• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh well, Isaac is still awesome though ^^

Dixie as a DK clone with copying of the Cargo via Hairgrab is also a thing I wanna see. She could easily be a mix in the movesets of DK and Diddy. Taking Diddy's bone structure, weight and speed to create Dixie but with some of DK's moves. Her Helicopter Spin could work in various ways though... She could potentially charge it up and fly high like Diddy does with his recovery, which is akin to what she does in the upcoming game DKCR: Tropical Freeze. Or indeed clone DK for the more classical Helicopter Spin from the SNES DKC games.

Now that I'm thinking about it... She could even copy Charizard's Fly for it, even WITH the glide aspect!

I could see Dixie become the Lucas to Diddy's Ness like this. With stat changes similar, yet a bit different. Dixie should be a bit lighter than Diddy, cause of her probable Godly recovery. Weaker to, as she has quite a lot of range, and of course floaty. Which would make her stand out from DK and Diddy more, who are quite the fast fallers. Dixie's style should be a light grappler, but with some speedy combo attacks like Diddy. Her combo game wouldn't be as good though cause she lacks a little speed Diddy has. Not sure if she should be given the Bananas like Diddy either... Her Bubblegum Popgun could potentially be infuriating enough.

Would be cool to see a Tropical Freeze-inspired stage to with Dixie's addition. Or Bramble Blast as a stage! Think it could be a quite big stage, with brambles which do damage (like the spikes from Stage Builder, or even that one fatal bramble spike in Rumble Falls) which makes it an ideal stage for floaty characters with great edgeguards and recoveries like Mewtwo.

Ginge

Smash Ace
And while we're on the topic of Dixie, she could have an alt costume to be wearing Tiny Kong's outfit.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oo, that's a great point - who else makes for a good Sonic clone? I'm not sure myself, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

Oh well, Isaac is still awesome though ^^

Dixie as a DK clone with copying of the Cargo via Hairgrab is also a thing I wanna see. She could easily be a mix in the movesets of DK and Diddy. Taking Diddy's bone structure, weight and speed to create Dixie but with some of DK's moves. Her Helicopter Spin could work in various ways though... She could potentially charge it up and fly high like Diddy does with his recovery, which is akin to what she does in the upcoming game DKCR: Tropical Freeze. Or indeed clone DK for the more classical Helicopter Spin from the SNES DKC games.

Now that I'm thinking about it... She could even copy Charizard's Fly for it, even WITH the glide aspect!

I could see Dixie become the Lucas to Diddy's Ness like this. With stat changes similar, yet a bit different. Dixie should be a bit lighter than Diddy, cause of her probable Godly recovery. Weaker to, as she has quite a lot of range, and of course floaty. Which would make her stand out from DK and Diddy more, who are quite the fast fallers. Dixie's style should be a light grappler, but with some speedy combo attacks like Diddy. Her combo game wouldn't be as good though cause she lacks a little speed Diddy has. Not sure if she should be given the Bananas like Diddy either... Her Bubblegum Popgun could potentially be infuriating enough.

Would be cool to see a Tropical Freeze-inspired stage to with Dixie's addition. Or Bramble Blast as a stage! Think it could be a quite big stage, with brambles which do damage (like the spikes from Stage Builder, or even that one fatal bramble spike in Rumble Falls) which makes it an ideal stage for floaty characters with great edgeguards and recoveries like Mewtwo.

Yes, I love all those Dixie ideas! :D

As far as the bananas, it's an interesting question. They're a really important/unique part of Diddy's kit, but at the same time, sometimes that's a good reason to give it to another character. Falco without the Melee shine felt a little weird, and that was something changed up for the sake of changing things up. Maybe with bananas, it'd be worth it to let Dixie keep them just to see what kind of gameplay emerges. I feel like Diddy's one of the most unexplored characters in PM, and the bananas will almost definitely be a big part of his meta, so it'd be really cool to see Dixie inherit those too.

Sorry, in re-reading that I realized my thoughts were all over the place. XD Basically, I think it's really cool for Diddy and Dixie to share that core mechanic. :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jimmy T is so much YES!

No idea how he should work though if he isn't a completely unique character. I can see him working with some dancing fighting moves, but nobody in Smash does that yet.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

I think Dixie could take 3/4 of her specials from DK. Her Side B, Up B, and Down B. Of course, people like the bananas, and Monkey Flip would kinda fit her mini grappler style, but noone has anything against getting DK's upb. I feel like a mix of DK and Diddy would work best for Dixie, but neither of them have the correct articles needed from the other. I'd swy Diddy would be best because he has the projectile, but he doesn't have Spinning Kong. Idk, Lucario couldn't disable or teleport before so we'll see.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
DK doesn't have any articles aside from his barrel at the very start if I'm not mistaken.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, I love all those Dixie ideas! :D

As far as the bananas, it's an interesting question. They're a really important/unique part of Diddy's kit, but at the same time, sometimes that's a good reason to give it to another character. Falco without the Melee shine felt a little weird, and that was something changed up for the sake of changing things up. Maybe with bananas, it'd be worth it to let Dixie keep them just to see what kind of gameplay emerges. I feel like Diddy's one of the most unexplored characters in PM, and the bananas will almost definitely be a big part of his meta, so it'd be really cool to see Dixie inherit those too.

Sorry, in re-reading that I realized my thoughts were all over the place. XD Basically, I think it's really cool for Diddy and Dixie to share that core mechanic. :D

Thanks man. :)

Well, since you said it that way, I sure wouldn't mind the banana metagame growing through Dixie's addition. In a way, that would make them like Fox and Falco, both having guns and another similar tool.

Now that that's been said:

JUNGLE ANIMALS FOR TOP TIER!

**** you Space Animals, your reign is over. :reverse:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I hadn't thought of that one, but I think I would be okay with it.

I wish sooo badly that Shulk was eligible.
Why isn't Shulk eligible? Having Sheik is a blessing for the Shulk route. Super easy. Sheik Shulk Sheik Shulk Sheilk Shuik.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm curious--has anyone thought of imagining a unique playstyle first, THEN attaching it to a potential character?
Heck, your movesets for characters like Skull Kid and Isaac are why I keep giving them half votes. I just wonder what movesets we can come up with without thinking of a character first.
On this subject, and as an evolution from my Skull Kid moveset concept, I started brainstorming a character that sets active traps around the stage, but is otherwise very physically weak. It'd be like Olimar with advanced Snake gadgets instead of Pikmin. You build turrets, traps, bumpers, perhaps even moving platforms. The character could be an active stage manager, changing it—albeit not drastically—in real time to do away with their foes. The first existing character this moveset reminds me of is Andy from Advance Wars.

He's not in Brawl in any form :( Xenoblade Chronicles came out about 2 years after Brawl.
WHOOPS, I was thinking of Sothe from Fire Emblem. Forget what I said!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
OK I just got back from breakfast and I see you guys are having fun thinking of clones. Cool!

Unfortunately, I seem to have no idea for who would be Doe in my earlier playstyle concept, since Young Cricket is a martial artist and Takamaru is a samurai. Still, I brought up Star Fox and F-Zero for characters that could work. Anyone knowledgeable about either franchise? Maybe they can come up with a popular character. Otherwise, I guess I lose.

Shin F.

Smash Master
OK I just got back from breakfast and I see you guys are having fun thinking of clones. Cool!

Unfortunately, I seem to have no idea for who would be Doe in my earlier playstyle concept, since Young Cricket is a martial artist and Takamaru is a samurai. Still, I brought up Star Fox and F-Zero for characters that could work. Anyone knowledgeable about either franchise? Maybe they can come up with a popular character. Otherwise, I guess I lose.
I have no idea about either of them. The only Star Fox I played was Star Fox Adventures, and then... well, never again after that XD And I've never played F-Zero.

I still think Balloon Fighter would be awesome like this, even though I know he's not popular. Still, he was considered for Melee, so... I'm actually very tempted to helf-vote him even though I know I'm probably the only one who would XD

Spire

III
BRoomer
What viable Nintendo character would be the closest candidate to Black Mage from Final Fantasy?

I'd be really curious to see a character whose two (or three) jumps could be directed with the analog stick. Jumping in zigzag patterns would be nuts! It'd be similar to Pikachu's Up-Special, but in normal jumping fashion.

Shin F.

Smash Master
What viable Nintendo character would be the closest candidate to Black Mage from Final Fantasy?
I wish so hard Black Mage was eligible...
Ness is kind of close already, what with the fire and thunder, and the bat that could be like a staff, but other than him, Ashley is the only major spellcaster I can think of with his body size.

There might be a pokemon for this situation, actually, there's one for everything else.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There needs to be a Black Mage tribute Dark/Fairy Pokémon that starts with Ember, Ice Shard, and Thundershock.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
There needs to be a Black Mage tribute Dark/Fairy Pokémon that starts with Ember, Ice Shard, and Thundershock.

Or we could just use Ashley. She is an evil spell caster / witch, so it isn't a stretch to say she can be inspired by a Black Mage.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Or we could just use Ashley. She is an evil spell caster / witch, so it isn't a stretch to say she can be inspired by a Black Mage.
My suggestion was not in favor of Black Mage's inclusion in Smash Bros, but rather, that would just be a neat Pokémon to see in future Pokémon games. It is irrelevant.

Ashley could be fun though! Another duo character wherein Red becomes her wand/broomstick.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Well, with Lyn's assist trophy, we have "Prepare yourself", her taking in a breath (which we could use whenever she goes into her stance with the blade away), and "Taste my blade". I'd imagine you'd be able to finagle usable grunts / sound effects for her to use. Or possibly finding a woman to make audio for use in the game that we can put in over boss sounds like they did to add Roy / Mewtwo sound effects.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well, with Lyn's assist trophy, we have "Prepare yourself", her taking in a breath (which we could use whenever she goes into her stance with the blade away), and "Taste my blade". I'd imagine you'd be able to finagle usable grunts / sound effects for her to use. Or possibly finding a woman to make audio for use in the game that we can put in over boss sounds like they did to add Roy / Mewtwo sound effects.
Hmmm, but she kinda sounds pretty mature in Brawl, so yeah, the best option would be finding a girl to make her voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom