• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Well then if we don't count pros or cons based on representation, people will want to, and if we do, certain people WONT want to.

Everyone really needs to agree on whether or not it matters. We could put it to a vote...

Didn't mean to pseudo-yell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVke__4OZ-0

It's more of a matter of weight. Some people think it's important. Other think it's not. People have different thresholds. I think most of us would be upset if all five slots went to Mother characters, for example. Or even if three of them were Mother characters. So it exists, but the question is how much. And there's really no point in arguing that because people weigh it differently.

Personally I think it shouldn't be the main reason for inclusion. I also don't think a character's moveset should be the main reason either because ANY character can have a good moveset. That's why these things are all factors, and yet people want to look at individual factors and make them the end-all-be-all ("THIS CHARACTER HAS A COOL MOVESET"), when that's really not how we should be looking at things.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
It's more of a matter of weight. Some people think it's important. Other think it's not. People have different thresholds. I think most of us would be upset if all five slots went to Mother characters, for example. Or even if three of them were Mother characters. So it exists, but the question is how much. And there's really no point in arguing that because people weigh it differently.

Personally I think it shouldn't be the main reason for inclusion. I also don't think a character's moveset should be the main reason either because ANY character can have a good moveset. That's why these things are all factors, and yet people want to look at individual factors and make them the end-all-be-all ("THIS CHARACTER HAS A COOL MOVESET"), when that's really not how we should be looking at things.
That makes sense.

I also don't think a character's moveset should be the main reason either because ANY character can have a good moveset. That's why these things are all factors, and yet people want to look at individual factors and make them the end-all-be-all ("THIS CHARACTER HAS A COOL MOVESET"), when that's really not how we should be looking at things.
Now that's not necessarily true for every character out there, I mean there are some characters out there that have very weak moveset potential and people want them anyway.

Then again, I was the one who created the full fledged Sandbag moveset.

k i'm done.

Shin F.

Smash Master

As a Mother fan, I would personally be upset if more than one new slot went to Mother, to be honest. In fact, I'd be upset if more than one slot went to almost any series. Whoever gets added via Clone Engine should be fairly diverse. I'd make exceptions for Pokemon and Fire Emblem since the first two slots went to bringing back Melee characters, but any more than one from those series beyond Roy and Mewtwo would be too much.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Honestly, v3.0 added so many great characters that I'm fine with any additions they decide to make from here on out :bubblebobble:

Just Lyndis would make my inner fanboy reach hype levels that cannot be contained by anything less than titanium wrist straps.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
You know, I think my Fire Emblem love would be sated with a Smash game of just Fire Emblem characters of the various classes. Lords get unique entries, repeat classes can have skins for the various incarnations of the class :p

I'd probably have the most fun with the mage classes. Or the overpowered Tactician from Awakening (Magic + Swords + can have skills from any class... He/She could arguably be the Kirby / Random play style character of the game)

In my wildest dreams, this is a thing that exists. :D I like to imagine it with a Melee-sized roster, and any character that doesn't make the cut as playable is an assist trophy and jumps out FE12 style, with their face flashing across the screen, to do their critical strike. :D

But yeah, that would be amazing.

Honestly? There's a few series that could really take a smash-style game far. Pokemon and Zelda also come to mind. Heck, with Pokemon you could have a roster of 40 and you still wouldn't cover all of them. XD

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Honestly, v3.0 added so many great characters that I'm fine with any additions they decide to make from here on out :bubblebobble:

Just Lyndis would make my inner fanboy reach hype levels that cannot be contained by anything less than titanium wrist straps.
And the :bubblebobble: Army grows ever stronger.......

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm curious.

Why do so many people want Lyn? I've never played a Fire Emblem game and typically couldn't care less for the inclusion of more characters thereof, but she has a TON of support. There are certain characters I'm rooting for that I understand because I've grown attached over many, many years. Is Lyn considered not just a popular FE character, but a popular Nintendo character? Or is her support really only strong in the Smash Bros. community?

Fire Emblem 7 was a first entry to the FE series to a lot of people including me. Her story (which was pretty much a tutorial but also a tale of revenge) was what drew me in back when I played it as a teen. Eliwood and Hector were the main lords of the later story but to me, it was Lyn and Hector that mattered. Eliwood was simply uninteresting to me (Sorry Eliwood fans). Those two were the dynamic lord duo doing my work while I had Eliwood somewhere in the back, guarded to prevent a game over. I played FE7 religiously back in Jr. High and Lyn, Hector, and Canas (RIP) were the characters that stuck out for me pass the end of the game. I guess my reasons for wanting Lyn are more of nostalgia/favoritism seeing as she was the first Lord to start off in my first entry into the FE series. I'd love to see Hector too but as the current poll shows it doesn't look good for him.

Also ManlySpirit has a concept move-set for Lyn: http://smashboards.com/threads/clon...iscussion-thread.341479/page-13#post-15937738

About her design...If she was chosen to be in P:M, her FE13 look could be her alt.

Shin F.

Smash Master
In my wildest dreams, this is a thing that exists. :D I like to imagine it with a Melee-sized roster, and any character that doesn't make the cut as playable is an assist trophy and jumps out FE12 style, with their face flashing across the screen, to do their critical strike. :D

But yeah, that would be amazing.

Honestly? There's a few series that could really take a smash-style game far. Pokemon and Zelda also come to mind. Heck, with Pokemon you could have a roster of 40 and you still wouldn't cover all of them. XD
I have thought of there being a Zelda game like this before - each Link having their own styles with items from their games would be awesome! In fact, I mocked up a character select screen for it once XD I'll have to see if I can find that thing to show it off, it was pretty fun.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
As a Mother fan, I would personally be upset if more than one new slot went to Mother, to be honest. In fact, I'd be upset if more than one slot went to almost any series. Whoever gets added via Clone Engine should be fairly diverse. I'd make exceptions for Pokemon and Fire Emblem since the first two slots went to bringing back Melee characters, but any more than one from those series beyond Roy and Mewtwo would be too much.

It's funny - I generally agree with that, except when it comes to the DK series. If they did both Dixie and K. Rool I'd be really happy. Naturally I'm being incredibly biased here! But that's the only doubling up that would feel right to me.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I'm curious.

Why do so many people want Lyn? I've never played a Fire Emblem game and typically couldn't care less for the inclusion of more characters thereof, but she has a TON of support. There are certain characters I'm rooting for that I understand because I've grown attached over many, many years. Is Lyn considered not just a popular FE character, but a popular Nintendo character? Or is her support really only strong in the Smash Bros. community?

She was made into an Assist Trophy so I take it she was popular even before Brawl. From my understanding, she was one of the protagonists in the first western Fire Emblem release—the same game that Roy debuted in. Was this the game that skyrocketed her popularity? I'd really appreciate some fans' explanations about her voluptuous background as I've just been left in the dark.

Thanks.

Edit: I really dig her FE Awakening appearance, and if she were to be created for Project M, I'd rally for that look instead of her banal AT design. She also apparently wields a bow, so a split Katana/Bow moveset could be really healthy for the saturated sword market in Smash... even though Link, Toon Link, and Pit have that covered... I really want to support her, but damnit she just seems so redundant. At least she's female. We need more female characters.
I got nothing.
Lyn's a pretty bland lord who is the main character of a game before quickly becoming unimportant for the actual story, in which she could be taken out without any trouble. Heck, she's the only lord in her game which isn't a bonus character in Roy's game.
So yeah, she's pretty much the most useless FE Lord in history in terms of story. She's the main character of the tutorial, which really drags on. But she's a girl and has some cool sprite animations, so she has fans.
Ironically, she's easily the worst out of the three. Hector and Eliwood are both durable enough to survive enemy phase, Lyn... not so much. You literally get 2 units directly before and after her that does her job, but better.
Generally, most people I see support her either never played a Fire Emblem, or only played her game.

Anyways, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are both way better then Lyn's game. Better pacing, better map design, better music, and a way better story. seriously... http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27311

OK, Lyn rant done. If you voted for Lyn and never played an FE... why? If you did vote Lyn and played her game... how do you not remember how superfluous she was?

OK, rant done.

Ginge

Smash Ace
A full roster of Pokemon characters would be insane. Imagine if they could evolve with something like Pokemon Trainer's down-b. Perhaps evolutions can only be unlocked in a round by getting experience (landing hits / getting kills).... Anyway, this probably isn't the place to discuss Pokemon or Fire Emblem Brawlers...

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Can we just agree that if another FE character gets in, that they'll use magic? :I I'm tired of just the sword users. Heck, give me a pegasus route, I don't care, something besides just a sword, for the love of god...

Shin F.

Smash Master
It's funny - I generally agree with that, except when it comes to the DK series. If they did both Dixie and K. Rool I'd be really happy. Naturally I'm being incredibly biased here! But that's the only doubling up that would feel right to me.
I hadn't thought of that one, but I think I would be okay with it.

I wish sooo badly that Shulk was eligible.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I hadn't thought of that one, but I think I would be okay with it.

I wish sooo badly that Shulk was eligible.

Me too! I love him. Q_Q

I have thought of there being a Zelda game like this before - each Link having their own styles with items from their games would be awesome! In fact, I mocked up a character select screen for it once XD I'll have to see if I can find that thing to show it off, it was pretty fun.

Oh yeah, definitely post it if you can find it! : D That sounds awesome.

It'd be sick because you could really dive deep and get into all these interesting side-characters that probably don't have a chance of ever being in a main Smash game. All the villains like Skull Kid, different iterations of link like wolf Link and the MM forms... oo and Fierce Diety. Heck yeah! And people have been talking about Kafei in this thread, he could be playable too. You could even get some of the cooler sages, like Nabooru and Saria.... :D

MLGF

Smash Lord
Can we just agree that if another FE character gets in, that they'll use magic? :I I'm tired of just the sword users. Heck, give me a pegasus route, I don't care, something besides just a sword, for the love of god...
I'm for more weapon users. Like I said, the Black Knight would be a great sword user that offers something different. Lyn would off nothing more then being yet another Marth clone.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Me too! I love him. Q_Q

Oh yeah, definitely post it if you can find it! : D That sounds awesome.

It'd be sick because you could really dive deep and get into all these interesting side-characters that probably don't have a chance of ever being in a main Smash game. All the villains like Skull Kid, different iterations of link like wolf Link and the MM forms... oo and Fierce Diety. Heck yeah! And people have been talking about Kafei in this thread, he could be playable too. You could even get some of the cooler sages, like Nabooru and Saria.... :D
And Shulk would be so unique, too, being the only character with an awesome British accent. :D It would be awesome if they could implement a way so that using certain attacks from behind or above would do extra damage, just like in the game.

Nabooru would be soo awesome like that - yeah, it had all the sages on it with the idea they could all use their elements.

MLGF

Smash Lord
FE didn't get stickers of interesting characters, so don't count on any good potential characters.
Master Knight would hands down be the best option. Leif's moveset potential >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lyn's moveset potential.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Seriously though, if we add a new Pokemon it should be Dugtrio. Best aerial in the game. :love:

.... Ahem. As for Fire Emblem, the problem is the non-sword unit options aren't as popular characters. Is Hector even a sticker or trophy? Can we actually use him? Micaiah would be the only truly viable mage in the list. Sothe would be interesting in that he's a dagger user, not a SWORD per se. So you could use that for a different play style. And he was one of the mains for FE10, I guess...

MLGF

Smash Lord
All lords from the American localized games, and Roy, appear at least as a sticker in Brawl.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Hmm, apparently never got the Hector sticker then... Oh well.

Ninian would be the best choice for FE. We can dance people to death while also increasing the female roster.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oh hey, I'd be down for Sothe. That sounds like an interesting playstyle. Sheik with a dagger? Oh jawd.

Actually, now I'm kinda struggling to figure out how that's different. XD Maybe much less emphasis on kicks? The tilts could all be different, and the aerials... if you change Sheik's fair, uair and tilts she's already a completely character, haha.

Maybe Sheik's not the best base for him, but that seems cool.

Pkjoan

Smash Apprentice
IMO the last pokemon clone character should be Pichu, we already have a lot of FE and Pokemon. The clone engine should be a solution to the standalone series (ie. F-Zero, Metroid, Warioware, Kid Icarus) or a way to bring more Nintendo characters like Issac.

Ginge

Smash Ace
IMO the last pokemon clone character should be Pichu, we already have a lot of FE and Pokemon. The clone engine should be a solution to the standalone series (ie. F-Zero, Metroid, Warioware, Kid Icarus) or a way to bring more Nintendo characters like Issac.
I agree with all of that except Warioware.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
But I will agree that the fire emblem characters should be given alt costumes based off of the other main characters of the series...seriously, almost everyone is either Marth, or Marth 2.0, 3.0, etc.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
While it's never going to happen, I sometimes wonder how Smeargle would work in an all-Pokemon roster. Smeargle is pretty kool and underrated, and it would be hilarious to see a spore/substitute/statusbuff/batonpass combo in a team match :bubblebobble:

EDIT: Sorry about the double-post X___X

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
But I will agree that the fire emblem characters should be given alt costumes based off of the other main characters of the series...seriously, almost everyone is either Marth, or Marth 2.0, 3.0, etc.
So down for this.
It would be cool to see a Celice alt for Marth, and a Eliwood alt for Roy. (NOT their skins, just the outfits they wore in their games.)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FE didn't get stickers of interesting characters, so don't count on any good potential characters.
Master Knight would hands down be the best option. Leif's moveset potential >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lyn's moveset potential.
I want Leaf for that very reason (that and FE5 is one of my two favorite games in the series). Too bad Leaf doesn't qualify though (there was absolutely no FE4/FE5 content in Brawl).

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I want Leaf for that very reason (that and FE5 is one of my two favorite games in the series). Too bad Leaf doesn't qualify though (there was absolutely no FE4/FE5 content in Brawl).

The qualification rule can be a ***** sometimes. I had a lot of really good suggestions, but none of them appear as stickers sadly. I'm more than certain everyone would hop on Vaati if he were a sticker.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
The qualification rule can be a ***** sometimes. I had a lot of really good suggestions, but none of them appear as stickers sadly. I'm more than certain everyone would hop on Vaati if he were a sticker.
True tho. Love me some Vaati. Tink needs an antagonist. Telda will have to do to further rep Toon Zelda I gueeeeeeeeess *hides Telda bias behind back*

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I know Pichu is the more requested/expected (if not extremely controversial) Pokemon rep, but nobody has really brought up Meowth - I did, but that was a long while ago, and I can't remember anybody seriously bringing him up since. Pikachu and Jigglypuff got into the 64 because they were popular due to the anime (Pikachu also being seen as the face of Pokemon and Jigglypuff because of the ease of which she could be cloned from Kirby), but Meowth (as somebody pointed out on the forums, I can't remember if it was in here or in one of the SM4SH threads) is basically Pikachu's rival throughout the entirety of the anime, and is the only Pokemon other than Pikachu to be featured throughout more than one season, let alone all of them, and is very recognizable as a result, as well as popular (more popular than Pichu at least, sans being a vet, and all the more-relevant and/or popular Pokemon have been included with the exception of perhaps Blaziken).

Now, I cannot say that I am knowledgeable in this regard as I am not much of a Pokemon player. However, that being said, Meowth is one of those characters who should have been in Smash already, and I'm suggesting him not to be dismissed as "oversaturation of Pokemon" (which, c'mon, you have to expect when you have like 750 Pokemon to choose from), but to be discussed as "worthy Nintendo All-Star, in the same vein Pikachu, Jigglypuff were considered All-Stars and included in the original game". Or something, haha.

I think that, being a cat (and not knowing any of his game moves), Bowser or Wolf might be good for getting inspiration from because of their claw attacks.

True tho. Love me some Vaati. Tink needs an antagonist. Telda will have to do to further rep Toon Zelda I gueeeeeeeeess *hides Telda bias behind back*

The only other villain possibility is Toondorf.

...Which I actually wouldn't have a problem with, haha. We'd get a swordorf, but having two Link's is a little iffy despite both being worthy of their spots, but having two Ganondorf's would probably not work out the best, haha.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I know Pichu is the more requested/expected (if not extremely controversial) Pokemon rep, but nobody has really brought up Meowth - I did, but that was a long while ago, and I can't remember anybody seriously bringing him up since. Pikachu and Jigglypuff got into the 64 because they were popular due to the anime (Pikachu also being seen as the face of Pokemon and Jigglypuff because of the ease of which she could be cloned from Kirby), but Meowth (as somebody pointed out on the forums, I can't remember if it was in here or in one of the SM4SH threads) is basically Pikachu's rival throughout the entirety of the anime, and is the only Pokemon other than Pikachu to be featured throughout more than one season, let alone all of them, and is very recognizable as a result, as well as popular (more popular than Pichu at least, sans being a vet, and all the more-relevant and/or popular Pokemon have been included with the exception of perhaps Blaziken).

Now, I cannot say that I am knowledgeable in this regard as I am not much of a Pokemon player. However, that being said, Meowth is one of those characters who should have been in Smash already, and I'm suggesting him not to be dismissed as "oversaturation of Pokemon" (which, c'mon, you have to expect when you have like 750 Pokemon to choose from), but to be discussed as "worthy Nintendo All-Star, in the same vein Pikachu, Jigglypuff were considered All-Stars and included in the original game". Or something, haha.

I think that, being a cat (and not knowing any of his game moves), Bowser or Wolf might be good for getting inspiration from because of their claw attacks.

The only other villain possibility is Toondorf.

...Which I actually wouldn't have a problem with, haha. We'd get a swordorf, but having two Link's is a little iffy despite both being worthy of their spots, but having two Ganondorf's would probably not work out the best, haha.

I actually thought about bringing Meowth up earlier, but I didn't. I think he'd be a truly good choice, since not only is he iconic (being Team Rocket's Pikachu, basically), but he was also going to be playable in Smash 64, but was cut because of time restraints. He's certainly as much of an All-Star as Pichu or Ivysaur, if not more because of just how long he's been around. Even his trophy describes him as one of the most famous Pokemon, and other characters that were considered for 64 have been added, almost all of them in fact. Bowser, King Dedede, Pit, Meta Knight, Peach, Mewtwo... all cut from 64 but added to later games.

As for moveset, definitely clone him from Wolf. The scratching and clawing attacks are a perfect fit, considering he's known as the 'Scratch Cat' Pokemon, and I bet Wolf's Blaster can be repurposed into Pay Day. His voice clips could be taken from the anime, if necessary, though it might be hard to find just the right ones (no background noise, etc.)

The only thing is, I don't know what his Final Smash would be...

Ginge

Smash Ace
The only thing is, I don't know what his Final Smash would be...
Some sort of explosion followed by the "Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaain" audio :p

Are there any moves that Meowth can learn in the games that would be worthy of a Final Smash animation? I haven't really paid attention to him since Gen I and haven't gotten around to a new Pokémon since Diamond. Any ideas Pokémon fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom