• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Love the idea of Ness getting revamped specials but I hate the idea of Lucas becoming just an alt.

That's just my opinion though.
Hear, hear.
I hate the idea of ANYONE being demoted to just an alternative costume. The only characters I could see being an alternate costume that don't upset me are Dr. Mario (always was Mario anyway, just wearing a stethoscope) and Dark Pit (he's literally created FROM him, but I'd still like him as a separate character). Otherwise, I'd have been REAL upset if Lucina was just an alternate costume for Marth like everyone here was claiming that awful day.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Actually Ike is present on the back of the Japanese Brawl box, he's right below Charizard getting hit by Mario's final Smash.
As for Lucas I'm not sure, is the franchise itself a part of APE inc and Shigesato Itoi? that could probably be why Lucas would get included with it....

Well so long as every company that took part in the games in any way at least gets credited in the actual in game's credits. I suppose he could leave most of the list out and only credit those who's characters are a part of the game's box to save themselves a lot of space.....
Yeah, that's true. As long as they do get credit in the credits, it probably doesn't matter. I wish we could find out if Lucas or Ness are in the game though, it's like we get stopped at every turn we have to finding out.

@
spiderfreak1011
APE Inc and Shigesato Itoi were listed on Brawl's cover because Lucas is shown in the back, his game wasn't developed by APE but the Mother franchise itself does belong to them and Shigesato Itoi which is why they were listed.

It's safe to say they're not listed on Smash 4 because they don't appear anywhere on the cover front nor back, like @Kikwi-Kiwi says Intelligent Systems were not listed on Melee's cover because Marth and Roy doesn't appear anywhere on it. And Ike is indeed on the back of the Brawl cover, that's why they were listed there.

I wouldn't worry about Ness coming back, there are already 2 Earthbound items confirmed (Franklin Bade and Mr. Saturn) his game was re-released officially worldwide for the first time recently on Wii U, and the biggest no brainer is that he's a veteran from the original Smash. Which garuantees his return, if anything Sakurai might have something planned for him on the 27th August which is the 20th anniversary of his game. There's going to be Mother 2 figurines coming out in Japan that day to celebrate it, that could leave a big opportunity for the Ness amiibo to be shown.

Probably won't happen, but it would be very nice if it did. Lucas however is another story. He may seem like a very likely candidate to be cut, but with characters like Toon Link, Lucario and Ike returning i wouldn't worry too much about Lucas.
Ok, i see your point then. I hope Ness or Lucas get revealed soon. Im sure Ness is back guaranteed, but Lucas is the one i'm really worried about if we're getting back.

Yeah, the anniversary would be perfect, but i doubt it. They skipped over the Mother 25th anniversary, so i'm not pinning my hopes on them doing anything for this one.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
It's already 42 days until Smash 3DS' release and I'm freaking out.

Ness, Jeff, Lucas or even Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge hasn't been comfirmed as of today. Gah, Sakurai, don't do this to me..

Last edited:

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
Frank;
It's already 42 days until Smash 3DS' release and I'm freaking out.

Ness, Jeff, Lucas or even Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge hasn't been comfirmed as of today. Gah, Sakurai, don't do this to me..
Dude the franklin badge has been shown

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Am I the only one who thinks Ness will automatically have a good recovery now that you can't really effectively edgehog in smash4? Just go for the ledge every time. They would require unreasonably timing to edgehog PKT2 by edgehogging from the stage when Wavedashing doesn't exist. (since they can't just keep grabbing the edge to edgehog)

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Ledges work differently in Smash 4. If someone tries to grab a ledge while someone is already hanging from it, the player that was hanging will jump up and away from the stage automatically, allowing the next player to grab it instead. Let me see if I can find the video that demonstrates it...

Burruni

Smash Hero
I will admit this: The only Mother game I have played through is 3, though I've watched all 3 be played through. In all 3 (4 if you count P:M) Smash games I have begrudgingly played Ness (and Lucas) when needed for the game modes and/or when I randomed them because their playstyle doesn't mix well with me.

HOWEVER.

The Mother series is a big part of Nintendo's fairly-early JRPG history and a subsect of Nintendo culture. There is no fear that at least one, though odds are still for both, of the Mother boys will return. With seniority and iconicism on his side, Ness is tied in likeliness to return with P-Jiggles for most likely newcomers to return... basically guaranteed. Let us await to see the slayer of Gigyas with his iconic shirt with that bit of a 5th yellow stripe peeking out from him improperly tucking in his shirt. It'd feel wrong if either of them were cut when Lucas has a large potential to differentiate greatly from Ness, even if my prefered M3 rep would have been Kumatora. Hold your heads high and sing your 8 melodies, PK Prayers.

You can respect a character you don't like to play, and you should.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Perhaps it's been asked already, but what buffs (nerfs?) would you like to see regarding Ness in Smash 4?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
No nerfs, he doesn't deserve them with his horrible design in Brawl. For buffs, A buffed PK Thunder that cannot be interrupted, or at the very least, not leaving him helpless. PSI Magnet that actually damages and that doesn't have an hour of cooldown. A PK Flash that is actually productive. Remove the stupid grab release frames, Yoyos, D-Air and N-Air from Smash 64, and a general increase in speed and reach. If Bowser can have speed and good reach, there's no excuse for Ness not to have these kind of buffs.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Perhaps it's been asked already, but what buffs (nerfs?) would you like to see regarding Ness in Smash 4?
A PK Fire that goes Straight. That really bugged me in Brawl when it kept going downward!

The Def Cheetah Fiasco

Smash Rookie
Discuss all information pertaining to Ness in this thread.

:ness2:
Ness is most likely going to be in the next super smash brothers for a collection of reasons. 1 he is a veteran since the beginning of super smash bros. 2 They released Earthbound on the Wii U because of how many fans asked them to release. These two reasons are prime examples of why Ness and maybe Lucas should be in the next super smash bros.

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
I play ness in melee and project m, and I have to say, I really enjoy the pm version. From brawl od say buff his up air and neutrail air. Buff fair just enough so he can compete with all the other characters buffs. Increase the knockback on down air.

Pk flash should have speed boost, pk thunder should let you fly longer and faster. Maybe deal more damage as well. I love pk magnet it pm, so I'd like that but with less lag. I'd love it if the knockback was like a shine (lol).

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I would like it if PK Fire could be aimed. During the startup lag of PK Fire you choose a direction and then Ness fires in that direction. This is the same way Firefox is aimed. It would also have the effect going its normal distance but only as long as you hold the B button. On release of the B button the flames will erupt. I would prefer this to the PM version that starts on shields.

I would like Ness to not enter freefall unless he hits himself with PK Thunder(as opposed to now where he goes into freefall for just using upB).

I would like to increase the range of Ness' grab. I would increase the length of PK Thunder's tail by 1-2 hitboxes. I would significantly decrease the startup lag of PK Thunder and slightly decrease the ending lag of PK Thunder(2). I would decrease all lag involved with PSI Magnet.

I would make PK Flash larger and have less lag when uncharged. I would make it so Ness' PK Thunder does not disappear when he is hit.

These are all changes I would make starting with Ness as he is in Melee.

Ahmad Mohammad

Smash Rookie
Enough with this subject, Ness's up-special will stay the same, all they have to do is improve it, and improve him generally, all his attacks, as he is "the one who saves the past by going to the future by his special powers!" About the PK Teleport, it's his entrance by teleporting from home to battle, If he teleports just a a few meters he would fly away for nothing, if you didn't play the game, I did, and the way he teleports takes long by running far enough at a fast speed. PK Teleport = Entrance | PK Thunder = Up-Special...

Now to what I wanted to say out of the subject and not interesting... I had a dream where Captain Falcon and a few others my brain cannot remember, were just fighting, in normal camera angle, until, Ness teleported in, with a another thing, it was his dog (King), and they write their names up in English and Japanese and someone reading it, most likely Sakurai, and Ness had another name, I forgot too, but King was straight called (Dog), then they show the gameplay part, where they play something like Rosalina and Luma... The way I was supposed to be watching the reveal was like "Leaked" low quality/definition, I don't remember what are their attacks exactly, it was very hard to remember after waking up, but King? No way, he just fought in the first few fights and he never appears to do anything else rather than sleep... :ness2::ness2::ness2::nessmelee::nessmelee::nessmelee::ness64::ness64::ness64:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly this might be a bit controversial, but I want some drastic changes to Ness.

Let me list them:
-Ness' yo-yo should reach further than it did in Melee and Brawl by just a small bit for both his up and down smash. It should come back roughly as quick, if not quicker.

-Give Ness' forward air and running attack more range.

-Ness' down air should be reverted back to the Smash 64 down air with the meteor smash and all. It should come out a bit slower than in 64, but have less after lag (sans when it it Z-cancelled in Smash 64).

-Ness' neutral B should go farther and function as a KO move the longer you charge it. It should be somewhat similar to how it functions in Project M, only it should move farther faster, and not KO really well until it is charged for a longer period of time. The longer it stays out though, the slower it should be able to move as time goes on.

-Have the "customized moves" fr Ness' neutral B (PK Flash) be a strong yet very slow moving version of his PK Flash that KO's very early (like a powered up version of the Melee/Brawl version of the move). Have the other version of it be where the moves emits energy have, and dub it PK Rockin.

-Have Ness' PK Fire function mostly how it does in Project M. Maybe have it tower up a higher flame to control spacing more.

-Have the customized moves for Ness' forward B become the 64 version of PK Fire (where it does like somewhere around 8-10% outright), and a Shoryuken-esk version of it where it fires like a ball and go straight but slow (have that do about 4-6%) to the point where you can combo and control space with it.

(I'd conversely give Lucas a move like PK Freeze in PM with an "aiming" variant as well as a freeze effect variant)

-Make Ness' down B (PK Shield) have a shine-like effect when it hits a foe, but have it just be a straight-forward side pushing effect when this happens.

-Have one for the down B be PK Hypnosis where Ness creates a slightly barrier than PK Shield and any foe touching it is Hypnotized. The other variant of the move can be PK Paralysis where Ness creates a fairly larger barrier and any foe touching the barrier moves 50% slower for a few seconds or until next hit with a move that deals 5% or more.

-Change Ness' up B entirely to PK Teleport. Have it be kinda like Pit's new up B mixed with Mewtwo's teleport. Have it start out with Ness running forward (you can angle it up or down slightly) and then teleport decently far. However, if Ness runs into an object while running, he can't wall tech, and his body turns black from the smoke/flame.

Also, give Ness' PK Thunder to Lucas as a PK Thunder variant for Lucas.

-Have Ness' up B first variant be the quick spinning teleport that damages foes badly who are caught in the middle of the circle, although it doesn't travel as far. Have the final up B variant be Ness doing a just a straight running teleport that you can control moreso than the default teleport.

-Change Ness' Final Smash to a super attack with his friends Poo, Jeff, and Paula.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Honestly this might be a bit controversial, but I want some drastic changes to Ness.

Let me list them:
-Ness' yo-yo should reach further than it did in Melee and Brawl by just a small bit for both his up and down smash. It should come back roughly as quick, if not quicker.

-Give Ness' forward air and running attack more range.

-Ness' down air should be reverted back to the Smash 64 down air with the meteor smash and all. It should come out a bit slower than in 64, but have less after lag (sans when it it Z-cancelled in Smash 64).

-Ness' neutral B should go farther and function as a KO move the longer you charge it. It should be somewhat similar to how it functions in Project M, only it should move farther faster, and not KO really well until it is charged for a longer period of time. The longer it stays out though, the slower it should be able to move as time goes on.

-Have the "customized moves" fr Ness' neutral B (PK Flash) be a strong yet very slow moving version of his PK Flash that KO's very early (like a powered up version of the Melee/Brawl version of the move). Have the other version of it be where the moves emits energy have, and dub it PK Rockin.

-Have Ness' PK Fire function mostly how it does in Project M. Maybe have it tower up a higher flame to control spacing more.

-Have the customized moves for Ness' forward B become the 64 version of PK Fire (where it does like somewhere around 8-10% outright), and a Shoryuken-esk version of it where it fires like a ball and go straight but slow (have that do about 4-6%) to the point where you can combo and control space with it.

(I'd conversely give Lucas a move like PK Freeze in PM with an "aiming" variant as well as a freeze effect variant)

-Make Ness' down B (PK Shield) have a shine-like effect when it hits a foe, but have it just be a straight-forward side pushing effect when this happens.

-Have one for the down B be PK Hypnosis where Ness creates a slightly barrier than PK Shield and any foe touching it is Hypnotized. The other variant of the move can be PK Paralysis where Ness creates a fairly larger barrier and any foe touching the barrier moves 50% slower for a few seconds or until next hit with a move that deals 5% or more.

-Change Ness' up B entirely to PK Teleport. Have it be kinda like Pit's new up B mixed with Mewtwo's teleport. Have it start out with Ness running forward (you can angle it up or down slightly) and then teleport decently far. However, if Ness runs into an object while running, he can't wall tech, and his body turns black from the smoke/flame.

Also, give Ness' PK Thunder to Lucas as a PK Thunder variant for Lucas.

-Have Ness' up B first variant be the quick spinning teleport that damages foes badly who are caught in the middle of the circle, although it doesn't travel as far. Have the final up B variant be Ness doing a just a straight running teleport that you can control moreso than the default teleport.

-Change Ness' Final Smash to a super attack with his friends Poo, Jeff, and Anna.
Who is Anna? Do you mean Paula?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, looks like we're getting Ness back if this leak / footage is real. No sign of poor Lucas on the character select though; that's too bad. I wish we could have seen some of Ness in the footage, but I guess we'll see him soon when the Japanese version comes anyway.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting for the full, clear picture to judge. It looks alright but some of the details are blurred by the awkward photo.

infomon

Smash Scientist
These are the changes I want for Ness, and I've wanted them since 64 (I mained Ness in 64, I was disappointed in Melee-Ness)
  • Ness needs a wall-jump, more than any other character.
  • Up-B when he hits himself, he needs to go farther. In Melee they nerfed the distance from 64 and that was sad.
  • PK-Fire needs controllable angle, or at least make it customizable. I always always wanted it to go straight like Lucas', since long before Lucas. Sigh, stupid Lucas.
  • Yo-Yo needs longer range soooo much, and maybe we could make it a bit faster too. It's so useless in brawl...

nirvashtypezero

Smash Rookie
This is the most religious I've ever been in my life.

PS: Is it bad that I'm considering not even getting the new version of SSB if the Mother characters don't get confirmed (at least Ness)? It's just really heart breaking for me to not see Ness or Lucas return...
Though I do like the villager quite a bit, I dunno how I would feel about my mains being removed from the game. I'd still play it with other friends who have it! I just don't know how encouraged I'd be to play on my own.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
PS: Is it bad that I'm considering not even getting the new version of SSB if the Mother characters don't get confirmed (at least Ness)? It's just really heart breaking for me to not see Ness or Lucas return...
It would really stink if Ness and Lucas didn't return (they were my mains in Brawl). Although at this point, I think it's safe to say that at least one of them (most likely Ness) will return, since we have Mr. Saturn, Franklin Badge, and [according to the leak] the Devil Car as an enemy in Smash Run. Some say Lucas won't make it, but I'll just keep praying that he does.
:lucas:

nirvashtypezero

Smash Rookie
These are the changes I want for Ness, and I've wanted them since 64 (I mained Ness in 64, I was disappointed in Melee-Ness)
  • Up-B when he hits himself, he needs to go farther. In Melee they nerfed the distance from 64 and that was sad.
  • PK-Fire needs controllable angle, or at least make it customizable. I always always wanted it to go straight like Lucas', since long before Lucas. Sigh, stupid Lucas.
  • Yo-Yo needs longer range soooo much, and maybe we could make it a bit faster too. It's so useless in brawl...
  • I'm not sure about the Up-B being farther since PK Rocket is even considered to be one of the more powerful moves in the game. Maybe if it was made weaker, then it could be longer? But it would suck to have lost that momentum, really.
  • Instead of the yo-yo, wouldn't it be cooler if (in the situation where it's only Ness and not Lucas) Ness ended up adapting Lucas' smash moves since they have a larger scale of being effective? It's not even a smash, but Lucas' down A (that kick he does) is absolutely incredible.

nirvashtypezero

Smash Rookie
It would really stink if Ness and Lucas didn't return (they were my mains in Brawl). Although at this point, I think it's safe to say that at least one of them (most likely Ness) will return, since we have Mr. Saturn, Franklin Badge, and [according to the leak] the Devil Car as an enemy in Smash Run. Some say Lucas won't make it, but I'll just keep praying that he does.
:lucas:
Yeah I mean I'm not too down about it because Ness is definitely looking like he's coming back but...y'know. It's still a bit upsetting to even think about a Smash Bros. without him.
If Lucas doesn't make the main roster, here's to hoping that Sakurai changes his mind about DLC and sneaks him in anyway!
The prospect of Lucas being an alt of Ness makes my skin crawl, too. It's just not right.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm all but certain that Ness will be back. Original '64 cast needs to be there.

I like Ness' Yo-yo etc. because it's so unique. Ness is just a kid with a versatile set of toys, those are his "normal" moves. His specials are where the PSI powers come in. (And Fair for some reason.) I think that's a nice balance. Yo-yo is just too fun.

nirvashtypezero

Smash Rookie
I'm all but certain that Ness will be back. Original '64 cast needs to be there.

I like Ness' Yo-yo etc. because it's so unique. Ness is just a kid with a versatile set of toys, those are his "normal" moves. His specials are where the PSI powers come in. (And Fair for some reason.) I think that's a nice balance. Yo-yo is just too fun.
Hey man nothing against the yo-yo! I do love it and it's speaking of the main attack feature in Earthbound where those type of weapons (slingshot, bat, yo-yo, etc) are used as well as his PSI moves. I just think that maybe they should use more of Ness' arsenal? Earlier in this forum some people were talking about Ness having a PK Teleport, for instance?

nirvashtypezero

Smash Rookie
Also on a separate note, how cool would it be if they added other places and items as well? Like teddy bears and maybe even Giygas's Lair?

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
They should just give him project m yo-yo because it does feel useless in brawl

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I'd like to see most of his normal A moves where he kicks and punches changed to use the bat. It's his signature and he never really kicks or punches in Mother 2. The game is known for taking the conventional swords, spears, arrows etc found in most RPGs and replacing them with baseball bats, yo-yos and slingshots, it's iconic to the game and it should be represented. Every aerial except his forward and every standard attack except his dash should involve the bat in some way, it's too much of a staple of his character to be nothing but a smash attack.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
-__- Welp, called it, no Ness reveal. Sakurai, if you want to keep trolling Mother fans and not show off the reps., then fine. I'm done caring, so forget you.

Although part of me feels the real reason we're not getting a NESS reveal is cause: A) It'd confirm the leak B) He's punishing us fans for the leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom