• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
How about Emerl then?
Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and to a much lesser extent Robotnik are the only viable Sonic characters—and they are literally the least popular. Other Sonic characters have no chance. She's more interesting to me than a lot of Sonic characters, but she doesn't have much going for her.
This statement here applies to 90% of all Sonic characters. If it's not Tails, Knuckles, Shadow or Eggman, they have no place in Smash, and even then, they're low priority.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
This statement here applies to 90% of all Sonic characters. If it's not Tails, Knuckles, Shadow or Eggman, they have no place in Smash, and even then, they're low priority.
I feel like Amy is also a viable choice considering she's one of the few "classic" era Sonic characters still in the main cast. Shadow's only viable due to "popularity". As far as relevance to the Sonic series, he really hasn't been since '06. What was his last game? The Black Knight? Generations doesn't count because he was pretty much a cameo.
I really like Blaze, she brings a nice personality to the games she's in. I don't think she's viable for Smash, but if the other 5 weren't available she'd be near the top of the list right with Metal Sonic and Vector.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I feel like Amy is also a viable choice considering she's one of the few "classic" era Sonic characters still in the main cast. Shadow's only viable due to "popularity". As far as relevance to the Sonic series, he really hasn't been since '06. What was his last game? The Black Knight? Generations doesn't count because he was pretty much a cameo.
I really like Blaze, she brings a nice personality to the games she's in. I don't think she's viable for Smash, but if the other 5 weren't available she'd be near the top of the list right with Metal Sonic and Vector.
Maybe, but I still wouldn't put her before Tails and Knuckles.

I'm not trolling dude. Can people please get off my back?... as a Sonic fan I honestly just want another character.
Then pick one that's actually important and well-liked and argue for them. If you want a Sonic character, Tails is your best bet. He's got the most up-votes and the least down-votes of any of the relevant Sonic characters.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Maybe, but I still wouldn't put her before Tails and Knuckles.
I wouldn't say that, no. Tails is definitely the best bet here.

Then pick one that's actually important and well-liked and argue for them. If you want a Sonic character, Tails is your best bet. He's got the most up-votes and the least down-votes of any of the relevant Sonic characters.
^^^^^^

Ginge

Smash Ace
I enjoyed Emerl. Coming from the Sonic fighting game (don't remember the name, but I remember loving it for some reason), the fact that he could take aspects from other characters and make a unique fight style was cool. However. There is no way he would beat out Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Robotnik, Amy, Metal Sonic, or even Big The Cat.

It's a sad truth, but it is what it is. That's not to say that a fan made skin or character won't be created. I know there was a pretty decent Shadow last time I looked (2 years ago) that wasn't just a skin. But that wasn't for P:M.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who wished Tails was the main character of the Sonic series anyway? He's not trying hard to be cool like Sonic is past the Genesis days and he's got a "what a cute kid" sort of vibe to him. Plus he's OP as all heck in both Sonic 2 and 3. If any Sonic character got in, I'd want it to be him or Eggman.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who wished Tails was the main character of the Sonic series anyway? He's not trying hard to be cool like Sonic is past the Genesis days and he's got a "what a cute kid" sort of vibe to him. Plus he's OP as all heck in both Sonic 2 and 3. If any Sonic character got in, I'd want it to be him or Eggman.
See, I reallllllly liked Tails... until I played Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Dear god, that robot suit. I'd have much rather controlled his flight freely.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Okay, so I'm kind of late here but y'all are wrong about Shadow. He's not a cliched dark/evil version of Sonic. His backstory doesn't even have anything to do with Sonic. Metal Sonic is the cliched dark/evil version of Sonic. Shadow's actually one of the more developed Sonic characters, and one of the better written ones as well. If you call Shadow bland and generic, then you have to call everyone in Sonic bland and generic. Except for Eggman. He's awesome.

Haven't you ever heard of Generic the Animal? Everyone thinks Sonic characters are terribly bland and generic. It's a reoccurring joke within gaming culture.

Okay then. Real talk. I want to hear opinions on Big the Cat.
fix'd

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I voted for Shadow. I'm staying firm on that vote.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm not a big fan of the Sonic series, but **** Tails, Knuckles is da best. Despite being in Sonic 1, there was never a "Sonic & Tails". Tails was always a sidekick. Knuckles was the first true counterpart to Sonic, possessing a similar build, being opposingly colored (red vs. blue), and purporting a rival attitude. Knuckles went hard back in the day. Now he's as much a sidekick as Tails because Shadow kicked him out of the limelight.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
See, I reallllllly liked Tails... until I played Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Dear god, that robot suit. I'd have much rather controlled his flight freely.

Ugh I hated that too. But to be fair I don't like the 3D Sonic games that much anyway, it's understandable they'd mess with some characters like that.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm not a big fan of the Sonic series, but **** Tails, Knuckles is da best. Despite being in Sonic 1, there was never a "Sonic & Tails". Tails was always a sidekick. Knuckles was the first true counterpart to Sonic, possessing a similar build, being opposingly colored (red vs. blue), and purporting a rival attitude. Knuckles went hard back in the day. Now he's as much a sidekick as Tails because Shadow kicked him out of the limelight.
If that is what you think then you are sadly mistaken. Metal Sonic came before Knuckles and Eggman before both.

Shin F.

Smash Master
But Sonic and Tails were the ones rumored to be playable in Melee by beating 20 cruel wireframes. Besides, I like Tails precisely because he's the sidekick.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But Sonic and Tails were the ones rumored to be playable in Melee by beating 20 cruel wireframes. Besides, I like Tails precisely because he's the sidekick.
Eggman came first and was the definitive villain of the series. He has more priority than Tails, all day everyday.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I know any Sonic character at all have lower chances then Waluigi being accepted as official addition (sans that mod that someone is making of a Project M viable Waluigi) for Project M at this point.

But really. Just look at Mario's own representatives. We got Luigi (The sidekick, character played as by the 2nd player) before Bowser (the main villain, Sonic counter part is Eggman), Peach (female damsel-in-distress, Sonic counterpart is Amy Rose), and Wario (rival character, Sonic counterpart is both Knuckles AND Shadow). If there's any room at all for a 2nd Sonic character. It should follow the same basic rules. And Tails is the first in line because of this formula.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I also have to say, even though it's just a fan made game (just like P:M), Tails in SSF2 is pretty damn fun. If you want to play a decent form of Tails, there is always that. Great horizontal recovery and that B.air is one of the best damn concepts I've ever seen in an aerial. Also that D.air, god that godly D.air.

Honestly, tails has always been the Sonic character I've enjoyed the most out of the cast, with Knuckles being an EXTREMELY close second (hell, I still have my Knuckles plush from when I was 6). If they were to introduce a Sonic character, I'd hope for it to be one of those two.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Eggman came first and was the definitive villain of the series. He has more priority than Tails, all day everyday.
I never said he didn't. I just said that I personally liked Tails because he's the sidekick, that he's currently the highest ranked Sonic character in votes, and that he was rumored to be in Melee. Having said that, he has higher priority than just about anyone. I'd say he's about equal to Eggman and a fair bit higher than Amy, Knuckles and Shadow. They are higher than Metal Sonic. No one else is even worth considering.

Edit:
Just look at Mario's own representatives. We got Luigi (The sidekick, character played as by the 2nd player) before Bowser (the main villain, Sonic counter part is Eggman), Peach (female damsel-in-distress, Sonic counterpart is Amy Rose), and Wario (rival character, Sonic counterpart is both Knuckles AND Shadow). If there's any room at all for a 2nd Sonic character. It should follow the same basic rules. And Tails is the first in line because of this formula.
^ This.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I know any Sonic character at all have lower chances then Waluigi being accepted as official addition (sans that mod that someone is making of a Project M viable Waluigi) for Project M at this point.

But really. Just look at Mario's own representatives. We got Luigi (The sidekick, character played as by the 2nd player) before Bowser (the main villain, Sonic counter part is Eggman), Peach (female damsel-in-distress, Sonic counterpart is Amy Rose), and Wario (rival character, Sonic counterpart is both Knuckles AND Shadow). If there's any room at all for a 2nd Sonic character. It should follow the same basic rules. And Tails is the first in line because of this formula.
Just because the Mario series did something, doesn't mean everything should follow suit. The reason it is like that is because:

-Luigi was established as a character in Mario Bros.
-Peach and Bowser were established in Super Mario Bros.
-Yoshi got his own game, meriting his inclusion its own series.

If that logic applies to Sonic, that means Eggman comes first, follows by Tails, Amy and Metal, Knuckles, and lastly Shadow.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Just because the Mario series did something, doesn't mean everything should follow suit. The reason it is like that is because:

If that logic applies to Sonic, that means Eggman comes first, follows by Tails, Amy and Metal, Knuckles, and lastly Shadow.
While that could also be true, the other reasoning is more convenient here because this is the CLONE Engine and Tails would be a lot easier to make than Eggman.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
While that could also be true, the other reasoning is more convenient here because this is the CLONE Engine and Tails would be a lot easier to make than Eggman.
Which by that logic means Shadow > Tails. Your point? Just because a Sonic character is added doesn't mean it has to be a clone of Sonic himself.

SonicMario

Smash Master

The thing is, it's not just series relevancy that helps Tails over the other characters. He'd also be easier to make in comparison to Eggman in the Clone Engine in the 0.1% chance that Project M allows a 2nd Sonic character in. A Luigified Sonic in terms of a few of his moves, while giving him the aerial maneuverability that I believe was given to Charizard or Pit for example.

With Eggman you have to be very creative. And would thus take a larger amount of work then it could otherwise. Bowser and Peach were both considerations for SSB64 at one point in development. But due to limitations they had to wait until Melee to get playable. While Luigi was much easier to implement because it was making just a slightly different Mario (Since Luigi in 64 was more of a clone then he was in either Melee or Brawl).

(I know ArticFox beat me to the punch, but thought I'd give mine anyway xP)

Which by that logic means Shadow > Tails. Your point? Just because a Sonic character is added doesn't mean it has to be a clone of Sonic himself.
But that's just moving the argument to just one point and not thinking about both. Tails fills both quotas, a relevent Sonic character that's high-up there in important. And a very doable moveset by Luigifying Sonic and adding some flair to it thanks to some of the other characters in the game that have aerial-based movesets.

Shin F.

Smash Master

There's another consideration here, too. Tails can be more easily cloned than Eggman.

Also, villains seem to have lower priority in general than heroes when it comes to Smash. It's not just Mario that puts the sidekick or a secondary hero in there before a villain who appeared sooner. Look at Earthbound. We get Lucas instead of Porky. Look at Fire Emblem. We get Roy and Ike instead of whoever the villain from the first game there is. Look at Metroid. We get Zero Suit Samus instead of Ridley.

Seniority of a character is very important, but it's not the end-all-be-all, else we'd have Pauline be playable. Neither is a character's popularity, otherwise Geno would be playable. Neither is a character's cloneability, else we'd have Dark Samus be playable. You can't just look at one aspect of a set of characters and choose from that. You have to take everything into account. I'm not saying Eggman's a bad choice. He'd work. But Tails would work better.

No, it doesn't. Shadow and Tails would be equally cloneable, but Tails has seniority. Yes, Eggman has more seniority than even that, but Tails is cloneable.

Eggman = Senior character
Shadow = Cloneable
Tails = Senior character AND Cloneable

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
That's a terrible situation to be in. I think they should probably work to avoid that situation. Probably come up with a list of the 5 (if not, at least 3) choices and then start work on the safest ones for now. A few months should pass anyways and Smash 4's roster should hopefully be mostly revealed...
which is why Pichu should be made first

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind SSF2 Tails in PM. He couldn't be cloned off of Sonic because he has a projectile, but he could be based on Luigi.
Otherwise a flying Sonic sounds scary. They could make him super light. Or make him fall fast, he is a fox afterall.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ugh...alright I give. You guys keep making up your own guidelines and rules. I'm going to be the majority that will absolutely not be satisfied by any further character inclusions at this point. I'll go back to playing my bottom tier nerfed Sonic.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Ugh...alright I give. You guys keep making up your own guidelines and rules. I'm going to be the majority that will absolutely not be satisfied by any further character inclusions at this point. I'll go back to playing my bottom tier nerfed Sonic.
We never shot you down, we said Tails is your best case to argue for a Sonic character.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind SSF2 Tails in PM. He couldn't be cloned off of Sonic because he has a projectile, but he could be based on Luigi.
Otherwise a flying Sonic sounds scary. They could make him super light. Or make him fall fast, he is a fox afterall.
Well, doesn't Sonic's spring count as an article?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm just frustrated okay? I've yet to see a character in P:M that I actually personally want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom