• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

osby

Smash Obsessed
Regarding stages:

Destroyed Townsville will be the mid season stage.

Midnight Showing (Gremlins Theater) will be coming with the season.
Speaking of stages, when will they add Samurai Jack's stage? It's odd that they showed it so early yet it's still MIA.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1995 was the premiere of the PPG pilot episode on World Premiere Toons.

My dude are you Literally Who-ing the Powerpuff Girls?
that depends. What is Literally Who-ing and did I forget to put in my post the time stamp referring to them fighting short haired versions of themselves?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Nakat said this in response to a Nubia image.

I wonder who the unnamed character he can’t speak about is?

Edit: Just because a third character is being teased doesn't mean they'll release this season.

Last edited:
Surprising or not, PFG had the easiest opportunity to dodge one of the nastiest controversy bullets. Shame they're not doing that and trying to treat Nubia as someone that can carry the mid-season (she won't) and this is coming from someone who defended her lmaoooo.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
P
that depends. What is Literally Who-ing
Acting like a character doesn’t matter and is a bad choice because someone personally doesn’t know or care about them.

did I forget to put in my post the time stamp referring to them fighting short haired versions of themselves?
That’s the Rowdyruff Boys. Basically their Wario equivalent

osby

Smash Obsessed
Surprising or not, PFG had the easiest opportunity to dodge one of the nastiest controversy bullets. Shame they're not doing that and trying to treat Nubia as someone that can carry the mid-season (she won't) and this is coming from someone who defended her lmaoooo.
Wait, what's the controversy bullet you're talking about?

Wait, what's the controversy bullet you're talking about?
Nubia being leaked brought nonstop hate and upset people. And a lot of... not so favorable comments which significantly increased once she got teased, people said really ****ty things all over social media. She made fans practically foam at the mouth. I've been insisting for a while that Nubia would've been a prime pick if she was balanced out by someone else.

One of the few strong defenses Nubia had was that she's probably a bonus character and wouldn't take away any "important spots" so them going ahead and treating her as the one and only "big mid-season character" is really dumb to me.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
P

Acting like a character doesn’t matter and is a bad choice because someone personally doesn’t know or care about them.

That’s the Rowdyruff Boys. Basically their Wario equivalent
the power puff girls have a wario counter part? think I’ll go back to bed

osby

Smash Obsessed
One of the few strong defenses Nubia had was that she's probably a bonus character and wouldn't take away any "important spots" so them going ahead and treating her as the one and only "big mid-season character" is really dumb to me.
That's dumb though.

She didn't take any spots because there's no set amount of character slots in the game. She's not any different than Banana Guard being one of the four first-season characters. I think it'd be worse if we had to wait for PPG until the middle of the season when we know they're coming so I don't really understand this complaint.

Honestly, this just seems like Byleth in Smash where fans overthink about character release orders too much and make themselves angry for no reason.

That's dumb though.

She didn't take any spots because there's no set amount of character slots in the game. She's not any different than Banana Guard being one of the four first-season characters. I think it'd be worse if we had to wait for PPG until the middle of the season when we know they're coming so I don't really understand this complaint.

Honestly, this just seems like Byleth in Smash where fans overthink about character release orders too much and make themselves angry for no reason.
Yes and no. I think Nubia's a good addition, but fact is, MVS will not last forever and is a game with limited resources. Very limited and once this game dies, the roster spots are set in stone. Nubia's common iron-clad defense against criticism and that there were way cooler black heroes to choose than her was the fact that Nubia was probably a bonus character and wasn't too costly in resources.

Her being the big mid-season character debunks the one rock-solid defense she had. At the end of the day, MVS is a numbers game and Nubia isn't appealing on her own. She would've went very hard with Raven or Marcy. 3 characters was best for her not 2. Making Nubia in a two character season format sets her up for failure.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'll do you one better. I think Nubia is an awful choice on the grounds that nobody outside of the extremely dedicated DC fans knows who the **** she is. When you're putting in characters to a crossover game - especially a live service one - you need people to constantly be clicking, living and breathing your game. They need announcements and picks that will get people talking to keep the game relevant in conversation and Nubia just isn't that for the vast public consciousness. PPG will hold people for a little while, but they need to come out swinging with someone more popular ASAP.

Hence why I've been saying since the beginning - if you want to do some weird out of pocket picks you have to have a strong core lineup - which can only really be achieved in a full budget release and not through attempting to be the next Fortnite (and missing the point of why Fortnite works entirely).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Nubia being leaked brought nonstop hate and upset people. And a lot of... not so favorable comments which significantly increased once she got teased, people said really ****ty things all over social media. She made fans practically foam at the mouth. I've been insisting for a while that Nubia would've been a prime pick if she was balanced out by someone else.

The Powerpuff Girls are one of the most complex characters on the roster. Marceline is probably the next character, and she seems like she'll be complex as well. Nubia seems like a stopgap, so we have something between the two of them.

I'll do you one better. I think Nubia is an awful choice on the grounds that nobody outside of the extremely dedicated DC fans knows who the **** she is. When you're putting in characters to a crossover game - especially a live service one - you need people to constantly be clicking, living and breathing your game. They need announcements and picks that will get people talking to keep the game relevant in conversation and Nubia just isn't that for the vast public consciousness. PPG will hold people for a little while, but they need to come out swinging with someone more popular ASAP.
Yes that's the common consensus. Nubia being an awful literal who. It's why my take was the most middle ground stance to have since Nubia being a 3rd character in a 2 character season meant that there would've been Raven or Marceline to make Nubia much easier to stomach. Nubia doesn't have the star power to uphold a 2 character format. She's a fun deep cut pick that could've held it down if she was given a role proportionate to her lack of popularity.

The Powerpuff Girls are one of the most complex characters on the roster. Marceline is probably the next character, and she seems like she'll be complex as well. Nubia seems like a stopgap, so we have something between the two of them.
For PFG's sake, I hope so. Them treating Nubia as the big second character in a two character season will bite them in the ass if not even Beetlejuice could hold interest and attention for long. They'll put all that effort in Nubia and get nothing but diminishing returns.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Tara Strong has confirmed on her Twitter that her, Catherine Cavadini, and EG Daily will be returning to voice the Powerpuff Girls again.

They were cast out of the role in the 2016 series.
In a world where they’re still using the 2016 versions as the new default, I’m beyond thrilled that PFG used the OG 1998 versions.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's time to stop with the wacky picks for awhile and just listen to the fanbase's most wanted - they are running out of player retention fast.
Literally the only two that feel like they fit under unconventional picks like that since the game came back are Nubia and Banana Guard. And going back to the beta the closest things to that were LeBron and Black Adam, which were more so just blatantly corporate-coded picks (less so for Adam, since for him it just felt like he got in too early).

Listening to JUST the fanbase's most wanted would just result in a boring cavalcade of exclusively 2010s CN characters because the under-20s gaslit themselves into thinking Clarence is a character anyone besides them cares about.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It's time to stop with the wacky picks for awhile and just listen to the fanbase's most wanted - they are running out of player retention fast.
Then what happens when they run out of big characters and the “wacky picks” are all that’s left? Even then, people are going to complain. There were people complaining about freaking Beetlejuice.

This game isn’t going to die because of ONE character people aren’t enthusiastic about. Banana Guard didn’t kill it and people warmed up to him.

Personally I’m fine with “one big character one smaller character”. They gotta space releases out anyway.

Then what happens when they run out of big characters and the “wacky picks” are all that’s left? Even then, people are going to complain. There were people complaining about freaking Beetlejuice.

This game isn’t going to die because of ONE character people aren’t enthusiastic about. Banana Guard didn’t kill it and people warmed up to him.

Personally I’m fine with “one big character one smaller character”. They gotta space releases out anyway.
At the same time, Banana Guard was a free login character. In fact, he wasn't featured at all in Season 1's banner. And he's not really warmed up to, as (edit: as Capybara said, people just got over him and left it alone). Nubia was added in a 2 character season with her being that "big hyped up 2nd pick". I find it a real unfortunate set up for Nubia to fail. Even if she wasn't given for free, come on let her be an additional character than a season defining one.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

That will literally never happen though. WB's library is so massive that we could have 200 characters and still not cover everything. This is Live Service - the most fickle type of game there is. They need to be spacing these out of pocket picks if they want to keep players' attention.

Theoretically the game could last forever, but in reality it is not limitless. They need to make the most out of each addition, and putting in an actual literal who as one of only two characters to hype up a season is not enough. The casuals constantly need jingling keys in front of them - and not just jingling keys, jingling keys they know and recognize - to keep that retention up.

And they could absolutely afford to put in that effort if they scrapped Rifts. I think the mode is fun once but not fun enough to warrant going back through over and over again. Those resources and time could better be spent elsewhere.

As for BG - no, people didn't warm up to him. They learned to ignore his existence, no matter how much they keep trying to make him their meme mascot

I for one will not be spending 6K on Nubia. I'll wait until next season where she's cheaper.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm all in for lesser known characters, but my biggest problem with Nubia is that she's fairly boring all things considered, and DC have so many heroes, they could have went crazy with a lesser known heroes instead of just another amazon with a sword. For example, Zatanna would have been a super cool adition, and people might have argue that Flash and Green Lantern would make more sense, but Zatanna is still beloved in her own rights and she would have much more moveset pontential.

Edit: Also I get that Nubia was add because she was based on WW in the first place, but I feel like most casual probably don't know this information so they're even more confused about her adition in the roster.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Master
Ignoring all the arguments about people hating Nubia and "THE GAME WILL DIE" again.

I want to point that the powerpuff girls being a trio fighter and having attacks that work for just the three together sounds really great, it might show a good example of why mordecai & rigby would work well as a duo fighter because i've already mentioned before how i think they work so much better when they're a team.

Honestly I'm all in for lesser known characters, but my biggest problem with Nubia is that she's fairly boring all things considered, and DC have so many heroes, they could have went crazy with a lesser known heroes instead of just another amazon with a sword. For example, Zatanna would have been a super cool adition, and people might have argue that Flash and Green Lantern would make more sense, but Zatanna is still beloved in her own rights and she would have much more moveset pontential.
Nubia has a spear though.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I didn't know who Nubia was until people started talking about her being leaked. And honestly I don't mind that. When I played Smash Bros for the first time I only knew the Pokemon.

I'm more interested in seeing how a character turns out before writing them off. A "literal who" is a new face to learn about and see if I like, not an immediate dismissal, though I do understand that I'm in the minority in that regard.

From a marketing/dev angle though I do have to agree with the criticism though.

Multiversus is plagued with lots of problems, and while not a solution, adding big name characters are at least a means to keep some player retention or bring in new players who like x or y character/series enough to give MVS a spin.

Tbh, I think MVS is objectively pretty bad in its current state. I want it to bounce back and succeed but they've got a long road ahead of them with a limited amount of time and the big obstacle of their own publisher/parent company likely enforcing a lot of the poor decisions everyone keeps complaining about.

All that to say, that while the roster lineup and release schedule could be handled a bit better, I don't think it'd be as big of a problem if it weren't for literally everything else that the game is lacking and/ or needs improvements on.

Personally, I think the game feel, balance/bugs, lack of content and predatory monetization are much bigger problems that need to be addressed first.

darkvortex

Smash Champion

Edit: Also I get that Nubia was add because she was based on WW in the first place, but I feel like most casual probably don't know this information so they're even more confused about her adition in the roster.
she doesn't even have a a sword

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash clone discourse died so Multiversus can take over it instead.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Banana Guard is a Shaggy clone. :4pacman:

Anyway, wonder what skins will hit the prestige shop

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
She does usually use a sword, but yeah I think the MVS depiction will only use the spear to make her more different. Doesn't really change my main point.
she used a sword in her original appearances but when she was 're-introduced a few years ago they switched to her whip like spear

Yeah, the Staff of Understanding will do a lot for Nubia in terms of moveset intrigue. I want any and all DC in this game so I'm going to eat her up regardless.

As for BG - no, people didn't warm up to him. They learned to ignore his existence, no matter how much they keep trying to make him their meme mascot
Way to remind me of that, LMAO. They really did try to have Banana Guard be their "thing" of sorts, huh? That's wild.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah, the Staff of Understanding will do a lot for Nubia in terms of moveset intrigue. I want any and all DC in this game so I'm going to eat her up regardless.

Way to remind me of that, LMAO. They really did try to have Banana Guard be their "thing" of sorts, huh? That's wild.
And they keep doing it. Have you noticed how he shows up in literally every trailer and frequently features in rifts? How they gave him now one but two meme emotes during Season 2?

It's not funny, it's never been funny, and I'm sick of them trying to force us to like him. Sure, maybe we would - if he had a creative moveset or a less annoying voice or stopped trying to be funny. It's not charming, it's not cute, it's just obnoxiously cringey that they want him to be their mascot. I don't like Reindog either but at least he was in from the very beginning and is at least kind of cute (and he doesn't talk).

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I want to point that the powerpuff girls being a trio fighter and having attacks that work for just the three together sounds really great, it might show a good example of why mordecai & rigby would work well as a duo fighter because i've already mentioned before how i think they work so much better when they're a team.
The PPG have the excuse of there being three of them and that they're often portrayed as a unit as much as they are individuals.

They aren't going to put Mordecai and Rigby in one slot when Finn and Jake aren't and Rick and Morty aren't. They're going to want two friends playing co-op to play as Mordecai and Rigby together.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll admit power puff girls' moveset looks interesting, even to me who's never watched the show

also I was reading up on Nubia, didn't know she was DC's first black female super hero.

It honestly speaks volumes of DC's quality that I went from not caring for any of it to wanting numerous characters from it after Multiversus convinced me to give it a chance. And I only watched a few animated movies. No wonder this franchise has generational pop culture dominance, DC deserves so many characters. I invite Aquaman, Blue Beetle, Zatanna, Darkseid, and countless others to shine in this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom