• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

Shears

Smash Master
how did you manage to break your 64 controller?
We were doing a drunk smash race and everyone was a fascist so I tore it in half like a phone book to stand up against the oppression and display self sacrifice for freedom. Its basically the smash version of self immolation.

Olikus

Smash Champion
We were doing a drunk smash race and everyone was a fascist so I tore it in half like a phone book to stand up against the oppression and display self sacrifice for freedom. Its basically the smash version of self immolation.
Sweet. seems like I missed out this year of great smash moments. Its still hard to imagine though how you could break a controller with only your bear hands. ShearsHercules is your new nickname.

Shears

Smash Master
Sweet. seems like I missed out this year of great smash moments. Its still hard to imagine though how you could break a controller with only your bear hands. ShearsHercules is your new nickname.
There were plenty of people there to witness it happen haha. I tried doing it sober years ago and couldn't do it. But I guess while drunk I found my inner strength and managed to get it done.

tlo

Smash Rookie
I also ordered some of Derek's sticks from Lukie Games and they arrived today! I only installed one of them out of three, but I'm LOVING it so far. I second the posts talking about how the "up" register is very sensitive, so accidentally doing a jump while uairing is common right now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get used to the sensitivity though. Just the 15 minutes I played was fantastic though, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
I also ordered some of Derek's sticks from Lukie Games and they arrived today! I only installed one of them out of three, but I'm LOVING it so far. I second the posts talking about how the "up" register is very sensitive, so accidentally doing a jump while uairing is common right now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get used to the sensitivity though. Just the 15 minutes I played was fantastic though, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase.
I actually just got rid of my Derek stick controller. When I first got it I felt the same way. It was incredibly easy to pivot, dash dance, and generally made me feel like I was playing much faster. DI also seems to be much more responsive. But recently I feel like its been holding me back. If you feel you can adjust to the sensitivity than more power to you, I certainly couldn't. The threshold for doing tilts was way too sensitive. I play Falcon, so in the beginning the dash dance to grab was awesome, and you can get by without using any tilts. However, I would often run off the edge and kill myself, try to spike off the edge and do a fast fall and die, and would almost always burn my second jump trying to do up-air chains. Then playing any other character that required using tilts was absolutely impossible. Last night I played using a buddies original controller with a greased up stick, it took half the night to get used to, but by the end the difference was incredibly better. I was pulling off combos I thought it would take me months to get down. I should be getting the gamecube controller and adapter this week and I'll see how that feels, but as of now, I would recommend just finding an old decent stick, putting a rubber band in it, and greasing that son of a ***** to hell. But like I said if you can get used to the small tilt threshold I'm sure it'll be amazing, but after six months of having mine I couldn't do it.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I actually just got rid of my Derek stick controller. When I first got it I felt the same way. It was incredibly easy to pivot, dash dance, and generally made me feel like I was playing much faster. DI also seems to be much more responsive. But recently I feel like its been holding me back. If you feel you can adjust to the sensitivity than more power to you, I certainly couldn't. The threshold for doing tilts was way too sensitive. I play Falcon, so in the beginning the dash dance to grab was awesome, and you can get by without using any tilts. However, I would often run off the edge and kill myself, try to spike off the edge and do a fast fall and die, and would almost always burn my second jump trying to do up-air chains. Then playing any other character that required using tilts was absolutely impossible. Last night I played using a buddies original controller with a greased up stick, it took half the night to get used to, but by the end the difference was incredibly better. I was pulling off combos I thought it would take me months to get down. I should be getting the gamecube controller and adapter this week and I'll see how that feels, but as of now, I would recommend just finding an old decent stick, putting a rubber band in it, and greasing that son of a ***** to hell. But like I said if you can get used to the small tilt threshold I'm sure it'll be amazing, but after six months of having mine I couldn't do it.
To quote Star King,
The N64 Joystick detects values from 0 to 128. Most people, rather than tilting it to between an "Up" value of >20 (the minimum for an Uair to come out), instead smash the control stick up and press A on the way up when it's high enough to Uair (>20) but not high enough for a stick jump to yet occur (<53). In other words, not how people do tilts at all, since you're not tilting the control stick but smashing it with a specific timing of pressing A (and the timing is fairly strict because you are moving the stick up fast). It's not that easy and requires practice in order to build up the muscle memory for the timing and feel.
This is how I cope with the sensitivity.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
To quote Star King,

This is how I cope with the sensitivity.
I'm honestly not trying to sound like an idiot, and maybe it's because it's late and I'm tired........ But I really didn't understand that at all. All I know is the Derek stick worked a lot better compared to worn down POS, but an original stick felt way more natural

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
When doing something as difficult as a fast fall up air, it's entirely possible on the Derek stick even if you quickly tap the stick upwards when performing a ff uair. It's all a matter of timing your 'A' input when your stick is in a tilt range. It will input the command properly and allow you to ff uair without jumping, allowing you to "smash" your joystick to your leisure.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm interesting. I might have to test it out side by side with another controller and see if I can feel the difference. In any case, I think it's just personal preference, and I hope we all find and use what's best for us.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
For those on the fence about a Lodgenet conversion or if you're just curious about Lodgenet performance , both players on my stream right now (as of this posting, evening of 3/19) are using one. I will edit this post when the stream is over.

EDIT: check the 3/19 vod on my channel if you're curious:

twitch.tv/zrex_ssb

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I just revived my old floppy controller with the Derek stick, and the Raphnet adapter came in as well.

The adapter is great. Doesn't even feel like a single frame of lag, and it has fully customizable layouts. That's all there really is to say there. I'm more of a Melee player so it feels a lot more natural to me. JC shines are a bit trickier because of the controller layout, but it just takes a bit of practice to readjust.

The Derek stick on the other hand, I don't like. Even though the 2013 version is supposedly a lot better than it used to be, it's still extremely sensitive. It's tricky (but not impossible) to do tilts, and dashes start much earlier than I expect them to so that throws me off. I'll be sticking with my functional original stick controller and the adapter; my brother likes the new stick so I'll hold on to it. It's also really bad to use for games other than Smash (spin attacks in OoT are difficult, and F-Zero X is nearly impossible to play).

Lukiegames also sells OEM-style replacement sticks. Does anyone have any experience with those? And is it possible to modify the Derek stick sensitivity?

Last edited:

Olschoolgamer

Smash Rookie
I am new here and probably won't post much, but felt a need to get in on the N64 controller talk. I recently bought 4 gc style replacement sticks from lukiegames, the "Derek Stick". 1 was marked V3 on the back. The other 3 not, but had a QC/OK sticker on back which the V3 one didn't. I compared the 2 sticks and found no differences, however I am not playing Smash Bros, but Crusin USA. I recently bought the N64 and am slowly restoring it up. As far as how they feel, excellent. As far as how they control, not too good. Overly sensitive, hard to drive the damn car! I have 4 of Micro's N64 PCB's in the mail that should arrive sometime next week. Supposedly they fix the issues and make a gc stick control exactly like an N64 stick. When they arrive I will install them and give you guys the update. I will also try and see about testing them out on a different game, maybe Smash Bros. I chose Crusin USA because I remember it being fun when I was a kid, and wanted a game I thought would do a good job in testing the gc style sticks. Not a fun game though when a slight movement sends you over to the other side of the F'in road though........

Olschoolgamer

MCG

Smash Apprentice
The Derek stick on the other hand, I don't like. Even though the 2013 version is supposedly a lot better than it used to be, it's still extremely sensitive. It's tricky (but not impossible) to do tilts, and dashes start much earlier than I expect them to so that throws me off. I'll be sticking with my functional original stick controller and the adapter; my brother likes the new stick so I'll hold on to it. It's also really bad to use for games other than Smash (spin attacks in OoT are difficult, and F-Zero X is nearly impossible to play).
If you have calibrated your adapter with a OEM stick, you have to recalibrate for the Derek stick. I have one and while it's still sensitive, once calibrated in Windows, it's much more usable.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
If you have calibrated your adapter with a OEM stick, you have to recalibrate for the Derek stick. I have one and while it's still sensitive, once calibrated in Windows, it's much more usable.
I'm not using any sort of PC adapter. I was talking about the Gamecube-to-64 Raphnet adapter, completely separate thing.

Last edited:

FamiGrafx

Smash Rookie
I'm not much of a Smash 64 player, but I had some worthless N64 controllers I wanted to make usable again, so I got a couple of sticks at this thread's recommendation. You guys seem like you would be the most knowledgeable about this stuff. They're alright, but I think I'll keep my worn sticks and wait for Kitsch-Bent to restock on replacement joystick gears.
I ordered a couple of Derek sticks. One works fine, but the other one starts registering a slight tilt in one direction after a few minutes of play and I have to re-center it with L+R+Start/unplugging it. This was both on emulator (Mayflash adapter) and on console. So be wary of that possibility. I enjoyed playing with the other one just fine.
Lukiegames also sells OEM-style replacement sticks. Does anyone have any experience with those?
I got a couple of those too. They're of the Repair Box brand, not that the site specifies this. It feels like **** before you lube it but it's pretty nice after, imo. The only problem is that it's huge. I got more than a comfortable amount of resistance screwing my controller back together. Derek said a couple pages back that it cracked his controller.

sheepz

Smash Rookie
I often oil my n64 controller to stop it from wearing... but when the time comes, I go get a new one

ganas

Smash Cadet
Has anyone put a Derek stick into a 3rd-party N64 controller? I got one in a package deal with a console and am wondering if I should pick a stick up to make the controller more play-able for my friend who doesn't own a controller. I'm assuming it depends on the brand and build of the controller, I'll post a pic of mine later if need be.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone put a Derek stick into a 3rd-party N64 controller? I got one in a package deal with a console and am wondering if I should pick a stick up to make the controller more play-able for my friend who doesn't own a controller. I'm assuming it depends on the brand and build of the controller, I'll post a pic of mine later if need be.
I have a lot of third party controllers and kinda thought the same thing, the ones I've taken apart though all have different connections to their thumbstick than the original controller, so most likely it's not going to work. I will say, a third party controller is better than no controller and possibly better than an original with a **** stick.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
3rd party controllers have different PCB's and connections and ****. Don't even bother

ganas

Smash Cadet
3rd party controllers have different PCB's and connections and ****. Don't even bother
I have a lot of third party controllers and kinda thought the same thing, the ones I've taken apart though all have different connections to their thumbstick than the original controller, so most likely it's not going to work. I will say, a third party controller is better than no controller and possibly better than an original with a **** stick.
Okay. Thanks for the replies, guys.

FamiGrafx

Smash Rookie

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I am new here and probably won't post much, but felt a need to get in on the N64 controller talk. I recently bought 4 gc style replacement sticks from lukiegames, the "Derek Stick". 1 was marked V3 on the back. The other 3 not, but had a QC/OK sticker on back which the V3 one didn't. I compared the 2 sticks and found no differences, however I am not playing Smash Bros, but Crusin USA. I recently bought the N64 and am slowly restoring it up. As far as how they feel, excellent. As far as how they control, not too good. Overly sensitive, hard to drive the damn car! I have 4 of Micro's N64 PCB's in the mail that should arrive sometime next week. Supposedly they fix the issues and make a gc stick control exactly like an N64 stick. When they arrive I will install them and give you guys the update. I will also try and see about testing them out on a different game, maybe Smash Bros. I chose Crusin USA because I remember it being fun when I was a kid, and wanted a game I thought would do a good job in testing the gc style sticks. Not a fun game though when a slight movement sends you over to the other side of the F'in road though........

Olschoolgamer
interesting i haven't heard of this option. please keep us updated!

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all. Anybody know of the trick @ Dark Horse Dark Horse mentioned where you put a tiny little plastic or rubber band around the joystick? it's probably a pretty temporary solution, but it's incredibly effective for restoring that tight, non-wiggly, small dead zone, new joy stick feeling. The only problem is finding a small thing to rap around the stick that's the exact right size.

I tried it on one of my extra sticks and the only problem is I used a normal sized rubber band. I cut it down and glued it in place to make it fit but it's still got too much excess so now I have an extra stick that is perfect in the x axis but there's a little too much resistance going up and down. It's a very awkward combination.

Are there any competent draftsmen in here that can give me a reading on the exact size of o-ring/rubber band you'd need to fit perfectly around the joystick right below the nob that sits on the gear? Darkhorse mentioned a model kit he got his parts from but it's so weird and nerdy and cheap and weird you can only order it on amazon as part of a bigger order.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all. Anybody know of the trick @ Dark Horse Dark Horse mentioned where you put a tiny little plastic or rubber band around the joystick? it's probably a pretty temporary solution, but it's incredibly effective for restoring that tight, non-wiggly, small dead zone, new joy stick feeling. The only problem is finding a small thing to rap around the stick that's the exact right size.

I tried it on one of my extra sticks and the only problem is I used a normal sized rubber band. I cut it down and glued it in place to make it fit but it's still got too much excess so now I have an extra stick that is perfect in the x axis but there's a little too much resistance going up and down. It's a very awkward combination.

Are there any competent draftsmen in here that can give me a reading on the exact size of o-ring/rubber band you'd need to fit perfectly around the joystick right below the nob that sits on the gear? Darkhorse mentioned a model kit he got his parts from but it's so weird and nerdy and cheap and weird you can only order it on amazon as part of a bigger order.

Nah the model kit thing is a shock repair kit. Cost about $2.50 at my local shop. Don't do that though, it's kinda of a sucky half measure.

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
It's great for a couple months but that's it. Ld crushed us for months using a controller with a rubber band

I haven't checked, but I bet those rubber bands people use for braces would work. And I bet you can get a lot of them pretty cheap

Last edited by a moderator:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I already have kitsch bent gears and everything, they do nothing to make the stick tighter. All the wear is on the grey stick itself so once the nob is that worn down there's no more perfect solution other than "be lucky enough to find a good stick" and I've gotten burned now two different times trying to order "good sticks" on amazon or ebay.

Shears

Smash Master
Anyone here have braces and can verify the dimensions of those rubber bands?
@ The Star King The Star King @Maliki @ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA @Wizzrobe

They're all like 16 so at least one of them has to have braces.

At Xanadu just walk around the melee area until you find a kid with braces then beat him up and take his rubber bands. Their overbite won't kill them.

Last edited:

Olschoolgamer

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to let you everyone know, I haven't forgot about you guys! So, I finally received the n64 joystick modification pack earlier this week. I got one out of 4 working. This is my own issue, poor soldering skills combined with a thick chisel tip= all bad. I got desoldering braid to fix my mess ups, but won't fix the other 3 sticks till I got some extra free time. Rarely have time to play with friends especially, so this is pretty low priority. Anyways, now I'm rambling. However, I did do it right on the one controller and I'm winning races now! I have an everdrive 64 v3 on the way in a couple days, so I will test it on a variety of games. So far so good, but I won't put the stamp on it till further testing is done. I might buy one of those gamecube controller adapters because they have me curious. To those that do have one of those adapters, how well do they work? Is there sensitivity issues with the gamecube control stick when playing these n64 games? Anything dysfunctional that you can think of? I am willing to take requests on games to play. Maybe I will do a video or something, but to be honest all of my cameras are crap and it will look like it was filmed with a potato.

Olschoolgamer

Smash Rookie
Fixed my other 3 controllers. Couldn't help myself and didn't wanna do school reading. Gotta say guys, these kits are great so far. I get the everdrive 64 v3 tomorrow and will do extensive testing throughout the weekend. Something other than cruisin USA to play would be good. While I enjoy smash 64 and think its a great game, I really came here to find a good solution to the joysticks and hope that I can help. I can try out smash 64 for you guys, but I'm not awesome like you guys are at the game. I really wanna play Conker, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, maybe some Harvest Moon, Diddy Kong Racing, Starfox......I think I wanna play a bit of everything N64 was great

Olschoolgamer

Smash Rookie
Not enough posts to post a link yet but if you google n64 stick converter pcb v3 it should come up.

His name is Micro and lives somewhere in Europe. He was taking orders for a second batch but orders have since closed on April 4th. I should have told you guys sooner but didn't wanna say anything till I installed and tried for myself first. Pester him kindly and I'm sure you guys can get ahold of some the next pcb run. You need to be able to solder, it's not that hard and I have the most shaky hands ever. I bought 4 from him. In no way am I affiliated with him or received any compensation. I stumbled across his work while looking for a suitable N64 joystick fix, which is also how I found this message board and wound up posting here! Again I will post and give my further impressions and full recap soon!

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Not enough posts to post a link yet but if you google n64 stick converter pcb v3 it should come up.

His name is Micro and lives somewhere in Europe. He was taking orders for a second batch but orders have since closed on April 4th. I should have told you guys sooner but didn't wanna say anything till I installed and tried for myself first. Pester him kindly and I'm sure you guys can get ahold of some the next pcb run. You need to be able to solder, it's not that hard and I have the most shaky hands ever. I bought 4 from him. In no way am I affiliated with him or received any compensation. I stumbled across his work while looking for a suitable N64 joystick fix, which is also how I found this message board and wound up posting here! Again I will post and give my further impressions and full recap soon!
I just had a look at this and I'm very tempted to try it. The soldering doesn't look so hard and the documentation is pretty clear.

When you order from him, do you get the PCB + potentiometer or is the GC stick also included? I already have one (GC stick) and I'd buy another one to compare. EDIT: Ok i just saw that you have to buy the GC stick separately.

I'm also interested in your review. Have you used any of the optional features? Do you have to calibrate the stick often? Is the extended range mode really necessary?

Because honestly, 10$ for the GC stick + shipping, 15$ for the PCB and potentiometer + shipping and 5-10mins of soldering for a durable stick is a very good deal. I'll try to contact the guy, thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom