• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

Compatible

Smash Cadet
***The first issue with the Derek stick.***

Hope everyone is having a happy new year so far. I spent break at the girlfriends and played some mario party with her family. For whatever reason, after mindlessly destroying the thing through stupid mini games, the stick "popped up" out of place. I was able to push it back down into place and it worked perfectly again. The stick functions when it is "popped out" however it can get stuck in a direction/corner (how I noticed it in the first place). These sticks have what a button press if you pushing down on, and the "pop up" is the same.

Important Note: I haven't experienced this while playing SSB and couldn't recreate it with constantly doing slide-DI. I was able to pull to make it "pop out" again, but it required a good amount of force. My opinion is that I don't think this will be a concern, but wanted to make everyone aware.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
How'd they work for you Marbles?
ok so i got the sticks a few weeks ago and here is what i have gotten so far
PROS:
-problems with the older version of this stick seem to be fixed (pivoting is easy, inputs are not missed), although idk about the skipping steps issue
-strong and GUILT FREE di
-stick is tight and responsive, feels smooth

CONS:
-Dead zone seems to be slightly larger? i can't tell for sure but i seem to nair sometimes when trying to uair and jab when i'm tring to tilt. Overall this is a small issue and only happens occasionally
-Tilt window is TINY. like to u-tilt without stick jumping i have to tilt the stick sooooo little. feels like 10 degrees or less. Also in order to buffer the stick up for an uptilt (this is how i always utilt on my regular controller, by pushing up all the way on the stick, but slow enough that it doesnt cause stick jump) you have to move the stick up SO SLOW in order to prevent a stick jump. This problem also makes it difficult for falling uairs. For instance running off a platform and performing a quick air w/o jumping has been incredibly difficult for me even with a good amount of practice.

Conclusion: This stick seems like a decent option to me for people who are sick of the n64 stick ESPECIALLY if you are a beginner/new to competitive play. However if you are like me and SUPER used to the way the n64 stick feels this could be a rough transition. I've spent quite a bit of time with this stick and it still just feels all wrong. IDK if i will be able to adjust to the TINY amount of push that tilts/ uairs require and it has been a lot of frustration. If they could fix this one issue with the stick then it would be PERFECT

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I want to donate one of the N64 controllers that I lubricated with ceramic grease to Isai to get his opinion on how it performs. Anybody know how I can get in touch with him?

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
I just bought a gearbox stick and tried installing it last night and when I went to reassemble the controller it wouldn't come together properly. I thought I remember reading somewhere that you have to shave some part of the stick or the controller shell but I can't remember. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
Gear box or repair box? Repair box sticks cracked my last controller cause it was too big an the analog sucked in general

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
Last night I hollowed out a LodgeNet (hotel controller) housing to accept an OEM controller's PCB+cord. I definitely need to test more, but I was able to play ten very impressive minutes against CPUs before bed. Buttons still feel funny. If anyone has questions about this mod (I'm calling it the Hotel Hori), I can offer first-hand insight.

I will make an edit or follow-up post with more detail on my experience. In the meantime, does anyone know offhand if the joystick box in the LN will fit 1:1 onto a Hori PCB?

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
Last night I hollowed out a LodgeNet (hotel controller) housing to accept an OEM controller's PCB+cord. I definitely need to test more, but I was able to play ten very impressive minutes against CPUs before bed. Buttons still feel funny. If anyone has questions about this mod (I'm calling it the Hotel Hori), I can offer first-hand insight.

I will make an edit or follow-up post with more detail on my experience. In the meantime, does anyone know offhand if the joystick box in the LN will fit 1:1 onto a Hori PCB?
The Lodgenet controller conversion works pretty well for SSB. I do find the Lodgenet's OEM joystick box to be a little too loose for my liking, though. The joystick cap also fits kind of lose on top of the shaft, so it's not incredibly tight. After a recommendation, I ended up replacing the joystick box with something that had a larger shaft, which made the stick's top fit much better. What's nice about the Lodgenet controller is that the restrictor gate is quite wide, unlike all the replacement sticks out there. I can't stand how small there gates are. It makes doing tilts very hard, and I end up stick-jumping by accident.

Also, yes, the Lodgenet and Hori pad do appear to share the same joystick box (they both use HORI chipsets). See Sani's post here.

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
They have a bigger deadzone than original sticks and the other replacement sticks out there. That's the biggest con. Harder to do short hop up airs and some other stuff. It actually makes Pika's recovery incredibly hard to use. They seem to be very durable though.

I thought they were a perfectly acceptable replacement for about a month, until one day I randomly decided to use Pikachu and couldn't recover. That pissed me off and I switched back to my other stick after that.

So I kind of take back my recommendation of them earlier in the thread. They seem fine in most cases, but don't buy them if you play a lot of Pikachu.
CAN YOU REPLACE THE SMALL CHIP (THAT CONNECTS TO THE CONTROLLER MOTHERBOARD) INSIDE THE STICK WITH AN ORIGINAL N64 CONTROLLER CHIP? IF YES, THEN I WILL BUY. Try doing Pika's recovery after you put in the original n64 chip in there... POST RESULTS PL0X

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
@Zeds Can you direct me to that replacement stick that you showed me?

To everyone else, would you recommend the raphnet adapter? This one
I have a friend who plays PM/Melee so maybe I can get him to play 64 if I get a raphnet adapter. It wouldn't go to waste 'cause I can still utilize it.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
The Lodgenet controller conversion works pretty well for SSB. I do find the Lodgenet's OEM joystick box to be a little too loose for my liking, though. The joystick cap also fits kind of lose on top of the shaft, so it's not incredibly tight. After a recommendation, I ended up replacing the joystick box with something that had a larger shaft, which made the stick's top fit much better.
What's nice about the Lodgenet controller is that the restrictor gate is quite wide, unlike all the replacement sticks out there. I can't stand how small there gates are. It makes doing tilts very hard, and I end up stick-jumping by accident.

Also, yes, the Lodgenet and Hori pad do appear to share the same joystick box (they both use HORI chipsets). See Sani's post here.

That's funny, my Hori is loose as baIIs compared to the Lodgenet. No resistance at all. That' why I asked if the boxes were similar. Tilts feel MUCH easier on the LN, and the big gate as you mention is a welcome design change.

For that replacement joystick are you refering to the now-obsolete Digi-key, part# 252A103B60NA-ND? Would you happen to have an extra you'd sell me? lol

ThaiFlowsion

Smash Rookie
I've searched as best I can for opinions on what is the best way to go when replacing controllers but all the answers are convoluted and unnecessarily difficult to sort out. My original N64 controllers are breaking and the sticks are making it very difficult to get the right moves off.

What are all the serious players using to play on the console or emulator? There must be some solution I'm missing as getting original controllers is expensive as are the mobi controllers that I've seen mentioned. I've ordered two different styles of n64 controller stick replacements for my controllers, and I am hoping that they control well. It seems this community should really have a definitive thread for the best controller information.

Please help guide me to the most elegant solution, as I'm sure somebody has figured out a great way to keep up this hobby for a reasonable price.

-Order a Makopad64 or a Superpad64, Order a GameCube stick and replace the old one if loose. (Emu & Console)
-Buy a Hori64 controller, not cheap but durable. (console only input config will not work on emulators)
-Buy original sticks off eBay, replace loose ones and use grease.
-Buy a converter for your GameCube controllers to N64 for console. Raph Net-Tech Dot Com
It really just depends on your preference and amount you're willing to spend.

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
Can I get a couple of personal reviews on this replacement stick?

I don't know if this is the "Derek" stick or not but I hope someone here has used this one.
http://www.lukiegames.com/n64-replacement-thumbstick.html
I like the feel of these sticks, easy to replace too

I also just bought the gears that Fireblaster recommends earlier in this thread and will try repairing more old n64 controllers I have lying around.

Can anyone recommend good lubricant for original sticks?

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice

I don't know if this is the "Derek" stick or not but I hope someone here has used this one.
That's the one I use, pretty sure its the "Derek" stick or gamecube style stick. I love it. It takes some getting used to couple hours or day or two, especially tilts, fast falling, up airs without using your second jump, but its sturdy and responds well.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
-Order a Makopad64 or a Superpad64, Order a GameCube stick and replace the old one if loose. (Emu & Console)
-Buy a Hori64 controller, not cheap but durable. (console only input config will not work on emulators)
-Buy original sticks off eBay, replace loose ones and use grease.
-Buy a converter for your GameCube controllers to N64 for console. Raph Net-Tech Dot Com
It really just depends on your preference and amount you're willing to spend.
hori's work with raphnet n64-->usb adapters

that specific one is not a DEREK stick and thus LAGS/has delay/is not something you should willingly buy

I like the feel of these sticks, easy to replace too

I also just bought the gears that Fireblaster recommends earlier in this thread and will try repairing more old n64 controllers I have lying around.

@Fireblaster @SuPeRbOoM (afaik) and myself all use this RED LABEL one (i've greased some squeaky door hinges in my home with this, and cuz used for food machines, less worries about pets/children lol)

http://www.yocupco.com/other/taylor-lube.html

though when considering something you can use outside of n64 controller, most auto parts stores commonly have one of these that is way op for car grease fittings as well

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oEX0TRtiL._SX342_.jpg

http://www.gemplers.com/img/valvoline-crimson-grease-198556-lrg.jpg

http://www.gemplers.com/img/valvoline-cerulean-grease-198557-lrg.jpg

Last edited:

BananaBolts

Indefa

Smash Apprentice

I'm defiantly interested in a follow up of this, I've been considering getting a LN controller just for the stick but haven't actually tried it out. My hori is great but slightly more resistance on the stick would make it perfect.

Last edited:

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
Tamiya Ceramic Grease: http://amzn.com/B001Q1AW64
PRO: Long lasting, works great, not messy
CON: Long-ish shipping time from Japan, have to open thumbstick box to apply

Trinity EPIC Turbo Drops (or equivalent): http://amzn.com/B0006O5SLG
PRO: Easy to apply (just a drop or two in the thumbstick well), wicks into the nooks & crannies, easy to find at RC hobby shops
CON: Not explicitly for plastic-on-plastic, won't lubricate all moving parts, messier

I'm defiantly interested in a follow up of this, I've been considering getting a LN controller just for the stick for the stick but haven't actually tried it out. My hori is great but slightly more resistance on the stick would make it perfect.
I had a chance to play (and let others play) with the LN at our weekly and results were positive. Big takeaway was that the joystick boxes are essentially identical in function and accuracy. The LN is marginally springier, but a direct comparison is hard because 1) the sticks themselves are different shapes/textures and 2) The LN has a wider range of motion due to its skinnier thumbstick shaft:

That extra ~3.5mm gives the LN stick a slight advantage. I don't know if deadzone or ranges are calibrated differently, but the consensus was that sensitive movements (like tilts) felt easier on the LN.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
Awesome information thanks, now i'm quite keen to try a LN stick. Looking online at how to go about installing one seems super daunting though.

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
That's funny, my Hori is loose as baIIs compared to the Lodgenet. No resistance at all. That' why I asked if the boxes were similar. Tilts feel MUCH easier on the LN, and the big gate as you mention is a welcome design change.

For that replacement joystick are you refering to the now-obsolete Digi-key, part# 252A103B60NA-ND? Would you happen to have an extra you'd sell me? lol
How the Lodgenet's OEM thumbstick cap fits is really the main issue for me. The thumbstick cap on my Hori pad is quite tight. I don't feel any play at all in it (not talking about the actual joystick box here--separate issue), whereas the Lodgenet cap is way looser. If you open a Lodgenet controller up, the thumbstick cap should just slide right off the joystick's shaft easily. They should have made the cap fit the shaft better.

Yes, that is the Digikey part I have mentioned on here before. Too bad it's not made anymore. The shaft diameter is a tad larger then the OEM's shaft, so it makes the thumbstick cap fit much better, in my opinion. I only bought three of these joystick boxes as I was not sure what to expect from them. They turned out to be a nice substitute, though. Wish I'd gotten more. So far, they are the nicest metal joystick boxes I have comes across. They were not overly tight at the neutral position, which makes doing tilts much easier. For comparison, the PDP Fight Pad and Hori Gamecube controllers have metal stick boxes that I am not at all a fan of.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Think I'm gonna start selling off some of my extra N64 controllers that I don't use any more.

I've taken almost all of these apart to wash the shells and lubricate the sticks with ceramic grease.

BananaBolts

Think I'm gonna start selling off some of my extra N64 controllers that I don't use any more.

I've taken almost all of these apart to wash the shells and lubricate the sticks with ceramic grease.
YO!!! Can you save 2 for me? I'll pay you well, assuming these are good sticks.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
YO!!! Can you save 2 for me? I'll pay you well, assuming these are good sticks.
Sure. In fact, I'm thinking about bringing some controllers up with me when I attend Xanadu during the summer. Maybe you can meet me there to test out the sticks before you buy.

BananaBolts

Sure. In fact, I'm thinking about bringing some controllers up with me when I attend Xanadu during the summer. Maybe you can meet me there to test out the sticks before you buy.
I live in TN so I doubt that I can make that trip. I can take your word for it or have someone vouch for you. I could pay for shipping too if it's necessary.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I live in TN so I doubt that I can make that trip. I can take your word for it or have someone vouch for you. I could pay for shipping too if it's necessary.
What part of Tennessee are you in? I'm practically your neighbor here in North Carolina. I sometimes visit my friend in the eastern part of TN so if you don't live too far from Elizabethton maybe we can meet around there.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I actually just bought one from Amazon in anticipation of the new batch of GC PCB that micro's going to have ready at the end of the month. On the underside of the stick house, there's a big fat "V3"

So, does that mean there's three different versions of the stick? Why don't they actually use a decent sized potentiometer? Who knows, who cares.

charlocharlie

Smash Cadet
NNID
charlocharlie
I wouldn't trust any seller besides lukiegames for the "new revised improved 'derek stick'". The V3 on the bottom sounds interesting. I have the lukiegames 'derek stick' the only marking on the bottom is this:

BananaBolts

I just ordered 2 derek sticks from lukiegames.

Should I expect to do any slight modifications to make things fit correctly?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I just ordered 2 derek sticks from lukiegames.

Should I expect to do any slight modifications to make things fit correctly?
nope its meant to fit an n64 controller. all u have to do is unscrew your controller take the old stick out and put the new one in

Top Bottom