• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Yeah, I was into Halo 2, heard about Smash through MLG, never bothered to really sit down and get competitive in Melee. Halo 3 sucked balls, so I started playing Brawl. And the Smash scene ended up being much better than the Halo scene.

john!

Smash Hero

And this is probably the best picture I've seen on Ponibooru all day:

*slow clop*

oh are we typing smash stories?

well i got smash 64 soon after it came out and played it a LOT with my friends. needless to say, we all got melee soon after its release and began playing that instead. being a kirby main back in 64, i used him for a while before unlocking falco. once he was unlocked, i decided he was the best character in the game, and used him instead.

fast forward to 2006. i occasionally play smash bros. but have largely moved on to other games. i decide to search google video (youtube wasn't really popular yet) for videos of other people playing falco. i find this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4521479354577467651#

this becomes my goal. after finding smashboards, i decide to practice tech skill and get as good as bombsoldier (who was a top player at the time). for the next few years, i practice tech skill for maybe a couple of hours a week on average. after practicing with all the top/high tier characters, i decide that i like how peach plays, and relegate falco to secondary status. brawl comes out during this time; we start playing it and i find some success as a g&w/olimar user. once i decided i was good enough (and once i was allowed to by my parents) i went to my first smash tournament in march '09, entering both melee and brawl.

i did okay in brawl, placing in the middle if the field, but i ended up beating some decent names in melee and decide to stick with that game (the melee community had shrunk during '08 after MLG dropped it, but was beginning to revive again thanks to grassroots efforts). today i play brawl casually, and i think it's fair to say that i'm a top level melee player in wisconsin and a decent melee player in illinois (probably the best melee state in the midwest).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

john!

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0gbNfd6Dg

That was my very, very first experience with Melee. I had played 64 once or twice as a kid, and when I saw that video, I thought, "cool, that looked awesome."
Then I played Melee, rewatched that video, thought I could play just as good, but didn't know about the ATs.

Then this happened, and the rest is history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
captain jack. now THAT is old school.

and yeah, wak's how to play was how i (and 75% of the community) learned advanced techs. legendary vids.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
oh, lol

SO

about those ponies
I'll say this about those ponies is that they're a bit difficult to draw well.

I do ok, but there are plenty others that go above and beyond what I do.
I swear I wanna know if there's a program/tool that makes some drawings look the way they do and if there's any trick to drawing straighter lines or it's just practicing.

So far I'm 3/3 with the artist training grounds thing on ED and I will say that they're better only by a tiny bit.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Okay, so I wasn't the only one.

I'll just use small details and say it involved a bit of blood/gore and my own thought out Pony I asked Zajice to draw.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I've had a few dreams based on ponies. I usually don't (remember my) dream(s) though.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Leaf's just mad he doesn't have any friends so he tries to project it onto others.

I'm your friend, Rei. We're gonna **** him next month. The power of friendship will see us through to victory!

john!

Smash Hero
walmart expedition #2
5/30/11 17:00

initial expedition was a failure. returned to girls' toy aisle two weeks later. initial reconnaissance yielded no results. further investigation revealed $15 pony 5-pack. only pegasus pony was celestia, whose skin was an odd shade of purple. possible manufacturer error; must investigate further. resisted impulse to buy due to lack of fluttershy/rainbow dash and a tight budget. will visit walmarts in wisconsin when i move there soon.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
theres a reason for a Pink celestia...

• Show Accuracy/Toy Accuracy: In order to be more appealing to girls, the toy versions of Princess Celestia are pink rather than white, and most toys of Applejack don't include her hat. (The ones that do make her hat light blue or pink instead of brown.)
    • Word Of God: "I must admit I'm disappointed Celestia is pink. I'm not sure why they went that way, but my experience with the toy industry (through my Galaxy Girls project) is that you often have to to bow to the will of the 'buyers' — the guys who decide what they are going to put on the shelf in their store. Often they will say things like 'I'll buy 50, but if you make it pink I'll buy 500' and since the toy company makes their profit from the buyer and not the consumer, it makes sense for them to compromise. It's a really stupid, frustrating business."
    • Speaking of which, most of the ponies that come with an animal pet don't have the same pets as seen in the show.
      • The biggest offender being Twilight who is lacking Spike and has an owl instead. The only toy of Spike that currently exists is part of a multi-character pack where half of the characters are missing.
      • Does Spike's jealousy over Owlowiscious in "Owl's Well That Ends Well" mean the toy was supposed to tie into the episode, or is that just the crew venting?
    • Since the toys were designed before the show, many of them have fairly little in common with their animated depictions—especially for more stylized characters such as Pinkie Pie. And because Lauren chose to assign different personalities to the show versions (and in some cases add wings to characters whose toys didn't have them), some of the box text can be humorously inaccurate.
    • Some of the European-exclusive ponies introduced in the toyline are recolors of the Mane Six, while the recolored artwork that appears on the package doesn't match the character the toy was based on. For instance, the toy of Blossomforth is Fluttershy with a white coat and a red-and-green mane, but the package artwork shows Rainbow Dash with the same colors.
    • Conversely, there are no toys of the background ponies who frequently appear on the show.
      • Including no male ponies whatsoever.

john!

Smash Hero

• Show Accuracy/Toy Accuracy: In order to be more appealing to girls, the toy versions of Princess Celestia are pink rather than white, and most toys of Applejack don't include her hat. (The ones that do make her hat light blue or pink instead of brown.)
    • Word Of God: "I must admit I'm disappointed Celestia is pink. I'm not sure why they went that way, but my experience with the toy industry (through my Galaxy Girls project) is that you often have to to bow to the will of the 'buyers' — the guys who decide what they are going to put on the shelf in their store. Often they will say things like 'I'll buy 50, but if you make it pink I'll buy 500' and since the toy company makes their profit from the buyer and not the consumer, it makes sense for them to compromise. It's a really stupid, frustrating business."
    • Speaking of which, most of the ponies that come with an animal pet don't have the same pets as seen in the show.
      • The biggest offender being Twilight who is lacking Spike and has an owl instead. The only toy of Spike that currently exists is part of a multi-character pack where half of the characters are missing.
      • Does Spike's jealousy over Owlowiscious in "Owl's Well That Ends Well" mean the toy was supposed to tie into the episode, or is that just the crew venting?
    • Since the toys were designed before the show, many of them have fairly little in common with their animated depictions—especially for more stylized characters such as Pinkie Pie. And because Lauren chose to assign different personalities to the show versions (and in some cases add wings to characters whose toys didn't have them), some of the box text can be humorously inaccurate.
    • Some of the European-exclusive ponies introduced in the toyline are recolors of the Mane Six, while the recolored artwork that appears on the package doesn't match the character the toy was based on. For instance, the toy of Blossomforth is Fluttershy with a white coat and a red-and-green mane, but the package artwork shows Rainbow Dash with the same colors.
    • Conversely, there are no toys of the background ponies who frequently appear on the show.
from tv tropes?

that spike toy pack was the one i found at walmart. i will investigate "blossomforth" for potential recoloring.

@espy: not **** if it's consensual, everypony knows that

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I asked my friend who works at McDonalds if there were any extra MLP happy meals toys in their back stock and unfortunately came up empty handed. :(

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

I'm ok with that.

It's understandable to see Hasbro's side of this as if they aren't going to produce every single Background Pony as an action figure. (although a Derpy figure would be pretty awesome)

Hasbro itself isn't going to market to us bronies, they are going to look for the true demographic of The Hub itself. Kids from 6-12. (I think)

All we can do is support Hasbro and help make FiM as successful as possible. That is beating it's competitors like Barbie and others.

We just need to show Faust, the writing staff and Hasbro itself support.

btw: Speaking of Hasbro + Awesome, I think Glover needs a ****ing show. I don't care how mediocre the game was, a mediocre show would be so amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom