• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Don't play against Yoshi. :laugh:

Make sure you're spacing and autocanceling all your aerials. If you really don't want to get shield grabbed, aim for the top corner of their shield to stay out of range. You can also rise aerials. Don't attack someone with a shieldgrabbable move in a neutral situation since they will do it. This is how I got wall infinited by a DDD on RC. >_>''

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
What is keeping Ness so low on the tiers...?

I understand that his ground game is bad but why would you really be playing a ground game with him?

His recovery is severly underrated. With proper DI and holding your 2nd jump you hardly need to resort to using it anyway. It seems to bait people into itself too when people go to punish it too late (then again this shouldn't happen at top levels of play.)

This alone makes him S tier in my book

Uffe

Smash Hero
How do you not get grabbed?
Ness is a little boy with a bat, what do you expect =O
:laugh:

Okay. It'd kind of hard not to get grabbed. It's going to happen eventually. If you're constantly getting grabbed, it's either because you block a lot or you're attacking an opponent who blocks a lot and getting punished for it. So let me break this down a bit so you know how to deal with this sort of thing.

• Blocking - If you block/shield a lot, then your opponent is reading that and you get grabbed because of it. Simple as that. There isn't much to explain, really. To avoid this, try to spot dodge more to mix it up. If you're fighting let's say Pikachu and he likes to d-smash, you obviously don't want to spot dodge. So mix it up.
  • Shield Grabbed - If you're always attacking from an aerial approach, you're either not retreating your attacks or you're not using your ground attacks as much. If you're getting shield grabbed after using an aerial, grab them instead. Remember, you're letting yourself get grabbed. But if they block your attack most of the time, grab them instead of attacking with your aerials.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
@moot, his ground game isn't bad, but it isn't great.... too many "just barely not good enoughs" for ness.... his aerials aren't that great, his grab range isn't too great, but running it is.... pkfire can be DI'd easily..... PKT can be gimped, predicted, and punished, although difficlut.... PSI magnet is nearly pointless in many matches.... PKflash is pkflash.... dair is slow and laggy.... uair is good, but a bit of ending lag and shielding kills it.... nair is great, but shield destroys it... bair kills, but semi-predictable and shield kills it... fair isn't as good as everyone says it is.... bthrow is only rarely a sure kill when you need it.... fthrow is good, not awesome.... dthrow sets up into combos, but never true combos.... uthrow leads to pkt and pkflash stuff, but people can predict fairly well... ftilt is good, but never really find the place to use it.... dtilt is almost impossible to always trip with, has short range, and can be beaten by nearly everyone's jab.... utilt is okay, but slightly laggy and short of range.... jab is okay, but full jab combo can be avoided... yeah....

Shad-Icarus

Smash Rookie
@moot(finishing what Eagleye893 was talking):
Ness and lucas still have problems with marth chain grabs (high delay after escaping a grab, leaves you open to ANOTHER grab)

PKT2 recovery leaves you open to spikes, since it takes about 2-3 seconds for the thunder to hit you, and you just stand still at the air at this time. also, if anything hits the thunder before it reaches you, you are dead. Even if you barely need to use it, one time or another you will use it.

Ness bat is almost as slow as kirby hammer, its hard to land a hit with it, and you must have and awesome timing for reflecting projectiles.

PSI magnet delay for starting/finishing just... suck. sometimes, you use it to absorve an incoming energy projectile, and get git by an f smash or something of the sort.

I don't really care about this problems, for me ness PKT mind games , aerial moves, sexy yoyo stage spike and godly grabs are just more then enought to me. But hey, that from me, a guy who can't even pivot grab, if you put ness againt some other Pros around there, these small delays would kill their games.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Don't get grabbed?

Then if you're in 1 on 1, you better be in the air a lot. A LOT. Do moves that aren't as punishable to, like fair but don't just fair and land right in front of them. :/ Same thing with bair. Short hop and bair.

Do lots of PKT mindgames from a reasonable distance.

If you're in doubles...well it's a little easier to not get grabbed if you and your partner are good with syncing with each other.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ness mains, I come to you as a troubled man.

Yesterday I had to fight a Wolf first in the singles bracket, causing me to get ***** with Yoshi due to the MU and put into the loser's bracket. This is the second time it's happened.

As a result, I ask you all: Should I use Ness for this MU? As long as it's not worse than like, 70:30, I'm good. Also, what should I look out for? What works well?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Ness on Battlefield?

I'd say it's pretty neutral.

You've got SH aerials through the platforms, and using PKT1 is good but the fact that it has room for CG characters is annoying (if you're on the main floor, the platforms otherwise help you IMO).

Uffe

Smash Hero
BF is alright for Ness depending on who he is fighting. Overall it's not a bad stage for him.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
gOod question.... I find there to be few safe approaches for ness, but other people can help. ::reiterates xoxo's question::

Chuee

Smash Hero
Ness' best approach is Fair. It has the best range out of all his aerials and is safe on block.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Fair, nair and lately for me, his dash attack. Unless your opponent is the kind who blocks, then just grab him.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I personally just hang our around midrange since most people will try and attack you if you're there. =P
Thiiiiis. It's a little sad but in a Brawl asking "what's the best way to approach" is like the same thing as asking "what's the best place to shoot myself in the foot?"

Ness can camp out at mid-range just as well as most characters and he can prevent a lot of stalling tactics with PKT. I'm really starting to believe that Ness might be one of the best campers out there. Get them to approach you and then abuse your amazing aerial mobility to weave in and out with any of your amazing aerial options and keep it mixed up so your opponent doesn't catch on to the spacing of one move.

my .02

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Or you could just PKT spam, hit someone and then camp for the rest of the match, then wait out the clock.

This is Brawl, the less you attack the more you win.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I personally just hang our around midrange since most people will try and attack you if you're there. =P
Thiiiiis. It's a little sad but in a Brawl asking "what's the best way to approach" is like the same thing as asking "what's the best place to shoot myself in the foot?"

Ness can camp out at mid-range just as well as most characters and he can prevent a lot of stalling tactics with PKT. I'm really starting to believe that Ness might be one of the best campers out there. Get them to approach you and then abuse your amazing aerial mobility to weave in and out with any of your amazing aerial options and keep it mixed up so your opponent doesn't catch on to the spacing of one move.

my .02
i like this. thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Kitty Corp Meow Mix has some pretty nice looking textures. But I don't think they'll ever amount to what Stack Smash has/had. I wish I could find that A Boy and His Blob texture hack for Ness. He looks something like this with the Blob as his hat:

Uffe

Smash Hero
It happened about a month or two ago, though. If you're looking for anything with Ness textures, I can't say I was too impressed with the textures they made for him. That Chaozu one for Ness looks pretty cool, though. I'd ask Yink for that one if you like Chaozu. If you have no idea who I'm talking about, he's that white boy from Dragon Ball Z.

Top Bottom