• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Some sort of explosion followed by the "Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaain" audio :p

Are there any moves that Meowth can learn in the games that would be worthy of a Final Smash animation? I haven't really paid attention to him since Gen I and haven't gotten around to a new Pokémon since Diamond. Any ideas Pokémon fans?

I haven't played Pokemon since Gen 3, so I have no idea. :/ Maybe just a big bomb with the Team Rocket logo on it blowing up... when it hits, it's a guaranteed Star KO to reference the blasting off again XD

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm curious--has anyone thought of imagining a unique playstyle first, THEN attaching it to a potential character?

I ask because sometimes we're a little guilty of wanting to add our favorite characters in PMBR in a vacuum, without really considering how they'd match up with each and every one of the currently available characters.* This is why I can't come up with a moveset for a character I really want other than Toad, who I made a fast Mario clone because from a gameplay perspective that's pretty interesting to me, and neither Mario nor Luigi felt like they had the speed I wanted out of them. Not that it stops me from using Mario as my PM main, of course, he's still fun in his own right. But now I'm just blabbing on to myself :p

So other than direct clones of characters you're not entirely cool with, what kind of original movesets do you think would freshen up the Smash scene with stuff it doesn't really already have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*This is not meant toward those who came up with awesome, original movesets for their favorite characters. Heck, your movesets for characters like Skull Kid and Isaac are why I keep giving them half votes. I just wonder what movesets we can come up with without thinking of a character first.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm curious--has anyone thought of imagining a unique playstyle first, then attaching it to a potential character? I ask because sometimes we're a little guilty of wanting to add our favorite characters in PMBR in a vacuum, without really considering how they'd match up with each and every one of the currently available characters.* This is why I can't come up with a moveset for a character I really want other than Toad, who I made a fast Mario clone because from a gameplay perspective that's pretty interesting to me, and neither Mario nor Luigi felt like they had the speed I wanted out of them. Not that it stops me from using Mario as my PM main, of course, he's still fun in his own right. But now I'm just blabbing on to myself :p

So other than direct clones of characters you're not entirely cool with, what kind of original movesets do you think would freshen up the Smash scene with stuff it doesn't really already have?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*This is not meant toward those who came up with awesome, original movesets for their favorite characters. Heck, your movesets for characters like Skull Kid and Isaac are why I keep giving characters like Isaac and Skull Kid half votes. I just wonder what movesets we can come up with without thinking of a character first.

Actually, yes. Some of us did try that a while back. I think it was trojanpoo who suggested we try that. I was interesting in exploring a Samus clone, and eventually ended up (100% unintentionally) describing the exact way I had imagined Dark Samus would play. (Basically a mix of Samus and Sheik playstyles)

So the results were less than spectacular.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I wanted Black Knight because I felt like he could play like Hakumen to an extent.
And that's enough reason for me.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I'm curious--has anyone thought of imagining a unique playstyle first, then attaching it to a potential character? I ask because sometimes we're a little guilty of wanting to add our favorite characters in PMBR in a vacuum, without really considering how they'd match up with each and every one of the currently available characters.* This is why I can't come up with a moveset for a character I really want other than Toad, who I made a fast Mario clone because from a gameplay perspective that's pretty interesting to me, and neither Mario nor Luigi felt like they had the speed I wanted out of them. Not that it stops me from using Mario as my PM main, of course, he's still fun in his own right. But now I'm just blabbing on to myself :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*This is not meant toward those who came up with awesome, original movesets for their favorite characters. Heck, your movesets for characters like Skull Kid and Isaac are why I keep giving characters like Isaac and Skull Kid half votes. I just wonder what movesets we can come up with without thinking of a character first.

No, not really. Because playstyles are very limited by what the PMBR can or can't do. And that's something we don't really know, so there's no point in thinking about it. Besides, the whole point of Smash Bros is to be able to play as your favorite characters... so that comes first, and then the moves.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I know Pichu is the more requested/expected (if not extremely controversial) Pokemon rep, but nobody has really brought up Meowth - I did, but that was a long while ago, and I can't remember anybody seriously bringing him up since. Pikachu and Jigglypuff got into the 64 because they were popular due to the anime (Pikachu also being seen as the face of Pokemon and Jigglypuff because of the ease of which she could be cloned from Kirby), but Meowth (as somebody pointed out on the forums, I can't remember if it was in here or in one of the SM4SH threads) is basically Pikachu's rival throughout the entirety of the anime, and is the only Pokemon other than Pikachu to be featured throughout more than one season, let alone all of them, and is very recognizable as a result, as well as popular (more popular than Pichu at least, sans being a vet, and all the more-relevant and/or popular Pokemon have been included with the exception of perhaps Blaziken).

Now, I cannot say that I am knowledgeable in this regard as I am not much of a Pokemon player. However, that being said, Meowth is one of those characters who should have been in Smash already, and I'm suggesting him not to be dismissed as "oversaturation of Pokemon" (which, c'mon, you have to expect when you have like 750 Pokemon to choose from), but to be discussed as "worthy Nintendo All-Star, in the same vein Pikachu, Jigglypuff were considered All-Stars and included in the original game". Or something, haha.

I think that, being a cat (and not knowing any of his game moves), Bowser or Wolf might be good for getting inspiration from because of their claw attacks.

The only other villain possibility is Toondorf.

...Which I actually wouldn't have a problem with, haha. We'd get a swordorf, but having two Link's is a little iffy despite both being worthy of their spots, but having two Ganondorf's would probably not work out the best, haha.
oh god i knew i was missing someone in that mass post of pokemon characters way back when.

His star KO sound should totally be "TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAAAAAAIIINNNN..." *ding*

Ginge

Smash Ace
I personally find it easier to come up with a potential move list when there's a character to attach it to. I can't really think of "Well, they've always been missing a ______ character" instead of "Show some love to _____ from _____ series."

The closest I'd come up with is that a Fire Emblem mage has the potential to be a new type of magic unit. Cause do we really have a FAST magician in the mix? And the different tomes in game could make for a bunch of cool animations (limiting the use of projectiles would be a *****, though).

So I guess a fast magic user, regardless of series, could be nice to see.

EDIT: And could be cloneable from a slow magic user.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Actually, yes. Some of us did try that a while back. I think it was trojanpoo who suggested we try that. I was interesting in exploring a Samus clone, and eventually ended up (100% unintentionally) describing the exact way I had imagined Dark Samus would play. (Basically a mix of Samus and Sheik playstyles)

So the results were less than spectacular.
Not to rain on your response, but don't limit yourself to clones! That's boring, and of course if everybody did think only in terms of clones would the approach be opposed and seem boring and unlikeable.

No, not really. Because playstyles are very limited by what the PMBR can or can't do. And that's something we don't really know, so there's no point in thinking about it. Besides, the whole point of Smash Bros is to be able to play as your favorite characters... so that comes first, and then the moves.
Who's to say we can't think up anything dynamic with the article limitation and other limitations? And I think you missed a part of my post, I'm saying once we come up with our original moveset we can look up Nintendo characters that would match it. We can come up with something fun a lot of people would like to play, find a character a lot of people like that matches it, and BOOM. Immediately interesting character that people like just for the wish fulfilment as well as being dynamic in a gameplay sense.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I personally find it easier to come up with a potential move list when there's a character to attach it to. I can't really think of "Well, they've always been missing a ______ character" instead of "Show some love to _____ from _____ series."

The closest I'd come up with is that a Fire Emblem mage has the potential to be a new type of magic unit. Cause do we really have a FAST magician in the mix? And the different tomes in game could make for a bunch of cool animations (limiting the use of projectiles would be a *****, though).

does it necasarily have to be a fire emblem magic user, Ana, Paula, and Kumatora would fit the bill in the magic department

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

While this is more of an aesthetic desire than immediately a gameplay one, this is a good example of what I meant, so kudos.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not to rain on your response, but don't limit yourself to clones! That's boring, and of course if everybody did think only in terms of clones would the approach be opposed.

Who's to say we can't think up anything dynamic with the article limitation and other limitations? And I think you missed a part of my post, I'm saying once we come up with our original moveset we can look up Nintendo characters that would match it. We can come up with something fun a lot of people would like to play, find a character a lot of people like that matches it, and BOOM. Immediately interesting character that people like just for the wish fulfilment as well as being dynamic in a gameplay sense.
Not to rain on your idea, but you're thinking about this backwards. The idea that you could come up with a moveset, and then find a popular character who fits within PMBR's guidelines to fit the moveset is unnecessarily complex when we could get a list of awesome characters, and then come up with movesets for them. Sakurai didn't choose Mario because he wanted a well-rounded, middle-ground character. He chose Mario, and then decided he should be a well-rounded, middle-ground character. Anti Guy pretty much hit the nail on the head in his post.

Alright, I have an idea. Let's test your method, and see what comes of it. What's a playstyle you would like to see? Let's see where this goes.

We've actually already discussed characters that could fit this arch-type if PMBR wanted them to. Ashley and Skull Kid come to mind, as well as a couple of Fire Emblem characters.

Ginge

Smash Ace
does it necasarily have to be a fire emblem magic user, Ana, Paula, and Kumatora would fit the bill in the magic department
There's a reason at the end I said "regardless of series". :p

EDIT: Considering Isaac is topping the polls at the moment, would he necessarily fit a "fast magic user" niche? Since I'm new to the thread, I don't know if there's been discussion about his speed.

Shin F.

Smash Master
There's a reason at the end I said "regardless of series". :p

EDIT: Considering Isaac is topping the polls at the moment, would he necessarily fit a "fast magic user" niche? Since I'm new to the thread, I don't know if there's been discussion about his speed.

He could. It depends on how much you want to emphasize the magic. Isaac's normals would all probably be sword-based, with his specials using Venus Psynergy (Earth magic). He could be fast or slow, depending on how PMBR want to do him.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Speaking of Isaac, I have a sudden urge to dig out Golden Sun and give it a playthrough. Then dealing with the hassle of syncing data to the sequel... Eh, forget the sequel for now.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Speaking of Isaac, I have a sudden urge to dig out Golden Sun and give it a playthrough. Then dealing with the hassle of syncing data to the sequel... Eh, forget the sequel for now.
I just started playing it again for the first time in a long time. I have an actual copy, but I decided to try emulating it on my wii via homebrew this time, and I've got to say - it's much more fun on the big screen!

Ginge

Smash Ace
Does emulating it negate the ***** of data transfer between the first game and the second? Because that might actually deter me from my physical copy...

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

No, I understood you just fine. But like I said, 1) this game called Smash Bros is a character-first, movelist-second game design, and 2) the limitations of the mod don't allow you to come up with movesets and fit characters.

And honestly, it doesn't make sense to do that. The list of characters that are actually viable and are reasonable (<--- KEYWORD) is so limited (just look at the ones making the poll) that there is absolutely no reason to have a backwards design thinking. You can be like "ooh, what if we had a character that plays like Squirtle... OH, KOOPA TROOPA!" and come up with random characters that don't belong in the game.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Not to rain on your idea, but you're thinking about this backwards. The idea that you could come up with a moveset, and then find a popular character who fits within PMBR's guidelines to fit the moveset is unnecessarily complex when we could get a list of awesome characters, and then come up with movesets for them. Sakurai didn't choose Mario because he wanted a well-rounded, middle-ground character. He chose Mario, and then decided he should be a well-rounded, middle-ground character. Anti Guy pretty much hit the nail on the head in his post.

Alright, I have an idea. Let's test your method, and see what comes of it. What's a playstyle you would like to see? Let's see where this goes.

I guess I'm going to embarrass myself when I say that I'm not...particularly creative enough to think one up :( . I brought the idea up in my post to see if someone creative would suddenly jump at the idea, so we could all discuss the most interesting types of playstyles possible with little regard to things like representation and such. I love seeing how other people can play with an idea, so I decided to try to spark some of that.

But even if I don't consider myself worthy enough to meet my own challenge, I'll try to think one up.

think, EdgeTheLucas, think! Make sure to think of all the current characters already present...

...Okay, I thought of something. I don't know if anyone will like it, but it's just an example. Here goes!

So this character would basically move VERY fast through the air horizontally,even more than Wolf, with a total of 3 jumps not counting this character's up-B. This character would have both a fair and a bair that came out quickly and sent the opponent flying in either direction. However, at low percent, they would not fly faster than you can move. So this character--let's call this character Doe, for gender neutrality sake--could potentially start the match playing tennis with him/herself, using the opponent as the ball. The angles your bair and fair send at aren't strict, though, so it requires some finesse. This technique would have its effectiveness depend on the opponent's weight, i.e. it wouldn't really work on Bowser since your jumps go past him a lot. The other aerials would be situational, like Doe's nair covering a wider area but not nearly enough knockback, and your uair and dair being combo starters for the heavy characters.

Now I said Doe had insane horizontal jump distance and speed, so a lot of people could potentially just camp doing this, right? Well, to balance Doe out, his/her landing would have a lot of lag, around the worst in the game, so catching Doe as he lands could be his downfall. Doe's ground game would be similar to Charizard's in that the general philosophy would be to start getting opponents in the air for aerial chasing, though they'd send opponents more to diagonally than straight up like Charizard often does. Jab could lead into Doe's side and down smash, though you have to land all 3 hits in a specific rhythm to lead them in properly. Doe's side and down smash attacks would have decent, Mario-ish range, but be more powerful, so they'd be useful for edgeguarding and repelling opponents away. Both, however, also have lots of ending lag, so, being very punishable, they'd be used more often than not as a last ditch resort if Jab didn't land all 3 hits.

Doe's up-B would be an attack that goes straight up, since his 3 normal jumps don't have good vertical prowess. It can't be angled that much though, so positioning yourself with it properly is key.

Doe's down-B would be an attack that sends you straight down very fast, sending opponets below you down and grounded opponents into the air, but have a good amount of starting lag.. This is useful because it covers an area around you when you land, covering your endlag. Both the beginning and end can be punished when timed properly, though.

Side-B would be a shield attack that protected Doe from projectiles while sliding him/her forward (not faster than Doe's dash speed though).

Neutral-B would be a decently-distanced attack that sent opponents at a fixed angle toward you, no matter what their percentage. Sort of a "get over here" attack.

All in all, this character's biggest strength is fast, deadly air combos that loves staying in the air flipping all over the place making the opponent his own personal tennis ball, but fears being attacked on the ground. Doe's 3 jumps mean Doe can travel very quickly but have limited and interrupt-ible recovery.

...Whew! So how's that for a moveset? I didn't think I could come up with something like that, but I had a lot of fun with it! I hope this is an example that gets other people thinking with their own (far more creative) movesets.

Incedentally, I imagine this character to look like a ninja, or someone with wings. Anyone have an idea?

Hope I met Shin. F's challenge, as well as my own. In the meantime, I finally have the chance to play PM 3.0 again, so I'll check back to see if people hate my example or not. (I hope not...)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well done! You've come up with a very fun-sounding and unique moveset. It sounds like someone who is fun to play as. I will say, though, that the down b sounds like it's just a meteor smash. (Edit: Nevermind, I re-read it, I think I read it wrong the first time.) Now, here's the challenge to see if your method can possibly work... (and this next part is open to anyone) give me a character who fits it perfectly, and is popular enough for people to get hyped over. By that, I mean that whoever it is shouldn't be someone who's only a minor character or anything like that. Bringing back a retro character a la Ice Climbers/ ROB would be fine as long as they're in Brawl, but it's better to choose someone truly hype-worthy. Ridley sort of fits this general playstyle, but not the specials (especially side b), so we'll exclude him.

I actually kind of hope you prove me wrong about this not working, because that sounds like a fun moveset.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Its cool to see more support for my waifu lyn.

And it seems Ginge is my clone, seriously he even has a kirby avi :D

Anyways LOL @ MLGF thinking that people who support lyn never played an FE game..... I've played them all buddy, If it wasn't for kirby, FE would be my #1 franchise. and the reason i support her is the same as what most people have posted already.

She would be a great addition, not something boring. In fact the PMBR can take any character and make them exciting. They could take freaking Goomy if they wanted to and make him exciting, so surely they can make lyn a hype character.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I want Leaf for that very reason (that and FE5 is one of my two favorite games in the series). Too bad Leaf doesn't qualify though (there was absolutely no FE4/FE5 content in Brawl).
I haven't exactly agreed with everything you've said in this thread, but FE5 is one of the best(if not the best) Fire Emblem games in my opinion. I love the mounting/dismounting, the general tone and difficulty of the game, and I love most of the characters. I didn't care much about the original game, but it was nice to see the it get a real translation. As much as I love FE4, FE5 has always been the game that I wanted to get a translation/update and be released here. Just thought I'd say.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I actually kind of hope you prove me wrong about this not working, because that sounds like a fun moveset.

Crap, I just thought of someone that could work for like 90% of that. Balloon Fighter would be pretty good with that moveset, except maybe the reflector. His 'Get over here' thing you mentioned could be like a tether grapple with his balloon string. Not sure about his down b, but that one's possible, too.

Edit: Actually, I just realized, his side b reflect-while-moving attack could be him spinning really fast like ROB's original side B, with the balloons spinning fast enough to deflect projectiles as he moves forward slightly.

Edit the Second: His Final Smash could rip off of Jigglypuff's Puff Up, but with a giant balloon.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Incedentally, I imagine this character to look like a ninja, or someone with wings. Anyone have an idea?

I'd say go look through your sticker/trophy collection for a character you think is close to this that would ALSO be a popular enough choice to warrant beating out fan favorites (and yet somehow wasn't mentioned yet). Not to shoot you down, but I don't know if you will be able to.

EDIT: Shin F. is right, I think Balloon Fighter could work well with this.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I'm curious--has anyone thought of imagining a unique playstyle first, THEN attaching it to a potential character?

I ask because sometimes we're a little guilty of wanting to add our favorite characters in PMBR in a vacuum, without really considering how they'd match up with each and every one of the currently available characters.* This is why I can't come up with a moveset for a character I really want other than Toad, who I made a fast Mario clone because from a gameplay perspective that's pretty interesting to me, and neither Mario nor Luigi felt like they had the speed I wanted out of them. Not that it stops me from using Mario as my PM main, of course, he's still fun in his own right. But now I'm just blabbing on to myself :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*This is not meant toward those who came up with awesome, original movesets for their favorite characters. Heck, your movesets for characters like Skull Kid and Isaac are why I keep giving them half votes. I just wonder what movesets we can come up with without thinking of a character first.

That is literally the only condition I use for my votes. I look at what characters don't have clones yet, then I look at how they play and how that can be turned on it's head/expanded upon/altered. Everybody else seems to get too antsy about their favorite characters to do it, though.

I disagree entirely. We have a pretty good idea of at least a lower boundary for potential in a moveset thanks to Mewtwo as well as all the Brawl characters they've altered. Sure, maybe they can push it further than we've seen, but we should be able to get a fairly good idea of what works. And Project M is a competitive mod, gameplay should come first and foremost before anything with character being a very minor influence.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Except new characters are the hype of the game. Competitive play styles are fine and all, but I guarantee people would gravitate to Ridley with just an OK moveset much faster than they would Primid with a great moveset.

And the PMBR understands the purpose of hype, which has to come with a face, and one fans want to see at that.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I disagree entirely. We have a pretty good idea of at least a lower boundary for potential in a moveset thanks to Mewtwo as well as all the Brawl characters they've altered. Sure, maybe they can push it further than we've seen, but we should be able to get a fairly good idea of what works. And Project M is a competitive mod, gameplay should come first and foremost before anything with character being a very minor influence.

You know, I still don't see any logical connection between "competitive mod" and gameplay coming first before characters, yet you've sad this a million times as if it's some kind of fact. There is nothing to suggest that. And there is nothing to say that they can't pick a character and then make him/her have good gameplay. In fact, it's the contrary; I think we all know by now that whatever character they choose would be handled well by them.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
OK I just came back from playing 3.0 by myself, apparently. My only human opponent for Project M, my little brother, had to do the dishes. My friends are uncomfortable playing mods (as am I, obviously made an exception just for this one), so they couldn't play either, so all I did was try out Mewtwo again (REALLY tricky character to use). At least the AI is fun to fight...

I see my post went over somewhat well! I'm happy that my moveset resonated with some of you, and yeah Balloon Fighter does seem like a good fit in hindsight (the fair I described could be him donning that fake beak the other fighters use and poking other people). Though, I need to look at a list of all the stickers and trophies and such to see if we can come up with a more hype worthy character. I'm on mobile now, so looking at ssbwiki for all this is going to take LONG.

I mean I personally like Balloon Fighter, but he's not that well known outside of Smash, so into the sea of info I swim...

EDIT: I can't really come up with a specific character, but I decided to narrow it down to someone from Star Fox or F-Zero. While both are finished franchises, their characters as represented in Smash feel very well suited to this type of play. Unfortunately, I don't know much about either franchise to see which character would cause the most hype.

I did find a ninja character, though. It's this guy called Young Cricket from WarioWare Smooth Moves, so it's a Mario character. I also found Takamaru, but he's very likely for Smash 4...

Maybe Balloon Fighter really is the best fit. If no one that knows about Star Fox or F-Zero can say if they find better characters.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I did find a ninja character, though. It's this guy called Young Cricket from WarioWare Smooth Moves, so it's a Mario character. I also found Takamaru, but he's very likely for Smash 4....

WarioWare characters are WarioWare. I get that Wario is associated with Mario, but WarioWare is a series of its own. It doesn't inherently make them Mario characters. If that were the case, we would see them in games like Mario Party or Mario sports titles. Just saying.

As far as Young Cricket is concerned, he is not nearly as popular as previously mentioned WarioWare characters in this thread. Those being Ashley, Kat & Ana, and Jimmy T. And also, he is not a Ninja. He is a Martial Artist. Kat & Ana are ninjas.

That being said, Has anyone came up with some new ideas for Jimmy T.???

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
OK I just came back from playing 3.0 by myself, apparently. My only human opponent for Project M, my little brother, had to do the dishes. My friends are uncomfortable playing mods (as am I, obviously made an exception just for this one), so they couldn't play either, so all I did was try out Mewtwo again (REALLY tricky character to use). At least the AI is fun to fight...

I see my post went over somewhat well! I'm happy that my moveset resonated with some of you, and yeah Balloon Fighter does seem like a good fit in hindsight (the fair I described could be him donning that fake beak the other fighters use and poking other people). Though, I need to look at a list of all the stickers and trophies and such to see if we can come up with a more hype worthy character. I'm on mobile now, so looking at ssbwiki for all this is going to take LONG.

I mean I personally like Balloon Fighter, but he's not that well known outside of Smash, so into the sea of info I swim...

EDIT: I can't really come up with a specific character, but I decided to narrow it down to someone from Star Fox or F-Zero. While both are finished franchises, their characters as represented in Smash feel very well suited to this type of play. Unfortunately, I don't know much about either franchise to see which character would cause the most hype.

I did find a ninja character, though. It's this guy called Young Cricket from WarioWare Smooth Moves, so it's a Mario character. I also found Takamaru, but he's very likely for Smash 4...

Maybe Balloon Fighter really is the best fit. If no one that knows about Star Fox or F-Zero can say if they find better characters.

WarioWare characters are generally not considered Mario characters. And Takamaru's a samurai, not a ninja.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
This might be a fun thing to think about (or maybe it'll be the most boring thing anybody's EVER thought of, who knows! :O):

Which 5 characters would you like to play as clones of the most? And what would be different about them, to justify them being in the game?

For me, I think I'd like:

1. A DK clone, with a light body who's faster/weaker. This would make DK's tilts really interesting. Some of his aerials might need an adjustment (like dair), as well as his smashes (maybe all of them!) It'd be interesting to see what this character would be like if it retained the grappling game, too.

2. A Zelda clone. She's just really fun to play! Since the PMBR changed up her side-B quite a bit, it'd be interesting to see what else they could do, since the "trap" gameplay is kind of her thing now. Also, it'd be interesting if this particular clone didn't have the "change to Sheik" down-B, and got a new move instead. You could kind of go either way here - you could make her heavy and strong or light and fast. Or you can even do a falco thing, where the speed's relatively the same and you just change up the move properties.

3. Bowser, fa sho! I've said this before but I really don't enjoy Bowser. I think a fast version of him with a different uair, dair and usmash would be sick, though. There are some things about Bowser that should probs stay, like his tilts, fair, etc.

4. A heavy Pit would actually be pretty sick. He's another that I just can't get into at all, for some reason. (To clarify, this isn't a Project M thing - I never really liked Pit in Brawl, and I didn't enjoy Bowser in Melee or Brawl.) I think I don't like Pit cause he tends to feel flimsy, so a heavy version with some heft to his attacks might be awesome. I'd be interested to see what they do with his jump game/recovery, in that case.

5. A Sonic clone! I love his playstyle, but he's almost too fast if that makes any sense. A character that's slower and heavier would be an interesting take on that gameplay. I don't even know how many moves you'd need to change, tbh! Just making the character slow and meaty might be enough.

Kind of weird to think about this without the characters attached to it, haha. Some of these match up to things I want - Dixie could be the DK clone, Baby Bowser could be the Bowser clone, and Skull Kid could be the Zelda clone. Tails/Knux/Shadow could probably serve as the Sonic clone, and then I have no idea who would go over Pit?

So my gameplay-based roster would be:

Dixie
Skull Kid
Baby Bowser
Tails (ah'm pickin' Tails!)
?!?!??!?

That's kinda interesting.

These aren't my votes or anything, but if anyone else wants to take a shot at this, it was kinda fun. (Disclaimer: You might hate it and hate me and hate everything I love if you try this)

And Takamaru's a samurai, not a ninja.

:sadsheep:

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
You know, I still don't see any logical connection between "competitive mod" and gameplay coming first before characters, yet you've sad this a million times as if it's some kind of fact. There is nothing to suggest that. And there is nothing to say that they can't pick a character and then make him/her have good gameplay. In fact, it's the contrary; I think we all know by now that whatever character they choose would be handled well by them.

I said I disagree, not that you were wrong. That implies that the following is opinion. I never once tried to claim that my stance was fact in this debate, just that in my opinion they should focus on what will expand the meta and then pick the most hype character to put over that style. But of course this is the internet where if you don't explicitly say "in my opinion" every other sentence you're being a know it all douche.

Edit: To respond to Chrmz's query, Pikachu (but only Pichu because I liked him in Melee), Bowser, Charizard, DK, and since I can't think of another I guess Captain Falcon.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Dixie as a DK clone would be interesting. Helicopter hair instead of arm spin, your grab picks the character up into her hair above her head with the ability to walk around ----> maybe even have it slow her down since she's not a heavy like DK.

Baby Bowser being a faster, lighter Bowser is good. And sadly, as noted by the "Sonic Tier" in the votes, you're not getting a Sonic clone like Tails :p

We obviously need a Fox clone. Like stat.

EDIT: In response to trojanpooh: A Falcon clone? You mean Ganon?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Dixie as a DK clone would be interesting. Helicopter hair instead of arm spin, your grab picks the character up into her hair above her head with the ability to walk around ----> maybe even have it slow her down since she's not a heavy like DK.

Baby Bowser being a faster, lighter Bowser is good. And sadly, as noted by the "Sonic Tier" in the votes, you're not getting a Sonic clone like Tails :p

Who's to say a Sonic clone would need to be a Sonic character? Sure, all he does is roll, but that's animation based. Someone like, just randomly pulling this out of my ass, Starfy could behave similarly but replace all of Sonic's spins with either running or twirling. Probably not the best choice, but the point is the clone doesn't need to be from the same franchise.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

This poll has no effect of what will be chosen by P:M. They already said that Shadow is "possible" for a Sonic clone as well as Pichu making a return. Chances are, we are getting Pichu. So don't be surprised if we get a Sonic clone.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I was more negating the choice of Tails he made, not the lack of Sonic clone. I'd be all over a clone of his gameplay if a more popular character could be overlayed. I'd even be for a Sonic character, but that seems to be badly hated in this group.

I have a question for any of the PMBR group: Would cloning a character like Snake or Link make it any easier to have a projectile/range character? Or is the projectile issue something else?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I know we already have one, and he's one of my many many mains in Melee/PM but I couldn't think of anyone else I liked enough for 2nds or liked in theory but wanted a reroll for. Since Captain Falcon is so integral to the culture of Smash, Melee in particular, I figured if anyone deserved special treatment it was him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do this, you won't be dissapointed. Golden Sun, despite being a JRPG, has a quite unique and almost addicting battle system. Puzzling and adventuring is also fun, especially in the sequel The Lost Age.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Do this, you won't be dissapointed. Golden Sun, despite being a JRPG, has a quite unique and almost addicting battle system. Puzzling and adventuring is also fun, especially in the sequel The Lost Age.
The reason I said "dig out" Golden Sun is I have a copy. And I've played it before. I was saying I had the urge to replay it :p

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure he means playthrough. Hence the phrasing "dig out" implying that he owns it but it was lost in a drawer in his house ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom