• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Yeah mang. I got work and I tutor and babysit on the side and I got a high school friend nearby to hang with and Sypherphoenix hosts some Melee weeklies. Pretty sweet.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Me, Taheem, Tac, Corey, and Zach all live within a 3-5 minute drive. South Raleigh near NCSU. I personally am always down for games if I'm in the area (which is less often during the summer).

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Hey,

Ive been playing for about 6 months now. I am decent, not that good (only been to one tourney, got *****) but I have NO1 to play with. There is not a single person I know in my area or in my school that plays smash and is remotely decent (I ask around a bit, too). Im not 18 with tons of freedom and are able to just meet up at random smasher's houses and game, there is no way my parents would let me do something like that and drive me there. My brother is the only one I can play with when he is home from college and only when he feels like it. How do I play with more people? How did you guys do it?

BTW, I live in Mooresville, about 30 min away from Charlotte. Any help appreciated, Im bored with ****** lv 9 cpus.

Edit : Should I really try to get some other people into it, competitively? If so, how do I motivate casual players to actually play for real and learn to play by watching vids and reading on the boards?? I know one person sorta trying to get good, but Im not sure if its going to happen (pbly not :glare:)

BTW, ill try to make it Dark Hart

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You live close to Charlotte so you could have Charlotte guys play with you. There are quite a few of them. If you can't get em here, then try on facebook via the facebook group(let me know when you add if you haven't already.)

If you want to recruit guys near you anyway, then you need to show them the appeal of the game. Pick like Falcon or something and do cool combos so the game looks good. Show them good combo videos and matches so they can hear some detail about how the game should be played and how intense it is. Let them learn some tech and feel good moving around the stage. That's a pretty good way to appeal to most anyone.

People learn differently. They may just want to play instead of watch videos so you may have to go easier on them or salt them up depending on who they are lol. Communicating your own interest in the game and what you have done and will do is likely to help as well.

You have options, I promise.

GCS Gaming Customs

Thanks for the advice pp

Ill try showing them more combo vids and such and try to motivate them to learn some of the tech skills on their free time. I can try to make a fbook, but parents are really against it (even if its not a personal one, they can be weird) so that can help out, but not until I can get one. But how did you play with other people when you were my age?

I can't just hit up random smashers from Charlotte and go to their houses and play. I could go for like a tourney, but otherwise, I don't think it would go over so well asking my parents to let me go to some guy who play super smash bros' house to play video games. Im sure you see where Im coming from :ohwell:

Again, thanks for the help, any1 else have any other advice or personal experience in the matter?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
have those people come to ur place and let your parents meet them so they can be comfortable with you hanging out. then they will be more okay letting you visit. that's what mine did(well they went with me to tourneys first then I could go to houses but whatever lol.)

I played with my brother Twitch but I had no one else close to me. I would take one weekend a month and convince my parents to let me drive to someone's place(I already met them IRL and if I met that requirement and checked in kinda regularly it was fine.) I made amazing use of that limited time and practiced hard and watched videos etc in the meantime so I would have plenty to test every time I was fortunate enough to play a human.

In a way I have to keep doing that now since I no longer live with someone willing to play me every day lmao.

GCS Gaming Customs

Thanks again, Ill try to meet some people at whatever tourney I go to next. It really helps to get insight from someone who has been thru it.

BTW, do u post smashfests on here? And are they just like mini tourneys?

GCS Gaming Customs

That'd be nice. I'd be willing to go to one (live about an hour away from greensboro).

Ill try to make a profile completely smash oriented sometime soon, just for controllers and connecting with the community. Thanks for all of the advice, you've been a lot of help!

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Any smashers that play Melee and/or Brawl in North Raleigh? I don't own Brawl but I usually play at a friend's house.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Any smashers that play Melee and/or Brawl in North Raleigh? I don't own Brawl but I usually play at a friend's house.
I play Melee and PM; though I live by NCSU I'm in North Raleigh fairly often. If you add me on FB I can let you know when I'm around.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
dude it must suck at 14 my mom was driving me to tournaments & reading books god i love mama lackey and puppey sama as well as baby puppy sama, sell those controls you make & use that money to bus to tourneys

GCS Gaming Customs

Ill try :)

Thanks for the kind words, I will try to find ways to work it out, keep on posting tourneys, one day I will hopefully be able to contribute tourneys myself...

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
sup. i'll try to send skytch/locke in here so you two can connect. he lives in charlotte. UNC-charlotte is rather active when school is in session.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Man this notification system is failing me like crazy. Missed a bunch of posts.

Hi I'll be in Charlotte when school starts back as well.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I've just moved back to campus, and I'll be in my new apartment next week. I'm probably going to be really busy with RA training/responsibilities for the next few weeks, but if anyone wants to drop by on a weekend, let me know.

Top Bottom