• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think when SSB4 is released Ness will be like -2 or -3 against Villager...
- drop bowling ball on PK Thunder 2
- gimp him with the item collect
- camp him with the slingshot
- disjointed ground game
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Villager was a hard counter for Ness...
wellllll...
- ness rarely recovers directly under the ledge, so I don't think it'll be that much of a problem.
- yes, he could be gimped with item collect, villager does seem to have good recovery to go with that. ness's second jump usually suffices when it comes to getting back though.
- maybe, but if ness can jump higher than Villager, it shouldn't be so bad I guess. depends on what villager gets for U-air! x_x
- yeah, that will probably be annoying, but with a good dash attack (and if he keeps his godly dash grab), ness might get get an upper hand and get some aerials in.

item collect might not completely work in villagers favor when on the stage, since ness can always absorb it later (or reflect with F- smash).:grin:

still can't wait to play as both though!

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
wellllll...
- ness rarely recovers directly under the ledge, so I don't think it'll be that much of a problem.
- yes, he could be gimped with item collect, villager does seem to have good recovery to go with that. ness's second jump usually suffices when it comes to getting back though.
- maybe, but if ness can jump higher than Villager, it shouldn't be so bad I guess. depends on what villager gets for U-air! x_x
- yeah, that will probably be annoying, but with a good dash attack (and if he keeps his godly dash grab), ness might get get an upper hand and get some aerials in.

item collect might not completely work in villagers favor when on the stage, since ness can always absorb it later (or reflect with F- smash).:grin:

still can't wait to play as both though!
- isn't the bowling ball bigger than his ledge snap range?
- if Villager has like a Marth Dtilt...
- he could have a very annoying anti-air Usmash. like waving the shovel or fishing rod
ooh i had an idea what if Villager's Item Collect = Gdubs bucket. That would be a lot better for Ness onstage.

grizby2

Smash Lord
- isn't the bowling ball bigger than his ledge snap range?
- if Villager has like a Marth Dtilt...
- he could have a very annoying anti-air Usmash. like waving the shovel or fishing rod
ooh i had an idea what if Villager's Item Collect = Gdubs bucket. That would be a lot better for Ness onstage.
- i usually don't have a problem with the snap range. you shouldn't ALWAYS go for the ledge if you don't have to.
- if he hits you with a D-tilt or anything of the like, just prepare another well aimed recovery. but if i remember correctly, getting hit in pkt2 makes you lose the ability to hit anyone, but you still move after the collision, that should be enough to get you back on stage. we might see some nice changes for ness's recovery hopefully
- that depends on the nature of the Usmash. if its like zeldas (who was caught in a snap shot today, yay!) then it'll be a bit of a problem for ness. but if its like Lucas's, ness can punish him after an air dodge.

just thinking of item collect... its probably gonna be my favorite move when i play villager.
i wonder if you can aim what you catch..

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
- i usually don't have a problem with the snap range. you shouldn't ALWAYS go for the ledge if you don't have to.
- if he hits you with a D-tilt or anything of the like, just prepare another well aimed recovery. but if i remember correctly, getting hit in pkt2 makes you lose the ability to hit anyone, but you still move after the collision, that should be enough to get you back on stage. we might see some nice changes for ness's recovery hopefully
- that depends on the nature of the Usmash. if its like zeldas (who was caught in a snap shot today, yay!) then it'll be a bit of a problem for ness. but if its like Lucas's, ness can punish him after an air dodge.

just thinking of item collect... its probably gonna be my favorite move when i play villager.
i wonder if you can aim what you catch..
- if you don't go for the ledge he can probably do the shovel or something

- if you get Dtilted and try to PKT2 again you'll have the bowling ball dropped on your head...

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
ness PKT1 OoS >>>>> bowser's drop kick
ness PKT2 OoS >>>>> all of bowser's crap
ness PKT3 OoS >>>>> everyone

PKT3 is when you tailwhip them and hit yourself into them. except it doesnt exist.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Ness is usually my secondary, hopefully he gets announced soon enough!

grizby2

Smash Lord
king dedede looks pretty good in hd, vibrant colors! ness should look just as good!

by the way..

finally ordered my shirt! now I got something to wear on release day~ THX CUSTOM INK! :awesome:
(really though, they delivered freakin' fast.)

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Ness can have a improved PK Thunder like Lucas;
It goes through platforms, and if it hits the projectiles it knocks it away.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
should we be hoping for improvments/changes with Ness this time around? I don't expect much more than tweaking and whatnot but my god would I love for his PK Thunder to be reworked

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Alright, maybe PK Thunder is his neutral b, while he gets a new up-b?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
should we be hoping for improvments/changes with Ness this time around? I don't expect much more than tweaking and whatnot but my god would I love for his PK Thunder to be reworked
Maybe leave Lucas with PK Thunder and give Ness PK Teleport? Or just make PK Thunder better, I'm not too sure.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
PK and PSI are interchangeable =p also I say keep Ness's neutral B as PK Flash as its the only move that is actually his.
Teleport would be fine I suppose....I would want it to be less generic than mewtwos for example though

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
PK and PSI are interchangeable
"PK" and ONLY "PK" is only prefixed for offensive moves.
"PSI" is prefixed for all non-offensive moves except Shield and Counter.

Teleport is in the "Other" category, i.e. not offensive
Therefore it is "PSI Teleport".

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
maybe im getting a little rusty on my mother knowledge but in all the Japanese releases it was always PK...and then when mother2 was localized they changed ALL instances of PK to PSI

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
Ness has to return. I'm a big Ness fan, and I was so excited when I heard that SSB4 was to come out, so I can finally see if I'm good enough to compete with Ness on a whole other level. Did I miss any conformation of his reappearance earlier in the thread?
btw first post woohoo

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Ness has to return. I'm a big Ness fan, and I was so excited when I heard that SSB4 was to come out, so I can finally see if I'm good enough to compete with Ness on a whole other level. Did I miss any conformation of his reappearance earlier in the thread?
btw first post woohoo
Well, just use google images and look up "Ness GIF". It should appear somewhere.

grizby2

Smash Lord
The mother 4 soundtrack sounds absolutely amazing! I can't wait for it to come out this year. I reeealy hope they add more battle music from the franchise this time around :glare:

btw first post woohoo

no confirmation yet as far as I know, but we all know he'll come back (cuz that's what our psi powers tell us!)

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I have a feeling that Ness will be the only one to get in, and not Lucas.

Last edited:

PKPelican

Smash Rookie
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Mother series, but for me, I personally feel strange using a move as Ness that he originally didn't know. I personally want another Earthbound character added, like maybe Jeff Andonuts or Paula Polestar, also characters from Earthbound, who are quite different from Ness. A reboot of Ness would be absolutely appropriate, and it would be perfect for possibly adding Paula, Jeff, or any other Mother character. The idea of PK Teleport being a replacement would be a good idea, but I absolutely treasure PKT2. It has an amazing knockback on it, and losing that would be sort of terrifying for me (unless if PK Teleport had some knockback on it). The idea of having his weapons from Earthbound added to his move set is great, too. The yo-yo could be great, and the baseball bat is already pretty awesome. As much as I love Ness in Smash, I think he should be changed to fit the real Ness a bit more.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ahh can't believe I haven't posted on this thread yet. Very much looking forward to Ness, I hope he is revealed soon.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Can't wait for Ness' reveal; I'm certain he'll be back. He has been in the Smash series since the very beginning after all. I'm not expecting too many changes with him, but an improvement in the recovery department certainly wouldn't hurt him.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, (fellow) Ness fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Ness is a lock, but Lucas is suffering and could use some help. Got the time to vote?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm pretty darn sure that Ness is coming back! I had bought Earthbound for Wii U at its virtual console release date, Ness was one of my two best characters in Brawl (the other being Sonic), and he's been with us from the very beginning.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
People saying that PK Thunder is not that hard do not understand how bad it is at high level play, especially so in melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom