• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I posted about this on the main profile posts section when the video came out, but I had to do a double take when I watched Uncle Al's recent video and he referred to Beetlejuice in no uncertain terms as a "more obscure character" than Samurai Jack

I made a profile post a long while ago about how fans of all 3 of the "current-ish" crossover platform fighters are a bit ignorant about the 1980s and seem to think that extremely uniquitous pieces of 80s iconography - Rocksteady and April for NASB, Duck Hunt for Smash, Gizmo; Stripe; and Beetlejuice for MVS - are these "weird obscure deep cuts" and equivalent to the Ice Climbers or something - in some fringe cases I've seen Pac-Man and Jason referred to as "irrelevant", and the 80s TMNT being treated as "equal" or even "lesser" from a popularity/iconic perspective to later incarnations. I also see this happen a lot for the 90s in NASB circles, but not in Smash or the limited MVS discussion I'm exposed to.
There's this mindset that platform fighter fans have where if they personally don't care about something, then it's automatically an irrelevant, obscure, niche, outdated piece of fringe crap that no one has heard of or wants.

Seeing this be done with video game characters is one thing, since everyone knows Smash players don't play other games, but apparently they don't watch TV or movies either because holy **** some of the opinions I've seen people spout about WB and Nickelodeon characters thanks to these games have been ****ing maddening.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I have a million words to say about the "cartoon network vs literally everything else" debate Multiversus has but I can't find away to put it without making it sound like a mess.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, me who is a Hanna-Barbera fan seeing next to no mention of HB characters besides Scooby-Doo, Space Ghost and Fred Flintstone...

It makes me sad that Hanna-Barbera does not get much attention. I mean, c'mon, remember the Hornet from Fighters Megamix?

Warner Bros and Hanna-Barbera outright have a car character that they can put into Multiversus. Speed Buggy.

Heck, Speed Buggy has had crossovers with other Hanna-Barbera characters and even with DC's Flash.

That aside, Hanna-Barbera has a lot of unique characters that they could put into Multiversus. Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Captain Caveman, Dastardly and Muttley, Top Cat, Snagglepuss, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, the Wacky Racers like Penelope Pittstop and the Creepy Kook, Jabberjaw and more. I'd love to see a lot more Hanna-Barbera content in Multiversus.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meanwhile, me who is a Hanna-Barbera fan seeing next to no mention of HB characters besides Scooby-Doo, Space Ghost and Fred Flintstone...

It makes me sad that Hanna-Barbera does not get much attention. I mean, c'mon, remember the Hornet from Fighters Megamix?

Warner Bros and Hanna-Barbera outright have a car character that they can put into Multiversus. Speed Buggy.

Heck, Speed Buggy has had crossovers with other Hanna-Barbera characters and even with DC's Flash.

That aside, Hanna-Barbera has a lot of unique characters that they could put into Multiversus. Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Captain Caveman, Dastardly and Muttley, Top Cat, Snagglepuss, Blue Falcon and Dynamite, the Wacky Racers like Penelope Pittstop and the Creepy Kook and more. I'd love to see a lot more Hanna-Barbera content in Multiversus.
The state of Hanna-Barbera characters in speculation is so sad honestly. Like I can only hope it gets somewhat better once Scooby gets in, since he might just be bottlenecking the rest, but damn.

Snagglepuss getting under 20% approval on that fan poll was deflating as hell lmao. Thankfully he does have a new show in the works (provided it didn't get Zaslav'd) so he could find a way in through that if nothing else.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I think what gets me about cartoon network in multiversus is that by all accounts the CN fans are winning, every season since relaunch has had a CN character in it, and it looks like the next season will too.

And aside from maybe on rare occasions I really can't see this changing.

Cartoon Network IS getting a ton of characters. It's not really being neglected by the devs at all. But the CN supporters treat every non-cn character as this nuisance filler they have to deal with while they wait for the "good stuff".

Like, guys, there's not a doubt in my mind the devs are working on 10 new CN fighters as we speak, can you chill out for a minute? Throw the other brands a bone here.

I'm not even anti-CN, far from it. I don't even think the current frequency of CN characters is a problem, my issues lie with the way the fans are acting.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I feel like I have a million words to say about the "cartoon network vs literally everything else" debate Multiversus has but I can't find away to put it without making it sound like a mess.
I think what gets me about cartoon network in multiversus is that by all accounts the CN fans are winning, every season since relaunch has had a CN character in it, and it looks like the next season will too.

And aside from maybe on rare occasions I really can't see this changing.

Cartoon Network IS getting a ton of characters. It's not really being neglected by the devs at all. But the CN supporters treat every non-cn character as this nuisance filler they have to deal with while they wait for the "good stuff".

Like, guys, there's not a doubt in my mind the devs are working on 10 new CN fighters as we speak, can you chill out for a minute? Throw the other brands a bone here.

I'm not even anti-CN, far from it. I don't even think the current frequency of CN characters is a problem, my issues lie with the way the fans are acting.

I will say this.

If it does actually come down to there being more CN characters than anything else once all is said and done, I think the real reason won't be because of any bias, but because there are a lot of Cartoon Network characters. This is a network 32 years running. There will never be a shortage of material to choose from. Even if they run out of movie characters and DC characters, there will always be CN characters left.

That aside, Hanna-Barbera has a lot of unique characters that they could put into Multiversus. Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Captain Caveman, Dastardly and Muttley, Top Cat, Snagglepuss, Blue Falcon and Dynamite, the Wacky Racers like Penelope Pittstop and the Creepy Kook, Jabberjaw and more. I'd love to see a lot more Hanna-Barbera content in Multiversus.
and Brak

I agree Hanna Barbera could use some more representation. Personally, besides Fred and the Space Ghost gang, I'm rooting for Top Cat and Secret Squirrel, and it feels like a no-brainer to include Yogi at some point.

Though I guess it's worth mentioning, Powerpuff Girls was made at HB Studios, so it's.... kinda both CN and HB?

The state of Hanna-Barbera characters in speculation is so sad honestly. Like I can only hope it gets somewhat better once Scooby gets in, since he might just be bottlenecking the rest, but damn.

Snagglepuss getting under 20% approval on that fan poll was deflating as hell lmao. Thankfully he does have a new show in the works (provided it didn't get Zaslav'd) so he could find a way in through that if nothing else.
I think part of the problem, besides the 2010's obsessed audience of today having a very skewed image of HB and it's relevance to entertainment (remember, these people think Beetlejuice is obscure. Beetlejuice.) but look, lets be frank here.

Besides outliers like Scooby, the superhero shows like Space Ghost and Birdman, or any of the CN originals they worked on, HB's stable of characters isn't really all that well known for its variety.

1726682862845.png

And I think that's where that skewed perception comes from. When people think of Hanna Barbera, they're most likely imagining a talking animal in a hat and a necktie. That's why I've always said Yogi has become the cultural consolidation of all those characters, since he's the most well known of them, at least in modern America.
Even their human characters from shows like The Flintstones, The Jetsons and Wacky Races can be shoehorned into that template.

I still believe all the characters Ivander listed and Brak deserve to get in. They're just not getting talked about because they're so far out of the incredibly limited field of vision that platfighter speculators have

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

That aside, Hanna-Barbera has a lot of unique characters that they could put into Multiversus. Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Captain Caveman, Dastardly and Muttley, Top Cat, Snagglepuss, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, the Wacky Racers like Penelope Pittstop and the Creepy Kook, Jabberjaw and more. I'd love to see a lot more Hanna-Barbera content in Multiversus.
Prior the the game's launch, my biggest hopes were getting more live-action characters and more female fighters in general.

Now that both are granted, I just want more old cartoon characters. You said Hannah Barbera (I'd love to see Rosie the Robot, Jabberjaw, and Atom Ant myself) and it has a lot of great potential but Looney Tunes also has a lot of potential outside of just Daffy.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
God...yeah, Beetlejuice is definitely a very obscure character. That's why literally everyone knows about the "say his name three times" schtick and why the sequel had WB's tenth highest grossing opening weekend (and their third highest grossing opening weekend that wasn't a DC or Potter film).

And like that's not to say Samurai Jack is irrelevant at all...honestly it has one of the stronger legacies of CN's output in my opinion. But to compare its relevance favorably to the movie that put Tim Burton on the map...
Its really just another case of the generational gap showing.

Even I have to admit, that while I'd heard the name Beetlejuice once or twice before, the ads for the new film were my first time actually seeing the character.

The further along you go, the less likely the following generations are going to be familiar with or care about properties from the 80s or even the 90s.

Honestly it's kinda expected? Gen Z (and even Millennials depending on how late into that group they were born in) grew up well after stuff like Beetlejuice and Gremlins. They hold legacy with older crowds but unless those older crowds make a point of introducing them to the next gen, it's pretty understandable that they won't know how big these characters were or how important they still are.

Is it really that surprising when those that grew up on 2010s CN are more interested in Adventure Time over the Wizard of Oz? Even if the understanding that Oz is a classic is known that doesn't mean it'll translate to interest.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is it really that surprising when those that grew up on 2010s CN are more interested in Adventure Time over the Wizard of Oz? Even if the understanding that Oz is a classic is known that doesn't mean it'll translate to interest.
Well it's not like the people who think the Wizard of Oz is worthy of being in MVS are people approaching 100 years old, they're people who would've had to watch it on VHS, DVD, or any of TBS's numerous broadcasts of the movie.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Now that both are granted, I just want more old cartoon characters. You said Hannah Barbera (I'd love to see Rosie the Robot, Jabberjaw, and Atom Ant myself) and it has a lot of great potential but Looney Tunes also has a lot of potential outside of just Daffy.
Oh absolutely. Besides Daffy, I'd love to see Wile E Coyote, Sylvester and Tweety and Elmer Fudd, and there's also Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam, Lola Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn and Speedy Gonzales. And I'm also waiting for the Animaniacs to happen soon. And besides the Warners, there's Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid and Slappy Squirrel. And man, I'm not expecting him anytime soon, but Droopy Dog would be amazing to see too, especially if he came with a "It's the law of the West" Ring-Out.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hanna Barbera is in pretty dire straits right now, I do understand why we don't have a surplus of funny talking animals but man how much longer are we going to have to wait for the bare minimum Fred Flintstone? His moveset potential is potent and he may arguably be the biggest WB mascot remaining. The fact that it will likely take three Scooby characters before we get to that point is a bit nuts, although yeah of course it makes sense that Scooby is getting the most love.

Looney Tunes is doing alright so far, Cartoon Network is thriving. But the third pillar of WB toons is being treated less as the HB branch and more just the Scooby Doo branch so I hope that I will see them spread out toward Fred, Yogi and/or Rosie at any point in the near future.

And re: Cartoon Network characters, it's apparent that the audience that this game has reached (at least the ones who care enough to speculate on it) are simply more familiar with CN than anything else. Beetlejuice is not more obscure than Samurai Jack. But in the context of the vocal community - emphasis on vocal, I have to imagine the base of speculators / support group type fans are still a niche within a large playerbase - Jack is the star. And I think MVS has become kind of keen to this, playing heavily into their CN crop and giving Jack the top billing for Battle Pass. But some of these fans ought to be humbled and recognize that there's a world of other properties that exist beyond that bubble... so calling someone like Beet obscure reeks of that ignorance.

I think MVS has been doing a nice job balancing it out though. The season passes have had a pretty stellar showing so far, and measured in appeal - and if the next ones are some combination of Marceline, Raven and Wicked Witch then this will continue to be the case.

Side note, I still haven't been able to play (hopefully I can hop on sometime this season) but I'm loving what I've seen of the Powerpuff Girls. I couldn't have asked for a better execution of that idea really. It quenches a thirst I've had for specifically this type of team character and I love to see it executed so cleanly.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

one day I’ll see the end of the tenant gif

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Well it's not like the people who think the Wizard of Oz is worthy of being in MVS are people approaching 100 years old, they're people who would've had to watch it on VHS, DVD, or any of TBS's numerous broadcasts of the movie.
That still illustrates the point, no?

We have people making comments (and content) who may not even be familiar with what a VHS is. Or if they are, still see them as relics despite the gap not being that big. It's a matter of exposure.

Catching a broadcast or being sat in front of a film once or twice isn't going to drill the idea of its legacy, and that's not even taking into account if they even like it and/or remember it. That legacy is lost on a generation with limited to no exposure, many of whom probably spent more time watching YT and other content online that they did in a movie theater or in front of a television screen.

The wants of someone who grow up on media from the 70s-90s is naturally going to differ from kids born in the 2000s. And the further down you move, the less overlap there's going to be, unless they have family/friends who pass on said media/interests, or they manage to stumble on it themselves if they're really passionate about film/cartoons/what have you.

I'm not arguing that these characters are "unworthy" or any nonsense like that. I just don't think it's all that surprising that a good chunk of kids/teens/young adults are making these sort of "literal who" comments. To them, they actually are unknowns or relics with literal relevance to them.

They're not right to think that these characters shouldn't be included, but it's pretty easy to understand why they might think like that.

I whole heartedly disagree with how dismissive some can get over anything older than they are, but I can't blame them for simply not knowing.

Faso115

Smash Lord
People on the internet will spin things in a way to just slight something as "irrelevent" or "niche". Like twitter went on a tangent that Mortal Kombat was not part of the Big 3 of fighting games and thus lesser.

NEWS FLASH: The only fighting game that has a bigger influence and it more known is Street Fighter. In fact, there's no BIG 3 in fighting games, the average person might know MK and SF and that's it.

Also it happens that Beetlejuice is considered irrelevant by a youtuber that makes....GASP....a "Multiversus is dying" video. Jeez, there are things that are legitimately wrong with this game but it's not the roster trust me. Sure, some characters are not as exciting like Banana Guard and Nubia, but the ones we've gotten this year are some of the best characters i've seen in a genre like this, no joke.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I will say this.

If it does actually come down to there being more CN characters than anything else once all is said and done, I think the real reason won't be because of any bias, but because there are a lot of Cartoon Network characters. This is a network 32 years running. There will never be a shortage of material to choose from. Even if they run out of movie characters and DC characters, there will always be CN characters left.
I do agree that CN have a lot of choice, but acting like they might run out of DC and movie characters before CN is... kind of a weird take. Like, sure CN having 32 years means that there's lots of materials, but if you're bringing up year you might as well bring up that DC has 90 years of material and WB have more than 100 years of movie material.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'll be honest, I grew up on Hanna-Barbera cartoons and I'll be real: most of them suck. You've got like... three, maybe four good ones that I would say are actually good - Scooby, Flintstones, Yogi, and Wacky Races - and almost all of the rest are just derivatives of the first three. I mean, there's been jokes for years about how many Scooby clones they made, but they made just as many if not more for Yogi and even Flintstones is definitely the inspiration for the Jetsons. Up until the CN era, at least.

After Scooby, Fred, Dastardly, and maybe Yogi and Rosie are in, I'm more than good with HB representation. Does anyone actually remember Atom Ant, Grape Ape, or Peter Potamus fondly?

The HB talk gave me a goofy idea, which is a Flintstones stage that’s on a fancy esports stage for huge tournaments, but it’s esports for cavemen so they’re gaming with rocks.
Honestly, that would be in line with Flintstones logic. Maybe the blast zone is smaller to accompany this point of view?
I'll be honest, I grew up on Hanna-Barbera cartoons and I'll be real: most of them suck. You've got like... three, maybe four good ones that I would say are actually good - Scooby, Flintstones, Yogi, and Wacky Races - and almost all of the rest are just derivatives of the first three. I mean, there's been jokes for years about how many Scooby clones they made, but they made just as many if not more for Yogi and even Flintstones is definitely the inspiration for the Jetsons. Up until the CN era, at least.

After Scooby, Fred, Dastardly, and maybe Yogi and Rosie are in, I'm more than good with HB representation. Does anyone actually remember Atom Ant, Grape Ape, or Peter Potamus fondly?
I mean, there are the heroic shows like Space Ghost, Frankenstein Jr, and Jonny Quest to pull from. But as for the Average (Bill and) Joe, that's about all you really need left to represent H-B's output.

Now, if you really want to stretch the limit, I wonder how Ruby-Spears can be represented, if at all.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I do agree that CN have a lot of choice, but acting like they might run out of DC and movie characters before CN is... kind of a weird take. Like, sure CN having 32 years means that there's lots of materials, but if you're bringing up year you might as well bring up that DC has 90 years of material and WB have more than 100 years of movie material.
Well that was a bit of hyperbole, but I get what you’re saying.

I can see what you mean with DC, though I feel like there’s probably bound to be some sort of limit imposed given DC is one IP split into multiple branches while CN is multiple individual IP under a brand name. We can be pedantic and say Superman, Batman, Teen Titans etc are all separate works but as far as the general public is concerned, they’re all “DC characters” since they all exist in one world.

I don’t think WB’s entire film library is on the table as much as its TV library is but then I’m not a film buff by any means, I could be totally wrong. Though they don’t own Jason so they’re already poking into third parties.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Honestly, that would be in line with Flintstones logic. Maybe the blast zone is smaller to accompany this point of view?

I mean, there are the heroic shows like Space Ghost, Frankenstein Jr, and Jonny Quest to pull from. But as for the Average (Bill and) Joe, that's about all you really need left to represent H-B's output.

Now, if you really want to stretch the limit, I wonder how Ruby-Spears can be represented, if at all.
this is Top Cat erasure and I wont stand for it

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Space Ghost was alright but the later two I just couldn't stand; especially Jonny Quest. It was always so boring to me.

this is Top Cat erasure and I wont stand for it
Top Cat wasn't really good imo it was just there

Ivander

Smash Legend

Johnny Quest and Space Ghost were mentioned, but we're not going to talk about the old Batman cartoon series before the Animated adaptation? Superfriends? Josie and the Pussycats? The Smurfs? Yeah, Hanna-Barbera doesn't own them, but they were responsible for the well-known cartoons. As well as the Smurfs parody in the cartoon series Yogi's Treasure Hunt called the Smirks.

That aside, Hanna-Barbera is a fascinating beast to study for the vast amount of non-HB IPs they were able to make back then. The old Batman cartoon, Superfriends, I Dream of Jeannie, the Smurfs, the Harlem Globetrotters, Josie and the Pussycats, Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, Pac-Man, frickin' Godzilla. It's so bizarre that there's a slight possibility that we could get Godzilla as a fighter in Multiversus and they could get a Hanna-Barbera Godzilla variant.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Master

i remember atom ant for the cartoon funnies short were the animation is styled like a collegue magazine, great ape from the small clip they air(plus the boomerang ape marathon), and peter potamus, his shorts would normally air for some runtime but i've never watch him(he's in harvey birdman though).

Also, what about Jellystone? have you considered seeing representation for that show? especially if they use iterations for the characters you mention above?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I see DC and Cartoon Network in the same way regarding the roster. They're both huge and have a plethora of characters to choose from, but it'll be overwhelming if most of the characters we get are from them. Currently that isn't the case, and I hope it continues to not be the case. Ideally they space things out well.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if the individual shows are good or not, the classic lesser known Hanna-Barbera like Atom Ant & Jabberjaw have old fashion charm and moveset potential. When it comes to characters like this, critical reception of their original series should be irrelevant for roster choice.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well just as well the roster doesn’t exist to please you
Okay? The point still stands that no one is asking for any of these characters outside of basically just Fred, Yogi, and Scooby, because these cartoons were easily forgettable.

i remember atom ant for the cartoon funnies short were the animation is styled like a collegue magazine, great ape from the small clip they air(plus the boomerang ape marathon), and peter potamus, his shorts would normally air for some runtime but i've never watch him(he's in harvey birdman though).

Also, what about Jellystone? have you considered seeing representation for that show? especially if they use iterations for the characters you mention above?
Jellystone is fine but it's not exactly like anyone is clammering for characters to represent it either. A stage would be cool, that way you could represent the characters who don't really need to be playable

I don't care if the individual shows are good or not, the classic lesser known Hanna-Barbera like Atom Ant & Jabberjaw have old fashion charm and moveset potential. When it comes to characters like this, critical reception of their original series should be irrelevant for roster choice.
Absolutely not. I've said this a million times: we don't have unlimited roster space. The game is already divisive, the last thing it needs is to putting more literal whos into the roster. Just because some of us grew up with Boomerang in our cable packages doesn't mean people remember these characters. We don't even have Scooby yet - no Scooby knockoffs until we get the man himself.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Speaking of Hannah barbera got me thinking, do you all think we'll ever get the original characters that have leaked back in the beta? I'm talking like Fred Flinstones, Johnny Bravo, Craig of the creek, Static shock, Poison Ivy and Emmet. I feel like Fred Flinststones must come eventually, Johnny Bravo I feel like he' a "when" too, but I could see being delayed to make priority for more popular CN characters like Jack and PPG. Static Shock and Poison Ivy I'm not too sure, but I feel like they might come eventually, but maybe Static was put lower priority in favor of Nubia. Craig and Emmet I could see them being cut entierely, I feel like we had nothing for those characters for ages and the team might have saw they weren't super popular.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Wacky Races and Yogi Bear are the Hanna-Barbera properties that deserve representation the most. After all of them, H-B would be set for a while, unless you wanna go for some more crazy picks like Quick Draw McGraw. But I do think it's weird that Scooby-Doo is the only series that's been prevalent in the game so far. Not even Fred Flintstone, as recognizable as he is, is in yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay? The point still stands that no one is asking for any of these characters outside of basically just Fred, Yogi, and Scooby, because these cartoons were easily forgettable.
no you find them forgettable, doesn't mean the rest of us do

we have a couple people saying we shouldn’t be dismissive of characters and then you almost immediately dismiss a huge batch

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
no you find them forgettable, doesn't mean the rest of us do

we have a couple people saying we shouldn’t be dismissive of characters and then you almost immediately dismiss a huge batch
Mate you go onto the street and ask people if they remember who the **** Peter Potamus is and tell me how many people say they know

If someone else wants these C-tier rejects, that's fine, but realistically they shouldn't expect them to be even referenced let alone get in.

People seem to forget that Boomerang was a premium cable channel. Most kids that even grew up in it's prime would never know any of these characters.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Mate you go onto the street and ask people if they remember who the **** Peter Potamus is and tell me how many people say they know

If someone else wants these C-tier rejects, that's fine, but realistically they shouldn't expect them to be even referenced let alone get in.
Ironically Peter Potamus is actually referenced in Multiversus

Last edited:
Top Bottom