• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wouldn't say people love R.O.B...
I feel like you don't have to look very far on this website to find people who love R.O.B. If you mean the general public, then maybe phrase it differently.

Last edited:
Well that was a bit of hyperbole, but I get what you’re saying.

I can see what you mean with DC, though I feel like there’s probably bound to be some sort of limit imposed given DC is one IP split into multiple branches while CN is multiple individual IP under a brand name. We can be pedantic and say Superman, Batman, Teen Titans etc are all separate works but as far as the general public is concerned, they’re all “DC characters” since they all exist in one world.

I don’t think WB’s entire film library is on the table as much as its TV library is but then I’m not a film buff by any means, I could be totally wrong. Though they don’t own Jason so they’re already poking into third parties.
DC getting a hard limit would be nonsensical when they're some of the MOST requested characters to get in the game. And characters like Blue Beetle are still getting movies and stuff centered around the character. DC's spots are limitless and realistically should last as long as the game will last.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Most DC requests tend to be either Justice league members and a lot of batman rogues.

Reminds me of injustice given how batman centric those two rosters are

Most DC requests tend to be either Justice league members and a lot of batman rogues.

Reminds me of injustice given how batman centric those two rosters are
True. But the requests are still decently plentiful in amount. People want Darkseid, people want literally all of the Teen Titans + some side chars from the same show, people want Static Shock, people want Poison Ivy, people want the Justice League (which is vast enough since cool characters like Zatanna count in that category). Hell, the demand for Shazam increased once the masses saw his nemesis get added before him, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I just want Red X from the cartoon but we don't even have Robin yet and who knows when he'll get added.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True. But the requests are still decently plentiful in amount. People want Darkseid, people want literally all of the Teen Titans + some side chars from the same show, people want Static Shock, people want Poison Ivy, people want the Justice League (which is vast enough since cool characters like Zatanna count in that category). Hell, the demand for Shazam increased once the masses saw his nemesis get added before him, etc. etc.
Honestly the poll's strange omissions (and there are a lot lmao) weigh it against DC in a way. Like the poll doesn't even have fan favorite DC characters like John Constantine or Plastic Man. I'd wager they'd have done rather well had they been included.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I just want Red X from the cartoon but we don't even have Robin yet and who knows when he'll get added.
insert lebron robin skin

Darkseid would be dope AF. I always see the 4MVS account for him all the time and he's probably second to Muscle man's in terms of persistance

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Speaking of Hannah barbera got me thinking, do you all think we'll ever get the original characters that have leaked back in the beta? I'm talking like Fred Flinstones, Johnny Bravo, Craig of the creek, Static shock, Poison Ivy and Emmet. I feel like Fred Flinststones must come eventually, Johnny Bravo I feel like he' a "when" too, but I could see being delayed to make priority for more popular CN characters like Jack and PPG. Static Shock and Poison Ivy I'm not too sure, but I feel like they might come eventually, but maybe Static was put lower priority in favor of Nubia. Craig and Emmet I could see them being cut entierely, I feel like we had nothing for those characters for ages and the team might have saw they weren't super popular.
Fred Flintstone and Bravo where never actually in the files. They where on a text leak that has since been kinda torn apart. I do think he and Mad Max (also on that leak) will happen if the game last along enough though.

Ivy I could see, connected to Harley and has a pretty unique power and pretty popular. Static I think might happen down the line. Emmet I don't think we'll see, and Craig I just know nothing about.

I do think Daenerys has a decent chance but I don't really see the Hound actually happening nor do I think it as good choice.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I disagree with your comparison to Rocko - I watched the same amount of classic Nick, Disney, and CN as a kid and the shows from those networks always stuck out more. The Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry all have remained in the public conscious because they are funny and/or well written.
My comparison was not based in Rocko's quality, but rather its age and popularity - Rocko was a cult show that spawned very little merchandise during its time on air, and is over 30 years old, it is naturally entering the phase of a non-major corporate intellectual property's lifespan where the nostalgia's dried up and now it's just a 60+ year dormancy until the copyright lapses, so it's hard to find others invested in it and merch/crossover appearances are going to slow down - the same fate has already set in for a majority of Hanna-Barbera's IPs - Magilla Gorilla was not forgotten for being a "bad show", it was forgotten because it's old and not a ubiquitous piece of pop culture like Scoob/Flintstones/e.t.c. - just like how nobody really talks about the old Jay Ward cartoons anymore, which are universally renowned as clever and working on two levels, making them fit neatly into the silly idea of "objective quality". Or even look at it in reverse, He-Man is over 40 years old and even acknowledged by its fans as being poorly animated and written, but remains relevant today because of its ubiquity. Original Cartoon Network shows haven't reached this point yet (only one 90s CN show failed to reach the 2000s, and Cartoon Cartoons only even started to exist in the latter half of the decade) but they will eventually as the majority of 2000s kids outgrow nostalgia, just like Hanna-Barbera's toons, it says nothing about a work's quality if can't still be mainstream 3+ decades later, and more boring business things - marketing during the original run, modern day licensing and who it targets, accessiblity on modern platforms, how reboots have been handled, so on.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Speaking of Hannah barbera got me thinking, do you all think we'll ever get the original characters that have leaked back in the beta? I'm talking like Fred Flinstones, Johnny Bravo, Craig of the creek, Static shock, Poison Ivy and Emmet. I feel like Fred Flinststones must come eventually, Johnny Bravo I feel like he' a "when" too, but I could see being delayed to make priority for more popular CN characters like Jack and PPG. Static Shock and Poison Ivy I'm not too sure, but I feel like they might come eventually, but maybe Static was put lower priority in favor of Nubia. Craig and Emmet I could see them being cut entierely, I feel like we had nothing for those characters for ages and the team might have saw they weren't super popular.
Really late to this but here's the rundown on their status:

Craig and Static were some loose strings that seemingly got shuffled around. They might show up later, Static might have some hope with Phil Lamarr already on board.

Emmet was one the very early strings that probably has been thrown out. I think Godzilla and Legolas were found alognside him.

Johnny, Fred and Mad Max were an early leak from Hugeleakeractually but they seemingly didn't pan out.

Ivy is actually still on the cards, Batman has lines against her, so at least that's a future proofed lines in case they want to work on her. She's also referenced a lot in the dialogue of Dr. Quinzel, but that's akin to a name drop.

Speaking of DC in MVS, even the comic continues to prove that MVS is one of the coolest/best things to happen to DC representation wise. I never would have guessed Miracle and Barda's obscure child would get a main starring role and redesign in the plot down to her getting to interact with Bugs Bunny lmao. That's so wild.
22.jpg

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Speaking of DC in MVS, even the comic continues to prove that MVS is one of the coolest/best things to happen to DC representation wise. I never would have guessed Miracle and Barda's obscure child would get a main starring role and redesign in the plot down to her getting to interact with Bugs Bunny lmao. That's so wild.
View attachment 394443
Wicked Witch isn't in the issue so we still got time for her to show up before her appearance, I guess.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
On the contrary, if they want this game to survive long term, they should really be spreading out the big names. If they get all the iconic everybody-knows-em characters out of the way too fast and then be forced to dig for leftovers in the remainder, that would kill the game quicker than one A-lister and one smaller character every season.

I actually like the idea of putting characters like Nubia as a side dish with big in-your-face famous characters like The Powerpuff Girls because it's basically allowing them to slip in a "didn't know I wanted it" character alongside the one everyone's going to be focusing on, AND because it means they aren't running out of Steve in Smash level picks too quickly.

Like I want Daffy now, he's in my top three, hell, top two now that the PPG are accounted for, but if the game's survival hangs on waiting a while for him, so be it.
As I've said before, they will literally never run out of A-listers. You could do 100+ characters and still have plenty left over.

...since when is Zatanna not considered a member of the League?

Honestly I love Batman but we can't have all our villains being from one guy's Rogue's Gallery. Superman and WW both should get a villain (which only makes Nubia feel weirder).

Ahhhhhh **** now I want Boondocks in this game
Aren't the Boondocks based on a comic? I'm pretty sure they aren't owned fully by WB.

My comparison was not based in Rocko's quality, but rather its age and popularity - Rocko was a cult show that spawned very little merchandise during its time on air, and is over 30 years old, it is naturally entering the phase of a non-major corporate intellectual property's lifespan where the nostalgia's dried up and now it's just a 60+ year dormancy until the copyright lapses, so it's hard to find others invested in it and merch/crossover appearances are going to slow down - the same fate has already set in for a majority of Hanna-Barbera's IPs - Magilla Gorilla was not forgotten for being a "bad show", it was forgotten because it's old and not a ubiquitous piece of pop culture like Scoob/Flintstones/e.t.c. - just like how nobody really talks about the old Jay Ward cartoons anymore, which are universally renowned as clever and working on two levels, making them fit neatly into the silly idea of "objective quality". Or even look at it in reverse, He-Man is over 40 years old and even acknowledged by its fans as being poorly animated and written, but remains relevant today because of its ubiquity. Original Cartoon Network shows haven't reached this point yet (only one 90s CN show failed to reach the 2000s, and Cartoon Cartoons only even started to exist in the latter half of the decade) but they will eventually as the majority of 2000s kids outgrow nostalgia, just like Hanna-Barbera's toons, it says nothing about a work's quality if can't still be mainstream 3+ decades later, and more boring business things - marketing during the original run, modern day licensing and who it targets, accessiblity on modern platforms, how reboots have been handled, so on.
I see the inverse - the fact that the Flintstones, Scooby, etc. are still in public consciousness is due to their quality and staying power. Agree to disagree.

We've all got disagreements on this, but as I've said multiple times at this point, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting Atom Ant or what have you, but you should probably accept the fact it's not happening. I'd love to see characters like Sly Cooper and Heavy in Smash, but if your expectations are too lofty, you'll wind up disappointed.

Quick-Draw and Secret Squirrel would be dope - I like their cartoons (even if QD's sidekick seems uh... a little stereotypical, to put it lightly) but I just don't see them happening. Frankly, and it's sad that I say this - I genuinely don't think Fred Flintstone is even getting in for a longtime. He should've been in since the beginning, but there's minimal demand for him. I'd even say.... I think it's pretty likely the game dies before they get around to him. Even if we get three years of content past this point.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Speaking of how Fred Flintstone should be in the game, they could add him and use Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles to market the game. With games like Overwatch and COD and whatever advertising on chips and soda, etc . I feel like that's a huge missed opportunity right there. They could even do the whole schtick of earning in game rewards from a code in the box or something.

I regularly see Mario, Pikmin and Animal Crossing on stuff like Capri Sun and lunchables at the grocery store. Why aren't they doing any additional marketing when they have characters as marketable as Batman and Bugs Bunny?

As I've said before, they will literally never run out of A-listers. You could do 100+ characters and still have plenty left over.

Honestly I love Batman but we can't have all our villains being from one guy's Rogue's Gallery. Superman and WW both should get a villain (which only makes Nubia feel weirder).

Aren't the Boondocks based on a comic? I'm pretty sure they aren't owned fully by WB.

I see the inverse - the fact that the Flintstones, Scooby, etc. are still in public consciousness is due to their quality and staying power. Agree to disagree.

We've all got disagreements on this, but as I've said multiple times at this point, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting Atom Ant or what have you, but you should probably accept the fact it's not happening. I'd love to see characters like Sly Cooper and Heavy in Smash, but if your expectations are too lofty, you'll wind up disappointed.

Quick-Draw and Secret Squirrel would be dope - I like their cartoons (even if QD's sidekick seems uh... a little stereotypical, to put it lightly) but I just don't see them happening. Frankly, and it's sad that I say this - I genuinely don't think Fred Flintstone is even getting in for a longtime. He should've been in since the beginning, but there's minimal demand for him. I'd even say.... I think it's pretty likely the game dies before they get around to him. Even if we get three years of content past this point.
I'm saying that Zatanna counts as a Justice League request since JL is very vast and she's apart of the team. And honestly? Nubia's fairly valuable since MVS is a 2v2 game allows Wonder Woman to have a partner from her own series with Nubia having modern appearances as protagonist to boot. She's not that weird of a choice in terms of WW picks. Batman's going to inevitably have supporting characters from his series, specifically Robin.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman

What about the good points Wariowariowario made about Jay Ward & He-Man.

Also, comparing Sly & Heavy to Atom Ant is a bit ridiculous. Atleast Atom Ant is 1st party

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well for Supes, he's got a good number of villains that are notable, between Lex Luthor, Brainiac, General Zod, Bizarro and Doomsday. There's also Darkseid, but he tends to be more so the Justice League's archenemy rather than just Superman's.
Wonder Woman, not so much. I think Ares tends to be her most notable foe, although Cheetah has been appearing more and more lately. I've heard she tends to be considered WW's archenemy, though from most of her appearances I've seen, she more than often is a secondary fiddle to a more dangerous foe.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Master
View attachment 394443
There's plenty of other DC characters shown or mentioned here.
-Shown in the Comic: Lois Lane, Killer Croc, and Cheetara.
-Mentioned: Steve Trevor(I wonder if he and diane are dating).

There's plenty of other DC characters shown or mentioned here.
-Shown in the Comic: Lois Lane, Killer Croc, and Cheetara.
-Mentioned: Steve Trevor(I wonder if he and diane are dating).
That's all great, it's just those are all mainstays and no brainers. When has Avia EVER been featured in anything relevant ever? Clearly not much since I couldn't find anything noteworthy in her portfolio. MVS easily has some of the best DC representation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think you're vastly overestimating this. I don't do this that frequently, man
that shows a severe lack of self awareness

You and I have had this song and dance about objective quality before - I know I'm not going to change your mind - but it absolutely does exist.
you're gonna spend all your time on the internet arguing with people

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most characters should to be honest. I've always hated the size increase. It makes stages feel super crowded.
This one change is also what made the Iron Giant go from the third worst character in the beta to Top 2 at minimum.

Increasing the character size while keeping the stage size the same straight up broke the Giant.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This one change is also what made the Iron Giant go from the third worst character in the beta to Top 2 at minimum.

Increasing the character size while keeping the stage size the same straight up broke the Giant.
You know what I never thought of that, but that makes total sense. IG in beta was... well, he at least felt fair to fight. He has not felt fair even once in the full release. His up air is stupidly strong because of the closer blast zones

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Most characters should to be honest. I've always hated the size increase. It makes stages feel super crowded.
That's definitely fair and I agree with it. But also Jack canonically is a bit on the short side, so him being such a towering behemoth (he's the same height as friggin Jason!) looks really weird.

Rarely any games stick to canon height, much less crossover fighters. Samurai Jack's bigger since it fits his moveset and animation-work while still working well enough.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
That's definitely fair and I agree with it. But also Jack canonically is a bit on the short side, so him being such a towering behemoth (he's the same height as friggin Jason!) looks really weird.
Shrinking him down would also require him to be more mindful of his spacing, which right now he doesn't really have to with his sword. Benefits all around, I say.

Guess they took the Wano style of Samurai into consideration here, where they all ten feet tall

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so my brother got himself a PS5 recently leaving his PS4 free. tried loading multiversus but the end user licence agreement wouldn't work. typical.

Top Bottom