• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't bet money on Lucas being an alt for Ness. It would've been a scenario like Lucina's, where she was ported into a playable position by the devs, right?

Ah well, I'm alright with just Ness

Last edited:

SonicN64

Banned via Warnings
I thought new final smash for Ness. He can summon Giygas. Also, Giygas should say this since he'll will fully be in HD:

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Probably already mentioned but I'd like to post this... Oh wait, I can't post links yet. ^^'>

Today Earthbound/Mother turned 20 years old! おめでとうございます!^o^/
You can check a special message over at GoNintendo.com from Shigesato Itoi!

I hope I can spend a lot of time in this thread, for now I'll just say that I'm a Ness main and been since the first Smash. I'm not very good at tech but I do think I can do some awesome stuff. I'd love to get in touch with you Ness mains here when Smash 4 is out so we can play.

I could talk about Ness a lot but I'm gonna leave it at that. Just love Ness so much in Smash, I hope they don't change him but obviously make him a bit stronger.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yes, so excited to see him. I really don't want them to change anything, just make him stronger. For me he's almost perfect. But he's considered low tier so... But about his up-B.

Maybe they will add an alternative in the custom moves. And I have an idea for it. The real problem with the recovery is that you have to aim it and come around with it. Which is why I think Ness players hate to play on a stage with narrow holes. But I do love it still, how it looks and feels when you use it, the whole mechanic.

What if when you use PK Thunder it wouldn't matter at what angel you hit Ness, you simply hit him from any angle and then it stops for a half a second and lets you aim Ness and then it fires him off in that direction.

It could help you in a narrow space if you have time to go out and in again with PK Thunder in a hole. And it would make it quicker.

What do you guys think?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
If Lucas is cut, then why not give Ness Lucas' recovery, where it cannot be interrupted / gimped so easily. Ness' recovery is unique, and the damage and knock-back from it were fairly significant, but is it not one of the biggest things that kept him in low tier? (other than the chain-grab crap)

Also, PK Rockin' needs to be incorporated in his skills somewhere IMO. I think it would be a cool Final Smash. This is wishful thinking of course, but it would still be cool.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I love Lucas too. I tried to become a Lucas main in Brawl but I couldn't do it, always came back to Ness. And Kirby became my second main because of the changes to Marth (who was my second main in Melee).

It would be sad but I can see Lucas being cut, but now that we have more clones than ever, then why would he really? Maybe we will get another Earthbound character to replace Lucas, that would be very interesting.

Even if Ness have Lucas recovery, I don't think I would use it. As you might already have figured out, because I'm a Ness main, I don't use the best just because it's the best. I use what I like in terms of the characters... characteristics. The design and his moves, how he feels and what he stands for, is why I use Ness. So I would still want to use PK Thunder even if it limits me as a whole. I'd like a modification to it.

And xHackAttackx, why did you become a Dedede main in Brawl? I'd like to get in touch with any Ness players so we can play when Smash 4 is out. ^^

(Why isn't my signature showing here?)

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, to tell the truth, I didn't actually have a straight-up main in Brawl, I kind of lost interest in Brawl quicker than the other versions due to the mechanics feeling too different. So in the end, I just used an array of characters and faded away from the game as a whole. However, King Dedede was quite a hype addition for me, and he seemed to have a great grab game and was overall pretty unique; so I picked him up alongside Ness and Link.

As for Smash 4, I'm hoping the mechanics don't throw me off like Brawl did. Judging from the game-play I've seen though, the game seems faster and improved over Brawl as a whole, which is nice. In the end though, Ness (couldn't play Lucas to save my life for some reason other than liking his recovery), Link and Kirby characters will always be characters I cycle through. Although I'm excited for a handful more this time as well.

Can't wait to see what they do to Ness in Sm4sh though, and I just wish they'd show him already.

Earthbound_PKMN_Trainer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roboticsuperstar
3DS FC
0731-6040-6586
It's interesting, I was on edge hoping Ness' return reveal was going to be the Aug. 22nd PotD for my birthday, which was the 23rd.

We got a leak that day ... I wanted my favorite smasher back in time for my birthday, but not like that haha.

Then the craziness that this week was with the video leaks and photo explosion ... and the leak ended up confirmed.

At least the guy is there, but was there any real doubt ... oh well. Two weeks until the Japanese release and another two after that til we get it here in the US, the wait is winding down but the hype is at an all time high and only growing.

grizby2

Smash Lord
this is crazy.
we got:
Mario and luigi
fox and falco
link and toon link
and now marth and lucina

people don't seem to have a problem with these pairs, so whats wrong with ness and lucas?

anyway, im just itching to see how ness looks in HD. the time is almost here!

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Any Ness mains here who wanna get some Ness action going or whatever online when the game is out, look me up on Skype so we can do some PK Kick Ass.

Also, no comments on my idea for his up-B?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
hmm....so now that Ness is all but confirmed by Sakurai himself....do you all think he'll change PK Starstorm to PK Rock'n?

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Probably not. I'm disappointed in pretty much all the Final smashes in the game. So much more could have been done. Very boring of them. But I guess if the time was used for more important stuff then ok. I like PK Star storm though, just wish everyone got something new.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
As much as I would like Psi Rock'n, it has many different names depending on what you put as your favorite thing. I'm also sure it's default name in Japanese is PK Love like in Mother 3.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
this is crazy.
we got:
Mario and luigi
fox and falco
link and toon link
and now marth and lucina

people don't seem to have a problem with these pairs, so whats wrong with ness and lucas?
Nothing. EB just got the short end of the stick this time around. Least it gets a new stage, unlike DK, Metroid or Pikmin.

Anyway, my biggest hope right now is that Ness can at least use Lucas' special moves. Would be better than nothing.

grizby2

Smash Lord
As much as I would like Psi Rock'n, it has many different names depending on what you put as your favorite thing. I'm also sure it's default name in Japanese is PK Love like in Mother 3.
well if that's the case, we can re-name ness as "Psychic boy" !
..thats about all people think about when ness is mentioned anyway. lol
default names are pretty interesting. for the mother series, there were always pre-set random ones. a set for each character, favorite thing, ect..
in fact, all party members in mother 2 had Mario reference names.
ness - Mario
paula - peach
jeff - luigi
poo - kinopio (toad)
and the dog ("runt" for japan) could have the name - yoshi

the default name for psi rockin for mother 2 (japan) is actually "fighting spirit".. huh.. well I suppose "rockin" is just as weird :smirk:.
one name that both versions have as a pre-set random name for the move (and the only one they share) ironically is "LOVE".

only in mother 3 is "LOVE" THE default name for your favorite thing.
oddly enough, a pre-set random name for your favorite thing in mother 3 can be "home run", which is something you think ness should have.
the more you know!

Nothing. EB just got the short end of the stick this time around. Least it gets a new stage, unlike DK, Metroid or Pikmin.

Anyway, my biggest hope right now is that Ness can at least use Lucas' special moves. Would be better than nothing.
yes, I hate to think that lucas might not be playable, but that would be for the best. those moves would be good to be put in ness' "custom" move set options.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
well if that's the case, we can re-name ness as "Psychic boy" !
..thats about all people think about when ness is mentioned anyway. lol
default names are pretty interesting. for the mother series, there were always pre-set random ones. a set for each character, favorite thing, ect..
in fact, all party members in mother 2 had Mario reference names.
ness - Mario
paula - peach
jeff - luigi
poo - kinopio (toad)
and the dog ("runt" for japan) could have the name - yoshi

the default name for psi rockin for mother 2 (japan) is actually "fighting spirit".. huh.. well I suppose "rockin" is just as weird :smirk:.
one name that both versions have as a pre-set random name for the move (and the only one they share) ironically is "LOVE".

only in mother 3 is "LOVE" THE default name for your favorite thing.
oddly enough, a pre-set random name for your favorite thing in mother 3 can be "home run", which is something you think ness should have.
the more you know!

yes, I hate to think that lucas might not be playable, but that would be for the best. those moves would be good to be put in ness' "custom" move set options.
Ehh, maybe hearing him yell PK Starstorm makes more sense for western audiences than hearing him yell "PK Kiai". The only other option is to have his voice samples changed to yelling Psi instead of PK and have it be Psi Rockin in the US while PK Kiai is Japanese. I don't think they would want it to change that much to accommodate one move.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I had this idea in another thread, I got a bit inspired by Shulk's final smash.

What if Ness summoned his partners for his final smash?

• Poo does the PK Starstorm
  • Paula prays for Ness to win does Great Aether with a frying pan fires off random PK attacks?
  • Jeff fires rockets, like his assist from Brawl
  • Ness finishes with PK Rockin!

Last edited:

Earthbound012

Smash Rookie
If ness actually did a psi move he knows for his final smash like pk rockin then that would be perfect!

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
How would you guys feel about Ness getting an English voice actor this time around? Would you prefer that they kept to "PK" or would "PSI" be acceptable?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel about Ness getting an English voice actor this time around? Would you prefer that they kept to "PK" or would "PSI" be acceptable?
I wouldn't mind if the new voice actor did a good job.

But I 'd still want him / her to say "PK."

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Pk for his special moves, as pk sounds more natural than psi, but if rockin became his final smash, then he should say psi rockin.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Really hoping that the pink stage is Pink Cloud and not Magicant.

Magicant could have those Courage Bird guys but to have a ever changing floor color with black background is boring. That and it sort of reminds me of Rainbow World. At least with Pink Cloud we could see The Skyrunner in the BG, The Lightning Sanctuary boss as a bg hazard and maybe Poo meditating.

I'd like Magicant if the background changes to reference a lot of EB stuff however or has those lovely trippy backgrounds.

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman

Magicant could have those Courage Bird guys but to have a ever changing floor color with black background is boring. That and it sort of reminds me of Rainbow World. At least with Pink Cloud we could see The Skyrunner in the BG, The Lightning Sanctuary boss as a bg hazard and maybe Poo meditating.

I'd like Magicant if the background changes to reference a lot of EB stuff however or has those lovely trippy backgrounds.
I don't thint its ether to be honest. Its really too pink for that, and there are clouds in the background which I don't remember from earthbound.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I don't thint its ether to be honest. Its really too pink for that, and there are clouds in the background which I don't remember from earthbound.
Pink Cloud, Dalamm. Its when you play as Poo before he joins the party.
But if its too pink for that, then are you saying theres no Earthbound related stages at all?

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Here's a collection of the Miiverse Earthbound drawings, these are so amazing:
Finn

Why does Ness's face look like a monkey? Jk, these are actually pretty good, especially the jeff one. I also like Paula's a lot, and poo looks like a little kid, it's really funny.

-Nesta-

Smash Cadet
NNID
oNESTAo

That pink stage looks more like the Magicant from Mother1.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
If Ness gets psi rockin as a final smash, then should poo be an assist trophy and use pk starstorm?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The day approaches my brothers and sisters of the order of Ness... :p

JK, but I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom