• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on why Advance Techniques were removed....

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
ok. well if its not a glitch. then what is an 'interference to Sakurais vision' better refferd to as? I was referring to the quote Retrorythm gave. no offense to those who dont like WD being referred to as a glitch. its just my opinion that it was not intended. but its here and evreyones gotta use it to stay up. not much i can do at this point, other than post on the board of 'why the AT techniques have been removed'.
I only predict WD is the big problem that will be handled immideately. I think Lcancel, DD and some of the other techniques arnt as big of a problem as WD.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
wow you worded that well. Im glad im not the only person who thinks some of the ATs is unnatural looking. fingers crossed for balence.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
Second, what if they did make intentional in Brawl? Would you feel better that it is intentional? What if Sakurai officially anounces that wavedashing was meant to be used the way it was would you feel the same way? Why does it matter what was intentional are not? Gameplay > programmer "intentions" (intentions in quotes because not only do we not really know all of what the programmers intended, we cannot successfully reproduce what Sakurai envisioned for stuff like character balance, how to play your character, how to beat comps, etc.)

Im not sure if im using this quote thing right but here goes.
if you were a designer and your intention was to make a game that has 20+ char , each with his own move life, animation , etc etc. do you think you would want a skill (ie WD) that seperate these charecters? would you want all those man hours on desinging balence and Full animation cylces to be shortend by one skill? thats bad craft. as we have seen WD isnt just one thing, it creates much more than that. sure its fun for some charecters, and hey some ppl like to play this way. anyway it can be argued that it sets up for bland playing and even less replayablity if its way overdone. anybody play Mario Kart Online and win? without snaking? I dont think Sakurai wants to fall into that you lose the fun of the game a bit more that way. Halo is another example, they fixed alot of bugs in that one as well.
I think the orignal intent of a designer is to create balence in his world. So, i guess a question is, do we agree that WD is a balenced well thought out and executed thing for all chars? Id vote no.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
Melle is the reason why Brawl is comin out though....the reason for the discussion, the reason why they are changing the games style from Melle to Brawl. perhaps im out of context to your reply Lavis, but Brawl is the next step toward a more balenced Smash as a whole. right?

NG7

Smash Lord
Aceleeon you can use the edit button on a post you've made to add, delete, or change text in it and save those changes afterwards.

If you want to say more use the edit button. Instead of posting again - it saves space. Multiple posts in a row is against the rules and can get you into trouble.

On topic, I'm not convinced that Advanced Techniques are being removed on purpose at all. Honestly I don't know how you can believe that they're aware of our competitive scene and how we play - our numbers are microscopic among the people who will be buying this game.

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
you got a point. there will be new things to ***** about later. I think the big boys are good cause they master the moves Given to them to a T, i dont think a good smash player (aka Big boy) is nessesarily (sp?) the one who can WD with a adventagous player. I think thats just a smart player.
what do you think?

woops hehe thanks NG7.
this is true. we are really upper teir. However I know that in Japan tourney players are sought out cause the game companies are lookin for testers for the next one. to fix balences and improve its game play. on a buisness stand point this would b a good move, cause it shows that they (Nintendo) is taking their time to create a great game, to keep it fresh. AT is great. the only problem i have is WD, I consider this a glitch.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Oh for the love of-

Look people, I am not about to get into a 15 hour debate over something as trivial as misintrepretation over a sentence...

So I will explain it for the guy, seeing as how he isn't on to do it himself.

Now listen:

"interfered" basically means that the basic flow of the games combat and dodge system has been "interupted" with these AT's. They were not covered by the manual or how to play video because they are ******* children of the flaws found in the far-from-perfect physics system. The metagame Sakurai laid out soon had these "exploits" interferring with the norm. Because of how AT's were found out, and the fact that they were never intended for the raw metagame, Sakurai could get away with removing the AT's and/or altering them so they could be included in the base metagame, erego, they are not gamebreaking flaws, just extra stuff.

He also said "try," not that he will succeed.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
. . . . .the character balance was actually better with wavedashing. Again, like Dylan said over and over again. You can say that about anything. Different jumps, hitbox sizes, and stuff all have to do with balance. If it was intentional, it wouldn't matter to you it would seem, but now that you think it is not intentional, it could not be in anyway. Wavedashing is not snaking which that technique automatically makes you win. Melee is a bunch of techs that you have to use at the right time (l cancelling is probably the only exception as you always want to l cancel when doing an arial) and something like wavedashing is not that big of a technique except to some characters (Luigi, Fox, Mewtwo, ICs, Mario/Doc, and Samus. Some of who I metioned don't really need it but use it for combos or use it because it is much better than some of their other spacing options while Luigi Mewtwo and ICs need it to approach and space.). Wavedashing for most characters have to be used at the right time and stuff and it is not the only thing. He could of easily made it part of Brawl's play but he didn't so whatever.

Exploits will be in the next game. Anyone thinking there won't be is pretty naive to competitive videogaming.

Edit: How do people know what Sakurai's metagame that he planned out? Please enlighten me on how you know Sakurai's thoughts when making this game for balance and overall play of the metagame. Was upthrow to rest intended? How do the heck do I or you know anything about what he intended? For god's sakes, please do not act like you know what Sakurai planned for this game at his supposed highest level of play.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
This is a flamming Troll topic! Nintendo doesnt want their games to suck!!!
Obviously they have something else in mind. And Yes Theres gonna be more advanced tecniques
in brawl then in Melee. So its the exact opposite of what you said!

You sicken me, someone close this topic

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Exploits will be in the next game. Anyone thinking there won't be is pretty naive to competitive videogaming.

Edit: How do people know what Sakurai's metagame that he planned out? Please enlighten me on how you know Sakurai's thoughts when making this game for balance and overall play of the metagame. Was upthrow to rest intended? How do the heck do I or you know anything about what he intended? For god's sakes, please do not act like you know what Sakurai planned for this game at his supposed highest level of play.
What did I tell you? I am not about to get in a lengthy debate over this.

I did not say they would not be, nor did the sentence that I quoted. It would help to read where he said "try," and not that he "will."

I know what Sakurai's metagame image looks like simply from common sense. How to Play video makes it preety simple. As for upthrow to rest? Yes, for they were moves that were actually mentioned in the How to Play video, (and by "they" I am referring to both the basic throw and B move variants.)

NES n00b

Smash Master
lol, Bowser didn't meteor cancel in that vid nor did he tech. Oh noes. They are not in the instruction booklet either. Therefore, they were not meant to be in the game. Are you sure that Sakurai ever intended for upthrow to rest to work on Fox? What about dash attack to fsmash? I am not sure. I am not going around claiming I know what Sakurai intended and that his perfect vision of this game is being ruined

No wait, nevermind. I know exactly how everything was intended. We were only suppose to use dash attack to approach, 2 min mode (it is the default option and will always come up) to play with, and no one should link jabs to a stronger move (only press a, no smashes after the standard combo). No, I understand everything through how to play and the manual because both showing the basics of the game perfectly explains how the whole game is supposed to be played at the highest level possible of what Sakurai intended.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
lol, Bowser didn't meteor cancel in that vid nor did he tech. Oh noes. They are not in the instruction booklet either. Therefore, they were not meant to be in the game. Are you sure that Sakurai ever intended for upthrow to rest to work on Fox? What about dash attack to fsmash? I am not sure. I am not going around claiming I know what Sakurai intended and that his perfect vision of this game is being ruined

No, I understand everything through how to play and the manual because both showing the basics of the game perfectly explains how the whole game is supposed to be played at the highest level possible of what Sakurai intended.
"Even if you're sent flying, DON'T GIVE UP! There are many techniques to help you survive!"

Seeing as how computers can meteor cancel, and that it awards you for doing so in the game, it was intended, just not addressed specifically. It is however, addressed with that exact quote from the melee how to play video.

It addresses the basics and the fundamental workings of what Sakurai intended, of COURSE he is not going to explain everything in the video...

Now you are just being obnoxious.

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice
lavis you just got owned. i would stop arguing too if i was you.

whoever said that the game was created with balance in mind is wrong.

I refuse to believe that characters like Pichu were made that horrible on purpose. There is no way Sakurai looked at Sheik and then looked at Pichu and said to himself "Yes I do believe Pichu stands a chance".

edit - lol lavis. computers wavedash. you don't get awards for doing an upthrow to a rest.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Fact is we already got like at least 6 new ATs, 95% of them back, etc. We will exploit things, and we'll use many unbalanced, cheap, and stupid glitches like we used L-cancelling, teching, wavedashing, and mindgames, BECAUSE WE ARE HAXXORS! ZOMFG!

:laugh:

And Pichu and Mewtwo are odd cases. Play with them with items, and you'll see that Sakurai thought items were meant to be played at high levels...but obvious lack of SSB64's awsome itemness skills, explosive crates and barells, etc. destroyed that cause. Mewtwo and Pichu are almost completely reliant on items, and even somewat most, if not all the bottom tiers.

NES n00b

Smash Master
lavis you just got owned. i would stop arguing too if i was you.

whoever said that the game was created with balance in mind is wrong.

I refuse to believe that characters like Pichu were made that horrible on purpose. There is no way Sakurai looked at Sheik and then looked at Pichu and said to himself "Yes I do believe Pichu stands a chance".
Yeah. . . . .Pichu is suppose to be a "challenge" character who is meant to run around and pick up items. This is in one of his trophies. Fox in one of his trophies says he is suppose to be really good in singles. This game was not really meant for balance. <_<

The point Lavis is you and I don't know what he intended even if there is something that teaches "the basics" of SSBM. I can infer that some combos and techs were intended, but no one could possibly know what Sakurai intended in terms of how characters were supposed to be played at the highest level. IMO, I think he made character movesets that seemed cool to him and then made it so that the game would be that badly imbalanced with DI and other such fail safes. I don't think they had 1 vs 1 in mind when they made this game.

Edit: LOL, you beat me to it John. I wonder now if the Mewtwo trophy mentions the beam sword as one of Mewtwo's strengths because I think he did.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
Now I've realised that some of the advanced techs from melee are being removed (L-cancel and wavedashing). Back in the day of melee these were all fun and good, they increased the gap between 1337 and /\/008. They separated man from boy.
However, with nintendo trying to bring in non gamers and the oline aspect of the game, I think the big N wants to make the learning curve more leiniant(sp?). Think about it, if WD and L cancel were in, 1337 players would abuse them online and just pwn noobs to an unfair extent.
Online would not be fun if you didnt learn these techs, and might take away from the game for some players.
please discuss

and btw i dont think you need to use WD to be good or that u suck if u dont (i personally dont) and i also dont think that noobs should be given special treatment.
Well, you have to keep in mind, that this is a COMPLETELY NEW GAME. Right? New physics engine, new graphics engine, new lots of things. They didn't purposely remove these techs. :p

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
They were removed because they were unintended exploits, and because they most likely wanted to make the game more simply accessible to anyone and everyone. That's basically the truth. If people have a hard time getting over losing their precious wavedashing, they should either get a girlfriend, or they could stick to Melee for the rest of their life. I'm gonna enjoy me some Brawlz.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
"Even if you're sent flying, DON'T GIVE UP! There are many techniques to help you survive!"

Seeing as how computers can meteor cancel, and that it awards you for doing so in the game, it was intended, just not addressed specifically. It is however, addressed with that exact quote from the melee how to play video.

It addresses the basics and the fundamental workings of what Sakurai intended, of COURSE he is not going to explain everything in the video...

Now you are just being obnoxious.
You are taking an extremely flawed logic and burying yourself deeper and deeper along with it. I invite you to only play with what the "How to" video teaches you (lol, what a bunch of bull), see how much fun that is.

In fact, I would love to see people like this tell Sakurai and the rest of the team in person "Hey guys, others strayed from your path but I hung on like death to the instruction manual and video, and thus I never used tilts for KOs, because You did not intend for that to happen."

To which they will respond: "lol noob"

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
You are taking an extremely flawed logic and burying yourself deeper and deeper along with it. I invite you to only play with what the "How to" video teaches you (lol, what a bunch of bull), see how much fun that is.
I remember having fun with Smash Bros. even before some of these advanced exploits came into the picture. Of course, that's when games were meant to be fun.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
As far as WD goes, its not a skill, its definaley a glitch. I mean look at it. what does it look like, and does it feel natural. in a game that mimcs the martial arts and fighting, do you see any fighters/Martial artists out there who Wavedash?.... its a glitch. we really gotta acknowledge that.
but learning how to use the glitch to your advantage is great for your game play, however, there is this thing that happens when you start to get good with it and hey maybe even enter a tourney. Its called "Eff all your other charecters and join the WD zombies (fox, falco, marth, falcon, shiek,samus). If we dont see this to be true, show me a Pro Bowser putting Ken in a jam. Show me two ppl who play w/o charecter counters. I digress, These Pros are good, but not w/o a huge crutch that is the wavedash. But that is the way of competitive play. WIN, not with honor or fairness, if its in there you WIN. sucks i know. but thats why they are taking their time to fix WD and other glitches.
So to be kind of in the middle on this topic. We can play with all the charecters that we grew to love and then later become a zombie at the competitive level.
perhaps there will be a middle ground in Brawl, where you can actually play with ALL of the charecters , and constantly play pros glitch free.
Can we all agree that we want to play smash bros.
Not super-5 -charecter-wavedash-that-clearly- have-an-unatural-advantage-bros?
This is Just a game, But why do we have forums to express our love/concerns for the game.....something to think about. I cant wait to play all of you.

oh yeah, btw, Air dogding is different, WD is out. heheh see you guys on line!
happy gamin all

teh? so now you condemn players for using the best characters. Sakurai has realised some characters are better than others and is improvingthe weaker ones, k? But in melee, you can't say that using the best characters is bad.

it works. it helps you win. it's like the saying "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight"
Don't bring a mewtwo to a sheik fight. Unless you're taj.

and don't give me crap about it being realistic... lol

Epok

Smash Ace
"Sigh laugh combo"...... man do i love this topic i found out about this post from my good old buddy Aceleeon and i had to get on. its like black and white on this board. and we can't have a wave dashing topic without good ol' dylan Tnga(not meant to be a diss, but if there's a WD topic your half the posts bro lol). Me and Ace are good buddies and i definitely see where he is coming from on the idea of wavedashing. So what if he doesn't like wavedashing, personally i don't mind it, but iI also don't think its necessary either. there have been a few that have made there mark with out it like Aniki for example. doesn't use it but can still beat Ken.

I feel like there is this pre-justice going on about people don't think other people know what there talking about. we have all seen what we've seen and judge accordingly. I don't think that assuming other people suck cause of no WD is a concrete argument on a message board, but hey that's just me. I've seen Aceleeon play tons of matches against formidable players including KEN and ISAI ( i know i ws his partner at MLG). And He has a good understanding of the basics that all his solutions reside in basic attacks rather than wavedasing. He can learn and adapt, thats how he plays. to me its pretty cool that his simplicity and steadiness makes him a good player.

What i think were all really after is this perfect competitive smash bros experience, some with this intense back and forth staccato of intense dash dancing and wave dashing, and some prefer the legato of smoothly well executed attack and defense. there is nothing wrong with either if these. but my problem is when its NOT balanced, it IS a problem. We all must come to the realization that ALL SMASH BROS CHARACTERS ARE NOT CREATED EQUALLY. if that were true, tiers would be gone of course. in my personally opinion smash has brought out a competitive side out of me i never had before. but its hard when i wanna main Link and have a hard time winning against fox players JUST BECAUSE ITS FOX.

the realization is that is a hard character match up, nature of the game. I think Ace made a good point about there being no Bowser or Pichu player that place high in EVO and MLG, because if you wanna be at that lever you have to be INSANELY GOOD to even come close to a really good marth player. There lies the problem, i think anyone in here would be lying if they didn't want a game in where no matter what characters were picked, if two players at equal levels played each other, it would be close each time, because it would be a total reflection on how good YOU are as opposed to how broken your character is. This in essence is the true nature of competition. that no matter what path you take you will still always have a chance of being the best AS LONG AS WE PUT IN THE EFFORT.

then things like johns and the play to win ideal really wouldn't matter cause if its fair you really can't complain to begin with. that is why we strive for a balanced game. so if WDing is out sorry to the people feel they "need" or like it a lot i guess we must adapt or play melee. but to me its seems like the old man saying the "well back in my day" line. things change and were either gonna jump on the bandwagon or cling on to something cause we scared to branch out. i think a a lot of people don't want to have the feeling of starting from scratch. which is understandable because it took a long *** time to get where they are. But all in all. Lets remember why we lay smash because this game is tottaly kick ***. so see you goofy mother ****ers FEB 10th!!! CAUSE I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!

.......slowly gets of soap box........

Sontrowa

Smash Rookie
Who ever said the techs were removed? I haven't seen any interview or heard news from anyone who played that they couldn't do it.

karterfreak

Smash Cadet
if you were a designer and your intention was to make a game that has 20+ char , each with his own move life, animation , etc etc. do you think you would want a skill (ie WD) that seperate these charecters? would you want all those man hours on desinging balence and Full animation cylces to be shortend by one skill? thats bad craft.

That's news to me, I guess when we cancel the full running/walking animation by jumping/ducking/etc. , we are doing something that programmers didn't intend either.

as we have seen WD isnt just one thing, it creates much more than that. sure its fun for some charecters, and hey some ppl like to play this way. anyway it can be argued that it sets up for bland playing and even less replayablity if its way overdone.
It can also be argued that it adds more depth to the game, and adds even more replayability than there was before, and makes the game more enjoyable. Funny thing is, the person on this side of the argument has a hell of alot more going for them than the people saying it adds less replayability and makes the game dull.

anybody play Mario Kart Online and win? without snaking?
First of all, "snaking" is a stupid name coined by MKDS kiddies. The original name of the technique is "SSMT" (Straight-Stretch-Mini-Turbo) SSMT's have been around since the 64 version. It continued into MKDD, is in MKDS, and from the looks of the videos I have seen, will also be in MKWii. Can you guess why? It adds a little something called depth.

Second of all, the way MKDS noobs define "snaking" practically makes doing any mt's on a straight cheating, because they say any mt's done on a straight is considered "snaking". Some of the less noobish people only say it is "snaking" when they are doing left and right miniturbos in quick sucession on a straight road.

Thirdly, and more to the point of the quote, yes I have beaten people who "snake" before, but only the ****ty "snakers", because they are two completely different styles of play. I am a (retired) MKDS pro, still in the top 100's for the mkds official players page (non-PRB rankings , which btw, PRB is a glitch, but I bet you don't even know what that is, do ya?), and I can tell you for fact, even when I do play people who don't "snake" the same way they play, I still win, because I have put more PRACTICE into the game than they have, so I can take corners better, etc.

Also, WTF is it with the people who think that "snaking" is a win button (someone said it a little earlier in this topic)? That statement is illogical in itself because two people can "snake", but only one can win. I think I should mention that when two "snakers" race, it's the "snaker" who takes turns better and spaces their MT's out the proper distance according to the situation that wins. This is because one player has more SKILL than the other, usually from something called PRACTICE.

Last thing, "Snaking" adds depth to an otherwise simple racing game, get over the fact that someone is better than you at it. You also might want to remember to never bring a "snaking" argument into a place where a player's page member might reside, or you will get owned by someone a hell of alot more knowledgeable than you.

I dont think Sakurai wants to fall into that you lose the fun of the game a bit more that way. Halo is another example, they fixed alot of bugs in that one as well.
Some glitches have already been found in Halo 3 already, and it hasn't been out for very long. Come back to me on this one in about 3 years, and see how many glitches there are for it then.

I think the orignal intent of a designer is to create balence in his world. So, i guess a question is, do we agree that WD is a balenced well thought out and executed thing for all chars? Id vote no.
First of all, you have no idea what the original intent of a designer is, and if you think you do, your an idiot.

Secondly... Wavedashing qualifies more as an exploit than a glitch. Even though you don't say that it is a glitch in the post I am quoting, I thought I should point it out.

Wavedashing is fairly balanced if you look at it, considering that (imo) the tier list wouldn't change that much if Wavedashing didn't exist anyways. This is debatable though.

Here's a list of reasons as to why Wavedashing is actually well thought out.
1. Weight affects distance of slide
2. Traction affects distance of slide
3. Prevents a player from getting stuck inside of the stage.
4. Sliding looks normal compared to just stopping in place when you were moving at a set momentum before.

Wavedashing can be executed by all characters, so the execution argument was rather pointless.

For the reasons stated above, I would vote yes. :)

EDIT: The grammar nazi is heading your way, and he doesn't look very happy.

Epok

Smash Ace
*applause*

10 char

Really good stuff. Serious.

As for wavedashing sepperating the men from the boys, its a loose analogy but it does apply really,if you dont wavedash and you're not playing with people that do, then chances are you are not a good player ie a boy, but this just makes people feel like ***.

New game, new techs. 1 thing was removed and the new airdodge offers new possiblities. Tired of arguing? so am I
Aniki.... Deemed one of the best if not the best link in the world, hardly a boy.

Epok

Smash Ace
First of all, you have no idea what the original intent of a designer is, and if you think you do, your an idiot.

Secondly... Wavedashing qualifies more as an exploit than a glitch. Even though you don't say that it is a glitch in the post I am quoting, I thought I should point it out.

Wavedashing is fairly balanced if you look at it, considering that (imo) the tier list wouldn't change that much if Wavedashing didn't exist anyways. This is debatable though.

Here's a list of reasons as to why Wavedashing is actually well thought out.
1. Weight affects distance of slide
2. Traction affects distance of slide
3. Prevents a player from getting stuck inside of the stage.
4. Sliding looks normal compared to just stopping in place when you were moving at a set momentum before.

Wavedashing can be executed by all characters, so the execution argument was rather pointless.

For the reasons stated above, I would vote yes. :)

EDIT: The grammar nazi is heading your way, and he doesn't look very happy.
First of all don't call my friend an idiot, its a matter of opinion just like yours. he hasn't insulted a single person in here so don't be an *** hole please, thank you.

Well if its an exploit that that infers that it isn't thought out because of the idea something that is exploited is usually in some ones favor. maybe instead of a WD imbalance its a CHARACTER IMBALANCE that's the problem. What happens when Marth WD's into forward smash and Zelda WD's back to get away at the same time. marth is going to get closer and zelda is really gonna get nowhere, on top of the fact marth has a large disjointed hitbox, that does give him a huge advantage, if is wans't , most marth player wouldn't use it. the best way to solve this is

A. find a way to make it a TRUE INTENDED MOVE, and not just and easter egg "land special", and balance it better and make it more useful for every character. cause lets be honest some WD'S do suck. or....

B. take it out completely.

Apparently Nintendo chose B

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice
First of all don't call my friend an idiot, its a matter of opinion just like yours. he hasn't insulted a single person in here so don't be an *** hole please, thank you.

Well if its an exploit that that infers that it isn't thought out because of the idea something that is exploited is usually in some ones favor. maybe instead of a WD imbalance its a CHARACTER IMBALANCE that's the problem. What happens when Marth WD's into forward smash and Zelda WD's back to get away at the same time. marth is going to get closer and zelda is really gonna get nowhere, on top of the fact marth has a large disjointed hitbox, that does give him a huge advantage, if is wans't , most marth player wouldn't use it. the best way to solve this is

A. find a way to make it a TRUE INTENDED MOVE, and not just and easter egg "land special", and balance it better and make it more useful for every character. cause lets be honest some WD'S do suck. or....

B. take it out completely.

Apparently Nintendo chose B
I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly in your post but...

same situation except change zelda to luigi. who has the advantage there?? OMG LUIGI IS BETTER THAN MARTH!!!!11111!!!

keep zelda in that situation. instead of acting like a crappy player would and using zelda's worthless WD she just spotdodges and throws the marth away. WD is not imbalanced in any sense.

Epok

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly in your post but...

same situation except change zelda to luigi. who has the advantage there?? OMG LUIGI IS BETTER THAN MARTH!!!!11111!!!

keep zelda in that situation. instead of acting like a crappy player would and using zelda's worthless WD she just spotdodges and throws the marth away. WD is not imbalanced in any sense.
The fact that zelda's WD IS worthless, is an imbalance. and i'm not picking on top tier characters but even if Luigi's WD longer doesn't make it better cause he has no significant offensive afterwards. its good for some mindgames and getting away, but with no disjointed hit box you run the risk of getting hit my a nasty tilt or smash if you decides to WD in. marth's wavedash with his long sword still gives him a huge range advantage, and doesn't run as much of a risk cause the hit box is disjointed. it's not just WD but WD+move that is the imbalance if we didn't do anything after WD there wouldn't be much going on but WDing.

karterfreak

Smash Cadet
Make sure you understand what you are reading before you get pissed off at someone. That was an optional statement because I will only call your friend an idiot if he honestly believes that he knows what a game developer's intentions are. If he doesn't believe the above statement, then I'm not calling him an idiot.

EDIT:
The fact that zelda's WD IS worthless, is an imbalance. and i'm not picking on top tier characters but even if Luigi's WD longer doesn't make it better cause he has no significant offensive afterwards. its good for some mindgames and getting away, but with no disjointed hit box you run the risk of getting hit my a nasty tilt or smash if you decides to WD in. marth's wavedash with his long sword still gives him a huge range advantage, and doesn't run as much of a risk cause the hit box is disjointed. it's not just WD but WD+move that is the imbalance if we didn't do anything after WD there wouldn't be much going on but WDing.
That is an imbalance in the character, not the wavedash. The same result would happen even if the players didn't wavedash. It's no different than trying to use Luigi's nair against someone who has a larger nair range. The person with the larger nair has the advantage.

Epok

Smash Ace
First of all i'm not pissed of but disrespecting someone is also an optional statement and i though it was un call for. but i already made that point that there is a character imbalance but wavedashing doesn't really help the situation much. in the end i just want brawl to be balanced wavedashing aside. because that makes the game deeper and more fun, not being a top tier player being and end all answer to being a winner.

karterfreak

Smash Cadet
You do know that there will still be a tier list right? One matchup will always be harder for one character than another.

There are quite alot of people here who will argue that wavedashing would add more depth to the game, because it is another skill that can be used to aid you in your play/mindgames. Also, you can't really say it makes the game not as fun, because that is purely opinion. Somebody might look at smash being fun even if all they do is press the same button over and over, or if items are on/off, or if they are playing to their full potential using anything to their advantage.

On the issue of wavedashing and balance, wavedashing probably balances the game out more than if there was no wavedashing, but that's a matter of opinion.

You should probably realize that just because you play a top tier character, doesn't mean that you are automatically going to win. Look at round 2 of this match for a Pichu vs. Marth matchup, where Tommy beats the Marth.
http://www.getyourtournament.com/400692.html
Even though Tommy started faltering (and sandbagging) after he had his first stock taken off, he won the match. This is because Tommy was outright better than the other player.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
[They Were Removed Because They Were Glitches And Smash Is Supposed To Be Casual Not ****ing Tournament Competetive. My ****ing God How Many More Reatarded Threads Like These Must There Be?!?!?!?!?
You know, sakurai himself stated this is a competitive game and not just casual.

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice

so you're saying because one character can do something better than another character it makes the game imbalanced and therefore we should take it out???

we should just take out everything from the game then. that way it'll be balanced.

and what do you mean luigi has no significant offense out of a wavedash? some of the most abuseable smashes in th game aren't a significant offense i guess. disjointed hitboxes are only avaiable to 4 characters so that's a weak argument too. marth's current metagame isn't even based around wavesmashing. so many flaws in your argument. not even going to bother with the rest.

McD

Smash Journeyman
To fix this, Nintendo could just make classes, and you can face people in your class
It'd be like an online record
its been done, so why not?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have the solution! I stumbled on it in a dream last night.

I propose we only use one character, Mario. I also propose we only use one of his attacks, his neutral A. Finally, I propose we eliminate the use of the L/R button. So, you can move, you can use the neutral A, and you can use Mario. Viola, balance.

On a more serious note there is no way Smash will ever achieve balance. Melee actually has a great level of balance when you consider that half the cast still show up in the top levels of play (look at other fighting games if you think Smash's ratio is bad). If you have two characters, each with completely equal stats, then sure you have balance. If you give one character a 10% speed boost, you have now created a two tier system. The only solution to this problem is a rock-paper-scissors idea, however such a solution is impossible with over 20 unique characters, one character will always have an advantage in any given match up.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
All competitive players have played casually at one point. Not all casual players have played competitively before. They really have no say on whether advanced techniques should be removed.

Epok

Smash Ace
You do know that there will still be a tier list right? One matchup will always be harder for one character than another.

There are quite alot of people here who will argue that wavedashing would add more depth to the game, because it is another skill that can be used to aid you in your play/mindgames. Also, you can't really say it makes the game not as fun, because that is purely opinion. Somebody might look at smash being fun even if all they do is press the same button over and over, or if items are on/off, or if they are playing to their full potential using anything to their advantage.

On the issue of wavedashing and balance, wavedashing probably balances the game out more than if there was no wavedashing, but that's a matter of opinion.

You should probably realize that just because you play a top tier character, doesn't mean that you are automatically going to win. Look at round 2 of this match for a Pichu vs. Marth matchup, where Tommy beats the Marth.
http://www.getyourtournament.com/400692.html
Even though Tommy started faltering (and sandbagging) after he had his first stock taken off, he won the match. This is because Tommy was outright better than the other player.
To be honest i agree with that. I'm not a Anti wavedash zealot , i play top tier and low tier, h*** i wavedash alot ,and I don't think that your cooler if you don't wave dash, i never said its less fun. all in all what im really getting at is in the honesty even hough it's still fun as hell to play this game its still unbalanced. maybe its partly cause as a smash community,we have turned this game inside out and brought it to an unexpected level by the creators of this game. All im doing is trying to bring something else to this discussion and im not trying to argue and start confrontation. all i am doing is trying to see thing from every angle and make and formulate an opinion. when i first got on the boards i thought wave dashing was compete crap. when to MLG got wrecked. understood its importance and tried to utilize it. i still feel like there is some unbalace maybe more toward the game as a whole including all the options of advanced Techniques but that doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying it and it doesnt make it a bad game. but In the end what i would like to see for this one is a way that all charcaters have as close to equal footing as possible and i hope that they take advanced techniques into consideration more. i want to see the skill of players and not brokeness of characters and i don't think i'm wrong in saying that.

NRSm@sh

Smash Rookie
Between Time n Space, training to become stronger
I believe that Nintendo wanted to bring somethin new the new installment, while keeping the game familure with the players from SSBM, as far as the advanced techs, some of them where obviously not intended to be in the game, but seeing how they have been used Nintendo should have considered making them part of the game, thats just my opinion

Top Bottom