• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I love me some Jimmy T, but I don't feel like I can vote for anyone without having a good idea of what they would be. Who would he be based on? What would his playstyle be? Would he have an attack that involves him removing his wig?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I love me some Jimmy T, but I don't feel like I can vote for anyone without having a good idea of what they would be. Who would he be based on? What would his playstyle be? Would he have an attack that involves him removing his wig?
I feel like Luigi is a good base for him, given his more unusual movement style and obviously final smash.

Jimmy's play style could be one that involves dancing, dodging, and delivering fast multi-hit moves, with a couple of dance move inspired hard-hitting smashes.

(Like I imagine him doing a disco pose with his fingers in the air for an u-smash, with hit boxes on either hand or something.)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ridley doesn't look that bad here.........model-wise (I think he's like the same size as he was shown in the melee intro, If i'm correct)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8EMWfxMTQ
It's not exactly P:M, but it's pretty good, all things considered. I see what trojanpoo meant about him being lanky here, though. He looks like a twig at this size!

I feel like Luigi is a good base for him, given his more unusual movement style and obviously final smash.

Jimmy's play style could be one that involves dancing, dodging, and delivering fast multi-hit moves, with a couple of dance move inspired hard-hitting smashes.

(Like I imagine him doing a disco pose with his fingers in the air for an u-smash, with hit boxes on either hand or something.)

Like Wii Fit Trainer, but with dance instead of exercise!

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
It's not exactly P:M, but it's pretty good, all things considered. I see what trojanpoo meant about him being lanky here, though. He looks like a twig at this size!
Yeah, this one being showed was not made in regards for PM (that I know of) but the model is really where I was getting at.

Would him being lanky prove to be a conflict? I'm taking a wild guess that the concern goes towards the hurtbox and other such factors...

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah, this one being showed was not made in regards for PM (that I know of) but the model is really where I was getting at.

Would him being lanky prove to be a conflict? I'm taking a wild guess that the concern goes towards the hurtbox...
Not really, just that he doesn't look right. Even reduced in size, he needs to look fairly massive to really feel like Ridley. It works with Bowser because no matter how small he is, he's still bulky. With Ridley, he ends up looking anorexic.

I think it would work for him if they buffed him up like Other M Ridley, though. Keep his appearance the same as Brawl, just with thicker limbs. I know there's a sweetspot here as far as size and appearance, we just have to find it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Not really, just that he doesn't look right. Even reduced in size, he needs to look fairly massive to really feel like Ridley. It works with Bowser because no matter how small he is, he's still bulky. With Ridley, he ends up looking anorexic.

I think it would work for him if they buffed him up like Other M Ridley, though. Keep his appearance the same as Brawl, just with thicker limbs. I know there's a sweetspot here as far as size and appearance, we just have to find it.
I think Ridley is one of those cases where he's either too tall and lanky, which works because he's bigger, or short and stubby, meaning thickening his limbs (as you said) the smaller he gets. A good example is the Melee intro Ridley, as he was around the same size as Samus but didn't look out of place, whereas the Brawl Boss Ridley looks fine as a too big guy but loses that charm when he's resized to be smaller and so he doesn't look quite right.

So, basically, ... I'm agreeing with you, haha.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman

you think, maybe slightly bigger than where he's shown here? roughly 15%-25% more of Bowser's/Charizard's size would be good?

I definitely know he doesn't have to look too (Boss styled) big lol

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think Ridley is one of those cases where he's either too tall and lanky, which works because he's bigger, or short and stubby, meaning thickening his limbs (as you said) the smaller he gets. A good example is the Melee intro Ridley, as he was around the same size as Samus but didn't look out of place, whereas the Brawl Boss Ridley looks fine as a too big guy but loses that charm when he's resized to be smaller and so he doesn't look quite right.

So, basically, ... I'm agreeing with you, haha.
Yes, exactly, I couldn't have said it better. Melee intro Ridley is just the right size, I think, for him to be playable at.

you think, maybe slightly bigger than where he's shown here? roughly 15%-25% more of Bowser's/Charizard's size would be good?

I definitely know he doesn't have to look too (Boss styled) big lol
I think his size, as far as height, is pretty good. It wouldn't hurt to make him a tad taller, but he's fine as is in the department. He just needs to have thicker limbs.

This is a good size for him. He's not too big to be playable, but he's not skeletally thin like in that video.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok.....pretty much melee Ridley. Yeah, its the most ideal and he's not that big either while maintaining a proper "skinnyness"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly all I think needs to be said is to take the Ridley PSA from that video, and make him slightly taller and his limbs slightly thicker so as to not appear too lanky. Otherwise, he didn't look out of place at all.

I'm sure the PMBR would find the right thickness. (Ohhh my~)

Also, did that video seem extremely slow to anyone else? Is that what vBrawl is like? It's been so long I don't know anymore. My god it was horrible.)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Oh ok.....pretty much melee Ridley. Yeah, its the most ideal and he's not that big either while maintaining a proper "skinnyness"
It's sad that even Ridley is worried about his weight, these days :(
They always do :awesome:
... And suddenly, I have this strange urge to watch the Wombo Combo video. Excuse me...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm also really looking forward to PM finding the right size for Rids, just so in the future when people say he's too big for Smash we can say "NO! Here! This!" And brandish it in their faces.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Honestly all I think needs to be said is to take the Ridley PSA from that video, and make him slightly taller and his limbs slightly thicker so as to not appear too lanky. Otherwise, he didn't look out of place at all.

Also, did that video seem extremely slow to anyone else? Is that what vBrawl is like? It's been so long I don't know anymore. My god it was horrible.)
Dolphin emulation..... of course it'd be slow.

But yeah basically they could take the model and run with it, that is if they wanted to.....

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dolphin emulation..... of course it'd be slow.

But yeah basically they could take the model and run with it, that is if they wanted to.....
True. Forgot it was using Dolphin. Yeah, that model would definitely be a good base. They might not even need to make new ART for Ridley, unless they wanted to differentiate themselves from Brawl, but otherwise his boss model image would look fine on the CSS. Only things different would be colors and the obvious Meta Ridley alt.

I can't see how they WOULDN'T want to. Bringing Ridley to Smash is about the most hype-worthy thing they can do at this point. Granted, they may have other plans, but I definitely see the stars aligning.

Shin F.

Smash Master
True. Forgot it was using Dolphin. Yeah, that model would definitely be a good base. They might not even need to make new ART for Ridley, unless they wanted to differentiate themselves from Brawl, but otherwise his boss model image would look fine on the CSS. Only things different would be colors and the obvious Meta Ridley alt.

I can't see how they WOULDN'T want to. Bringing Ridley to Smash is about the most hype-worthy thing they can do at this point. Granted, they may have other plans, but I definitely see the stars aligning.
vBrawl is slow, but it's not THAT slow.

I'd rather they make a new render, but that's purely a personal preference. Although, come to think of it, it'll probably be necessary if they bulk him up like we've talked about.

Given Sakurai's stance on Ridley, Project M may be his only chance to shine, so I really do hope he gets in.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
vBrawl is slow, but it's not THAT slow.

I'd rather they make a new render, but that's purely a personal preference. Although, come to think of it, it'll probably be necessary if they bulk him up like we've talked about.

Given Sakurai's stance on Ridley, Project M may be his only chance to shine, so I really do hope he gets in.
I've taken the fact that one of his negatives on the front page wasn't "Potentialnewcomer in SSB4" to mean that some of the PMBR is of that opinion as sell, which honestly does nothing but bode well for our favorite purple dragonsaur.

Also, on the render thing; its true I forgot about the bulk. Although they COULD just make the necessary adjustments to the boss art. Knowing the PMBR's style though, they wouldn't half-ass it and would go the full mile to make him a new addition.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I'm also really looking forward to PM finding the right size for Rids, just so in the future when people say he's too big for Smash we can say "NO! Here! This!" And brandish it in their faces.
I thought you was part of the team since you're labeled "Premium Member".......I'm like "Stand back guys!!" lol

Shin F.

Smash Master
I thought you was part of the team since you're labeled "Premium Member".......I'm like "Stand back guys!!" lol
Premium member for SmashBoards, not Project M, lol.

Although, I have been wondering if the people with the Back Roomer label are PMBR or a SmashBoards Back Roomer that keeps the site running. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Of all of the Wario Ware characters, the man with the 'fro is the only one I'd ever want to see.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hah! I wish! If only I had that kind of technical know-how. I'd love to be able to help out in ways that don't just involve spreading the word and buying a t-shirt.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Hah! I wish! If only I had that kind of technical know-how. I'd love to be able to help out in ways that don't just involve spreading the word and buying a t-shirt.
My only proficiency is SFX modding.........I actually made DK64 voice mod for Donkey Kong for use with Project M 2.6b.........but I never released it. I only gave it to one user that pm'ed me on youtube for it

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I've been trying to think of exactly how I'd make Dixie different from Diddy aside from a dash attack, and her up-B and a few A moves. (Apparently she also has a gun in TF?)

As far as bananas I've been trying to think of a way to make the properties different, so that instead of tripping you get slowed down or stuck or something. Would the up-b be a multi-hit attack? Would her gun fire something other than peanuts, to better fit her game? Like piercing feathers that can go through shields Iif charged?

I've also decided that if they use all the clone slots, they need st least one female character, and who's more of a missing all-star than she?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Personally I've always been partial to Mona and Kat & Ana. Thought Kat & Ana would probably be a nightmare to code as far as PM is concerned.
Mona could throw pizzas at people, it'd be great!

Kat and Ana would be trouble, but it's possible. I've been looking around Kitty Corp a lot today, and I found some posts by Dantarion from last month in a Clone Engine thread where he says that he can port them with a bit more difficulty. The site's having 503's right now, but he posted pictures of an Ice-Climber-paired version of Link, Marth and Jigglypuff, with the Marth and Jiggz ones being ported over DK if the battle portraits are anything to go by.

Actually, I just remembered a reddit page in my history where he posted the same ones.

Here's the reddit page where he posted. (It was one to announce a live stream of him cloning a character, the pics are in a comment a little bit down.)
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1qpff0/clone_engine_live_9_pmish/
And the Kitty Corp thread:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=64101.45

In case you get 503's when trying to check Kitty Corp or don't want to read through the posts (the thread's kind of heated at some points, not pleasant to read through honestly), here's the relevant comment.

Dantarion said:
It is definitely possible to port ANY character in this game. This includes IC's, this includes transforming chars. Its a bit more difficult, but it is.
Having said all that, I don't think they're likely and there are probably better characters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, considering none of the popular characters either at first glance have a transform function NOR are they duo characters, I highly doubt they're going to try it. Although it'd certainly be neat to see it. A Plusle-Minun duo would be a bit more interesting than Pichu, albeit even less popular.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well, considering none of the popular characters either at first glance have a transform function NOR are they duo characters, I highly doubt they're going to try it. Although it'd certainly be neat to see it. A Plusle-Minun duo would be a bit more interesting than Pichu, albeit even less popular.
Yeah. It'd be a bit more trouble than it's worth in most cases, probably. Just the fact that it's possible is interesting enough on its own, though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Although to be honest, I'd ****ing JUMP on a Dixie-Kiddy tag team character.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how much this has been talked about but what about a Primid? I would think it has less work as it has a model some animations and even projectiles (although I don't know how the game sees those). Alot of room for imagination for the PMBR to work with, and not controversial as its only appearance ever is in Brawl.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I don't know how much this has been talked about but what about a Primid? I would think it has less work as it has a model some animations and even projectiles (although I don't know how the game sees those). Alot of room for imagination for the PMBR to work with, and not controversial as its only appearance ever is in Brawl.
Primid was discussed very early in the thread. A PMBR member clarified that they can't use a Primid's current weapons and projectiles in an actual moveset. Thus, this character loses it's only appeal, which would've been the ease of creating it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
About potential tag team characters like Kat and Ana, Plusle and Minun, etc., how would would they work differently from the icies? Their whole strength is their ungodly grab game, would the others focus more on the desynching aspect instead? Because the whole 2 as 1 character dynamic is what makes them unique, so adding a second set would involve serious consideration about how they would play differently.

Kes

Smash Cadet
I would like to vote for:
1. Lyndis
2. Issac
3. Saki Amamiya
4. Toad
5. Palutena

And toss up half votes for:

Sami
Ridley
Waluigi
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
Black Shadow
Samurai Goroh
Tetra

Not listed for voting at all, but I would love to see her is Palutena. If she is a option at all, replace Sami for her.

Edit: changed Sami to Palutena and made Sami a half vote instead. Wasn't initially sure if Palutena was an option since she wasn't in the OP.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I would like to vote for:
1. Lyndis
2. Issac
3. Saki Amamiya
4. Toad
5. Sami

And toss up half votes for:

Ridley
Waluigi
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
Black Shadow
Samurai Goroh
Tetra

Not listed for voting at all, but I would love to see her is Palutena. If she is a option at all, replace Sami for her.
If a character appeared in brawl then they are eligible.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Jimmy T. move of the hour. He can have a reworked version of Vanilla Wario's Tilt-B.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Can they actually give moves from different characters to a clone or is it just modifications to the base's moveset?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Can they actually give moves from different characters to a clone or is it just modifications to the base's moveset?
It's modifications of the base, but unless the desired move is, like, a projectile or something they can change the animation/stats/everything to be 100% unrecognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom