• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
we're all sinners in the F-air range of an angry god
fweajklrwerj;eurioiewaoripu oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh my god

EDIT:: to ease the religious tension in this thread, i advise everyone to listen to this
EDIT2:: i have job orientation today and i am ridiculously scared
this has been a post

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
lol instead of discussing the new smash games coming up you guys are discussing God.

If God exists then Brawl would have been more like Melee so we'd have one smash community.

I wonder if everyone's going to jump to the 4th game or if it'll fragment the tourneygoers even more... Somehow I doubt Melee/Brawl skills will be transferable to the new game.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
They released an article last night or within the last week or so that said the new system would not compatible with any Cube software or hardware (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think Dylan posted the article on FB). Basically this means, if you wanna play the new Smash competitively, you won't be able to use a Gamecube controller (at least until they develop a convertor or what not).

And basically, I'm not trying to play Smash without a GC controller for a lot of obvious reasons. Hopefully that changes or they release a GC like controller for the new system.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
no cube controller slots but they will release a new (normal) controller eventually. Besides, nintendo always makes super ergonomic controllers so it's not like it'll take a long time to get used to.

either way, you have a looooooong time until you even have to worry about the next smash

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
Kage gets points for religion, though. Don't believe what you hear, study and learn yourself. (you realize, though, that you're basically a huge collection of all the influences surrounding you throughout your life, right?)

Or you could think of God as a Hive mind, created out of all the good intentions and redeemable qualities found in the human race. Respectively, all the bad qualities are what composes the Mo(u?)rning Star.

ALSO - No compatibility with the cube? what? I feel like thats a bad move. What good Wii games were there?

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
hard to take that answer seriously. the wii had some legitimately good games on it and alot of them were super different from anything else on the other consoles.

Games like Muramasa, Mad world, No more Heroes, Sin and Punishment 2 etc are super good games and are unlike anything on any other console. Not to mention the first-party developed stuff. Most people when they think of good games on the other consoles, its all western developed FPSs or western third person action games or western RPGs.

Granted, the hardcore audience kinda left the wii

so no one really knows how good those games were.

and they didn't sell.

so they probably won't get additions to the series

Mannnnnnnnn.

the wii sucked

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I believe in a god type figure... but I don't think god is anything we've heard about in a book passed down from thousands of years ago. When you sit back and think about it the stories ain't any different from a fairytale similar to santa claus, you believe it initially because its what your taught.. but having to beg and pray and all this other bs for nothing to ever happen kinda kills the whole "devine mighty being" thing for me. Some people are born into easy lives compared to others who gotta constantly struggle only for u to pray beg and plead. For forgiveness and go to church and for some preacher who ***** some kids son to tell u ur struggles will only make u stronger. Idk it all just seems kinda farfetched to me. I will edit this to make it more readable when I get time.. im at work and just blurting thoughts

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I believe in a god type figure... but I don't think god is anything we've heard about in a book passed down from thousands of years ago. When you sit back and think about it the stories ain't any different from a fairytale similar to santa claus, you believe it initially because its what your taught.. but having to beg and pray and all this other bs for nothing to ever happen kinda kills the whole "devine mighty being" thing for me. Some people are born into easy lives compared to others who gotta constantly struggle only for u to pray beg and plead. For forgiveness and go to church and for some preacher who ***** some kids son to tell u ur struggles will only make u stronger. Idk it all just seems kinda farfetched to me. I will edit this to make it more readable when I get time.. im at work and just blurting thoughts

I don't like to be servants for someone apparently greater than me. I am my own servant with the vision of greatness.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Killin it today. Now we are on the same page. Mad respect.
After all these years, my warrior BS finally makes sense. lol. I personally don't think God wants to you to be a slave of anything, he wants you to be a great person just like he did... If I am indeed part of God then it should be so. Having faith is totally fine but you just need to direct it in the right way for you.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Kage: I do not believe in God. The concept on every level is either narcissistic (really thinking we have a priveleged position in the universe that we know relatively VERY little about), baseless (we hold everything else about our reality [SCIENCE!] to a rigid standard of evidence for it being factual, religion and God should not be special in that regard) and fallacious (regresses in design arguments, serious logical inconsistencies with things about his omniscience/potence/benevolence). I could go on and on.

Mainly though, the extent of my "beliefs" are basically about the connectivity of everything (on a molecular/atomic level, it makes so much more sense) and about the meaning of things. I basically decided that everything (you can seriously reductio back to this in a lot of ways) is:

Functionally meaningful (subjective) and existentially/inherently meaningless (objective)

And as far as being a slave to ANYTHING: **** that ****, you are free.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I mean.. I still think there was something that's started it all.. but no matter how scientific you wanna make it seem big bang seems kinda silly and so does the adam and eve story but I do know for sure im not gonna give credit to god for everything good that happens to me that I've had to bust my *** to get when there's others who have it handed to them and then go off and say everything not good is because of some devil figure out to bring me down

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
If you realize that space and time are only a function of our perspective (as humans) and not inherently real, you'll realize that thinking of a before and after the "start" of the universe makes literally no sense. Time isn't "real" and therefore there is no starting point of "creation" because something being "created" assumes a timestream being real; at the very least we need not assume that our perspective is the full or even the partially accurate one. Unfortunately, what is "real" cannot be fathomed due to the limitations of our mind (we only see in three dimensions).

It is still fun to speculate on (Metaphysics!) but naive to claim knowledge of the unknowable.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
If you realize that space and time are only a function of our perspective (as humans) and not inherently real...
what? if time was only a function of our perspective, then time would not have existed before the human race, which makes zero sense. just because time and space always existed doesn't mean that time and space aren't real, it just means that time and space don't require an inherent creation point. if this isn't what you're saying then 'function' was a very poor choice of wording.

EDIT:: both subjective and objective reality exist. just because we don't know what part of our reality is subjective or objective doesn't mean that it is ALL subjective.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
depends which dimension your perspective is in.

i think josh is considering things from the absolute tenth dimension or something, while ocean is still considering things from the current finite 3/4 dimensions we can readily experience.

personally, i prefer to stay out of such things, as a chemist, and not a physicist.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Right.

I should clarify:

When I say time isn't real I mean "time, as we perceive it, as a string of moments, is not a real or accurate depiction of existence of what reality might be like." We just can only talk about time as we understand it and past that we have really no ground to stand on. Think about Flatland; the citizens are ignorant and limited in the exact same way.

And I have to disagree. What we see and understand is completely subjective as we process it via space and time and have no other means by which to interpret information.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I'm just looking at it epistemologically:

We have a filter (space and time) that removes our ability to understand any other way because anything else you say is based off an understanding which only applies to a universe within space and time. Again, read Flatland to conceptualize this.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
When I say time isn't real I mean "time, as we perceive it, as a string of moments, is not a real or accurate depiction of existence of what reality might be like." We just can only talk about time as we understand it and past that we have really no ground to stand on. Think about Flatland; the citizens are ignorant and limited in the exact same way.
saying this gets us absolutely nowhere.
we can talk about time and have ground to stand on, because we experience it. we are representatives of time in the 3rd dimension and the 3rd dimension alone, but just because we cannot experience all facets and possible experiences of time does not mean that our experience with time is any less valid of a perspective of time. science operates by eliminating false perspectives through vigorous testing, and most often trial and error; in this same sense, we have no reason to believe that our perspective of time is any less valid (yet) because no counter examples against our understanding, and examples of how time is "actually perceived" have been presented.
however, we cannot talk about time in any form that supersedes our ability to experience it, because we are unable to experience it.

And I have to disagree. What we see and understand is completely subjective as we process it via space and time and have no other means by which to interpret information.
I never said what we see and understand isn't completely subjective. what I said was that just because our view of reality is subjective doesn't make the fact that objective reality exists any less true.

I'm just looking at it epistemologically:

We have a filter (space and time) that removes our ability to understand any other way because anything else you say is based off an understanding which only applies to a universe within space and time. Again, read Flatland to conceptualize this.
and? nobody claims to understand anything outside of our understood reality.

vZakat

Half Genie
I actually agree with kyle here. Just because our view of the world is subjective doesn't mean that there isn't an objective truth. It's impossible for us to know what is really true.

...Unless someone who actually does know tells us. i.e. God.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
yo, where the **** is john wittle when you need him?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
saying this gets us absolutely nowhere.
we can talk about time and have ground to stand on, because we experience it. we are representatives of time in the 3rd dimension and the 3rd dimension alone, but just because we cannot experience all facets and possible experiences of time does not mean that our experience with time is any less valid of a perspective of time. science operates by eliminating false perspectives through vigorous testing, and most often trial and error; in this same sense, we have no reason to believe that our perspective of time is any less valid (yet) because no counter examples against our understanding, and examples of how time is "actually perceived" have been presented.
however, we cannot talk about time in any form that supersedes our ability to experience it, because we are unable to experience it.

Of course it gets us "nowhere", we are discussing things which we cannot possibly know due to inherent limitations.

Obviously I invest in science as a means of attempting to explain and understand our reality. We have no choice other than to use it if we wish to flourish and continue to exist (rationally). And our three dimensional view of time is perfectly valid within a three dimensional universe. We do not yet have counter examples so we work with what we have; we also do not have the perspective of any being which exists outside of that universe.

I never said what we see and understand isn't completely subjective. what I said was that just because our view of reality is subjective doesn't make the fact that objective reality exists any less true.

Saying objective reality exists is repetitive. Objective reality means "a reality which exists outside of a subjective view point". Obviously I agree on this too.

I think Chris is correct. We agree and are talking about two different things.

and? nobody claims to understand anything outside of our understood reality.

Sure they do. We call them "religious".
Responses in bold.

Top Bottom