• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Why is Ness a lower then Lucas on the Tier list?

Is it because Lucas recovery is better?
I'd like to believe that's one of the major reasons. He's more gimpable than Lucas is (to me anyways), and they both get grab released into so many bad things.

From what a friend told me (he knows what he's talking about), the way they made the tier list is someone puts in a lot of info on each character, and this happened at a specific point of time. At that point of time, Lucas was viewed as better than Ness.

Do I think Ness is better than Lucas? Yes. Do I think he does better than Lucas in tournaments? Yes.

I think Ness should be higher than Lucas because you can get past the recovery problems if you're good. That being done, he has better matchups as well.

orange/xd

Smash Ace
Lucas is a little better than Ness as a character IMO, he's really good at pressuring and killing, and isn't super easy to gimp. Sadly, Ness is. :( Ness should be higher on the tier list though because he has way more tourney representation.

♥ Ness though.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
If this has been asked already I am sorry.

But what character can do that release grab into certain move thing on Ness?

Oh and Ness>>>>Lucas.

And with Mother games in general.

M2>M3>M1

Real talk. I was playing EB on my SNES yesterday. :F

Chuee

Smash Hero
Nobody knows Lucas' full potential. Suddenly some Lucas main will come out of nowhere and start ******. Then people will know which ones better :D

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've seen what Lucas can do. If Irsic doesn't count as a rapetastic Lucas, then maybe I haven't played a good enough one. If you're talking about Tyr, I've seen him. Ness is just a better character because he doesn't have the amount of bad match-ups like Lucas does. If you want to go into discussion about Ness vs Lucas in Brawl, I see them as a 50:50 match-up. They're not entirely different, same goes for their best and worst stages.

But what character can do that release grab into certain move thing on Ness?
Just about every character in Brawl has a grab release on Ness. Some people don't act like ***** and use them on us, though. So I don't have to write out a whole story of who has a grab release on us, Ness, Lucas and Samus don't have a grab release on us. At least I don't think Samus has one on us. There are possibly a few others who don't, but I haven't found them yet.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Let's compare
Mario- Lucas does better
Luigi- Neither
Peach- Neither
Bowser- Neither
DK- Neither
Diddy- Neither
Yoshi- Ness does better
Wario- Neither
Link- Lucas does better
Sheik- Neither
Zelda- Lucas does better
Ganon- Lucas does better
TL- Neither
Samus- Neither
Pit- Neither
IC- Lucas does better
ROB- Neither
Kirby- Lucas does better
MK- Lucas does better
D3- Neither
Olimar- Neither
Fox- Neither
Falco- Lucas does better
Wolf- Neither
Falcon- Lucas does better
Pika- Neither
Squirtle- Lucas does better
Ivy- Neither
Zard- Lucas does better
Lucario- Neither
Jiggz- Neither
Marth- Lucas does better
Ike- Lucas does better
G&W- Neither
Snake- Ness does better
Sonic- Neither

hmmmmmmmm

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I can't agree with all of that.

For starters, look at your MU list vs OUR MU list. Look at your Negatives and ours, and because you only have one advantaged one at this moment, assume what ones would probably be beneficial to you.

We have 19 bad MUs (I'm including ones that I'm assuming will be against us also, like Squirtle and Charizard and I've not posted the Diddy etc yet)

YOU on the other hand, have 14 as it stands right now, soon to be 15 thanks to ZSS. You're weaker against Ness so that's another to rope in there (yeah I'm going there by saying Ness does better than Lucas in MU sense). Not to mention all of your MU isn't completed yet...but I'm betting ours will look slightly better than yours.

But...this isn't for this thread. Lets talk about this through AIM or PM or whatever.

Chuee

Smash Hero
It has nothing to do with having an advantage against a character. It just means Lucas does better in the MU than Ness does.

Levitas

the moon
Chu, let's not get off topic here. This is about ness's matchups.

if you want a nice place to talk about lucas's matchups, I'm sure you can think of somewhere.

Uffe

Smash Hero
What I remember it being.

Mario- 55:45, Mario
Luigi- 50:50
Peach- 55:45/60:40, Peach
Bowser- 55:45, Ness
DK- 55:45, DK
Diddy- 55:45 (That's what I still see and what the Diddy boards said before)/60:40, Diddy Kong
Yoshi- 55:45, Ness or 50:50
Wario- 60:40, Wario
Link- 55:45, Ness
Sheik- 50:50, IIRC/55:45, Sheik
Zelda- 50:50, IIRC
Ganon- 65:35, Ness
TL- 55:45/60:40, TL
Samus- 60:40, Ness or 50:50 (I play this match-up a lot)
Pit- 55:45, Pit or 50:50 (Shaky and I think it's one of the two)
IC- 55:45, IC
ROB- 60:40, R.O.B.
Kirby- 50:50
MK- 60:40/55:45 (Seeing what FOW did to three MK's)
D3- 60:40, D3
Olimar- 55:45, Ness or 50:50
Fox- 60:40, Ness (The last time the Fox boards said)
Falco- 55:45/60:40, Falco
Wolf- 55:45, Wolf
Falcon- 55:45, Ness
Pika- 50:50 or 55:45, Pika
Squirtle- 60:40, Squirtle
Ivy- 50:50/55:45, Ness
Zard- 60:40/55:45, Zard
Lucario- 55:45, Lucario
Jiggz- 50:50/55:45, Ness
Marth- 60:40, Marth, 70:30 (With the death grab)
Ike- 50:50/55:45, Ness
G&W- 60:40, G&W
Snake- 60:40, Snake
Sonic- 50:50

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
@ the marth problem that everyone talks about, I say death grab isn't that big of a problem. Just pick a stage with slanted everything and stay on the lower ground.... PK Fire doesn't help at all anyways, so you may as well adjust to a worse problem.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I disagree with some of those.
FOW beating a few MK's only proves one thing. It was quite obvious that Tyrant had no clue what he was doing in the MU. Then next time they fought, Tyrant won.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I disagree with some of those.
FOW beating a few MK's only proves one thing. It was quite obvious that Tyrant had no clue what he was doing in the MU. Then next time they fought, Tyrant won.
Three doesn't equal to Tyrant alone.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Anybody who ever claims pk fire is useful should not be listened to. Scrubs at this brawl tournament I went to could di out of it before my endlag was finished. Don't rely on it ever.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I agree with Sage. It's a terrible move. It's absolute **** when they can DI out of it and is really punishable.

Uffe: The only other notable MK he beat was Judge who probably had no clue at all about the MU. Stuff like this is really common among low tiers. That's why people shouldn't get all hyped up when a low tier player beats a pro. He only took one game off m2k.

Levitas

the moon
Sage is absolutely correct about PKF. It's horrendously slow to the point where anyone who can't react could take a bat to the face w/ more ease, has low range, and doesn't keep anyone who's trying stuck for long unless they're playing as a fatty

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I'm learning to love PKT more than PKF. The sound the tail makes is so delicious...

...I don't want to know why I think it tastes good.

I'm also trying to learn to throw in un- or slightly-charged PK Flashes, too, though that's not as natural for me.
Where do people put that? I find the uncharged knockback to be too little to be of much worth as a juggler.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'm learning to love PKT more than PKF. The sound the tail makes is so delicious...

...I don't want to know why I think it tastes good.

I'm also trying to learn to throw in un- or slightly-charged PK Flashes, too, though that's not as natural for me.
Where do people put that? I find the uncharged knockback to be too little to be of much worth as a juggler.
Good... I hate pkf in vbrawl....

Uncharged pkflash can sometimes lead straight into a fh nair/uair if you time it correctly... And even more with a slightly sh'd pkflash...

MrsSaturnandWatch

Smash Journeyman
^
PGN has been telling me to do it more, didn't think it was useful until recently where Ness_Success did this sexy combo wif it on me.

Let's all convert to FH PKF

Uffe

Smash Hero
Uffe: The only other notable MK he beat was Judge who probably had no clue at all about the MU. Stuff like this is really common among low tiers. That's why people shouldn't get all hyped up when a low tier player beats a pro. He only took one game off m2k.
That's news to me. Anyway, using a high tier character, they shouldn't really have a problem winning against a low-tier. If the whole thing about not knowing the match-up really mattered, why hasn't a Falcon main gotten far? And before you even consider Ally as one doing so, he didn't use Falcon alone.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Falcon has terrible rep. The only character I can think of that has worse rep than Falcon is Jiggz.

Levitas

the moon
I use PKF, either grounded or aerial, then get rushed and hit because it's a really laggy move :p

PKF should be used when your opponent is already forced into an action that makes them at the very least unable to retaliate (ie recovering or committed to something like landing)

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm sure there is a way of lag canceling aerial PKF. I also think there is a possibility to buffer PKF on the ground. I'd say I'm sure, but I'm not going to claim that. Anyway, getting your opponent with PKF in the air is good for when they don't expect it. You've also got to realize that PKF goes pretty far even on the ground. It may not get them trapped, but a hit is a hit. It's only a matter of time before your opponent is in danger of getting KO'd. To use PKF close up to your opponent, that's stupid. But I'll admit that I do that sometimes, though not intentionally.

Top Bottom