• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I'd honestly be ok if PK Thunder was replaced with a different move like Teleport. It's always been my least favorite thing about the character in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Saw it yeah. Think it's very likely Ness will be back anyway.

What I also noticed is that Fennekin has an attack that's veryyy similar looking to PK Fire. Maybe the move is gone for Ness?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Franklin badge and Mr Saturn are back so I don't think the Mother series is in danger. The question is Ness or Lucas.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Franklin badge and Mr Saturn are back so I don't think the Mother series is in danger. The question is Ness or Lucas.
IMO Ness deserves to return over Lucas. Ness is part of the original 12, so it wouldn't seem right to have him missing from this game.

But who knows? Maybe both will return!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
IMO Ness deserves to return over Lucas. Ness is part of the original 12, so it wouldn't seem right to have him missing from this game.

Yea lucas is still iffy but ness is a lock thanks to the franklin badge and mr Saturn coming back

nessokman

Smash Lord
Lucas and Ness both need updates, they are using moves they never had in their respective games. Lucas is a highly defensive and healing based unit, His only attacks are PK Flash and PK Love. He uses various shields and heals. I think ness is the same way, with Poo being the tank in that game with PSI. I think shooting shields would be interesting, certain attacks reflect things, others halve damage. It would be interesting

Ness needs PSI Teleport for a special

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash

I agree with this, Earth Bound characters will rep in Sm4sh (Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn as mentioned above). Ness is in, O12 > all, but I think either Lucas will be cut or he (and Falco) will be secret characters since they're clones/semi-clones. Then again, with Link/Toon Link revealed, it's like you say.

Who knows...SAKURAI THAT'S WHO!! The man who makes an art form out of trolling (dat Substitute in the chair = Greninja hint. LOL priceless. And the Ridley shadow and Pseudo Palutena, I almost died of laughter)

As for moveset changes, his UpB could use some love (high risk needs higher reward), and PK Thunder could use a boost too. Even something like being useable despite touching/ being in a platform would be much-appreciated QoL for our red-capped psychic.

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Lucas and Ness both need updates, they are using moves they never had in their respective games. Lucas is a highly defensive and healing based unit, His only attacks are PK Flash and PK Love. He uses various shields and heals. I think ness is the same way, with Poo being the tank in that game with PSI. I think shooting shields would be interesting, certain attacks reflect things, others halve damage. It would be interesting

Ness needs PSI Teleport for a special
Both characters are physical tanks that primarily use support PSI, but I can understand why they use offensive PSI they didn't have originally since they are the only reps of their franchise and we wouldn't see those moves otherwise. Still, I think the best route to take would be to keep Ness the same while making Lucas a more defensive character like he originally was.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
I know Ness is going to be in due to being one of the OG 12, Lucas is 50/50 in my opinion. Seeing that Franklin badge up above was a sigh of relief to me haha.
They seriously need to buff up Ness. Change his Up B(Recovery) to 4th D Slip or PSI Teleport(I apologize if this has been said).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ness is more likely to appear to me. Lucas might be cut to give Ness some customizable moves.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Earthbound things to include.

Ness returns as playable character

Paula should be a Assist Trophy.

Threed should be a stage.

Remove Lucas, one rep is enough for Earthbound, either that or replace him with Paula.

I'd love to see Paula in this game, her Final Smash, Wish.
>Lucas replaced with Paula
Umm, hell no. :denzel:

The Threed stage I agree with. An arrangement of the zombie Threed music would be epic :ness:

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know, with all the changes that veterans are getting, it'd make sense for Ness to be more akin to his actual form from EarthBound while Lucas stays the same.

Time to dig up the old moveset:

B- PK Flash: Same as before, perhaps made to be easier to connect or control.
UpB- PK Teleport: PK Teleport would work with Ness spinning rapidly in the air and then exploding into whatever direction you aim the attack, the longer you hold it, the further you fly, similar to Diddy's recovery. When you fly out of the portal at the end of the move, you'll be in a similar projectile state as a PKT2.
SideB- PK Rockin': Replaces PK Fire, works with the same principal, however is a stronger attack with a wider vertical range that no longer traps enemies. You can charge the move and release it for a devastating attack that will briefly stun an enemy before sending them flying.
DownB- PSI Magnet: Same as before, but now has the property of damaging enemies similarly to Lucas'.
Final Smash- PK Star Storm: A mixup of Ness and Lucas' Star Storm, stars will fly down randomly in both a straight and fanning pattern.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I love PK Thunder, it's one of my favorite moves. Sure, it's impractical and doesn't represent the character well, but launching yourself as a missile is incredibly fun. I'm completely okay with Ness getting teleport if Lucas comes back and still has thunder, though (his thunder worked much better as recovery, anyway.)

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of both Ness and MOTHER series. My opinion, though, is Ness has to be very changed in Smash 4. I wouldn't talk about eliminating PK Thunder, but re-thinking it. Making it just a not-so-easy-recovery instead of a freaking-impossible-recovery. Then, there are a couple of ground attacks that should be increased in power, speed and priority. Also, I would include a sweetspot in his bat (I know it already has) and in his yoyo. I don't want an EarthBound Marth, but a good fighter that combines PSI, yoyo, bat and kicks.

And yes, to do this, it's probably needed to cut off Lucas. As I said, I'm a big MOTHER fan, but I have to admit two characters is a lot for a non-successful Japan-only series. Also, I don't like clones, so cutting Lucas could give us more variety and a better Ness.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Changes I would love to see for Ness:
  • Grab release BS removed.
  • D-air as fast as Smash64.
  • Double Jump Cancel back.
  • PK Flash moves farther and faster.
  • PK Thunder2 travels further, retaining hitbox and Ness doesn't fall helpless if it is interrupted.
  • Make PSI Magnet do damage.
  • Reduce the lag of all his moves.
  • Give him more reach.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm a big fan of both Ness and MOTHER series. My opinion, though, is Ness has to be very changed in Smash 4. I wouldn't talk about eliminating PK Thunder, but re-thinking it. Making it just a not-so-easy-recovery instead of a freaking-impossible-recovery. Then, there are a couple of ground attacks that should be increased in power, speed and priority. Also, I would include a sweetspot in his bat (I know it already has) and in his yoyo. I don't want an EarthBound Marth, but a good fighter that combines PSI, yoyo, bat and kicks.

And yes, to do this, it's probably needed to cut off Lucas. As I said, I'm a big MOTHER fan, but I have to admit two characters is a lot for a non-successful Japan-only series. Also, I don't like clones, so cutting Lucas could give us more variety and a better Ness.
I really don't want to sacrifise Lucas, but I guess a combined version of Ness and Lucas would make a very good fighter. Some range buffs with PSI-infused physical attacks would be a good design choice for Ness. Maybe he can use the Yo-Yo for some of his tilts, and have PSI blasts for Smash attacks like Lucas?

Also, Fennekin uses a fire attack that looks extremely similar to Ness' PK Fire! It could be that Ness's Special attacks will be revamped greatly. Sure, PK Fire and Thunder are starting to become extremely iconic to Ness in Smash, but have no problem seeing them being replaced for something else at all!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
My god it's like every other post on Miiverse is like "please Sakurai put Ness back in!" It's like they think he's not coming back. He's probably unlockable, so he won't be revealed until after launch anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Before, it was all about Yoshi so am not surprised.

I have no doubts about Ness. But am more worried about Lucas honestly.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
Upon reading this forum, I see the majority agree that Ness should teleport. I think this is overused. Personally I think it would be cool for the yo-yo to catch ledges much like Olimar's or Ivysaur's up B. Being that Olimar's recovery jump is changed, along with Zero Suit Samus', and the sad fact that Ivysaur is most likely not returning, this would make the move for ledge catching with the yo-yo exclusive to Ness.

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
I think the reason why Ness isn't confirmed yet is because he will have a big move set chance.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
He wasn't revealed in Brawl until after its release, so there might not really be a reason to not reveal him.

D

Deleted member

At the very least I hope they change his Final Smash to PK Rockin.

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
Yeah I just hope ness gets a new move set. I think his final snash can stay the same but pk rockin shoul just be his b

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea I had a while ago I that I posted in the Lucas thread: PK Fire is replaced by something he actually used in Earthbound like Paralysis, which could act as a fast, close range projectile that stuns the target for a brief moment, which would go well with his close range fighting style. Plus this would further separate him from Lucas.

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
I think that if you stick to the actual games ness and Lucas will
Be different. Ness is more offensive while Lucas is more devensive. That would declone them in my opinion

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Looking back at it now, it looks like we already have out Ness confirmation. We already have our Charizard confirmation.
*I doubt Dark Pit will be playable though, most likely a color swap.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

Looking back at it now, it looks like we already have out Ness confirmation. We already have out Charizard confirmation.
*I doubt Dark Pit will be playable though, most likely a color swap.
Was this from last year? I could not find it when I went to his twitter page. :/

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Give Ness an alternate recovery so he'll be viable for competitive, but DO NOT eliminate PK Thunder. That would be an utter travesty.

Or like others have said, just make PKT2 less gimpable (EG if someone eats it, you can do it again).

Last edited:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Ness is long overdue for a move change. Lucas can have the same moves lol.

Final Smash should be PSI Rockin Omega

Morbi

Scavenger
I only really play Ness in Project M, where he is one of my mains, other than that, I have never been partial to his move-set. I wouldn't mind a change, but I suppose Lucas is there for that.

Requiem Strider

Smash Rookie
NNID
Requiem_Strider
3DS FC
0044-3073-6859
It would be nice if Ness had PK Brainshock. It could work like Mewtwo's Disable. He could also have PSI Shield work as a reflector of sorts..maybe have the reflective effects linger for a couple of seconds, like having a Franklin Badge equipped. PK Paralysis could work like Zero Suit Samus' Paralyzer, albeit faster since it wouldn't be chargeable. I'm also on agreement of his recovery being PK Teleport. I want PK Rockin as well or at least have the aesthetic of it being seen in his attacks, like Lucas. Above all else, I miss his old victory theme. I loved to hear it, especially in Melee. It always gave me goosebumps, such a compelling tune that reflected his journey in Earthbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom