• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT: SDR Uber-Turnaround (SDRUT)

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
QFT.

Also, I have an odd desire to pick up Sonic now.

SDRUT totally beats DR on the name game. Why can't we have cool names?!
Because we haz teh Steak and you don't lulz

I'm gonna try that on PS2 SL to see if I can replicate that now. If what you say is correct it shoud be doable right? Er maybe I after I get some sleep XD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
But they apparently have Chicken Bacon Ranch.

...Okay seriously now, this is just like the USmash spike where it won't happen a lot and there is next to no way you can make it happen at will but if it happens, convinient.

Tenki

Smash Hero
oh yeah, except for PS2.

PS2, you can basically force it to happen, I think, lol.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I agree with ShadowLink. What he said is sorta what I was trying to say only he said it a lot better and more clearly. I figured you could probably do it without an opponent being there, but that it would be REALLY hard, but I wasn't sure. I think that actually clears this up rather well and now opens it up for us to figure out just how we can implement this into our games as far as getting an opponent near a ledge to get ourselves in position for it.

First I propose downthrow. Down throw your opponent so that they end up near the ledge and then immediately start charging a spin dash or spin charge. If they do a recovery attack, you can just shield cancel and run in for a grab if you are using spin dash, if you are using spin charge then just try to let it go and see if you can hit them and if you miss then use the spin dash next time. If they are smart, then they will not roll toward you. If they do, then they get hit when you let go of the spin. If they stand up normally, then hopefully they are close enough to the edge. If they roll back trying to get those extra few inches, then that is ideal. This would put them right where we want them to be and will let us use this SDRUT to land 19% on top of the % from the down throw and as many pummels as you got going into the down throw. Sounds like this could be a quick way to land 30% on an opponent.

My other idea is that we do this on Smashville's moving platform. I'm assuming the timing for this is probably rather hard. So, if we mess it up and we start our turn too late, them maybe we will instead end up with the SCROO. Win-win.

Any other ideas?

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol well, back then, we were alot more clueless on why things like this happened.

i had asked about it too :[

infomon

Smash Scientist
I should try him...I might just now.
Playing Sonic is a long hard road filled with frustration and despair. Until you're finally able to control him decently and then he's super fun, although still pretty bad :laugh:

Since this is my thread, I have less shame hamming out my side-B / down-B tutorial vid which might help you adjust to the *gulp* basics of these stupidly complicated moves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=vQ34M-Bdo6k

Anyway....
Thanks SL for the proper description of what happened! eez verrry innnnteresting.

And magnificentmarth's SDRUT-or-SCROO combo/trap would be fantastic.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
?: if the spin becomes an ASC, then rolls back on the stage, could not we be able to shield cancel the ASC right after and combo with an aerial or another grab?

Tenki

Smash Hero
?: if the spin becomes an ASC, then rolls back on the stage, could not we be able to shield cancel the ASC right after and combo with an aerial or another grab?
yes.

as long as it's an ASC > ground then yes.

infomon

Smash Scientist
yeah, that's why you can shield-cancel very slow SDRs; they become rolling ASCs and you can hit shield at any time to stop it.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Does this mean on PS2 Electric stages, our SDR basically as a pivot?
Or am I not understanding this? Dx

:093:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mv2f4KQug

Someone gotta explain this to me.

The SDR Uber-Turnaround (SDRUT) caused 19% to Teh_Umby. I'm guessing it happened somehow because of hitting his sheild? An SDR at the edge of the main platform, shieldpush allowed an SDR-turnaround to happen really fast, which allowed multiple SDR hits to happen all at once?

Crazy!

Thanks umby :)

also..... THIS IS MY 3000th POST!! RAWR!!!

:psycho: -- :054: -- :093: -- :054: -- :psycho:

:psycho: -- :054: -- :093: -- :054: -- :psycho:

Interesting.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i dunno if i sound like a hater, but is this really gonna help sonic's metagame? think about it. if this is only capable on the edge, then how does this helps sonic's ground game overall? Outside of a "did you know" kind of thing, I don't see any incenticve to work this in my game right now. if there was something similar i could do anywhere, then i'd go for it no matter how hard it was to do, but i just dont wanna spend energy on this anymore. its awesome though, but i fear its too awesome to control into steak.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
its more for awesome kicks if this is in the back of your mind and your opponent is shielding at edge. you'd think oh snap, i can do SDRUT and gain respect points.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
exactly. that's why I kinda dont wanna deal wit it ( I say that but I'm trying to find something about it righ tnow) but i guess it doesn't matter. im going back to bed.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Maybe some Sonic's might start developing a game around pushing their opponents to the edge (D-throw, Ftilt?) and then punishing it with this, and gimping and overall massive pressure who knows?

Edit: Fair point Kinzer, I'm just pointing out that this has a little bit more potential than it might be given at the moment.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
D-Throw sucks if your opponent knows how to tech it.
Not allways. Many chars cant do anything important out of a dthrow tech allowing for an easy regrab for Sonic. *looks at MK* ^_^

Also, I would like to look into this in terms of what the subtleties might mean... I'm curous about phase changes.

infomon

Smash Scientist
i dunno if i sound like a hater, but is this really gonna help sonic's metagame?
No. :)

but yeah the point is to unravel the mystery of sonic's b-moves so we don't get surprised during matches when random stuff like this happens. ftw!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh CiTH's gonna love that.

Was that you by any chance ITT?

Edit: Yeah okay nevermind, the video title is right there in mah face.

But when did you get that recorded?

You must have some amazing Tech skill to do that shizz.

I wonder what else Sonic is capable of.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Hm, so Brawl requires more tech skill then we all thought. :p
Good stuff ITT, hahaha. I wonder if you could Spinshot out of SCROO, lmao.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
WOAH. That is crazy! That must've been perfect timing, but how do you do a spin shot so fast while you're in ASC mode?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
WOAH. That is crazy! That must've been perfect timing, but how do you do a spin shot so fast while you're in ASC mode?
I'd imagine he was going for a jump cancel, but then from the SDRUT, it turned into a spinshot (which is basically just a double jump)

That looks sexy though, and CiTH didn't do it D:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
CiTH got his Steak grilled.

But seriously can SS be done that fast? I always have to wait a little bit after the Spindash or else I get that dreaded jump in place, and doing that in the air is just making myself easier to gimp.

Or do I just need to do moar ASCSS (Aerial SpinCharge Spinshot?)

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
So did he spin shot from the turn around? Or did he start a whole now spindash and spin shot from the beginning of that?

Cause is you could spin shot from the SDR turn around animation, that would be boss.
It'd be like shell shifting... except... not...

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
The only way I can picture it is if you move your left hand to the C-stick hitting it right as you jump cancel.

Otherwise my hands can't humanly go that fast. /im2slow

Tenki

Smash Hero
I can explain what happens >_>;

it's a variant on the '3rd spinshot':
SDR > roll off edge + instantly [attack]/[jump]

Except in this case, it's

SDR > turnaround-roll off edge + instantly [attack]/[jump]

It's two timing-intensive things at once:
SDRUT - [SDR] > (contact on edge) + [turnaround]
and
SDR>ASC spinshot - [SDR] > roll off edge + instant [attack]/[jump]

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
So, let me get this straight...Kirby shielded, and Sonic TRIED to turn around, but went into the position of falling off the cliff. And, in that short time frame, ITT somehow spinshotted...IN THE OPPOSITE WAY? How can that even be replicated?

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think it'd be easier if you just said what buttons you have to press.
regular off-stage spinshot:
roll off > (perfect timing) jump/attack

SDRUT off-stage spinshot:
hit someone by edge > hit [back] to turn > roll off > (perfect timing) jump/attack

It's not a crazy button combination at all, it's just intense timing.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The way I see it, if it can be done accidentally without the use of frame-by-frame Tool assistance, then it can sure as Hell be mastered, replicated, and carried-out. There are no limits to Sonic's potential. It's not as intimidating when I think of it as that way

Too bad that a SDRUTSS has no uses except maybe in doubles for positioning for a partner/2nd opponent but then it can't be done without a vessel (the guy at the ledge lol), in which case just doing a SDRUT can get you an ASC+SDR combo and end up in the same if not place anyway. >.>

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
sweet jesus we have too many acronyms.
but I'll give some of that stuff a try tonight.
that is too sexy no to try.

Top Bottom