• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I...meh...whatever. do we really want random seeding outside the PR? cuz i guess if that's what we want, uhhhh nah i still don't like the sound of it LOL

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well the seeding for 1-10 is based on PRs, so I'm assuming you mean the stuff after that. That, honestly, is pretty subjective. I'm not gonna lie about that. If you wanna help me with it in the future, I'd be happy to have your help on seeding because I do feel like it's pretty hard to get a lot of people(Raleigh) seeded well when I don't play them so much and don't know how well they're doing these days.

Very reasonable concern!

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah i was just gonna say, if theres a random and we don't know how good they are, they're not gonna get a courtesy good seed because nonexistent reasons. so yeah i guess it is a popularity contest.

i'll also just throw out the fact that I, along with many other players, play far differently in friendlies than i do in tournament. i would hope that people don't assume at a tournament that whatever way i warmed up is the way i'm about to play, and thus seeded me differently than otherwise. overall i guess i'm glad i'm PR'd cuz if i wasn't and people stared at me and saw how trash i am on occasion, they'd potentially seed me differently...idk...

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
all i know is, sneak will forever be PR'd cuz i'm gonna keep taking him to things to beat me =/

and yeah my bad lucas. i'm actually the king of consistency, i just have two somewhat different levels between tournament play and...not.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Yo if regions had their own rankings that would be sooooo helpful.

But that would mean basically one person from every region organizing the data for a larger "smash tribunal" that would be second only to the actual panel itself would be toooo crazy.

Damn the NC MELEE PR political revolt.

vZakat

Half Genie
If the next NCSU event coincides with my schedule then I promise to practice the week before and enter. How's that sound?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Man, we've got a twofer regarding the space pen issue, this time from the always excellent AmazingSuperPowers.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
ncsu's still happen?

regarding PRs.....

That first link was bracket theory, so I'm not sure how that helps anything because it explained that TIO was good and we use TIO. The second link seems to be saying "this is how tennis seeds." This is actually how TIO seeds as well when we do this by "skill" when we seed with TIO. I think the only argument you could make about this is sometimes the seeding isn't "random" for seeds 5-8 for certain parts of the bracket, but the article even suggests that this isn't a staple procedure when seeding, so why should it be ours? The last link seemed to say that bad seeds happen, and you should try to work hard to get a better seed.....which is something I always add in to my posts.

So let's go to your other point, about how all "ten" PR'd players should show up to a tournament to determine PRs. How do we decide which of these 10 is worth harassing? What do we do about people who kind of play(Twitch) who don't come out much but are PR-worthy consistently when they show up? Do we include only people CURRENTLY ranked? What if we know one of them is dropping off or playing less, or some others(fiz) are rising up?

Aside from all of this, how do we even get all of these people here for sure? Surely there must be some incentive like a large turnout/pot bonus/etc if this traditionally does not work out for us.

I certainly agree that having everyone show up would be WONDERFUL in terms of PRs, but how is that achieved? Even so, is it THAT much better than having most ranked players go to most tournaments so they end up playing the field and everyone gets a fair showing in a given ranking period anyway?

These questions are not asked to be rude, but to illustrate the size of the issue on our hands. I would not mind having more people show up and having higher levels of competition at tournaments, but I do not believe that having multiple data points with most of the same players and seeing who remains consistently ranked in what area over time also provides very telling evidence for player skill.

I believe that, to start with this issue, we need to first start looking at attendance. We have enough tournaments, but not enough people come out always that want to be ranked. This means it's partly community and partly TO'ing(aka general hype level) we must improve. I can do what I can with the Greensboro tourneys to bring hype(we have a good venue and it's Melee-only and run super fast so we can have neat SIDE EVENTS to encourage people to come out and have something new!) I can't do it alone though. We all have to travel and contribute to discussions before things get to this point of frustration to continually improve the health of Melee in our state and our own level of ability and of course gather accurate representations of skill.

I'd keep going but I doubt many people will read much of this as it is. I do want to make an impact and want PRs to work out better, but that's part of a bigger issue you're touching on with your suggestion, Dylan.

Lemme know what you guys think.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Reading about the PRs hurts my brain >_< if you want to be PRd you should accept the system that's in place and work to get on. If you want to be on the PRs but don't agree with the way they're done, that's a lot like entering a tournament and then complaining about the ruleset (shoutouts to scar). If you enter you're pretty much agreeing to play by that tournament's rules.

I think the way the PRs are done is pretty much the best way we can do them. Is it perfect? No. It's not going to be. And I don't freaking care. I wouldn't care even if I was good enough to be on them.

It might not so relevant because I'm not good enough to make the PRs anytime soon, but that's my two cents.

tl;dr no johns.

I can do what I can with the Greensboro tourneys to bring hype(we have a good venue and it's Melee-only and run super fast so we can have neat SIDE EVENTS to encourage people to come out and have something new!) I can't do it alone though. We all have to travel and contribute to discussions before things get to this point of frustration to continually improve the health of Melee in our state and our own level of ability and of course gather accurate representations of skill.
I'm looking forward to supporting these events in the future (i.e. next semester when I can drive myself places).

vZakat

Half Genie
ncsu's still happen?
lol I thought they were. Well, next Raleigh event then.

And as far as PRs go, play smash because it's fun. Play because you want to improve. Play because you want to take out PP and become the next best player in the country/world. If you're playing to be on the PRs your goals are way to small. Being PR'd never won a tourney for anyone. Skill did. If you won the tourney but still aren't PR'd, who cares? You're the one with the money. If you want to be a part of the political game of the PRs that's fine but don't come in here crying like a pansy ass because you think someone might think that you are slightly less skilled than someone else for a brief amount of time.

btw I never read what PP wrote. tl;dr.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
There was this really crazy person around 4 years ago telling you ******s how to have an objective process for seeding. Boy was he really of his rocker. I forget his name..............I THINK IT WAS..............

nope, i forget.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Glob dang you young ones and your Turbo Ratings. I remember when Smash Bros was about playing a video game, not manufacturing drama.

Top Bottom