are wrong about Shadow. He's not a cliched dark/evil version of Sonic. His backstory doesn't even have anything to do with Sonic. Metal Sonic is the cliched dark/evil version of Sonic. Shadow's actually one of the more developed Sonic characters, and one of the better written ones as well. If you call Shadow bland and generic, then you have to call everyone in Sonic bland and generic. Except for Eggman. He's awesome.
Yes generally all Sonic characters are generic. So are generally all existing Nintendo characters. Mario is the generic platformer hero, Link is the generic swordsman (along with a majority of Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and various Nintendo characters), Samus is a generic armored space warrior. The list goes on. Simplicity is best.

But bland?... that is dependant on personal preference. If people think Shadow is bland let them. He is marked the 25th most popular video game character for a reason.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't know why people keep forgetting that the PM team says that they won't be inhibited about what characters "might" show up for Smash 4.

JediLink

Smash Ace
This isn't really important or related or anything but I just noticed a mistake in the OP. For Dixie Kong, it says her first appearance was "Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest". That's not actually what the game's called. It's "Diddy's Kong Quest", as a pun on "conquest". But everyone reads it wrong and calls it Diddy Kong's Quest. Such a waste of a perfectly good pun...

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

I think I'd rather see him come into PM. As great as the creativity in Smash 4 looks, Sakurai has been notoriously bad about balancing heavy characters. Ganondorf in Brawl.... yeesh, what a nightmare. My concern would be that Ridley joins Smash 4 and is then one of the most underwhelming, unplayable characters in the series.

Judging by the love Samus got in 3.0, the PM team would do just the opposite.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think a problem with some Ridley SFX, is that some are too long, that's maybe why Lucas doesn't say "PK Freeze!" when doing his side-b, but the alternative would be getting sounds from Prime 1 or 3 perhaps, i may be wrong thinking that could be an issue though.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
This isn't really important or related or anything but I just noticed a mistake in the OP. For Dixie Kong, it says her first appearance was "Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest". That's not actually what the game's called. It's "Diddy's Kong Quest", as a pun on "conquest". But everyone reads it wrong and calls it Diddy Kong's Quest. Such a waste of a perfectly good pun...

Not much I can do about that. I didn't make the picture :p

Spire

III
BRoomer
Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and to a much lesser extent Robotnik are the only viable Sonic characters—and they are literally the least popular. Other Sonic characters have no chance. She's more interesting to me than a lot of Sonic characters, but she doesn't have much going for her.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I like Blaze a lot, but I wouldn't want her playable. Seriously, if characters as vital as Tails, Knuckles and Shadow have been downvoted this hard, I doubt Blaze stands a chance.
How about Emerl then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom