• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
RWBY has officially been acquired by Viz Media.

As a result, I think it’s safe to say all RWBY reps chances for Multiversus are now 0.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think it's a flaw of the source material available. It's either shows or movies with hollywood staff that aren't feasable for a game budget. At the very least they can hire the original VAs from the cartoons and shows so that's neat i guess.

It does make you wonder if "voice actor theory" could be a thing, given how a lot of cartoons have overlapping actors and certain characters get new voicelines could point to a future addition.

Example: Bugs got new voicelines this patch, which also coincides with the Foghorn Leghorn announcer (both voiced by Eric Bauza). Also the fact that Aquaman and Samurai Jack are also both played by Phil Lamar, which might indicate both being recorded at the same time
I think to some extent some characters might be chosen on voice actors availability, but I don't think it's really a huge deal because if that was the case, we wouldn't have got Agent Smith at all, nor Iron giant for example. But I guess it's a case by case basis and it might depends of the characters, I think some characters are just way too associated with their actors to be in the game if the actors isn't available. I don't really believe in a "voice actor theory" because I think characters are chosen on their own merits, not just "let's add every Looney Tunes characters because Eric Bauza is easy to work with!"

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

As a result, I think it’s safe to say all RWBY reps chances for Multiversus are now 0.
I don't necessarily think so. If content from it is already in the game, there's the possibility they've already paid the licensing fees; Viz Media may also see it as equivocally free advertising to maintain the contract to include content for their new property in the game, though weirdly, if true, it would make RWBY our first "third party" franchise in a weird parallel to of all things Banjo-Kazooie. Being a former second party IP that would later become third party.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't necessarily think so. If content from it is already in the game, there's the possibility they've already paid the licensing fees; Viz Media may also see it as equivocally free advertising to maintain the contract to include content for their new property in the game, though weirdly, if true, it would make RWBY our first "third party" franchise in a weird parallel to of all things Banjo-Kazooie. Being a former second party IP that would later become third party.
That is interesting. Let us hope content from RWBY does get in!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Example: Bugs got new voicelines this patch, which also coincides with the Foghorn Leghorn announcer (both voiced by Eric Bauza). Also the fact that Aquaman and Samurai Jack are also both played by Phil Lamar, which might indicate both being recorded at the same time
I definitely think looking at voice work is an underused piece of speculation - especially if recasts are involved. It reminds me of how the actor that plays Shagworthy also does the Gremlins characters. Obviously you couldn't have speculated with this, because I'm pretty sure this is the first time in both roles, but it sets a precedent.

I bring this up because Roger Craig Smith voices The Batman Who Laughs, for I think the first time. Obviously he's played Batman before, but why would you get specifically RCS instead of the gazillion other actors who have played the character and are probably cheaper - unless it's not just for TBWL?

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord

I wouldn't say so. If ruby is already being worked on, while not impossible it gets scrapped, they could see it as worthwhile to keep, since we have fringe cases like Jason anyway. If Viz wants the free advertising for their new product they'll go for it

Ivander

Smash Legend
Probably the quickest way we'll find out is if the data for the stuff from Rwby gets taken out in future updates and datamines. If they get taken out in future datamines, that pretty much says it all, but if they stay in future datamines and even get development updates, there's still hope.

I've been thinking about the most contentious character in the datamines, and I think I realized something that makes their inclusion a bit better imo.
I'm talking about Mr. Meeseeks obviously. Most people are opposed to the inclusion, and fair enough. I mostly came to terms with him because he's probably a low effort add like Banana Guard was. But he's not the first low effort Rick and Morty character to be talked about. They were going to be adding Pickle Rick as a clone in the beta, but it seems like they've changed their mind and went back to him being a skin. I wouldn't be surprised if Meeseeks has a lot of what they were planning for Pickle Rick, and in that context I like the inclusion a lot more. Meeseeks is a lame inclusion, but infinitely better than Pickle Rick, and I'm glad they're recycling the data instead of discarding it
what if they add both though.

This game is so cooked if they have to cut RWBY content since that's a ton of resources down the drain.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You think if this leads to Ruby getting scrapped, they'll tell us? Did they mention Gandalf when he was up in the air?
No Gandalf was never mentionned officially, and we still have no clue if he's coming or not. Apparently some of his assets came back in some of the latest patch so his status is still uncleared.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This game is so cooked if they have to cut RWBY content since that's a ton of resources down the drain.
They’ve been working on it since the beta too, so that’s gonna be an enormous waste if they haven’t figured out a way for it to still happen or if there’s enough contract/licensing stuff done that it’s too late to stop it from coming.

At least the IP didn’t become a tax write off I guess. I can’t imagine how hard it must be pitching characters when everything’s getting purged left and right.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They’ve been working on it since the beta too, so that’s gonna be an enormous waste if they haven’t figured out a way for it to still happen or if there’s enough contract/licensing stuff done that it’s too late to stop it from coming.

At least the IP didn’t become a tax write off I guess. I can’t imagine how hard it must be pitching characters when everything’s getting purged left and right.
That's why I don't think this game is gonna last much longer. WBD is too unstable right now.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's why I don't think this game is gonna last much longer. WBD is too unstable right now.
In fairness, live service games are what they're pivoting towards, not away from. We'll know more about the ultimate fate of the game around April, I imagine...the end of the fiscal year.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In fairness, live service games are what they're pivoting towards, not away from. We'll know more about the ultimate fate of the game around April, I imagine...the end of the fiscal year.
And live service games have seen more failures recently than successes. We've had Babylon's Fall, Marvel's Avengers, Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League, and more completely crash and burn.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And live service games have seen more failures recently than successes. We've had Babylon's Fall, Marvel's Avengers, Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League, and more completely crash and burn.
Obviously. But The Suits™, in all of their ineptitude, are insistent on it as a format regardless. My point is that I'd wait until the end of the fiscal year to write the game off as dead. At the very least it will absolutely outlast the Suicide Squad game.

My only hope is that someone is able to get a pirated offline version ready for download before the EoS lmao.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The difference is, despite everything, this game has still managed to be successful.

kylexv

Smash Master
Opened all of my Shark Week boxes. Here's what I got:

Day 1: Shark Hat Velma
Day 2: Shark Hat LeBron
Day 3: Shark Hat Shaggy
Day 4: Shark Hat Black Adam
Day 5: Shark Hat Superman
Day 6: Shark Hat Wonder Woman
Day 7: Shark Hat Batman
Day 8: Shark Hat Steven

Funnily enough, if you count Harley from the Shark Week challenges, I got the shark hats for every DC character and every Scooby Doo character.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Those games were live service and full price, which is why they sold poorly and the few people who bought the game didn't want to spend anymore money. MVS is free so it's a totally different scenario. I think the game will be fine, the player base seems to have stabilised (on Steam) and the latest patch have gotten a very good reception.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Day 1: Shaggy
Day 2: Banner
Day 3: Gizmo
Day 4: Superman
Day 5: Arya
Day 6: Tom & Jerry
Day 7: Batman
Day 8: Stripe

Some decent gets, though Arya is the one I wished I got a Shark hat for another character.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
When did Uncle Shagworthy get updated animations? Are they new in today's update or did I just not notice them until now? He used to have the same entrance, win, and lose animations as Shaggy, but now he has unique ones!

Ivander

Smash Legend
When did Uncle Shagworthy get updated animations? Are they new in today's update or did I just not notice them until now? He used to have the same entrance, win, and lose animations as Shaggy, but now he has unique ones!
Yep, they're definitely new as he did have Shaggy's animations before the update.

It was kinda odd beforehand that he didn't have new animations from Shaggy since all the other Legendary skins did, so nice that he has some new ones.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Eh… people want Jotaro and he’s also Viz. It’s not like Viz is unreasonable either, from what I can remember. :iwatadirect:
But it was actually me.png

(It's an old meme, likely ancient by meme standards, and you likely might not think that Jotaro would be added to Multiversus, but I couldn't resist. They added Smith instead of Neo, so it's not unheard of - plus, he can drop steamrollers, or rather ROAD ROLLERs, on people, on top of throwing knives, using eye lasers, having access to Joseph's Stand for some reason, etc.)

Last edited:

That will be a grim display of things to come if they can't get RWBY in. MVS isn't in the position to be throwing away that kind of work if they didn't even have Agent Smith done in a timely manner, they were so far in development with Rwby that they had banners and stuff ready.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That will be a grim display of things to come if they can't get RWBY in. MVS isn't in the position to be throwing away that kind of work if they didn't even have Agent Smith done in a timely manner, they were so far in development with Rwby that they had banners and stuff ready.
It wouldn't even be their fault if it came to that, that's the worst part. They had every intention of having RWBY stuff in this game before WB got its ass in a knot.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Kinda unrelated, but is there a source for this? This is the first time I'm hearing about this and the wiki doesn't show the name of his voice actor.
Yeah there's no source on that it's just speculation, personally I think it sounds more like Troy Baker (who also played both Batman and Joker in the past so I think it would make sense) but it's hard to tell because the voice is so modified.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got Uber Jason yesterday, so that felt good.

I also have enough currency to afford two characters (one with fighter currency, one with Gleamium), though I'm not sure who to get. (though I might save the Gleamium for the next battlepass, since I see that the battlepasses cost 950)

ivanlerma

Smash Master
I used a playstation gift card and used half of it to get 1000 gleamium to unlock half the battle pass, so now i just unlocked the banana guards ringout, the joker profile "The Clown Prince of Crime", and i think the taunt for bugs signaling someone to him towards a trap.

So, now i'm up to get Safari Velma and will be in the tier with Jason's Moonwalk Taunt hopefully i'll give myself more time to get it.

CrashBandicootFan1

Smash Cadet
I am hoping that Ariana Grande collabs with MultiVersus at some point
The only thing we should get (If Ari collabs with this game) is a Announcer pack and a Stage with 1 of Ariana's songs orchestrated for the stage

Just that and not make Ariana a playable character

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I am hoping that Ariana Grande collabs with MultiVersus at some point
Honestly my take on real person is that I'm not 100% against it, but they need to have a really strong ties to WB. I think Lebron was already kind of pushing it, but honestly he kind of grew with me because 1. He have cool skins potentials thanks to the Space Jam 2 worlds, which makes him fits in the Multiversus worlds quite well (like him having a Themyscira and Robin skins). 2. Is moveset is genuinely one of the most creative moveset in a platform fighters and 3. He's kind of memable, but he doesn't feel like a "meme pick" like Pickle Rick would (the fact that he have the J. R. Smith yelling as an atack is an example of that). I think Eric Andre could work for example because of his show on CN and he also has meme potential, but I don't see Ariana Grande working in the same way.

I think the closest way we could get Ariana Grande is if somehow they add Glinda the good witch from Wizard of Oz, and then as a skin they add Ariana Grande's face similar to The Rock Black Adam based on the Wicked portrayal... But Wicked isn't published by WB but it's by Universal so I'm not sure it would work.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Kinda unrelated, but is there a source for this? This is the first time I'm hearing about this and the wiki doesn't show the name of his voice actor.
Sorry about the misinformation. I heard people speculating it was RCS and I thought it was confirmed. Bit weird his VA isn't confirmed, but whatever.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the voice actor who plays TBWL is doing another character.

Top Bottom