• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My rant about new Nintendo console rumours

Browny

Smash Hater
So I wrote this at work today, figured it pretty much constitutes a blog, so I thought Id post it here. This was regarding the following statements sent in a public email about the console rumours.
- Uses a three core CPU, ATI graphic card and at least 512 MB of RAM. Similar setup to Xbox 360 but more powerful, and in HD. Probably allow easy ports from Xbox 360.
- Uses blu-ray.
- A controller with an LCD touch screen built in. Supposedly can stream games to the controller as well as allow touch screen capability for games.
- A modified motion controller that is supposedly more accurate than the PS3 Move controller.
- Backward compatible with Gamecube and Wii.
- Enhanced on-line capabilities to directly take on Xbox Live and the PSN.
- A focus also on hard core gamers.
- Not to be called Wii, a new name will be used.
I find every single aspect about this rumour quite hard to believe . In fact this all looks more like a fanboys dream which they couldnt separate from real world scenarios. I dont believe I'm biased against nintendo, seeing how Ive bought all of their consoles except the 3ds (yet), 2 on launch day, but just nothing about this rumour seems right to me.

- Being more powerful than current gen consoles. Where is the market for this? 360/PS3 have a stranglehold on gamers who care about good graphics. The first problem is that they are trying to re-capture a market that left them long ago. Those ships have sailed. Lucky for nintendo, theyre busy fighting each other while the DS and Wii continue to print money. The second problem is that even if they do overpower the 360/PS in terms of graphical power, that wont last long. It wouldnt be more than 12 months until they both release new consoles which aim to blow the new ninty console's specs out of the water. They wont care about the cost of the console, never have and never will and it'll still sell among their target demographic which most DEFINITELY will not be able to afford 2 inflated-cost consoles. Speaking of which, Nintendo is going to have to put a considerable price increase over the wii if it really does want to match gen 8 consoles. But the casual market is so much bigger, the wii is twice as popular as the ps3/360 not just because of ninty fans buying it regardless but because every person who wants a console for their kids but doesnt exactly have five hundred and ninety nine US dollars for it. The casual market is growing and wont stop anytime soon, THATS where the money is. Nintendo cant cater for the casual players AND the ones who care about graphics since people are going to be faced with an even more extreme situations of costs when the only option is to buy one or the other, do they go with their long-favoured 360/PS3, or make the change to nintendo? As I said before, I beleive that market is lost forever.

Nintendo learned from their mistakes with the GC which was an attempt to copy more modern consoles and their graphic-centric designs and since then they havent made a single bad decision. Everything rearding the DS to the Wii to DSi to 3DS is a brilliant money making scheme, none of which focused on overpowering the other consoles with graphics. I trust nintendo now to always make the right financial decisions however this rumoured console sounds like anything but. I'll hold my breath from official word from ninty, but really I think they are smart enough to not make a very expensive console. The question remains to me; how powerful can you make a console while minimising the price? Ninty doesnt need a huge profit margin from it, the (3)DS will continue to smash world records for sales, I hope they can use this buffer to keep whatever new console they make, cheaper.

- Blu-ray. I dont know what to think here. Personally I cant beleive solid-state media hasnt made blu-ray redundant yet (piracy related?). Would Nintendo switch to Sonys format or would they make their own proprietory like with the GC... Of course im unimformed here, but blu-ray just doesnt seem all that likely to me.

- This is a terrible idea. Way to make an expensive controller for functionality that will be a gimmick, will suck, and will add weight to the controller; increasing fatigue rates. I dont see it happening.

- Well this at least is believable.

- The same drive, able to read GC AND blu-ray discs? well this would be interesting... no comment lol.

- Well it couldnt be any worse than the Wii's online haha... Microsoft/Sony have so much more resources dedicated to this... Yeah it could take it on, in the sense that when asked 'which console do i get to play online games' the new console wont get a big red cross through it like the wii does. Whatever it is, it would have to be free.

- One of my favourite parts of this rumour, the 'hardcore' gamers. We need to separate this group into 3 categories though since they seem to have joined to make a horrible mess. Theres the people who play games which are rated M15+ and call themselves 'hardcore', as if FPS arent the most popular video games and the average age of gamers isnt 33. The gamers who are (hardcore) enthusiasts in the sense that they want to 100% complete everything and buy tons of games, and those who are actually hardcore and play games with a serious sense of competition with online organised matches etc. Now which 2/3 of those aspects are completely out of nintendos control... And we are left with online organised matches etc. Its the game devs which make a console 'hardcore'. Now they abandoned the Wii in droves due to technical limitations and pereptions of demographic etc, its a shame since the install base (ie; money) potential was so large. If devs only knew how popular the wii would eventually become, destroying the competition, things would have been different. So nintendo can do all they want to woo potential 'hardcore' gamers to the console, but it wont mean anything unless the devs make it work. We have the same issue as before though, all of the real hardcore gamers already own a 360/ps3. The devs would only invest in making the console legitimately cater for 'hardcore' gamers if those players actively make the switch to nintendo. It might have been possible with the wii due to its low cost, owning a PS/360 + a wii is a very common thing amongst households. But if ninty is gonna go all out with graphics and bump the cost up etc, as I said before, I really dont think the legitimately hardcore players will actually make the switch.

- Dolphilution IMO

Yes I know all of that above looks like a big emo rant and hey it probably is. The only reason I could think of Nintendo giving up their Charlie Sheen formula is if they have deemed they now control such a significant share of the market and an install base including many PS/360 owners, that they can go on an all-out offensive and take the market they lost with the GC while relying on the countless millions who will buy the console regardless. Those who might not be able to afford it will still buy the (3)DS so ninty still has an install base somehow and those same people are not likely to buy a ps/360 anyway, even if they happened to be consideradly cheaper and the wii will still outsell ps/360 anyway. Obviously microsoft and sony are in no position, and probably never will be, to make such a move in the video game market so Nintendo really could take advantage of this.

Now that my optimistic scenario of the best possible outcome
But to me, this all hangs on how much Nintendo will settle for in the cost of their console. For that strategy to work, it must be cheaper than other gen 8 consoles. You have to give that lost market 2 reasons to switch (cost and likelihood of strong dev support due to consoles popularity and power). How powerful and feature-packed can this new console be, while not being outdone within 12 months by its competitors? I think Ninty being the first entrant into gen 8 consoles would be a good move but they are going to need a drastically reduced profit margin if they want this to work the way I think it would work ideally... But would Nintendo really risk their ever-growing domination of the market in an attempt to grab even more? Is it worth it? Those are the hardest questions to answer.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I find it hard to believe too, but...

if nintendo wanted to make a system for hardcore gamers i have no doubt they would do it flawlessly. they could market it along side the wii, not just as an upgrade, to cater to both the casual and competitive gamers.

it would be just like ps3 and xbox trying to branch out into the casual market

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
That doesnt make any sense. All systems are casual at heart. By the definition, the majority of gamers are casual.

I just want a controller. Not a freaking white dongle that doesn't even come with a "nunchuck" which contains the freaking control stick. They literally sell wiimites without control sticks... Don't get me started about the batteries which run out immediately and require you to add that much more money into your remote. Why should I have to buy the controller "upgrade" which is still battery operated and is just the wiimote with a shell on it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
The Wii's control system was terrible. The new proposed rumoured control doesn't sounds any better. A (touch) screen in it? That'd drain battery in a flash, not to mention if it were to break and the cost of buying a new one.

I like the sound of a more "hardcore" approach but I'm not holding my breath from these rumours.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Honestly I'm a bit :/ at the whole triple core CPU thing.

You'd think if they were going for "hardcore" or whatever people who play CoD and hurl abuse that their mothers are, it'd be quad core lol.

Silly rumours.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
While I am skeptical on the whole "being more powerful" than its competitors, Nintendo could technically do this, but still come out as winners.

We have to remember that Sony and Microsoft planned their current console to have a 10 year life cycle. Both are currently on year 5. Assuming "Wii 2" comes out late 2012, then its competitors would have 6 years of the life cycle complete. If they then announce a console to come out in 2014, it would be 8 years of the life cycle complete. While cutting the "lifecycle" would be a loss, 8 years is still successful IMO.

My point is though, Nintendo can get away with making a stronger console, and dominating the market for a while. If the PS3 is 2006 technology, Nintendo can get away with making say...2008 or 2009 technology. The price would still be competitive, and by the time Sony and Microsoft come out with their new consoles, the "Wii 2" would simply be a nice cheap console to have.

However, there are some things that can make this Nintendo console expensive. For starters, the Blu-ray drive and backwards compatibility. That was a big part in why PS3's were so expensive upon release. Then, if you're not charging for dedicated online servers, you have to maintain that as well. Then we have this controller. If it does have a LCD resolution screen built in, and reportedly it's 6 inches across, then to me, that's another extra cost.

Overall, I think Nintendo will control the market again for a while, but their rivals will jump on them sooner than later.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wow, are you ignoring the fact that there are 360's being sold for 150? It shouldn't be too hard for Nintendo to make something better while still remaining cheap. They ARE trying to outdo 5 year old tech, ya know.

The triple core rumor is a bit dubious, though.

:phone:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Triple core isn't even a big deal. Considering we're getting quad core phones and tablets, that's not really some sort of ridiculous leap for Nintendo.

People are acting as if 360 and PS3 are some sort of goliaths. They aren't. They weren't even THAT powerful on release (well PS3's theoretical CPU performance is arguably monstrous but blah blah not good for games etc etc), the point is, people need to stop thinking that Nintendo has to work hard to outperform these consoles. The 3DS' best looking games (MGS for example) are easily superior to the Wii to quite an extent, and it's rendering 2 frames at a time, double the work of what other consoles have to do.

Now take out the double workload, bump up the size significantly, and you're pretty much guaranteed to outpeform the 360/PS3 unless you're using some mega piss poor outdated tech.

Wii was their attempt at widening the gaming demographic, and it'll probably still last for a long time, I believe this console is going to be side by side with Wii and offer more traditional gaming. Traditional parameters such as good visuals, standard controller and other such things will probably apply. So what if they have a screen on the controller? You don't even know wtf is coming of it so stop *****ing the guys out before they even show the thing. Remember when everyone cried about Wind Waker and it was one of the greatest games ever? Remember when Metroid Prime went first person and everyone started having seizures, only for the game to be named by many to be GC's greatest release?

People need to just stfu, stop doubting, stop jumping, and just wait for the news with an open mind. Don't expect anything amazing, and don't doubt stuff that says it'll be good. Who knows, Nintendo is famous for surprises, we'll just have to wait and see.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Teran, it's **** like this that makes me love you.

Triple core being a big deal, ha, good one. If Nintendo managed to make a console WEAKER than **** released 5 years ago, I think I'd piss myself laughing.

Linkslapsyomama

Smash Apprentice
If nintendo choose to they could make there next console as powerful as the xbox360 and playstation 3 put together. Not to mention they could put 1000 gigs as the starting hardrive if they really wanted to.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@theboredone
The thing with Blu-Ray is that it was brand new technology at the time. Remember how DVD players were freakishly expensive and then as of a few years ago, you could but a DVD player for 60 dollars, 1/10th of what some players were back then.

So what do I think about the rumored aspects?

-Can't Comment
-I'm fine with this. If this means I don't have to buy a Blu-Ray player for Evangelion and FMA, I'm happy.
-You might as well have a handheld then. If this were to happen, I can see this being like the Nunchaku - an attachment. I can't imagine playing Smash with a touch screen.
-Sweet
-Sweet
-It better.
-If they sell this alongside the Wii, I can see this working to an extant.
-Yii

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm more curious to see what Sony does. 360/Wii are dated obviously, but the PS3 isn't. Makes me wonder how long they'll hold the PS3. (Which just recently became very successful)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The PS3 is very dated, GPU wise.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I'm more curious to see what Sony does. 360/Wii are dated obviously, but the PS3 isn't. Makes me wonder how long they'll hold the PS3. (Which just recently became very successful)
lol no. 360 isn't dated. Wii yes, actually Wii was dated the day it was released.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So were 360 and PS3, tbh.

Lol.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I hate console games sometimes because developers seem to think anti aliasing isn't important.

Oh look let's make really detailed textures and models... and have them all accented by a pixel staircase.

Thanks for that yo.

I mean if you're going to brag your hi res and pretty game bull**** to me, at least use AA.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
my thoughts exactly.

why i hate playing fighting games on a HDTV, because the characters look like they were drawn in ms paint

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man honestly if games are 720p natively rendered (which most are), 4xAA at 1080p would kill off pretty much all jaggies.

I'd like to imagine that our almighty consoles could achieve this.

I MEAN COME ON :mad:

It's why I'm sometimes glad Wii doesn't market for graphics, because I know for a fact that the games will look dated and subpar and focus on other parts. I'm a graphics *****, but if graphics aren't a part of the package I'm fine if the game delivers. With 360/PS3, a large part of their whole angle is graphical superiority.

A superiority I fail to notice with more aliasing than an N64 game.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
wii generally does a lot better job at managing the pixel-ness, though. partly because the graphics aren't as good so it doesn't stand out as much, but eh.

Browny

Smash Hater
oh on topic of dated consoles

PS3 having a 'life' of 10 years was the joke of the decade. Not bagging the PS3 or anything, bagging the marketers who constantly underrate the speed technology increases. Afaik, we are still increasing the rate at which things become more powerful lol, people thought we would slow down soon, probably where that idea came from.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
oh on topic of dated consoles

PS3 having a 'life' of 10 years was the joke of the decade. Not bagging the PS3 or anything, bagging the marketers who constantly underrate the speed technology increases. Afaik, we are still increasing the rate at which things become more powerful lol, people thought we would slow down soon, probably where that idea came from.
You do realize that BOTH consoles have a projected lifespan of 10 years, right?

They were both designed with easy firmware updating in mind, which wasn't available in earlier consoles and adds a couple life years by itself, and really, what would they gain from an upgrade? The graphics gap between pc's and consoles isn't quite wide enough yet where there would be a huge improvement, and besides, better graphics is really the only thing they could add at this point, for now.

So I ask again: what would they gain from an upgrade? Nintendo is the only one who would benefit a ton from an upgrade.

Oh, and I believe that you were referring to Moore's Law, right?

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
meh, anything that can possibly come out from Nintendo is an improvement over the current wii console

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I don't believe anything until I see something other than big paragraphs from IGN. I will however, keep on daydreaming.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If anyone has seen the demos and pics of the Unreal Engine 3...would be curious to know if right now, it would only run on the PC.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The graphics gap between pc's and consoles isn't quite wide enough yet where there would be a huge improvement
DX10

So consoles were already significantly lagging years ago.

Honestly I think Microsoft is throttling PC games so they don't outdo the consoles by a wide margin.

I mean the fact that Crysis 2 looks worse than Crysis is a testament to how lame this is getting. Sure a 10 year lifespan is nice from an economic point of view, more on our end than theirs, but quite frankly, you cannot milk systems bragging on graphical horsepower for 10 years.

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
Im looking foward to the new console. I think that it is possible to make this into a console for hardcore and casual gamers. I mean just look at SSB I think this can easily be considered hardcore especially Melee.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Im looking foward to the new console. I think that it is possible to make this into a console for hardcore and casual gamers. I mean just look at SSB I think this can easily be considered hardcore especially Melee.
What exactly is your definition of 'hardcore', because last time I checked, the overwhelming majority of people who play Smash play it less than 5 hours a day, if anything it's a hobby, which is like the opposite of hardcore...almost...you know...casual.

>_>

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
What exactly is your definition of 'hardcore', because last time I checked, the overwhelming majority of people who play Smash play it less than 5 hours a day, if anything it's a hobby, which is like the opposite of hardcore...almost...you know...casual.

>_>
My definition of hardcore is a person who can play competatively in a tournament. For example CoD and Halo could be considered a hardcore game for me but something like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon wouldnt. Also if you think about it 5 hours can be kind of a long time. I get home at 3pm during that time I have 7 or 8 hours until I SHOULD go to bed. Using 5 out of the 8 hours that I have is kind of a lot in my book.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
My definition of hardcore is a person who can play competatively in a tournament. For example CoD and Halo could be considered a hardcore game for me but something like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon wouldnt. Also if you think about it 5 hours can be kind of a long time. I get home at 3pm during that time I have 7 or 8 hours until I SHOULD go to bed. Using 5 out of the 8 hours that I have is kind of a lot in my book.
If you're going to get pro at something, you need to eventually have a regiment of like, 10 hours a ****ing day, 5 days a week, that's hardcore. If hardcore players play competitively, then they are playing a ****ing lot, Smash can be competitive, yes, but the HUUUUUUUGE majority of players for it aren't. Even most 'tournament' players suck **** at Brawl, because the only time they really play is at tournaments like twice a month, and it's sad. Sure the game has like next to no ****ing depth compared to hella fighters, but it still requires dedication, it's at least consistent.

A console needs nothing to be hardcore, it's dependent on the player base and the kind of games released on it. Nintendo very very rarely appeals to competitive gamers, and they don't need to.

Edit-I have Switch ignored, but apparently he's mad I stated facts about the 360, even though it's like, my main console. I loved Reach, I'm excited for Gears, it's still a dated *** system.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
IMO, you don't need a large chunk of your day playing a game to be good. For fighters at least, you just need the right kind of opponents. You need to play good players to get better. Spending five hours in training mode isn't gonna help you. Speaking from experience, just getting combos down shouldn't exceed an hour because you execution gets sloppy after a while.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
IMO, you don't need a large chunk of your day playing a game to be good. For fighters at least, you just need the right kind of opponents. You need to play good players to get better. Spending five hours in training mode isn't gonna help you. Speaking from experience, just getting combos down shouldn't exceed an hour because you execution gets sloppy after a while.

I'm talking 10 hours a day of actual gameplay, not training mode. Tomo did just ****ing that, and yeah, he steam rolled everyone at Street Fighter. EVERYONE. Like 10 hours a day if not more playing the best players. The more playtime you get, the better you get, if you can't get that, you're already ****ed when it comes to getting truly good. You might be able to be decent, maybe even place, but you cannot be the best and stay "casual", although people seem to think Brawl encourages a different approach, so they don't actually try, which is why there's a huge skill gap that's never being filled.

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
I'm talking 10 hours a day of actual gameplay, not training mode. Tomo did just ****ing that, and yeah, he steam rolled everyone at Street Fighter. EVERYONE. Like 10 hours a day if not more playing the best players. The more playtime you get, the better you get, if you can't get that, you're already ****ed when it comes to getting truly good. You might be able to be decent, maybe even place, but you cannot be the best and stay "casual", although people seem to think Brawl encourages a different approach, so they don't actually try, which is why there's a huge skill gap that's never being filled.
Good luck finding a job or going to school if you are playing videogames 10 hours a day. I agree that the more you play the better you get, but dont you think that 10 hours is going a little too far? The reason I play SSB is because it is fun and if I was forcing myself to play for hours on end each day I think my love for the game would eventually start to dwindle.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Good luck finding a job or going to school if you are playing videogames 10 hours a day. I agree that the more you play the better you get, but dont you think that 10 hours is going a little too far? The reason I play SSB is because it is fun and if I was forcing myself to play for hours on end each day I think my love for the game would eventually start to dwindle.
I said it's what you do if you want to be the best, I didn't say everyone can do it. I mean, seriously, you think people who got amazingly good at sports did so with a convenient and balanced schedule? Overwhelmingly, the answer to that would be NOOOOOOOPE.

I mean, seriously, what are you trying to argue? Yes, it's a lot of time, no ****, the only reason you'd play it that much is to go pro, I don't know why you even bring up your love "starting to dwindle for it", that changes nothing about the facts.

Do you guys just live off of making arguments that address nothing or what? I mean, I know I shouldn't expect much from this thread seeing how apparently the op thinks it's hard to make a system stronger than a 360, which is ****ing hilarious, but come oooooooon.

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
My point is why would I go pro if I don't like the game any more? I also doubt that every pro spends 10 hours everyday practicing that sounds just like a made up statistic,

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
My point is why would I go pro if I don't like the game any more? I also doubt that every pro spends 10 hours everyday practicing that sounds just like a made up statistic,
You don't need to spend 10 hours a day forever and ever, but it's definitely in the higher range, 6-10. Ok, so you don't like a game anymore if you go pro at it, that's really...not my problem? I mean you're literally not even arguing anything other than "I don't want to do that". That's really cool, it still addresses nothing I said, you can't go pro and play just a little bit at a time, that's not how it works.

Top Bottom