• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Yubi

Smash Cadet
It's true that in Brawl camping dominates most of the gameplay. People with little patience tend to get bored by playing with excessive camping. I personally like to camp, specially using Ness but to tell the truth, sometimes I get tired of it , specially if I'm losing.

Anyways, even though Brawl is based on camping (and punishing air dodges) I still considered it a good game. :-)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I camp/spam PSI Magnet.... XD!!!! I can't seem to get the right spamming technique for PKT...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Anyways, even though Brawl is based on camping (and punishing air dodges) I still considered it a good game. :-)
This is where you aren't seeing the picture....

Since it's based on punishing dodges, the only way you can do that is NOT ATTACKING the dodge.

Camping is not what the game is based on....

It's based on Shielding or dodging. If you never attack you'll never get hit. It's that simple.

THE CHARACTERS WHO CAN SIT THERE AND ATTACK AND NOT GET PUNISHED WITH ATLEAST ONE MOVE

Those are the ones who are and will forever dominate the game. Nothing you can do about it if you have no safe options.

Sit there and shield/spot dodge against any low/mid tier.

YOU'LL ALWAYS WIN as long as they KEEP attacking and you know what you are doing.

If you look at this. And know ...

If you want to be better at brawl. Forget about fair,nair,dair or even u air.

Spam back air. It's your safest move. That is the future ness.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146

I spam back air, but don't forget about the other aerials....

Uffe

Smash Hero
Unless you make it obvious. Man I should've won. I don't know what it is with me and SDing on lag-fi.

Levitas

the moon
If they're on the stage and you're on the stage, why would you pick an attack that is likely to leave you vulnerable and isn't hard to avoid?

Save PKT for advantageous situations, like when they're in the air or offstage.

Uffe

Smash Hero
There are some PKT2 techniques you can use while on the ground. However, sometimes they don't go according to plan. Your best bet is to actually use PKT2 in the air. It may or may not keep you safe from your opponents aerial attacks, though. You can use PKT2 anywhere.

If you really want to use it on the ground, though, try and have your opponent coming back to the stage if you plan on using that. At least then they're limited to a few options. Unless you're fighting characters like Pit, Meta Knight or Charizard. Then it might not work.

Boo-Boo

Smash Cadet
no like i have seen when ness uses a grab he thouws them up than pk thunders them and he as also used it in other ways......hopeful you under stand me

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
This is where you aren't seeing the picture....

Since it's based on punishing dodges, the only way you can do that is NOT ATTACKING the dodge.

Camping is not what the game is based on....

It's based on Shielding or dodging. If you never attack you'll never get hit. It's that simple.

THE CHARACTERS WHO CAN SIT THERE AND ATTACK AND NOT GET PUNISHED WITH ATLEAST ONE MOVE

Those are the ones who are and will forever dominate the game. Nothing you can do about it if you have no safe options.

Sit there and shield/spot dodge against any low/mid tier.

YOU'LL ALWAYS WIN as long as they KEEP attacking and you know what you are doing.

If you look at this. And know ...

I just died a little inside..

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've decided to pick up Ness for dubz! So I've got some general questions.

Is Ness a better aggressor or camper?
Should I always give my partner 4th port priority and what should I do when he grabs an opponent?
How sexy is Dair in Teams?
How sexy is PKT/PK Flash in teams?

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Ness is a better aggressor than camper. He's overwhelmingly quick in the air, and strong too. On the defensive side, his ground moves are slow, and PK Fire's range isn't the best.

If your partner grabs an opponent, he could throw them into your dair, bair, nair, etc. Dair is awesome for this.

Dair is great. One use is mentioned above. Just don't spike your teammate.

PK Flash is not often useful, I find. There is too big a risk of killing your teammate (by all means do it if it's your opponent's last life and your teammate grabs him hehehe). PKT can help to save your teammate from a helpless state when recovering, but in that case you're left open.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
One part of my question you overlooked is giving my partner 4th port priority. Basically, if they're 4th player and they grab someone, they won't suffer knockback even if I full charged PK Flash them. I remember seeing some vids of Snake/MK teams exploiting this with C4s and MK's uthrow. Basically, they Snake would plant a C4 on MK and the Mk would grab an opponent and uthrow. The snake would detonate as MK was high up and the opponent would die and the MK would return to the ground.

Throws/Grab releases into Dair are too good though. I've done a WiFi team with a DDD and he'd dthrow into my Dair all the time. It was lovely. <3

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ness can be any number of things. psi magnet is a huge help in every team.
Ness+Lucas = heal each other whenever possible, w/ a lil bit of comboage.
Ness duos = heal each other, grab release failure.
Ness+snake = combo with psi magnet wind's momentum halt, and protect each other recovering.
Ness+zss = ness is a tank! Ness can absorb all dsmash and magnet lag cancel for extra hits and safety. Also, zss sets up for easier ness kills.
Ness+g&w = g&w is a great damage racking/killing person. Pkt being absorbed by bucket is easy and pkflash for the instant kill.
Ness+? = use psi magnet for momentum halt and absorption, have your partner set up the opponent into something you are readying (bat, pkt2, pkflash, whatever), fool with pkt to lead someone into charging at you, then bring back for pkt2, grab any and all items, then djc throw them like crazy...

Other than that, play normally. There are a lot of special things you can do in teams with ness, but some of them require very precise planning, an often require 2v1 or lucky opportunities.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
If you're in a Ness/Ness or Ness/Lucas team it's REALLY important if you guys heal using your Bneutral move. I know that sounds like a stupid way to heal but if you just charge it a little and have the other Ness/Lucas jump above you and use PSI Magnet and repeat for them it's a quick way to heal I've found.

Using PKF and PKT are fine too but often I've found you'll have to get more timing down because you can't notice when they're about to do it as much (unless it's PKT and they angle it enough that you hear it being done before you get to it).

Also, never have an IC partner. Blizzard can really heal you but IC's are TERRIBLE in teams.

Yubi

Smash Cadet
Another excelente teammate (and my personal favorita) is DDD. Why you ask?

- DDD's D-grab to Ness' F-smash (or any other move like a back throw or a Bair) = A sweepspotted F-smash deals 25% and is also an excellent KO move.

- DDD's Bair and Ness' Fair for excellent spacing = Is also possible to greatly increase and opponents damage standing in between.

- Ness' PK Fire + DDD's F-smash (or even Ness') = Using Fair also helps keeping your opponent in F-smash range in case he/she DI's out of it.

- Excellent KO potential by both fighters = Ness has his Back Throw, F-smash, Bair, F-tilt, Uair, Dsmash. DDD has his U-tilt, D-smash, U-smash, Fair, Bair, Uair, Dair, D-tilt.

- Both DDD and Ness can increase your opponents damage easily = Specially DDD's chaingrab and Ness' aerials.

- Ness owns inside the stage while DDD owns outside (edgeguarding) = Both side are practically covered completely.

- DDD's Waddle Doo greatly recovers Ness' damage using Psi Magnet = This is a somewhat random factors but it really helps a lot.

- High priority in most of their moves = Ness and DDD have lots of disjointed hitboxes with most of their aerials providing an easy and smooth camping and defensive playstyle.

- DDD's inhuman weight and resistance = Taking stocks from this team won't be easy. Ness is also a medium weight character. With excellent DI, it will be hard for opponents to take both of them down with ease.

:)

NessBrawler

Smash Cadet
i feel like i'm reaching a limit on my ness game... but i know they are much better ness players... can i get any advice?

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Try playing the computer and doing just ridiculous things like spotdodging everything or trying to land fsmash all the time. At one point, I made myself use nair in every situation I could have used fair for, and now I use it a lot more (to my opponents' annoyance, being such a good move). You may find your playstyle will get out of its local minimum and start to fall toward a global minimum (minimum being best (energetics term)).

Try picking up seconds; You'll adapt their playstyle to Ness, as well as learn their weaknesses.

Ideally, you'd play against people, so you can learn how people behave. The best players might not be the best technically, but instead are the strongest-willed and clearest-thinking. I never used mindgames before I started playing against people a lot, but I find it's so helpful for making your opponent make bad errors on approach.

I personally enjoy jumping diagonally and landing back in the same spot, because it baits people into the air where i can pwn them.

NessBrawler

Smash Cadet
Try playing the computer and doing just ridiculous things like spotdodging everything or trying to land fsmash all the time. At one point, I made myself use nair in every situation I could have used fair for, and now I use it a lot more (to my opponents' annoyance, being such a good move). You may find your playstyle will get out of its local minimum and start to fall toward a global minimum (minimum being best (energetics term)).

hmm... i already did that with a few moves but that sounds interesting
Try picking up seconds; You'll adapt their playstyle to Ness, as well as learn their weaknesses.

I have about 5 secondaries as it is

Ideally, you'd play against people, so you can learn how people behave. The best players might not be the best technically, but instead are the strongest-willed and clearest-thinking. I never used mindgames before I started playing against people a lot, but I find it's so helpful for making your opponent make bad errors on approach.

I play a lot of people and beat there butts all the time... but then i fought somebody on a while back and saw how limited my ness style is and how it needs to improve. I've fought a lot of people and know how they play

I personally enjoy jumping diagonally and landing back in the same spot, because it baits people into the air where i can pwn them.
It seems like playing more people and trying to use every move seem to be my best shot. Thanks i'll try it

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alrighty...I'm going to try to name some positives and negatives for both the characters (+ = pos. - = neg.):

Ness:

+Better/faster grabs
+Good spike
+Great aeiral gameplay
+His Fair *****
+Very punishing moves
+Lives long enough
+Works well in Teams
+Can rack up damage quickly
+Many good combo moves
+Can Heal
-Gimpable
-PKT possesses some problems
-Many characters can grab release him
-He can be grab infinite'd
-Has some laggy moves
-Can be predictable
-Not a good ground player

Lucas:

+Has better recovery
+Has at least 3 ways to recover
+Better ground game
+Can Heal
+His Healing can hurt opponents
+Fsmash
+Powerful attacks
+Good aerials
-Gimpable
-Has a lot of grab releases from other characters
-Has an infinite
-Ness can grab release him
-Slow grab
-Laggy moves
-Predictable after time

...I could go on with these lists but I'm just giving you some thought.

I chose Ness over Lucas because I simply find Ness more fun to play. He racks up damage fast and can take quite a beating, but if you're not careful he can beat you down with some punishing moves like dair and his bthrow. I won't go too tactical into the different techniques and strategies you can pull off.

Lucas isn't a bad choice either especially because I think his recovery is SO much better than Ness'. He can PKT2, Magnet Pull and use the Rope Snake. Lucas has a terrible grab though, in my opinion anyways. It is predictable. He has Fsmash though. That move is very deadly, I've killed someone at 70% with it. He's got some good combos though.

It's really opinional. I hope this helped you some, nvus.

smash64

Smash Champion
so I was checking the Lucas boards and I like the idea of interviewing the players. I think we sould do the same that way we can can learn the play style and other things from our players, what do you guys think? This will also make our board more active

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
so I was checking the Lucas boards and I like the idea of interviewing the players. I think we sould do the same that way we can can learn the play style and other things from our players, what do you guys think? This will also make our board more active
Why not, it sounds like a good idea to me. I'll create a thread for it, I'll make you the first interviewer because you suggested it. ;)

Top Bottom