• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll believe it when I see it. But if this is true, I wonder who the second character is. There seems to be a lot of possibilities, assuming we go for a matching theme here.
In a reply he showed a screenshot of the data itself listing the character name and then a Season 4 label.

Of note, the exact thing has happened previously: it's how we knew 100% that the Powerpuff Girls were season three.

Donaldtoon

Smash Apprentice
Has anybody think Freddy Krueger is coming more soon than we thought? aside the teaser from the season 3 trailer Freddy is always defeated by womans and the upcoming characters are gonna be female characters

In a reply he showed a screenshot of the data itself listing the character name and then a Season 4 label.

Of note, the exact thing has happened previously: it's how we knew 100% that the Powerpuff Girls were season three.
Good to know, but if I learned anything from Smash speculation, it's never to trust someone on the Internet. coughGrinchLeakcough

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Good to know, but if I learned anything from Smash speculation, it's never to trust someone on the Internet. coughGrinchLeakcough
I mean...it's literally in the data. It's not something you can lie about, and the person doing the datamining has been doing it since the beta days.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'ma just say this: After Marceline, no more Adventure Time for a really long time please. 3 characters in a roster this size is already pushing it, but it's going to have more fighters than Looney Tunes for awhile and as the literal WB mascot show that just absolutely baffles me.

I've not seen all of the show, but to be completely frank: Adventure Time is just okay. It's not bad, it's fun, but there are plenty of shows I think are infinitely better.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who said Banana Guard is the reason they're putting off those two? Or that they are being put off in the first place?
I'm pretty sure it was a response to the general idea of "Adventure Time has four characters already, so let's pump the breaks" that Capybara posted. I.e., the series only has four characters already because of the decision to add Banana Guard as the token joke character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so how many of you know Bertie Bassett? I saw pic of him done up as Beetleguise. it'd make a fantastic alt

having trouble finding a pic

Last edited:
Who said Banana Guard is the reason they're putting off those two? Or that they are being put off in the first place?
I'm responding to the idea and request of putting off Adventure Time characters for a while after Marceline. Which I'll happy blame BG for since if he wasn't added, Marceline would've been the first new AT character since alpha. Much more natural and fair to me and there'd be less demands to slow AT down.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Adventure time is easily one of the more popular and succesful shows of modern CN. Look how well the Fiona and Cake show did. So if any franchise deserves that many slots, its probably AT.

And maybe we shouldnt gatekeep some characters due to an arbitrary number of reps.

Adventure time is easily one of the more popular and succesful shows of modern CN. Look how well the Fiona and Cake show did. So if any franchise deserves that many slots, its probably AT.

And maybe we shouldnt gatekeep some characters due to an arbitrary number of reps.
At the same time, playing devil's advocate. You have to admit that it's crazy how we're getting 4 AT characters so swiftly while similar successful characters have 0 (zero) reps. Not a single Gumball or Regular Show character. A little lopsided in terms of love among Cartoon Network's characters ngl.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I’ve theorized that Adventure Time has so much stuff in the game because it’s probably the IP with the least amount of mandates and restrictions, so it’s easier to work with.
I’d be good with more characters anyway, AT has a great cast. Besides, wasn’t there data for Fionna in the last datamine?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm pretty sure it was a response to the general idea of "Adventure Time has four characters already, so let's pump the breaks" that Capybara posted. I.e., the series only has four characters already because of the decision to add Banana Guard as the token joke character.
I mean I'll maintain I still think that even without BG I still think the representation is a little biased towards it. This is an all of WB crossover and there are only four CN shows repped already split amongst 8 characters and four of those are from the same show. If it was just all CN from this size I'd say "ok yeah sure four makes sense" but there are so many huge unrepped CN cartoons here, not to even mention the shows, films, games etc. that WB also owns. No series, not even DC I think, should be taking up this much space on a roster of this current size with the potential scope of series that could be represented.

Not to mention it really wasn't that long ago we got BG. I'd rather them have waited a year after to put in Marceline and gotten some of the other Datamined characters, or even some more surprised first. Daffy still not being here blows my mind and not in the good way

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Representation is never not going to be lopsided. It's a WB crossover where they keep jumping around from CN, to DC to live action films, etc.

We can go on all day about Scooby and Daffy and however many other potential "should already be there" characters, but it's pretty clear that isn't how PFG is doing things.

Whatever the method to their madness is, it's just not something we're likely ever going to be privy to. Well, outside of the blatant promotional stuff, but even then Shazam and Beetlejuice are still notable characters regardless of their use as a means of advertising other projects.

Overall though, 4 characters really isn't that big of a deal imo, especially considering the circumstances surrounding BGs inclusion.

There might be a point to be made if we suddenly got data for IK and BP coming in seasons 5 and 6 back to back, but I highly doubt thats going to be the case.

I'm sure they'll slowly round out the Looney Toons and start adding other CN stuff. I mean they already are but characters are such a slow drip feed that it's going to take a looong while.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
My take on Marceline is that while I agree that I would much rather have other CN shows represented instead of already dipping in side characters from already represented shows, from my understanding Marceline was very requested and I'm sure she will have a very fun moveset so I can't really be mad at her inclusion.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Marceline is like Byleth. In a vaccuum an amazing choice that people would love if not for a previous character from the same franchise coming out that wasn't as well received (BG is our Corrin)

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Marceline is a great character so I'm not complaining about her at all. I agree the CN representation is lopsided; I would've gone with four characters from different cartoons in the base roster, rather than two from one cartoon and two from another.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Marceline is a great character so I'm not complaining about her at all. I agree the CN representation is lopsided; I would've gone with four characters from different cartoons in the base roster, rather than two from one cartoon and two from another.
To be fair I can understand why they did it that way in the base roster because early marketing was really pushing the 2 vs 2 aspect of the game. I would also argue that Jake is pretty much as popular as Finn so he's not really out of place (I'm not sure how popular Garnet is because I never really got into Steven Universe).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair I can understand why they did it that way in the base roster because early marketing was really pushing the 2 vs 2 aspect of the game. I would also argue that Jake is pretty much as popular as Finn so he's not really out of place (I'm not sure how popular Garnet is because I never really got into Steven Universe).
she was popular

ivanlerma

Smash Master
This hasn't been brought up before but what would you guys think of changing stages for previous rift mode levels to either accurately portray the characters' home stages or accurately fit with the story?

Say the first jason rift mode level replaces the scooby mansion with the gremlins theatre or agent smith's rift mode including a matrix stage in the near future, someone should request that to player first games.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This hasn't been brought up before but what would you guys think of changing stages for previous rift mode levels to either accurately portray the characters' home stages or accurately fit with the story?

Say the first jason rift mode level replaces the scooby mansion with the gremlins theatre or agent smith's rift mode including a matrix stage in the near future, someone should request that to player first games.
I kinda doubt they'll be going back to change stages for old rift levels. More likely that they just continue using what they have as best they can. Plus, with the whole crossover aspect anyone can appear anywhere anyway.

I do have to ask how much of story there even is though.

I tend to read a few text boxes for some matches and dialogue mash for others tbh. The dialogue just isn't all that interesting and some of it even feels out of character imo. Or maybe some of the writing is just a bit stiff/flat? At least that's what it feels like.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Considering they won't even go back to fix the alarming amount of typos in Rifts, I highly doubt they'd go back and edit the stages (outside of cases like that one season one mission that required you to KO someone into the bottom blast zone...on a walk off).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Does it bother anyone else that Mojo Jojo is still just a silhouette behind glass for his boss fight? I would have thought that would be the perfect time to un-tint the glass and reveal his model in full color.

Also it kind of bothers me that we have two stages now (Water Tower and Titan's Tower) where instead of featuring cameos that are appropriate for what the stage is based on, we just get the game's playable roster in places that don't make sense. Animaniacs characters should be popping out of the water tower when you open the door and it should be Cyborg and Beast Boy playing games in Titan's Tower. They could still even be playable later on and I don't think anyone would mind. It just feels... OK I won't say it's lazy per say but it's at the very least disappointing.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Has anybody think Freddy Krueger is coming more soon than we thought? aside the teaser from the season 3 trailer Freddy is always defeated by womans and the upcoming characters are gonna be female characters
I think we could see him in Season 5. Season 4 is probably going to be Marceline and Wicked Witch. That would leave Aquaman and Raven as the last characters we know have heavy work - but I doubt they would give us two DC characters in the same season, so we're probably going to see one of them pushed to S6 and someone with less work in Season 5. Could be Scooby or Ruby or Dexter, but them actively hinting at Freddy makes me think it'll be him.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Does it bother anyone else that Mojo Jojo is still just a silhouette behind glass for his boss fight? I would have thought that would be the perfect time to un-tint the glass and reveal his model in full color.

Also it kind of bothers me that we have two stages now (Water Tower and Titan's Tower) where instead of featuring cameos that are appropriate for what the stage is based on, we just get the game's playable roster in places that don't make sense. Animaniacs characters should be popping out of the water tower when you open the door and it should be Cyborg and Beast Boy playing games in Titan's Tower. They could still even be playable later on and I don't think anyone would mind. It just feels... OK I won't say it's lazy per say but it's at the very least disappointing.
I can sorta forgive the stage cameos, but the fact that they couldn't even draw Mojo for the damn Rift background and announcer pack icon drives me up the wall.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Unironically I think it was done to avoid people thinking "background characters = never going to be playable."

Despite the fact that we have Banana Guard who was an upgraded NPC and literally nothing has ever stopped any game from upgrading an NPC to playable...people are very dumb, and the dumbest are often the loudest.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think we could see him in Season 5. Season 4 is probably going to be Marceline and Wicked Witch. That would leave Aquaman and Raven as the last characters we know have heavy work - but I doubt they would give us two DC characters in the same season, so we're probably going to see one of them pushed to S6 and someone with less work in Season 5. Could be Scooby or Ruby or Dexter, but them actively hinting at Freddy makes me think it'll be him.
I just want Gandalf and Daffy to happen pretty soon. IMO they were the only characters who should have been in the game at launch that weren't.

Also considering S4 happens over the Christmas season (in all likelihood) It would be really nice if we got more than two characters for that particular season.
Unironically I think it was done to avoid people thinking "background characters = never going to be playable."

Despite the fact that we have Banana Guard who was an upgraded NPC and literally nothing has ever stopped any game from upgrading an NPC to playable...people are very dumb, and the dumbest are often the loudest.
I can kind of get behind that but considering the likelihood of them going and changing the cameos to something more appropriate later is slim to none (they haven't even added more Trophies to Trophy's Edge) I do wish they had just done it in the first place.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Mojo is blurred because they are probably planning him to be a future playable character, or at least to not rule him out.

They are not against using characters as background, Jake and Shaggy just show up in the Titans tower for whatever reason. That or probably fully-modeling mojo might actually impact the framerate of the map

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mojo actually has a hand drawn 2D render inside the saucer as opposed to a model, which makes sense, but is still disappointing. That's likely why they didn't want to show him - they probably don't have a render in art style.

Top Bottom