• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
Hello, I was wondering who is the best person to play defensivly. What i mean is, to be the best a dodging, dodgeing,and then attack with a smash attack and owning. I play marth and lucario and there are bolthin "in your face" offencive people. So, i want to play the other side.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hello, I was wondering who is the best person to play defensivly. What i mean is, to be the best a dodging, dodgeing,and then attack with a smash attack and owning. I play marth and lucario and there are bolthin "in your face" offencive people. So, i want to play the other side.
well, id have to recommend either dedede or dk
with dedede, you can make combos if they try to attack you
with dk, if you hold the shield button, and they do a running attack, you can do the grab, his grabs are mostly useful and if you train with him long enough, you can come up with some useful combos with the grab

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
well, id have to recommend either dedede or dk
with dedede, you can make combos if they try to attack you
with dk, if you hold the shield button, and they do a running attack, you can do the grab, his grabs are mostly useful and if you train with him long enough, you can come up with some useful combos with the grab
Well, DK is a monkey..... So i guess i will try out DDD!!! thanks!

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
how do you not know how to play defense with lucario

he has a great projectile and the best roll in the game
Dude i KNOW how to play def with luke BUT, frankly he sucks on defence you gotta be in there face all the time so i want someone that plays GOOD at def

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Lucario is great at defense... Best roll in the game means he can avoid many attacks and get around thing easily. Great projectile means camping and staying away from your opponent. If you are constantly in someones face with Lucario, you can often get zoned fairly easily... Especially someone with a good disjointed hitbox on most/all of their attacks

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
You know S.O.L.I.D you are realy annoying and i did not ask weather or not luke was good at defensive play. I asked who was the BEST at it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you may not have asked that, but your words state that you need to be told that. And to ask who the best defensive character is is a bad question be thats all up to opinion. therefore there is no 1 agreed upon best defence character

but my attempt to answer your question, i would say ROB cause if you are ever in trouble, you can just spotdodge to down smash. and his camping is stupid good.

i highly suggest that you get good at playing luc defensive first tho, cause if you cant do that, you playing another defence based character is gonna get you wrecked in a quick fast hurry

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
You dont get it, i AM good wth lucario offence and defence and once agaion i want to know who is the best but I alrady found a good one ok? case closed. ( he is DDD)

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Ark-angel, it is never bad to gain more knowledge. Take everything said to as a gift, and be happy people are even willing to help you out even further with that attitude.
And both Marth and Lucario CAN be very in your face, but playing them defensively and smart is a lot more dangerous and effective.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ark-angel, it is never bad to gain more knowledge. Take everything said to as a gift, and be happy people are even willing to help you out even further with that attitude.
And both Marth and Lucario CAN be very in your face, but playing them defensively and smart is a lot more dangerous and effective.
Ark-angel should be a little more open to information. Oh and for the record, a smart aggro Marth will do better then a defensive Marth most of the time.

Cross.

Smash Ace
A quick question guys. How do you effectively practice with level 3 computers? I hear all around that they are the only level of computer you should be practicing with so im jus wondering how exactly are they better than say level 9 or even 4? I have some friends that are about even with me and one thats a little better but I want to start practicing on my own. Why is level 3 considered the best?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
A quick question guys. How do you effectively practice with level 3 computers? I hear all around that they are the only level of computer you should be practicing with so im jus wondering how exactly are they better than say level 9 or even 4? I have some friends that are about even with me and one thats a little better but I want to start practicing on my own. Why is level 3 considered the best?
I believe they are just seen as the average computer, and that they aren't exactly amazing at responding to you but are good enough to get out of most things you could do to lower level CPUs. As for practicing against them, I hear that you aren't supposed to play them like you would a normal person. When you play them, practice spacing and important things like that which is able to be practiced without much affect from the CPUs.

If you really need to work on making your moves connect, set them up to be in human like situations. For example, one may knock the CPU in the air and attempt a fastfalled Uair (hitting with the very edge or tip of the hitbox), seeing as in a real human match the person might be fastfalling and you would therefore actually hit them.

And if you have friends, the best route is to play against them instead of CPUs, because the human player will almost always be more beneficiary to your playstyle then a lowly CPU. (Unless the person is truly VERY bad, and you don't really have to try to win)

Cross.

Smash Ace
I believe they are just seen as the average computer, and that they aren't exactly amazing at responding to you but are good enough to get out of most things you could do to lower level CPUs. As for practicing against them, I hear that you aren't supposed to play them like you would a normal person. When you play them, practice spacing and important things like that which is able to be practiced without much affect from the CPUs.

If you really need to work on making your moves connect, set them up to be in human like situations. For example, one may knock the CPU in the air and attempt a fastfalled Uair (hitting with the very edge or tip of the hitbox), seeing as in a real human match the person might be fastfalling and you would therefore actually hit them.

And if you have friends, the best route is to play against them instead of CPUs, because the human player will almost always be more beneficiary to your playstyle then a lowly CPU. (Unless the person is truly VERY bad, and you don't really have to try to win)
Ah ok I see. I know that friends are the very best way to go but I was just asking for when I can't play them and want to practice on my own. It may actually be helpful cuz I know my spacing sucks and I dont get to play my friends everyday, sometimes not for weeks.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
You know S.O.L.I.D you are realy annoying and i did not ask weather or not luke was good at defensive play. I asked who was the BEST at it.
OK... You can say I'm getting annoying all you want, but it's not going to change anything... If you want to continue our "discussion" through profile messaging that's fine, but don't let it carry to the boards. I was just giving you an answer to your statement.

EDIT: and BBoyindo is right, if someone gives you information, don't insult them, be grateful. We don't have to help you.

TP

Smash Master
What does the term "shield poking" mean?
As a shield wears down, it gets smaller. On tall characters, this means the shield does not reach their feet after the shield has taken a hit or been out for awhile. Low moves, such as Metaknight's Dtilt, can hit the opponent even when the opponent is shielding by taking advantage of this.

That is just an example.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
As a shield wears down, it gets smaller. On tall characters, this means the shield does not reach their feet after the shield has taken a hit or been out for awhile. Low moves, such as Metaknight's Dtilt, can hit the opponent even when the opponent is shielding by taking advantage of this.

That is just an example.
OK, thanks! I suspected that, but wanted to check. That was a fast answer. 8D

D

Deleted member

Hmmm... I currently main Wolf, but I've been playing some Marth lately... and I really like using him...

Would a Marth/Wolf combo cover match-ups pretty well? I'm more interesting in my mains being fun to use, of course, but I'd also like to know if it was a "good" combination (if I ever participate in a tournament)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
As long as you're good with them you should be fine. Marth's pretty good, and covers quite a few matchups nicely. I really don't know anything about Wolf, except something about how they always use nairs. It sounds alright, but you won't know for sure until you actually try playing with them a lot.

So good luck with that!

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hmmm... I currently main Wolf, but I've been playing some Marth lately... and I really like using him...

Would a Marth/Wolf combo cover match-ups pretty well? I'm more interesting in my mains being fun to use, of course, but I'd also like to know if it was a "good" combination (if I ever participate in a tournament)
yes, a marth/wolf combo would be good, you can use wolf as your main, and marth as your second, they are pretty good characters to use

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure only landing a hit on the opponent will stale your moves. However hitting items (including stage affects like Shy Guys) will refresh your moves.

Pranksta

Smash Rookie
is there a thread detailing ledge stealing and invincibility? I still dont have a firm grasp on the subject, i either take damage when i attempt it, or i roll up too soon

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure only landing a hit on the opponent will stale your moves. However hitting items (including stage affects like Shy Guys) will refresh your moves.
This ^

is there a thread detailing ledge stealing and invincibility? I still dont have a firm grasp on the subject, i either take damage when i attempt it, or i roll up too soon
Shortly after you roll up, you're no longer on the edge. Also, if you roll up from the edge while you still have ledge invincibility, you'll have more invincibility when you roll (although, that doesn't help you edgehog). The way to edgehog with the largest window of invulnerability is to use the longest lasting (as counted by how long it considers you on the edge for) getup action right before your edge invincibility wears off.

Pranksta

Smash Rookie
Shortly after you roll up, you're no longer on the edge. Also, if you roll up from the edge while you still have ledge invincibility, you'll have more invincibility when you roll (although, that doesn't help you edgehog). The way to edgehog with the largest window of invulnerability is to use the longest lasting (as counted by how long it considers you on the edge for) getup action right before your edge invincibility wears off.
if someone is off the edge and you want to prevent them from grabbing it, is the only way to jump on the edge right before they up B? Or can you already be on the ledge (past point of invincibility) and roll up right as they use their move?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i don't know of a thread dedicated to it, since it's not really worth a full thread. What i've said so far is pretty much all that there is to it.

Veng

Smash Ace
Is lylat a nuetral? Love that stage.

Also on stale moves if my dsmash and fair are stale, but then we get the center stage with the statues on CS, and I fair and dsmash the crap out of them, will that make my dsmash and fair less or more stale?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I posted this on the wario boards but they couldnt help so Ill try here. Im sorry if its the wrong board. Just ignore me if thats the case. Anyways, heres my question:

I hear people saying all the time that grab release combos give Wario a disadvantage in certain matchups
The only ones I know of though are the snake GR to Nair/UTilt and the Marth GR to FSmash
Are there other ones that I dont know about cause Ive heard people say dont get grabbed against Ganon, ZSS or Yoshi and I want to know why.
If someone could just list a couple more (or at least the ones concerning the characters above) that would be great

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Any character that holds wario high enough so his feet aren't on the ground when being held probably has a grab release combo on him. ZSS and Yoshi can cg him w/ them. Dunno about ganon. Sheik has a raep combo on him, but no one does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom