• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Well it sounds like you've given good evidence that shields all decrease at the same rate with respect to damage given. So no, there isn't any "extra" advantage to having a big shield. Although if Bowser's full shield was the same size as Kirby's full shield, that would be very dumb and Bowser would be useless. So yes there is a point to having a bigger shield...

Also the bigger shield could be used in rare circumstances to protect one's partner in doubles play.

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
JCMR: I have a new trick glitch in SSBBrawl and i wanna post this trick in SmashWiki, but I dont know how to do... But the video shows a new technique that I call "RAPIDI" but I don't know how post this in SmashWiki. PLEASE send me a message. Im JCMR and you can see the glitch in YouTube, only put this direction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4M0hHm1czE (I discoverded this Glitch with my Sister).

Cero

Smash Lord
Yes. Or, at least, I'm pretty sure that a grab should override an attack that has SA frames.

Just make sure that the character doing the grabbing doesn't get hit.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
is it useful to use computers to train your defense? e.g. setting 3 level 9s on a team and seeing if you can make it through 2 minutes without dying/gratuitous stalling?

Cero

Smash Lord
Cpu's are good training for defense and spacing.
Though, level 9's aren't the best practice since they're repetitive, stupid, and possess inhuman reflexes. All those lead to the development of bad habits within your playstyle.
The suggested cpu levels are 3 and 4. They're boring but those are the best levels for training in defense and spacing.

Also, a more realistic situation should be used while training. (1 vs. 1, no items, stock or unlimited time-w/e)
But, that's just my personal suggestion. If you feel that fighting 3 opponents at once will help you dodge attacks or training in fast brawl will help hone your reflexes, it's your own choice.

And as always, cpu's can never replace real, thinking human beings as sparring partners.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
ATM I'm just using lvl 3 cpus for unlocks and to be completely familiar with my character's moveset. I need 200 kos to get my "other options" menu, and I'm just beating the tar out of them to fill that req and know exactly where how and when luigi's moves proc. On top of that I'm trying to get as many upb kills as possible, just to cement it into my muscle memory (since the opportunity to do this in real matches are few-none).

My only question to your answer is, how in the world do I get a lv 3 to attack me enough to test my defense?

also, how can I focus on my spacing while fighting computers?

thirdly, wtf is up with your sig?

Cero

Smash Lord
1. Yes, I guess you have a point about the level 3 and 4 cpu's not attacking enough. They are mainly just for timing and spacing...
So, level 9's are good for practicing defense, I suppose. Just try not to get used to their patterns. It'll cost you in the long run.

2. Like I just said, level 3's and 4's are better suited for training up on spacing. Pay attention to how long the range and lag frames are for each of your character's moves. Also, pay attention to the same for your opponent's character's moves.

Memorize everything about your main's moveset. (how much percentage this move deals, does it combo into another move, how and when to use this move, etc.)
Observe and take mental notes about most of the opposing cast's movesets. (how much lag and range their move has, can you tech it, the best way to DI after getting hit from it, etc.)

If you just keep playing, all of these things will come naturally.

3. Lol.
What? Even Smash characters gotta take a break from fighting and rave, bruh. :chuckle:

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
One day i put a "Watch" in Brawl 3 Lv9com and Diddy Lv5... WTF!!! Diddy have the most losses obviously, but the others 3 have a real challengue... I hate how the com grab the items and fall behind of you, specially when appears a hammer, thats exactly why I only play in Wi-FI, but this is the best way for practice and win your opponents (Hmn). I think Diddy (com) is the most annoying of all the characters. Well, Lv9 com have inhumane abilities and when the com kills you the others 2 com... TAUNTING LIKE A TEAM and all the final smashes is only for YOU!!! (specially Ike and ToonLink, and all the characters...

Cero

Smash Lord
^^
...Lolwut?

I can see that you're not very fluent in English so we'll let that slide.
Aside from that though, questions only. (Well, at least I think you didn't ask a question.)

Oh, and I enjoy watching the cpu's fight too. They're pretty stupid actually. :laugh:

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Does the concept of the "Smash Tutor" exist? Better yet, does the "Smash Tutor" himself/herself exist? If so, does he/she have the near eternal patience to HELP someone who is not at all competitive and fails at Brawl epically?

I don't mean to come off as sarcastic... it's just that I don't want to be lulled into false hope...

And yes, I'm basically in the same spot as this guy, just on a different end of the emotional spectrum. That, and I'm more reluctant to quit than he is: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192326

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
There are Smash Tutors. A long long long long LONG LONG time ago Ken offered tutelage for like 15 dollars an hour. I believe Gimpy helped someone for... an interview with 1up? I'm not ENTIRELY sure.

Just go to a tourney. I'm sure you'll find someone to help. You're in Texas. There are some decent players down there. Start looking.

Cero

Smash Lord
Most of the characters you just listed are ranked very high on the tier list. (Meta Knight especially)

If you want to go by the tier list to determine which character has the best match-ups against the rest of the cast, Meta Knight's your man. (He has no bad match-ups. :ohwell:)

My suggestion, though, would be to just choose a character you like or whose playstyle matches yours.
After all, Meta Knight might not have the right playstyle for you and you might perform better with a more laggier, long-ranged, grounded character like Ike.
Or, maybe a crazy technical, chain grabbing beast duo like the Ice Climbers. It all comes down to personal preference really.

Master Fist

Smash Rookie
Is there any failsafe strategies againts people who constantly roll and shield until you miss then take a short advantage? And please do not say shield grabbing, I suck at that...

CR4SH

Smash Lord
This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but what I feel is some good advice. The best way I've found to get better is to go to tournaments (obviously), and after you lose, try to get the person to tell you what you did wrong. Or see if they'll try to explain to you why it was they beat you. Seems to me that a person who just took a match from you is in the best position to know why they won and you lost (since they probably read you like a book). Also I try and get them to friendly fight me once or twice to see if I can correct the flaws that they've noticed.

Obviously this doesn't work with everyone, since not everyone has great insights to share, and not everyone really feels like helping you out. But when you can get it to happen, I think it's really helpful. It is important not to be obnoxious about it though. Polite=win.

Cero

Smash Lord
Is there any failsafe strategies againts people who constantly roll and shield until you miss then take a short advantage? And please do not say shield grabbing, I suck at that...
cr4sh's advice is really good. But, to answer your question specifically about punishing roll dodge and shield spammers, try not to be too aggressive.

Spamming shield and roll dodge only works if you're opponent keeps blindly attacking every chance he/she gets. Just take a few seconds to cool off and wait to see what your opponent will do next.

If your opponent roll dodges, follow their roll and punish them with a low lag attack or a grab. If your opponent shields, run in and feint an attack or back off and space yourself with some aerials or projectiles.

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
Probably been asked a jillion times before, but is it possible to Smash DI out of the fach whorenado or anything? If so, what direction? I've tried mashing up, left, down, right...

The best strategy I've found against it has been to STAY AWAY and SHIELD (if you have to) and then punish if you can, or time attacks to break it. If I get caught in it, I try to fastfall and attack before MK has a chance to do anything, although if I'm close enough to the ledge I might try to get some breathing room, because sometimes he manages to trap me in it again because he is A JORK.

If anyone has any other advice, that'd be great... I've gotten pretty used to it and read the anti-tornado threads so it's not really a nightmare, just really annoying when I go from 0-47 because I'm playing a heavy character.

blackzard

Smash Rookie
Hi!
Im kind new here and i have a question about brawl.
I usually play with wolf and today, i played against peach(human) and i just cant win unless i fire him with my gun, and camp a little...
She has very strong attacks, and seems that, some of her smashs cant be countered, like when she hits with her butt (LOL) and the slaps...It´s really annoying to me...even when i play with Ike, some of her smashes seems to have priority.Another problem that i noticed, is when she slaps and fsmash (an attack that shynes) i just cant jump after that...
NOTE: The player that uses peach, is always suspended on air, and trying to attack with her feet, and then combo.

My question is, who the hell is the best character to fight against her.. (i´ve already looked in her thread but didnt find it)

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
MetaKnight is the best character in Brawl... and don't remember the Halberd stage. I hate peoples thats only uses the Tornado trick, very predictable and is easy to avoid, but annoying. My GamePlay with MetaKnight is Offensive and Defensive, because is bored play like a "Im stand and Im waiting for you" is stupid and dissapointing for me and for the people who wants the game and dont have Wii. :( Im a lucky person having Smash Bros.64, Melee and Brawl, maybe Im a n00b in this page and speaking english but in Smash, I have experience. The trick for beat this morons is fall behind them and when this player react, he quickly go to repeat the same trick and this is your oportunity, but never imitates him. (Nice pic Cero :)

Cero

Smash Lord
^^
I know his English is a little hard to understand, but he knows what he's talking about. :)
If you wish to switch to another character in an attempt to gain an advantage over your friend, Meta Knight is currently at the top of the tier list.

By the way you described your friend's playstyle and the fact that you lose to him consistently, I'd say he's just a better player.

Keep fighting him. Get as much practice as you can. Eventually, you'll get stronger; strong enough to beat your friend. And, strong enough so that no one can call you a blaster spamming n00b.

Also, there are many characters that have an easier time fighting against a Peach. But, in the end, the character you choose to main is up to you and your personal preference.

Oh, and welcome to Smash Boards.

@ JCMR-Brawler64:

Thank you. :bee:
But, ummm... Which pic are you talking about? Lol.

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
While dashing (I guess you could be walking?) forward quickly tap the opposite direction to turn around. IMMEDIATELY after you tap, press jump and slam the control stick in the other direction to keep going in that direction and then attack to do your bair forward. (You actually don't have to go forward in that direction if you turn around, jump, then use the c-stick to attack while moving however you want to in the air, which you'll usually want to do for spacing anyway)

but really, just dash, tap back then JUMP and then bair

Diddy King

Smash Cadet
Hey, I was wondering is anyone could link, or explain to me how to "snake dash". Im really confused and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cero

Smash Lord
- Boosting Technique: Smash-Boosting (a.k.a. Snake Dashing, etc)
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack, then do an up-smash during the beginning of the dash attack animation. Timing differs for each character.
Various Methods: C-stick down to initiate dash attack, then Up+Z to do the up-smash; C-stick down, C-stick up; A-button, C-stick up.
Effect: Character slides an absurd distance while simultaneously performing an Up-smash. Up-smash can be charged. Distance traveled varies by character, but is more pronounced than the Jump-Canceled Up-Smash. Can be done with anybody, but the following characters benefit most from this: Jigglypuff, Sheik, Link, Wario, Snake, Falco and Wolf
[AUG 28 update] The Comprehensive Guide to AT's, Discoveries and Glitches

^^
Well, there you have it. But, next time, please use the search function.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Will playing online improve my general play?

I'm doing everything I can to get better, without having a consistent opponent. I do have a weekly tourny I go to, which is the base of everything I'm doing really. But during the week when I have extra time, I want to know how to maximize it when I decide to practice my brawl.

I'm worried that the input lag in brawl will give me bad habits with my luigi, since he has so little move lag, and online completely changes his game. Am I better off just sticking with my second (GW) online? Am I better off just sticking to dummies and dumb computers?

I'm just wondering if online is worth taking at all seriously through the delay.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Some people experience much less lag online than others. The lag might cause you to develop bad habits, but it will also expose you to a lot of diversity in play styles. That is, getting used to how real people respond to different situations. So it is helpful, so long as you're careful about what you learn from it and what you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom