• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

john!

Smash Hero
why don't people like fanfics? seriously. the fanfic-only mode on eqd is ridiculous. how could you call yourself a brony (who embraces love and tolerance) if you use that mode?

john and Spelt are Luna and Celestia, you're Discord, and the SWF staff is driving~
except celestia's a troll and spelt's just a bully

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I just click on "news" or "media" when I want them on the tabs.
I would kinda like more feedback soon on my fic from those I sent it out to soon.

And scarfjack 125x125 get. :applejack:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
My EqD runs goes as
http://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Music
-> No Fanfiction Mode for news and goodies like videos, applications, wallpapers, desktop icons, and desktop ponies. Mmm and a How-To on fixing your brushable pony's hair to make it show-accurate. Probably try that tomorrow, boiling water without back up supervision in case I scald myself.

Only pony fics I read are those by friends that need a quick look over
And ya, I take it Espy already got my review.

Lol APPLE.MOV gif on ponibooru, i might as well check for twilight's cheering
Edit: YES

GO APPLEJACK GO

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Should be 9AM ET according to the side bar on the HUB website

However the TV Schedule page on the HUB website lists the first showing at 8:30AM ET (7:30 CT)
So I don't know if it's a screw up, but to be safe start at 8:30 just in case.

Also EqD rumors has it that after S2E03, there's going to be a new air time. This is really screwing with schedules :/

vZakat

Half Genie
I hope the new time will be more convenient for me.

I need to post more.

I'm really excited for new ponies.

um...yeah. >_>

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Don't think I'm going to catch the premier, but I'll try to catch it on Youtube after it's upload.
New 9:00AM EST runtime should be better for my chances in the morning.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
why don't people like fanfics? seriously. the fanfic-only mode on eqd is ridiculous. how could you call yourself a brony (who embraces love and tolerance) if you use that mode?
Fanfics are so boring though. If it's not canon, then why bother reading it? I know lots of people like them, but I just can't get into them. I do wanna read Espy's fanfic though, but only because of the fact that he wrote it.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Don't think I'm going to catch the premier, but I'll try to catch it on Youtube after it's upload.
New 9:00AM EST runtime should be better for my chances in the morning.
Um sorry if I was misunderstood
9:00AM is the old/current listing, you know, S2E01~03

Nopony knows the new times. yet

=

Also, awesome Luna shirt, PG. Can't wait for your other shirt to arrive.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Here's the shirt that just came in today.
<3333333333333333333333333333333

Looking positively fantastic.
Im jelly now.... wait, I've always been jelly cuz most fan-made merchadise won't ever deliver to Mexico, and if they do shipping is retardedly expensive....

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fanfics are so boring though. If it's not canon, then why bother reading it? I know lots of people like them, but I just can't get into them. I do wanna read Espy's fanfic though, but only because of the fact that he wrote it.
Half of the stories that have been written and published in real life are technically fanfics of the living, breathing world. Hamlet? Fanfiction. Lord of the Flies? Fanfiction. Catch-22? Pure, golden fanfiction. None of it is canon, why read it?

The answer is simple: Because storytelling is one of the most powerful mediums in the world, and the human race has been completely encapsulated within it since the dawn of time. Things don't need to be "real" to be enjoyable, and many, many people feel that way about certain subjects.

:applejack:

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I know it's not canon, but it's nice to be able to be exposed to the environment of the show outside of just the show itself, because there isn't near enough of that.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Half of the stories that have been written and published in real life are technically fanfics of the living, breathing world. Hamlet? Fanfiction. Lord of the Flies? Fanfiction. Catch-22? Pure, golden fanfiction. None of it is canon, why read it?
>comparing fanfiction to original fiction.

vZakat

Half Genie
The thing about fanfic sometimes it that they aren't actually good stories but are just riding on the coattails of canon for their success/appeal. I know there are some good ones out there but I'd rather just stick with canon and the people who are making a living out of story telling.

I haven't actually read any fanfic yet though. /random biased opinion

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Stories like the Twilight franchise ride on the coattails of successful, appealing, overused, otherworldly elements. It's a terrible series.
At the very least, read the reviews or the scores of a fanfic before you read it. Some fanfics are stupendous for their material. The entire Luna vs. series from EqD is simply amazing, and I wish and wish that it was canon because it's just so good.

I can't even agree with Gates' little comment because the badness of some original fiction surpasses that of fanfiction. People just don't hear of it often because NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION to original fiction that doesn't hit it big. :applejack;

Gates

Banned via Warnings
But there's still a fundamental difference between original fiction and fanfiction.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The difference being that fanfiction uses the characters, setting, or elements of the existing universe or setting of another piece of fiction without being licensed to use the intellectual property they originate from. Maybe the fanfiction uses new characters or takes liberties with existing characters (it probably does), maybe the setting is a new place in the universe, maybe the story is something that would never happen in the original piece of fiction for various reasons (Cupcakes anyone?), but the point is that it is borrowing enough from the source material that it is not completely original.

Original fiction is completely original. Well okay, maybe the story structure is similar to something else (Hero With A Thousand Faces and all that), but it uses original characters and settings.

You can have a science fiction epic on a desert planet where a young boy goes through the journey of a hero to discover his own mystical powers and it could be original fiction. But if you mention Melange or The Force it starts to fall into the category of fanfiction (unless you've been hired by the owners of those respective intellectual properties to create said story in which case it is shoehorned integrated into the existing canon) because those two specific things were created by somebody who is not you and therefore you are borrowing that element from them to use for your story.

Similarly, you could have a story about horses verbally communicating things to eachother and it would be original fiction, but if you start to bring up Equestria, Ponyville, unicorn magic, etc. then it's pretty obvious that it's a fanfic of MLP:FiM. You can create a new character or take the ponies to a new part of Equestria or introduce a new concept or species (sea ponies maybe?), but you're still operating within the MLP universe.

And don't give me some bull**** like the fact that Hamlet took place in an existing country in the real world. It could have taken place on the moon and it would have been more or less the same play because none of those characters ever actually existed. Same thing with bringing up stuff like the laws of physics being a concept borrowed from Newton.

Ryo242

Smash Ace
Hey some fanfic nutjobs are not THAT kind of nutjobs.
Ryo's waiting for one last go over of his recent ponyfic before submitting
as well as Espy's (which I just finished in between classes today) so I'll be sending a PM soon

My memories going haywire, but so far the only "snack" I can recall being eaten throughout the series is. Popcorn.
I got my friend to say he'll do another ridiculously thorough sweep, which should help me find places to fix description points, as well as tidy up the entire fic as well. Must make it perfect so that it gets put up on EqD without hassle this time around.

And I am a nut-job, but only because creativity and insanity go hand in hand.

There were smores.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
Stories like the Twilight franchise ride on the coattails of successful, appealing, overused, otherworldly elements. It's a terrible series.
At the very least, read the reviews or the scores of a fanfic before you read it. Some fanfics are stupendous for their material. The entire Luna vs. series from EqD is simply amazing, and I wish and wish that it was canon because it's just so good.
A good Luna fanfic eh?
I'll have to add that to my to-read list then.

As for fanfiction I haven't read much. Just a few not counting the fics I've read from SSG, Ryo, and Espy (speaking of which).
Also my reading of Memories Past has come to an unexpected screeching halt.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
lol, don't reply to Espy, guys. He's going to find one loophole in your argument and constantly call on that until you give up.

And if that fails, he'll slap you with a "You are 'X' so your argument is invalid." and get a group to help him out.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well Espy's a mod so it's not like I can put him on ignore list like I did with you, Dash.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Dude, I put Dash on my ignore list a while ago when I realized how much of a racist he was. I only checked his post that he made just now because I saw that it was the only new post in the thread.

I swear, this thread is only active when I'm not looking at it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I completely disagree with you, Gates, but all I'm going to say about the matter is that if you honestly believe that original stories don't borrow from "source material," then you need to...iunno, read some actual "original fiction," because there's really no barrier between fiction, and fanfiction by those means.

I'd rather not waste space in this thread on a pointless discussion though. Thread needs more ponies and less crap. :applejack:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
To clarify, Espy, I wasn't agreeing with Philomena saying that fanfics are boring and pointless, in fact there are some that I've enjoyed, but the way you were going about defending it was totally nonsensical. You were acting like there was no distinction whatsoever between fanfiction and other kinds of fiction when really there is.

I mean for god's sake, you compared fanfiction to ****ing Shakespeare. Seriously, dude?

What you SHOULD have been arguing is that although fanfiction is NOT canon, that doesn't matter because fanfics can still be intelligent and well written and enlighten readers to new ideas for your interpretation of the characters or the world. THAT should have been your argument, NOT slinging **** around at established literary classics.

And dude, that image is gigantic. Please, use some collapse tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom