• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My rant on meta knight and why I can't play him anymore

_Kamikaze

Smash Cadet
Ok, There are people who play just to beat metaknight. People say hes has no weaknesses. But in reality he has the BIGGEST weakness in the ENTIRE game. If you have a short attention span, then you may wanna leave. Metaknight is one of the most overused characters in the game. Which means people will dislike him. 50% of the people that play against MK a lot will hate him BUT they don't do diddly squat about it besides make stupid johns.

Ok, now this is what I really mean. There are some people who hate MK so much that they find all of his counter characters and MAIN THEM ALL. And they find every way possible to beat MK. But that's not necessarily the issue. The real issue is A LOT of people do this. So many it starts to make winning with metaknight hard. If you go to a ladder or something where counter-picking is allowed and you use metaknight, you may win the the first match but for the next two you can say goodbye to victory. I have nothing against people who do this but because of this, I don't think I can main him anymore.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
if your actually good and know HOW to use mk, their is no counter to beat him =p
lol

Dojo

Smash Champion
Although MK's weaknesses can be exploited, a smart mk main can still outdo anybody on almost every situation.

So people are picking up ways to counter him. Thats good. It makes the game more competitive. More fun. A bigger challenge. More balanced. Exactly how it should be.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
lol. You do realize you're doing exactly what they want you to do right? Don't give him up. If everyone trying to focus on MK and use his counter chars then YOU focus on his counters. Read some guides. Try to play people who main these counters. Think of each of their weaknesses and exploit them. If you're going to give him up at least take my advice first.

Dojo

Smash Champion
You act like intelligent Snakes will just let you gimp them that easy. Seriously, think a lil more before you post.
YOU act like like intelligent MK's won't find a way to gimp a Snake. Wise words of advice on thinking before posting, you should take them.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
You act like intelligent Snakes will just let you gimp them that easy. Seriously, think a lil more before you post.
One of the most gimpable recoveries in the game + The best gimper in the game = -_-

Seriously, if your not trying to gimp snake when he gets off the edge, you're not playing him right...

Clouderz

Smash Ace
lol, i was just being sarcastic ._. seeing as how he's a really good character ^__^ most of the noobs say that MK has no counter, he's godly ;p

Baky

Smash Journeyman
MK is disadvantaged vs snake unless MK gets a low % gimp, otherwise Snake's nade camping gives him the advantage
Can you not attack the upper portion of Snake? Considering grenade countering only works if the opponent's hitbox makes contact with the grenade and when shielding the grenade is being held at the mid lower portion of Snakes body. Of course, hitting him high may not be as easy as it sounds. I'm just guessing here.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Ok, There are people who play just to beat metaknight. People say hes has no weaknesses. But in reality he has the BIGGEST weakness in the ENTIRE game. If you have a short attention span, then you may wanna leave. Metaknight is one of the most overused characters in the game. Which means people will dislike him. 50% of the people that play against MK a lot will hate him BUT they don't do diddly squat about it besides make stupid johns.

Ok, now this is what I really mean. There are some people who hate MK so much that they find all of his counter characters and MAIN THEM ALL. And they find every way possible to beat MK. But that's not necessarily the issue. The real issue is A LOT of people do this. So many it starts to make winning with metaknight hard. If you go to a ladder or something where counter-picking is allowed and you use metaknight, you may win the the first match but for the next two you can say goodbye to victory. I have nothing against people who do this but because of this, I don't think I can main him anymore.
You're bad, nobody cares.

Realize that being good at this game is more than picking the right characters.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
There are some people who hate MK so much that they find all of his counter characters and MAIN THEM ALL.
Then you should find counter characters for their counter characters. Makes sense to me. Or just pick places that are bad for their counter if you don't feel like getting good at other characters. There aren't any stages that trash Meta Knight, but there's that one stage that each other character will have a really rough time on. You don't have to, and shouldn't have to give up on MK. He's too broken and cool :chuckle:

A high enough level of skill should mostly nullify your problems, anyways.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
LOL. This thread is made out of so much fail... mk has no **** match ups where he is at an extreme disadvantage, the worst is at most just 70-30, which is debatable. Seriously, if you're going to cry about how MK does bad against people who are smart when it comes to getting counter picked... Then think about how alot of the cast with an exception of a few have quite a few bad match ups. Wow... I cant tell if you're serious, but if you are... think about how a bunch of other characters dont even come close to the amount of **** match ups MK has. This thread made my day lmao

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Mewtwo King is right... Snake counters MK. With grenade camping, dont forget that Snake can edge guard all characters very well. Snake is only disadvantaged when he is being edge guarded and a good Snake will be very defensive in this match. When you play against someone, most of the fights are on the center field, and since the majority of the fights is on centerfield, that means snake has the most advantage.
Snake, DK, and Lucario = MK counters. At high skill level play.
I laugh in disbelief when people say MK has no counters.
And for those people complaing about MK... it seems like the people that actually play MK as a main or secondary knows of MK's weaknesses more than someone who hardly ever played MK. I suggest playing him for a bit until you can learn his moves and strategies, then you will realize he is beatable and has counters.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I agree with the DK Snake Lucario, although they are all close matches, more or less even for him

the only people who say mk has no bad matchups are those that want to just john about the character because they don't use him much. I use him cuz he's the funnest to me, I can do the most stuff and he's like a Fox + Marth breed from melee.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
I agree M2k. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Luigi counters MK too. People just dont realize this cause Luigi is underused.
Lol wut?

I've faced a lot of luigis and I can safely say that MK ***** him. If he tries to use fire balls MT eats them up. And before you mention luigi's air game, It's not better than MK's

lol.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I agree with the DK Snake Lucario, although they are all close matches, more or less even for him

the only people who say mk has no bad matchups are those that want to just john about the character because they don't use him much. I use him cuz he's the funnest to me, I can do the most stuff and he's like a Fox + Marth breed from melee.
Since when are "more or less even" matchups considered bad? Oh yeah, they are bad compared to every other matchup MK has.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
If only MetaKnights attack hade som lag he wouldnt be broken, the same with Snake. If Snakes tilts haved the same damage but less knockback he wouldnt be broken.

Smash Master
You gotta be kidding me. It's like *****ing that Akuma isn't broken because everyone who doesn't use Akuma uses anti Akuma strategies. The presence of anti-MK strategies is a direct result of MK being broken. And guess what? He still wins, because he has no weaknesses.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman

You just contradicted yourself with the first two bolded.

And how can you do a lot of stuff with Meta? He has no AT's other than the infinite dimensional cape, which could be banned. Compare with characters like, for instance, Ness, who has PK-jumping, vertical PK-jumping, and Hyphen Smashing with the chargeup. If you mean he's has many playstyles you can use, what about Lucario, who has one of the most varied playstyles in Brawl. Just interested in what you mean.

Also, how the heck does Meta play like Fox? A fast-falling character with a difficult learning curve that makes good use of his shine is not a slow-falling character with an easy learning curve.

You gotta be kidding me. It's like *****ing that Akuma isn't broken because everyone who doesn't use Akuma uses anti Akuma strategies. The presence of anti-MK strategies is a direct result of MK being broken. And guess what? He still wins, because he has no weaknesses.
He has a few weaknesses. He's light, and is forced to approach opponents. However, his strengths still outweigh him.

Don't compare him to Akuma in power, though. Game effect, maybe, but not power.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
"There are some people who hate MK so much that they find all of his counter characters and MAIN THEM ALL"

Does not compute. No one counters metaknight.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
if you guys didn't suck you wouldn't constantly lose to scurbby MKs. From the time I started tourneys, I've been able to handle good MKs just fine, and I'm talking about the best MKs, I've played everyone good from md/va to have a valid opinion of the high level play of MKs, even back when I mained DDD, and MK is one of my more liked characters to fight against. You're just whining cuz you can't beat him and you lose to tornados and up Bs because you don't play smart enough. All I have to say is you guys who keep whining need to STEP IT UP

dimensional cape OH NO. First off no one good uses that move more than a few seconds, 2nd off that just makes the possibility of banning the infinite stall rather than the character.

Seriously all I hear is ;_; sniff sniff I can't win vs MK, let's ban him. I'm going to spend all my days on the boards talking about how MK is broken rather than just getting better (my wii got stolen so I have an excuse to be on the boards right now). He's not that hard, I can think of at least 10 other characters that I would rather not fight against than MK, DK Diddy Olimar Wario Snake Falco Wolf Rob Lucario Pit Fox. There that's 11 characters right there that I would rather fight a MK over that character. Why? Cuz everyone uses MK and it's easy to fight because of that. Same as Marth dittos in Melee.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
if you guys didn't suck you wouldn't constantly lose to scurbby MKs. From the time I started tourneys, I've been able to handle good MKs just fine, and I'm talking about the best MKs, I've played everyone good from md/va to have a valid opinion of the high level play of MKs, even back when I mained DDD, and MK is one of my more liked characters to fight against. You're just whining cuz you can't beat him and you lose to tornados and up Bs because you don't play smart enough. All I have to say is you guys who keep whining need to STEP IT UP
First of all, be a bit more respectful. People are trying as best as they can. Saying that everyone who complains about Meta sucks isn't going to win you any debates. I believe what you say, that Meta Knight is alright when you're on pro level, but many of the people here aren't pros (Myself included.).

Secondly, I do okay with Metaknights, even with my opposite on the tier list main (Captain Falcon vs. Meta normally results in a sheer ****, while the matchup against my Meta maining friend is more like 30/70 in his favor.). For my other mains, it's close to 50/50, with a slight advantage on my part when using Lucario.

Thirdly, what do you call the first post, where a person whines that his easy to learn, top of the tier list character with no real bad matchups is losing to people, and is not trying to get any better himself?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Learning curve doesn't matter, high level play determines tiers (actually back room votes determine tiers, but I'm highly against many of their opinions)

I've never lost to a scrubby MK, all you have to do if they tornado is angle your shield up, if they try to shuttle loop just stay directly above them while holding out a nair/dair, or bait it with air dodge and they can get punished. Just THINK instead of GIVING UP

all I see people do is whine about him instead of getting good against him, back when I mained DDD I had no problems with MK, and I still don't even now that I main him. He's not as broken as you think you guys are just jumping on the bandwagon whether you realize it or not.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Learning curve doesn't matter, high level play determines tiers (actually back room votes determine tiers, but I'm highly against many of their opinions)

I've never lost to a scrubby MK, all you have to do if they tornado is angle your shield up, if they try to shuttle loop just stay directly above them while holding out a nair/dair, or bait it with air dodge and they can get punished. Just THINK instead of GIVING UP

all I see people do is whine about him instead of getting good against him, back when I mained DDD I had no problems with MK, and I still don't even now that I main him. He's not as broken as you think you guys are just jumping on the bandwagon whether you realize it or not.
I think he has a good point and this is something I posted before in a thread where they want to ban MK

Instead of doing this what should be done is a thread on tactics for each character on how to beat MK with each characters. Also what moves stop the tornado, how to punish his Up b. good edge guarding techs and so on. We have done that on PR and people are improving a lot. Hell in the last tournament a Peach won 1st place and **** he make her look top tier. ill upload the vid soon.

Ex,

Marth

Moves that stop the tornado

down B stops all his attacks good agains MK neutral B and foward B.

all tips attacks stop his whorenado still got to be carefull.

When an MK uses neutral B close to you; Block w8 for it to stop punish with dancing blade( foward B).

When he is recovering if he uses Up b high in the air: w8 for him to get close enough to do glide attack and punish with Up B.

his down smash punish with dancing blade: if MK hits you with his first hit of the down smash then you can down smash him(tip FTW) or Up B Him. Up smash if on High percentage.

if he is rushing you: block , either grab, dancing blade or up B.

Punish all his up b with bair, counter or Up B.

also down tilt is good against MK.

There it is my friends. Here is a quick guide on how to punish several moves with marth. I think everyone Instead of looking for a way to ban him, what should be done is clearly create a Thread on how to punish MK attacks.

I went to evo 2k8 and in all Friendlies I play against an MK i managed to win them all with marth. Just in case My main Is DK. So it felt good to be able to beat randoms MK, 2 stocks and everything.

Its to bad you could come to Evo (altough I know it was full of BS) but I wanted to face a real good MK. not just those who think they are good cause they use MK.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
When did I ever say Meta's easy learning curve meant he was at the top of the list? All I said was that A.) He's easy to use, and B.) He's top tier.

The rest of the post is not directed at me, but I agree with it. Some people are a bit too happy with the banhammer.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Marths d-tilt isnt too good against MK IMO, MK's d-tilt out ranges yours haha. Btw, M2K are you going to get a new wii?
dude it depends on the situations. Of course you wont spam it but:

you can use fair, fast fall down tilt to dancing blade if his shield is low. also if MK starts to spotdoge you can punish with downtilt.

It depends on the situations thats it. of course you have to play it smart not spam it cause then MK will punish you then.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i like fighting MK. getting better vs him is good. i main him so that just makes it better because i would know all his tricks. there is a clear diff. vs scrubby mks and good ones.

dont get *****. thats it. in fact ima gtfo off the boards and learn new ways to fight him. lol oh man....

Top Bottom