• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
well he's not my dog so that's a bare faced lie

i assume you mean street fighter ryu? there is a lot of ryus
I think that he was referring to Street Fighter Ryu. He's been in a lot of crossovers over the years.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
can we expect Ryu coming in at some point?
recently he has been added to brawlhalla
Ryu getting into multiverse would pretty much expand his crossover status with warner bros and we possibly could finally have mortal kombat vs street fighter in some form if Scorpion gets in
That's a tricky one. Capcom is obviously willing to do crossovers with FtP games (as can be seen with Brawlhalla and Fortnite), but on the other hand Ryu is literally already in Smash (Brawlhalla is a different situation because everyone's a skin). It's even worse for Ryu because there's not really a lot of ways to interpret a Ryu moveset, it would invariably be pretty close to how he plays in Smash too. I think the likeliest outcome is that we get Street Fighter content, but not Ryu (or Ken). This option works out for everyone - the devs don't have to worry about a copyright strike from Nintendo and we get new characters in a platform fighting environment. Obviously Chun LI would be the first character added in this scenario, and characters like Guile, Blanka, Sakura, and new guy from SF6 are possible as secondary inclusions.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's a tricky one. Capcom is obviously willing to do crossovers with FtP games (as can be seen with Brawlhalla and Fortnite), but on the other hand Ryu is literally already in Smash (Brawlhalla is a different situation because everyone's a skin). It's even worse for Ryu because there's not really a lot of ways to interpret a Ryu moveset, it would invariably be pretty close to how he plays in Smash too. I think the likeliest outcome is that we get Street Fighter content, but not Ryu (or Ken). This option works out for everyone - the devs don't have to worry about a copyright strike from Nintendo and we get new characters in a platform fighting environment. Obviously Chun LI would be the first character added in this scenario, and characters like Guile, Blanka, Sakura, and new guy from SF6 are possible as secondary inclusions.
I don't think that they care that a character is already in Smash. Multiversus isn't a direct competitor to Smash. Hell it's not even on the Switch for crying out loud.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It's even worse for Ryu because there's not really a lot of ways to interpret a Ryu moveset, it would invariably be pretty close to how he plays in Smash too. I think the likeliest outcome is that we get Street Fighter content, but not Ryu (or Ken). This option works out for everyone - the devs don't have to worry about a copyright strike from Nintendo and we get new characters in a platform fighting environment. Obviously Chun LI would be the first character added in this scenario, and characters like Guile, Blanka, Sakura, and new guy from SF6 are possible as secondary inclusions.
That's not how copyright works. Just because Ryu was in Smash doesn't mean that Nintendo have rights on Ryu platform fighter moveset.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I think that's because Smash got Kazuya instead of Heihachi which makes people believe characters can't be in more than one platform fighter.

News flash people, Snake broke that rule years ago, he is in that weird platform game that also has transformers, i forget its name. Simon was also there and that didn't stop him from joining smash too.

So Ryu is actually likely. But given how everything is possible, he has the same chances as someone like walter white lol

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that's because Smash got Kazuya instead of Heihachi which makes people believe characters can't be in more than one platform fighter.

News flash people, Snake broke that rule years ago, he is in that weird platform game that also has transformers, i forget its name. Simon was also there and that didn't stop him from joining smash too.

So Ryu is actually likely. But given how everything is possible, he has the same chances as someone like walter white lol
And PSASBR got Raiden instead of Snake. And it's why me (and many others) are against the idea of Nickelodeon characters joining Multiversus.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't think that they care that a character is already in Smash. Multiversus isn't a direct competitor to Smash. Hell it's not even on the Switch for crying out loud.

That's not how copyright works. Just because Ryu was in Smash doesn't mean that Nintendo have rights on Ryu platform fighter moveset.
It's not that PFG would care if a character is already in Smash, it's that Nintendo (infamously cease-and-desist happy) would care that a character is in Multiversus, with a moveset remarkably similar to their Smash one. Obviously Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Ryu in a platform fighter, but they might have a mild amount of ownership over his moveset. While most other third parties have enough content to be able to get a new moveset, circumventing this issue, there really isn't much left on the table to give an alternate take on Ryu. It would probably be easier to just add different Street Fighter characters to circumvent this issue altogether

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's not that PFG would care if a character is already in Smash, it's that Nintendo (infamously cease-and-desist happy) would care that a character is in Multiversus, with a moveset remarkably similar to their Smash one. Obviously Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Ryu in a platform fighter, but they might have a mild amount of ownership over his moveset. While most other third parties have enough content to be able to get a new moveset, circumventing this issue, there really isn't much left on the table to give an alternate take on Ryu. It would probably be easier to just add different Street Fighter characters to circumvent this issue altogether
Nintendo do not own how Ryu fights.
Come on now.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Ryu in smash is his SFII moveset with a focus attack from IV. That's it

MVS could add more things. Maybe have a super meter that allows him to use super moves. Or have a parry like in 3rd strike days, i don't think this game has a parry character.

It's impressive how narrow minded people can be just because another game did it first.

KatKit

Smash Lord
They don't own his moveset. Ryu is a Capcom character who fights similarly in everything, but let's entertain the argument anyway for fun, I guess. This game is a 2v2 centric fighter with special move cooldowns, team abilities, equippable perks,
multiple air-dashes, passive skills, chargeable aerial attacks, no block button, etc. He'd play nothing like his Smash self because this is a different game with completely different mechanics. His moveset would be a lot more straightforward, too, because there's simply less buttons to push. And because it's a 2v2 centric fighter, he also most likely won't have his always face forward gimmick. There's also the fact that they can use several attacks he's had in games other than SF2 and SFIV that aren't in Smash

With that being said, I think Sakura or Akira would make more sense because of Rival Schools shenanigans and popularity (in Sakura's case), ahaha. Or Morrigan because she's an awesome go-to crossover character and her MvC stuff would fit perfectly with this game's mechanics

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel pretty bad to hear how you are feeling for Godzilla
It's not my fault at how infamously stingy Toho can be with their property. In fact I'm surprised they even let this happen to begin with, hence why Godzilla is certainly high on the list to be cut out.

As I mentioned, when it comes to Toho. You have to be very careful with them whether it's a deal, ownership or whatever as things could eventually fall through.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
It's not my fault at how infamously stingy Toho can be with their property. In fact I'm surprised they even let this happen to begin with, hence why Godzilla is certainly high on the list to be cut out.

As I mentioned, when it comes to Toho. You have to be very careful with them whether it's a deal, ownership or whatever as things could eventually fall through.
I guess it's something to consider, i'll try to hold on hope for Godzilla getting in the game since my brother has wanted in & he's worried he'll be disappointed if The Big G gets cut.

KatKit

Smash Lord

Okay, but like, this exists:

I don't think ya have anything to worry about. Really. Be a little more optimistic, fam. I mean, he's in Call of Duty, of all things, ahaha

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Gandalf and Harry Potter couldn't make the cut. I don't see how better Godzilla's chances are honestly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only known example of Toho being anal about Godzilla is with the ****ty 1998 American film and that was entirely because the film was bad the portrayal of Godzilla was awful.
They aren't even remotely as close to being weird about rights as Tolkien's estate are
Toho also went after Subway after advertising a Godzilla-like monster for one of their commercials or something.

Or such the case with Media Blasters where they apparently learned the hard way.

Also

Simply put Toho is hard to negotiate with. Why just one wrong move from WB could get Godzilla cut eventually.[/URL]

Last edited:

ShinGojira

Banned via Warnings
flaming

STOP ****ING SAYING TOHO IS STINGY.

It IS your fault that you keep spreading this false narrative and making yourself look bad as a Godzilla fan.

Toho practically whores Godzilla out nowadays with several various mobile game collaborations (including Dragon Quest, Monster Strike, SymphoGear, etc.) Call of Duty, Fall Guys, PUBG, Magic the Gathering, etc. and you have the sheer AUDACITY to keep spamming about how "stingy" Toho is?
Do you not even know what the word stingy means? No seriously, do you actually know what the word you keep spewing means?
It means an unwillingness to give or spend. Toho is FAR from "stingy" if they keep doing all these ****ing collabs.

So please, do some actual ****ing research before you pretend to be a Godzilla fan. A real one like me gets sick of seeing your bull while lurking.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
STOP ****ING SAYING TOHO IS STINGY.

It IS your fault that you keep spreading this false narrative and making yourself look bad as a Godzilla fan.

Toho practically whores Godzilla out nowadays with several various mobile game collaborations (including Dragon Quest, Monster Strike, SymphoGear, etc.) Call of Duty, Fall Guys, PUBG, Magic the Gathering, etc. and you have the sheer AUDACITY to keep spamming about how "stingy" Toho is?
Do you not even know what the word stingy means? No seriously, do you actually know what the word you keep spewing means?
It means an unwillingness to give or spend. Toho is FAR from "stingy" if they keep doing all these ****ing collabs.

So please, do some actual ****ing research before you pretend to be a Godzilla fan. A real one like me gets sick of seeing your bull while lurking.
It seems as though you've just joined this site recently as if just so you could quote me. Strange...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Alright the current topic has gotten out of hand, let’s move on.

Of the current roster, who is everyone’s favorite/least favorite to use?
Big fan of Bugs Bunny and Velma. Both are so fun to use. At first I feared that Velma and other support would be bad in 1 vs 1 but the balancing is actually pretty good.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Graggle simpson, but everytime i use him i get banned. Weird...
Genuine question: who even is Graggle Simpson?

I keep seeing that name appear and think to myself “what’s a Graggle Simpson?”

In other news, Multiversus Ambassadors are now a thing.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Random thought I had whilst eating beans on toast for lunch: I feel like a potentially very fun, but simultaneously very bizarre, pick for the game could be Rod Serling (from The Twilight Zone.) I picture his moveset working with him being a sort of paranormal amalgamation of various different concepts and phenomena seen in the original show, all combined in a slightly odd package in the form of Serling himself! Also, random point: his default appearance should be in black and white.

I'm not sure what the general take on non-WB properties is here (given that The Twilight Zone was a CBS show) but I think he'd be cool!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Community Challenge is now live:

10 million ringouts as a community unlocks a Rick and Morty inspired stage!

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Random thought I had whilst eating beans on toast for lunch: I feel like a potentially very fun, but simultaneously very bizarre, pick for the game could be Rod Serling (from The Twilight Zone.) I picture his moveset working with him being a sort of paranormal amalgamation of various different concepts and phenomena seen in the original show, all combined in a slightly odd package in the form of Serling himself! Also, random point: his default appearance should be in black and white.

I'm not sure what the general take on non-WB properties is here (given that The Twilight Zone was a CBS show) but I think he'd be cool!
Yoooo, this reminded me of a Scooby-Doo character inspired by real life horror-film actor Vincent Price: Vincent Van Ghoul

20220729_104942.jpg

(Yeah, he kinda looks like Dr. Strange, too, so that's cool, ahaha)

There's two different versions of the character in the Scooby-Doo universe. One with magical abilities, and one who's an actor that would have a moveset that's very similar to the one you described!

osby

Smash Obsessed

My favorites are Wonder Woman and Reindog. My least favorite is Superman, I can't explain why but he feels awkward.

Note that I only played a few characters other than them.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So what happens to the Battle Pass points you earn after you get all the rewards? Do they save up and carry over for the next one or are they useless?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Likes: Tom & Jerry (Main), Bugs Bunny, Velma and Harley Quinn

Dislikes: Wonder Woman, she's honestly really meh.

All the other characters are inbetween.

(I haven't tried out Batman and Arya at the moment.)

Anyways, god I'd love to have a character from Team Fortress 2 in MultiVersus. Preferably the Heavy, tho I wouldn't mind others like the Pyro, Soldier or Engineer. We already have Portal content in Lego Dimensions, so is there some hope for me?

Heavy could easily be a Tank, while Engineer could be Support. Scout could be an Assassin, with fast movement and a ball projectile. And he could have a Signature Perk where the ball projectile stuns people when they get hit. (only from far away)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Currently, The game left me with Superman, Wonder Woman, Finn, Reindog, and Garnet.
I Unlocked Bugs and Taz & Have Started to understand the basics of how this game is.

So Far My Most Played or Favorite Fighters are Wonder Woman, Bugs Bunny, Tasmanian Devil, and Finn

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Again, the new Rick and Morty stage is a bit disappointing. I don't know a lot about Rick and Morty, but for a sci-fi franchise that is know for is weird and crazy premise and that is about visiting different planets and universe, I was expecting more than a flat platforms with a bunch of head in the background.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Again, the new Rick and Morty stage is a bit disappointing. I don't know a lot about Rick and Morty, but for a sci-fi franchise that is know for is weird and crazy premise and that is about visiting different planets and universe, I was expecting more than a flat platforms with a bunch of head in the background.
The heads being static 2D clip art doesn't help.

I don't even like Rick and Morty, but I was expecting more from a stage from it than another Batcave/Treehouse.

Top Bottom