• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I got a GC to 64 raphnet adapter. Aside from some problems about deadzone (I think it's like 10-15%, not my beloved 7% </3) it's amazing, i could play much better and faster than what i did with a 64 controller.

JoGooD

Smash Rookie
Who are the best replacement sticks sellers ?

I've heard of luckigames, do you think original and gc style sticks work great ?

Thanks

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I got a GC to 64 raphnet adapter. Aside from some problems about deadzone (I think it's like 10-15%, not my beloved 7% </3) it's amazing, i could play much better and faster than what i did with a 64 controller.
I want to know if these are tournament legal. I'm interested in these if they are because I would like to use my GCN controller for everything.

ganas

Smash Cadet
I'm interested in maybe doing this... What button do you use for jumping (surely not the C stick)? And how would you do custom button mapping in-game?

edit: nvm, i see the mapping deal now.

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I'm interested in maybe doing this... What button do you use for jumping (surely not the C stick)? And how would you do custom button mapping in-game?

edit: nvm, i see the mapping deal now.
I have a Melee cfg, Grab with Z, Shield with R, YX for Jumping, A B and thats it.

i also have my Start in the L button to not **** myself hahahahaha

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
all adapters are legal
Well it looks like I'll be dropping $50+ on the game for the Nintendo 64 and another 30-35 bucks on an adapter. I wanna start playing 64. I have been playing Smash4, and to be honest, I think I want to go back and play 64 as well as Melee.

Gaylude

Smash Rookie
I apologize for what I'm about to say, but I haven't searched this thread entirely to see if anybody else has addressed this question:

Are there N64 Controllers with gamecube plugs?

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I apologize for what I'm about to say, but I haven't searched this thread entirely to see if anybody else has addressed this question:

Are there N64 Controllers with gamecube plugs?
Not that i know, only adapters (There is a GC to 64 and a 64 to GC adapter from Raphnet)

Gaylude

Smash Rookie
Boo. I can't seem to find a minimalistic one. I saw pictures of a slim-design which is the only thing I would pay money for, but google searches are only yielding big, blockly converter boxes

Mr. Wang

Smash Cadet
NNID
beards101
I've searched as best I can for opinions on what is the best way to go when replacing controllers but all the answers are convoluted and unnecessarily difficult to sort out. My original N64 controllers are breaking and the sticks are making it very difficult to get the right moves off.

What are all the serious players using to play on the console or emulator? There must be some solution I'm missing as getting original controllers is expensive as are the mobi controllers that I've seen mentioned. I've ordered two different styles of n64 controller stick replacements for my controllers, and I am hoping that they control well. It seems this community should really have a definitive thread for the best controller information.

Please help guide me to the most elegant solution, as I'm sure somebody has figured out a great way to keep up this hobby for a reasonable price.
I use a hori pad mini and it works really well

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Instead of giving prize money to the 64 community at this smash con, can we just all pool the money and buy a 3-D printer to replicate new thumb sticks until Nintendo and the ATF come busting down our door?

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Last night a couple of us got together and one guy brought a GameCube and a GC to N64 adapter. I played with it and it felt really natural and comfortable. I was just wondering if anyone has it, and if it has any input lag when playing.

Shears

Smash Master
Last night a couple of us got together and one guy brought a GameCube and a GC to N64 adapter. I played with it and it felt really natural and comfortable. I was just wondering if anyone has it, and if it has any input lag when playing.
I have two. They feel great and are very comfortable. Honestly if 64 controllers die out, this is not a bad alternative at all. However, and I could be wrong on this and I'm not sure how to test it, but I feel there may be a frame of lag.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I feel like there's a frame of lag too, but it's really hard to tell if it's just me or if I'm just not used to the GC controller (long finger travel between jump and B, analog shoulder buttons, etc)

I don't think anyone's tested it rigorously.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
I have two. They feel great and are very comfortable. Honestly if 64 controllers die out, this is not a bad alternative at all. However, and I could be wrong on this and I'm not sure how to test it, but I feel there may be a frame of lag.
I feel like there's a frame of lag too, but it's really hard to tell if it's just me or if I'm just not used to the GC controller (long finger travel between jump and B, analog shoulder buttons, etc)

I don't think anyone's tested it rigorously.
Thanks guys, I guess if it's possibly just one frame I can live with it. Just wanted to make sure before I went and bought one tonight. Seems like a little bit more reliable way to go then to gamble on a used N64 controller or Hori.

Shears

Smash Master
Thanks guys, I guess if it's possibly just one frame I can live with it. Just wanted to make sure before I went and bought one tonight. Seems like a little bit more reliable way to go then to gamble on a used N64 controller or Hori.
Yeah we have people that use that at Xanadu, granted their melee players but they have never noticed any delay or anything. In fact, many play 64 on the VC and said using the adapter feels like they are playing on the VC and notice no difference. This proves either that the adapter has no delay, the VC has a delay, or melee kids can't notice 1 frame.

I've personally considered making a switch to the GC adapter instead of using and finding 64 controllers everywhere

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
3D printing is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of reproducing something that is 2D (ink on paper), you reproduce a 3-dimensional object made of some sort of plastic material. It's essentially automatic manufacturing.
Any color too!

Bassic

Smash Apprentice
For greasing, can I use Industrial White Grease? I've heard white lithium grease is good for controllers, but I have this grease already at my house and don't wanna spend more money if I can just use this. It's from sprayway, here's the link to what the bottle looks like: http://www.spraywayinc.com/sites/all/themes/theme687/techsheets/sw715_techsheet.pdf

Let me know, thanks guys. And tag me if you can in your response.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got my own N64 (and it's actually the exact system I sold over ten years ago). It's primarily gonna be used for Smash, but the issue right now is that we don't have any viable controllers.

Our first party controller has a completely destroyed stick, so I want to replace it. I was reading through the past ten pages of this thread but I'm not sure if there's been any consensus. What would be the best replacement stick for Smash? I don't really care if it's classic or GC-styled, as long as it works well.

I ordered a Raphnet GC adapter for myself, I'll post my own review when it comes in.

I also have a couple of these weird things: http://www.amazon.com/Madcatz-MOV55326-N64-Advanced-Control-Pad/dp/B00008KTXO
When I dusted these off, I was horrified to see the MadCatz logo, but these things are actually working surprisingly well for other games (my roommate has Smash and he's selling it to me after spring break, so I haven't had a chance to try them with it yet). Does anyone have any experience with these?

tehz

Smash Apprentice
if you don't really care, just buy a "Derek Stick" (the GC style sticks that have been made later than like 2013)

all third party controllers that aren't Hori Pads are probably trash.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
if you don't really care, just buy a "Derek Stick" (the GC style sticks that have been made later than like 2013)
Sounds good. I just ordered one. I'll post my own feedback on it and the adapter when everything comes in.

SamuraiMegas

Smash Rookie
Anyone know how to set up the smash 4 adapter for project 64? I don't like using a Xbox controller.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
.......... But which one did you mean? Lol if you have a GameCube controller, I know there is a direct adapter to use to play on PC, it also wouldn't surprise me if a wii u controller to PC exists, but I wouldn't know one way or another. And if you do mean plugging in the actual adapter for the GameCube controller for wii u into a computer, again I don't know. Does that have a built in USB plug? If so I imagine it's possible in some way, if not, then you might as well go and just buy the proper adapter.

Shears

Smash Master
For GC controller just get GC to usb adapter. For any wii/wiiu wireless controllers I'm pretty sure they're just bluetooth so connect via bluetooth to them and then map buttons in emulator.

SamuraiMegas

Smash Rookie
.......... But which one did you mean? Lol if you have a GameCube controller, I know there is a direct adapter to use to play on PC, it also wouldn't surprise me if a wii u controller to PC exists, but I wouldn't know one way or another. And if you do mean plugging in the actual adapter for the GameCube controller for wii u into a computer, again I don't know. Does that have a built in USB plug? If so I imagine it's possible in some way, if not, then you might as well go and just buy the proper adapter.
I mean the USB adapter Nintendo released that allowed you to use use a GameCube controller on Wii u.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
lol asking the poor 64 boards about new technology probably isn't the best strategy.

I guess install some drivers:
http://m4sv.com/page/wii-u-gcn-usb-driver
^These always get posted on the subreddit, so I assume they're not awful.

Then, just select the device in the PJ64 input screen and set the up the controls as normal?

Olikus

Smash Champion
Not only do none of us own GameCube controllers, but we don't even know what the hell a Wii U looks like. If it has usb then it works if you have a driver for it.
how did you manage to break your 64 controller?

Top Bottom