• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Ivander

Smash Legend
Could someone check the end of the trailer from today for me?

Just before the part confirming a gameplay trailer on the 12th there’s some fake ad about 12 am and Mogwais followed by laughter.

People are saying this laughter is actually The Wicked Witch of the West but to me it sounds like Stripe.
It definitely sounded more like Stripe than The Wicked Witch. I think it could be Mogwai Stripe as a skin for Gizmo, as I thought there was something in the data regarding a Gizmo skin that was supposed to be Stripe's Mogwai form.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The way I’d design PPG‘s moveset is that you play as one at a time and switch between them, but their moveset is designed so that you switch very frequently instead of specializing in any of them, to play up their team dynamic. Like, it could be to the point where stuff like jab makes them switch for each individual hit. It’s sort of like how LeBron is two characters basically but you can’t exclusively play either of them. If they have some degree of zoning, I imagine the character you’re playing as readies the projectile and you instantly switch to another character to back them up, which is kind of the opposite of how Angry Beavers works.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The one thing I can think of that would justify it is if the PPG are indeed a Pokemon Trainer style swapping character, they're different enough to where it feels like we're getting four characters instead of two, so they figured it was a good enough time to drop Nubia.

I mean, I think it's kind of lame too but I guess they might as well get it out of the way now. Just don't offer her first.
I get what you're saying to an extent but the girls aren't that different, it'd be like three semiclones of each other getting in at the same time. Absolutely they need to all be here but I dunno.

I have nothing against Nubia as a character but she's another example of a DC character that I don't think should've gotten in this early. Aquaman, Green Lantern, Flash, Raven, Blue Beetle, and a ton of villains should've taken priority over her and Adam.

I hope we get Raven or the Witch this season, that would balance it out. I'm baffled though by the fact that the comic comes out in like a week and we still haven't revealed her officially. Maybe she could be an end of S2 surprise? Probably wishful thinking.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Hey my theory about season 3 being characters with leaked models is true since i completely forgot nubia model was leaked with ppg and marcy

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the trailer implying the season is themed on heroines? Like, yeah "the girls" is used to refer to the PPG in the show, but it's also said as Nubia's silhouette is there, not just the PPG.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the trailer implying the season is themed on heroines? Like, yeah "the girls" is used to refer to the PPG in the show, but it's also said as Nubia's silhouette is there, not just the PPG.
It looks to be the case, even the new variants shown are for female characters (Velma, Garnet and Wonder Woman). If we get a third character, I feel like Marceline and Raven would make sense, but I would give Marceline the edge because I think they would not want to double dip on DC characters in the same season.

Believe me, I'm also hoping that the Powerpuff Girls have a switching mechanic, but Supergirl was right there if they needed a DC rep to match. And she's even got a boost of relevance thanks to MAWS and the Gunn-led DC Universe.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Believe me, I'm also hoping that the Powerpuff Girls have a switching mechanic, but Supergirl was right there if they needed a DC rep to match. And she's even got a boost of relevance thanks to MAWS and the Gunn-led DC Universe.
I'd much rather have Nubia than Supergirl, even if the latter is more popular she would bring nothing on the roster.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
I'd much rather have Nubia than Supergirl, even if the latter is more popular she would bring nothing on the roster.
Feel like you could do a moveset for her making use of the powers superman dosen't use as much. Could maybe include her sword from the woman of tomorrow arc or the red lantern ring they used to give her a lot . Honestly I think she has a decent chance of getting in since she seems to be the next DCEU movie.

would rather see Zatana or Black Canery if we get a female DC hero though

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I haven't heard of Nubia, but I've got a subscription to DC's comic app, so I'll look into some comics that feature her tomorrow to get an idea of what she's like.

I'm glad to see them adding more women in the game, since I don't think any had been added in the past two seasons. It seems like the trailer was hinting at Raven (in the staticky image before the Gremlin PSA) and the Wicked Witch of the West (with the cackling after the Gremlin PSA), though the last one could have just been a Gremlins reference; I haven't seen that movie.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
I haven't heard of Nubia, but I've got a subscription to DC's comic app, so I'll look into some comics that feature her tomorrow to get an idea of what she's like.

I'm glad to see them adding more women in the game, since I don't think any had been added in the past two seasons. It seems like the trailer was hinting at Raven (in the staticky image before the Gremlin PSA) and the Wicked Witch of the West (with the cackling after the Gremlin PSA), though the last one could have just been a Gremlins reference; I haven't seen that movie.
The laughing just sounded like Sripe to me honestly, though I'd need to go back. think it's hinting more at the Gremlins theatre stage

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

For the record, it was absolutely a gremlin cackle, not the Witch.

It's almost certainly alluding to the Midnight Showing stage that was datamined being added during season three (which makes sense, since it was one of the more complete stages as of the last datamine).

Faso115

Smash Lord
Every season im learning that themes are just fast and loose. In fact, this season probably has the most cohesive theme since prob season 1 with being focused on girl power. (i'm dreading the youtube recommendations)

Too bad theorizing stages is kinda hard cause they rarely if ever fit with the characters they release with. AGAIN, this season comes with a variant for Townsvile, first time a stage is tied to a character new to the season

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mentioned it before. The cackle during the Mogwai bit could be alluding to a Mogwai Stripe skin for Gizmo.

What book is this from
Oh, it's actually from a comic.
But still, it would be a deep cut.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
View attachment 394207
Tomorrow at 6 am PT, will you take the call?

(This image was posted by the Multiversus Twitter)
Yeeeeesss!

Man, this is nice to see. Just got bummed out looking at a fan survey where my most wanted character after the PPG got an 80-something percent "do not want to see" score and then seeing AJAX respond to it. AT LEAST THERE'S THIS.

70 The Powerpunk Girls by foeri on DeviantArt

Need I say more?
Yes fair, but also the RRB have data in the game already, so either way, they're coming.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Nakat meanwhile decided to hype up the trailer by posting the Teen Titans theme song (well… the first line) before realizing “wait wrong song”

Naturally I’m already seeing speculation for a Teen Titans rep

Faso115

Smash Lord
Nakat meanwhile decided to hype up the trailer by posting the Teen Titans theme song (well… the first line) before realizing “wait wrong song”

Ok, i'm starting to believe on 3 characters dropping this season. They maybe saw the writing on the wall and decided to couple Nubia with PPG and Raven

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, this is nice to see. Just got bummed out looking at a fan survey where my most wanted character after the PPG got an 80-something percent "do not want to see" score and then seeing AJAX respond to it. AT LEAST THERE'S THIS.
Honestly the more time passes the more I'm convinced that the online Multiversus fanbase has incredibly limited, if not outright terrible, taste lmao.

80% of voters saying they don't want to see (I assume) Brak because he's not "2010s CN Character #6" is nuts.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Btw, is anyone yet to find a character that clicked for you? I know some people are waiting for their fan favourite and mine is probably going to take a while (anyone for Mortal Kombat for the curious)

But i'm also a weird guy, sometimes i just click with the functions of a character and they become my main. Like, i never watched Beetlejuice yet i'm playing a lot of him lately. Although i DID watch Samurai Jack growing up and i also played him a lot so i guess i'm just the exception to the rule :v

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly the more time passes the more I'm convinced that the online Multiversus fanbase has incredibly limited, if not outright terrible, taste lmao.

80% of voters saying they don't want to see (I assume) Brak because he's not "2010s CN Character #6" is nuts.
Yup. Brak. Just checked and it was 71.8% which is still not great. What's wrong with these people?!
Here are the results. I should have linked it here when it was still running, you guys wouldn't have let me down.

At least my other most wanted, Daffy, only got 13% "No" but like... how is anyone saying no to Daffy at all?

Btw, is anyone yet to find a character that clicked for you? I know some people are waiting for their fan favourite and mine is probably going to take a while (anyone for Mortal Kombat for the curious)

But i'm also a weird guy, sometimes i just click with the functions of a character and they become my main. Like, i never watched Beetlejuice yet i'm playing a lot of him lately. Although i DID watch Samurai Jack growing up and i also played him a lot so i guess i'm just the exception to the rule :v
I'm probably the most well versed in Finn since the beta (plus them nerfing the absolute piss out of Jake in the full release meaning I can't play him as much) but I tried out Steven back in late season 1 and I'm actually getting great results with him. I'm gonna try and main him in ranked next season.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeeeeesss!

Yes fair, but also the RRB have data in the game already, so either way, they're coming.
For what it's worth that survey had less than 1,000 responses and also for some reason included tons of characters from IP who are straight up not happening

Like don't get me wrong Gravity Falls is peak and I want something from it in a fighting game but it took up several spots on that survey whereas plenty of WB-owned IP only had like 1 character. It read like a bunch of people who have been chronically online just threw a list of characters together for ****s and giggles

He wasn't in my 100-character lineup for that video initially but he did get in as a replacement for one of the RWBY characters I picked after WB yeeted Rooster Teeth, so I may have at least brought a little attention to him

LimeTH

Smash Lord
For what it's worth that survey had less than 1,000 responses and also for some reason included tons of characters from IP who are straight up not happening

Like don't get me wrong Gravity Falls is peak and I want something from it in a fighting game but it took up several spots on that survey whereas plenty of WB-owned IP only had like 1 character. It read like a bunch of people who have been chronically online just threw a list of characters together for ****s and giggles

He wasn't in my 100-character lineup for that video initially but he did get in as a replacement for one of the RWBY characters I picked after WB yeeted Rooster Teeth, so I may have at least brought a little attention to him
It was honestly pretty annoying how many non-WB choices there were (and how many Gravity Falls characters were on there????) when it was mandatory to mark every character. They had a third of NASB's roster on there for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Can you show me where he said this because I'd love to document it

It was honestly pretty annoying how many non-WB choices there were (and how many Gravity Falls characters were on there????) when it was mandatory to mark every character. They had a third of NASB's roster on there for crying out loud.
They also did every major Smiling Friends character except Glep which is unacceptable

But yeah like I've made my stance pretty clear - I don't think we're ever getting non-WB IP outside of maybe ones that were previously owned by the company - such as LotR and RWBY. And even those are shaky.

Yeah Walter's the meme character having him on the list makes sense, hardy har har but Disney and Nick content aren't getting in the game nor should they to be honest until the roster has covered all the big bases for WB. I will literally scream if somehow Walter were to get in before Ben 10

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yup. Brak. Just checked and it was 71.8% which is still not great. What's wrong with these people?!
Here are the results. I should have linked it here when it was still running, you guys wouldn't have let me down.

At least my other most wanted, Daffy, only got 13% "No" but like... how is anyone saying no to Daffy at all?

I'm probably the most well versed in Finn since the beta (plus them nerfing the absolute piss out of Jake in the full release meaning I can't play him as much) but I tried out Steven back in late season 1 and I'm actually getting great results with him. I'm gonna try and main him in ranked next season.
The sheer amount of Looney Tunes characters with a lower Want percent than Big Chungus has convinced me that the biggest problem the Multiversus fanbase has comes from people whose birth years start with a 2. To say nothing about the Hanna-Barbera results because oh my god.

Okay Jesus I just finished reading through all of it and if anyone on the dev team is reading this for some reason, please never add non-WB related characters to Multiversus because the people who voted on this poll are crazy. ☠

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The sheer amount of Looney Tunes characters with a lower Want percent than Big Chungus has convinced me that the biggest problem the Multiversus fanbase has comes from people whose birth years start with a 2. To say nothing about the Hanna-Barbera results because oh my god.
Absolutely. I saw people on twitter just today calling Agent Smith and Beetlejuice(!!!) literally who picks.

****ing Beetlejuice! A literally who pick! Don't tweet during math class, buddy!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You can argue Beetlejuice is a boomer pick but personally i dont mind those.

A huge problem i have with wishlist is how its dominated by Cartoon Network. There are some cool franchises out there outside of CN u know
I wouldn't even call Beetlejuice a boomer pick honestly. Like yeah the original movie is probably most fondly remembered by Gen X and older millennials, but then there's also the Musical which has a very sizeable younger Millennial and older Gen Z fanbase. So calling him a boomer pick, and ESPECIALLY a Literal Who, is absolutely wild.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
While I’m here, I want to ask:

How would everyone feel if two of our future characters were Marceline the Vampire Queen and Freddy Krueger?

Asking because there’s speculation regarding them based on yesterday’s trailer.

For the former, the red in Multiversus is drained out when they ask “What is Multiversus”, a similar trait to how Marceline eats red.

For the latter, there’s a scene of someone sitting in a doorframe and the text “end the nightmare” pops up. The font, although not the exact same, resembles the font from the first Nightmare on Elm Street movie. Also, in some posts of AJAX’s telling fans that “some riddles are right in front of you”, he uses a detective man emoji (🕵️‍♂️) followed by the Male symbol (♂). While I think these are more referencing Batman since Batman day is coming up so we could get an event for that, I’ve seen speculation towards Freddy. Finally, Sept 13 is Freddy Krueger day (the trailer’s tomorrow) and AJAX has been mentioning sleep a lot recently (though I think this is over speculation and means nothing).

Top Bottom