• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help with link's bad recovery

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
as you all know link's recovery sucks a little compared to other characters

but in melee there where many ways to make it better such as air dodging towards the stage and performing a tether recovery.also you could throw a bomb up and spin attack into it to do another one or to hookshot in to the stage.

sadly you cant do any of that in brawl because you dont gain any momentum to hookshot and for some reasons unknown a bomb cannot be hit while it is in the air even if you are on the ground and throw a bomb straight up and after that throw another one into it.they will just go over the other.

so i am asking if any of you has found a better way to recover in brawl so i can actually start maining link like in melee.

P.S.also can the gale boomerang also affect you by pulling you back in to the stage.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
The only way the Gale can affect you is if it becomes "not yours". This happens when it's shined/reflected by any sort of reflecting attacks (shine, mario's cape, pit's shield and side-B, etc.)

Link's recovery IS indeed not that amazing, however, it's not that bad, either. As long as you DI properly and use your second jump (if available) wisely, you should have no problems getting back to the stage at really high percents.

Also, make sure you don't spin attack straight up, and instead angle yourself. Don't want to gay yourself that way.

-Nox`

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
as you all know link's recovery sucks.
I'm not even going to say please you worthless waste of life. Have you ever played this game? It's called Super Smash Brothers Brawl, not Legend of Zelda: Link's adventure. I highly advise you to play this wonderful game before you come posting on these forums that pertain to this specific game. When your mother showed you this site you may have gotten a little confused, but it's okay. Just leave and never come back.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
I'm not even going to say please you worthless waste of life. Have you ever played this game? It's called Super Smash Brothers Brawl, not Legend of Zelda: Link's adventure. I highly advise you to play this wonderful game before you come posting on these forums that pertain to this specific game. When your mother showed you this site you may have gotten a little confused, but it's okay. Just leave and never come back.
...What?

Link's recovery DOES suck. This wasn't necessary at all.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
...What?

Link's recovery DOES suck. This wasn't necessary at all.

Listen, I'm a smash veteran, and I've been studying Link's attacks and such for longer than you've probably known about the game in the first place (let alone realize the potential behind most of the complexities and whatnot) so I'd just keep stupid comments like that to yourself. In brawl, every character has an exceptional recovery, (if you haven't noticed) and if you need help with getting back on the ledge with Link (or any character for that matter, save like, lucario or lucas or whatever) you need help more with playing the game and not recovery. They modified this game to make it less like a "recovery heavy ledge worry," game. But I guess you're just to insipid to understand.

BiG BirD

Smash Rookie
Listen, I'm a smash veteran, and I've been studying Link's attacks and such for longer than you've probably known about the game in the first place (let alone realize the potential behind most of the complexities and whatnot) so I'd just keep stupid comments like that to yourself. In brawl, every character has an exceptional recovery, (if you haven't noticed) and if you need help with getting back on the ledge with Link (or any character for that matter, save like, lucario or lucas or whatever) you need help more with playing the game and not recovery. They modified this game to make it less like a "recovery heavy ledge worry," game. But I guess you're just to insipid to understand.
I agree with you the Link's recovery doesn't suck, but his opinion doesn't give you reason to flame the guy. Maybe you should try giving him pointers on how to use Link's recovery so that it doesn't "suck" for him. ;)

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
oooohhh... all hail the vet. he's a "journeyman" let us n00bs bow down to him in shame.

Aurashade, please. sure, everyone's recovery got boosted, but now even though link has a better recovery, it is worse in perspective to other characters. There are always going to be bad recoveries ands good recoveries no matter how much everyones recovery was boosted, unless every character has the exact same recovery.

If you can't comprehend what i said, please say so so i can point out every detail to help you ouy.

so yes, links recovery sucks.

also, i don't believe you can make it much better so that is just going to have to be one of Links weaknesses.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
first of all thank you for your kind advices.second i was looking for a creative and alternative way of recovery not to get insulted by the almighty smash veteran.

and for the recovery sucks part it is comparing to most of the other characters

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
well since the bombs explode sooner, its possible to pull out a bomb as soon as you can move and have it explode b4 you die if you can't grab the ledge.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Contrary to (un)popular belief... Link's recovery is sub par. For one, the auto-sweetspot doesn't work if for some reason Link (and Toon Link) are facing away from the edge when they come in contact with it using their Up+B.

What is frustrating the OP seems to be the lack of *options* Link now has when it comes to recovery. That was one of his saving graces in Melee, among a few other things. The same ol' recovery gets horrendously predictable after a few times, and so having options is paramount.

DI can save you, that's a given; but the thing is that's an 'option' per say available to EVERY character. ALMOST every other character has multiple options to recover in addition to their 'standard' recovery. Off the top of my head:
Fox/Falco/Wolf w/ their Illusion/Phantasm
Pit/MK with their gliding
R.O.B. ... B-air and countless variations on his standard recovery
Samus with the bomb jump (both single and double; although admittedly its less effective now)
Zamus/Diddy w/ side B.
The list goes on.

What does Link have? A 'difficult' to control recovery, and a virtually non-useful clawshot. Its not the actual recovery itself that sucks, its the lack of OPTIONS that is sub-par. IMO, Link and Peach are the worst victims of recovery nerfs, which is frustrating.

That being said- in response to the OP's questions: I think B-sticking (or whatever term you prefer to call it) can help a bit by giving you a backward push. The effect is minimal, and the fact you have your back to your opponent isn't good. Also, try to save your 2nd jump for as LONG as you can. Get out of your tumbling animation by DI'ing to slow the momentum of your flight, and then wiggling your control stick back and forth to 'shake out' of the tumble, as it were.

Also, this isn't a *direct* help to the recovery, but it certainly aids in it. On your way down, throw everything and the kitchen sink at the ledge. Essentially, create a 'wall of projectiles' to cut off the edge to your opponent, or in the very least make it difficult for them to mount a proper edgeguard.

That's all the advice I can give. Lawlz.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
thanks that is the most reasonable help i have gotten.and for links recovery it will stay like that until somebody finds an alternate way.

Eten

Smash Ace
Breaking tumbling with an air dodge is pretty reliable and safe while it lets you do pretty much everything else in DI that you'd normally do. I'd break tumble with an airdodge over wiggling the control stick. You can break tumbles much faster overall in brawl than you could in melee.

Or, if bombs really do explode fast enough just by being held, I know that all b moves can be used out of a tumble just like an air dodge, so if someone has the method to DI properly and pull out a bomb at the same time can break the tumble, and have the bomb explode on their way back to the stage for the additional recovery.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
umm... yes what words of wisdom have you shared with us? All ive seen is you ranting about how we aare ridiculous noobs and you are some great smash vet. I see no wisdom in that

Aurashade

Smash Ace
umm... yes what words of wisdom have you shared with us? All ive seen is you ranting about how we aare ridiculous noobs and you are some great smash vet. I see no wisdom in that
Maybe if you lurked this board a little bit more instead of making an account just to say "linkz so cool omg omg omg omg im gunna main him so if any1 has anee advice 4 me dat wud b so kool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also, I didn't give you permission to open the hole in your face that spews crap everywhere.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, Link's recovery isn't that bad. The tether isn't really useful, UNLESS you know you can reach the stage. The tether range got nerfed, but it still gives you another choice in how you DI. Link's DI is pretty good versus Lucas and his Dair spike. (if Lucas hits you with his Dair it can spike on the third hit.) I have to play versus my brother who has played Ness since 1999 to Brawl, than he swapped to Lucas, so perhaps he is just very very good with the dair on Ness/Lucas. But, he finds it harder to spike/edge guard my link than say, most of the other characters, including my Fox/Wolf/Falco. If I try that illusion side-b, he hits me nearly 100% for a dair spike kill. Like he hits me in the middle of the illusion. So, I really think this argument that Link has a lack of recovery options is BS. He gets a decent amount of horizontal and vertical distance with his jumps, which helps him recovery in a lot of different situations. Some characters like Peach, have a WORTHLESS second jump now, and her umbrella is mostly horizontal distance, so even though Link's survivability has gone down, I don't think you can say it is as harsh as the Nerf to peach's.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
if you're close to the edge when trying to get back onto the stage, you can airdodge and then hookshot out of it. Saves you from the agony of metaknight combos. Trust me.

Seven11

Smash Cadet
Wow...

Maybe if you lurked this board a little bit more instead of making an account just to say "linkz so cool omg omg omg omg im gunna main him so if any1 has anee advice 4 me dat wud b so kool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also, I didn't give you permission to open the hole in your face that spews crap everywhere.
Wow... Go back to the gamefaqs boards. Link's recovery DOES suck. It is way worse than most of the characters in brawl, and is easily thwarted without much effort from some of the other characters that have recovery skills to chase way off screen and attack. If you are attacked offscreen and don't die from it immediately, LINK WILL NOT RECOVER. Most characters will.

In closing, Link's recovery sucks, no matter how much of a pro you think you are.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman

um... yes i need your permission to open my mouth? no. and my main is definately diddy kong.. He has a good recovery unlike link. i was not even looking for advice on link.. i was actually lurking in the link section and came to this thread. i wouldnt've posted unil i saw yours saying how you were such a legend of smash bros when no one has even heard of you probly. Im not saying im a legend, just that you have no reason to go around smashboards screaming "omg like im a friggin journeyman! im a smash veteran look at my post count! you n00bs suck at life because everyone has super good recovery in brawl! everyone!" when someone has merely asked for help on his chars recovery.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
why can't you let this **** die?

The point is that link's recovery is NOT BAD. It just isn't as good as other peoples. That means that you should have no trouble recovering, if you just don't DI badly.

Also, you can use the tether to grab the edge as you are being sent flying (there is a vid, look for it --uses toon link but link can do the same), and you can iirc use d-air in a similar way to cancel upwards momentum as soon as the stun ends <_<

Also, don't pick fights with aurashade. You'll lose, waste your time, AND he'll just continue

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Link's recovery isn't bad, it just isn't ridiculously easy to use like most characters. You have to use his phat projectile game to prevent people from chasing you. You have many options when recovering. If you can't get back to the stage when you get knocked off with Link, you are doing it wrong and you need to practice his recovery more.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
Link's recovery isn't bad, it just isn't ridiculously easy to use like most characters. You have to use his phat projectile game to prevent people from chasing you. You have many options when recovering. If you can't get back to the stage when you get knocked off with Link, you are doing it wrong and you need to practice his recovery more.
I loled.

Thank you though, in the future I will use his phat projectile game to ensure I always make it back to the stage when I am knocked off.

As an aside, who's recovery would you say is bad? It's all relative so I'd be curious to know how many characters would rank lower in terms of recovery.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
I loled.

Thank you though, in the future I will use his phat projectile game to ensure I always make it back to the stage when I am knocked off.

As an aside, who's recovery would you say is bad? It's all relative so I'd be curious to know how many characters would rank lower in terms of recovery.
exactly my point. Brawl's link recovery is very good relative to melee characters. but this is brawl, where everyone else has a great recovery compared to melee. Link, even with a boosted recovery, still has a bad recovery when compared to most brawl characters. Whatever im done with this discussion

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Hrmm, the only "bad" recovery in Brawl I think is Olimar. The others that are worse than most are just difficult to use. Ivysaur, for example, can do the sideB to hit an edgehogger before doing the upB. ZSS can do her downB or sideB to knock an edgehogger away or force them to roll and then upB. Olimar is just boned ;P

Top Bottom